• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Most common languages on the camino

Stellere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2014 - con mi padre
Which languages did you encounter most often on the camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, my experience is similar to Doug, with the addition of French. To some extent the language you encounter most will be self-selecting - if you're part of an English speaking group it will attract other speakers of English (either as a first or other language). Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
English is certainly the modern lingua franca amongst pilgrims, Spanish the language of the neighbors, but also the most-spoken language when you are on the way in July/August (university holidays ect), in spring and autumn / fall French and German are pretty common. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have even heard the odd spattering of Irish. :)
did u see tg4 ronan an camino, ?he found irish speakers on his camino ,interesting short series,
I am irish but however can hardly string a sentence together in irish ,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
did u see tg4 ronan an camino, ?he found irish speakers on his camino ,interesting short series,
I am irish but however can hardly string a sentence together in irish ,
I did see Ronans series, well the first two anyway, I did not like it, too contrived, but thats another topic. My wife and I speak Irish when we want some privacy. It's very handy. :)

The language of love, tolerance, understanding, comprehension, enjoyment. !

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'd say - English, Spanish, Dutch, German ; then French, Italian ; then the rest.

German would be in the second group, except they tend to congregate somewhat noisily, making their presence more noticeable ... :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Regarding the Francés: I have only walked in the summer so balance tipped towards Spanish, Italian and French. As a hospitalera I found the same, luckily (for me) the Italian understand Spanish and I also speak French. This year there were definately more English-speaking pilgrims than last year - at least where I was placed on the Francés.
Along the Via de la Plata in the summer (2011 and 2013) there were mostly Spanish speaking pilgrims.

A lot of people on the Camino speak some english. We had very little trouble with language.
The workers in the cafes often don't speak english, but it really wasn't a problem.

Being from America, we have a very highly inflated view that everyone should speak English! I think it is incredibly rude to assume that when you go to a foreign country others will speak your native language. So please, everyone try to learn at least a basic level of Spanish so that you may at least attempt to speak the native language. I am not a fluent Spanish speaker, but during my 2011 trip to Spain I found it very helpful to know some. Plus I believe the locals will appreciate your attempt to assimilate by speaking their language. Now, that being said the Spanish I know best is Latin American Spanish and the formal Castillion Spanish is a little different. Buen Camino. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! I speak French, English and Spanish - but I was wondering what other languages I might hear. I'm a linguaphile, so the more languages I hear, the better! ;)

Did anyone learn any basic phrases in Basque or Galician? Would that come in handy?

I wasn't trying to be rude. I am well aware of the "ugly american" syndrome. I didn't say they should
speak english, I simply stated a fact that many do speak english. I do agree that it is a good idea to know some of the key phrases
that will help you along the camino. It is fun learning them as you walk.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! I speak French, English and Spanish - but I was wondering what other languages I might hear. I'm a linguaphile, so the more languages I hear, the better! ;)

Did anyone learn any basic phrases in Basque or Galician? Would that come in handy?

Locals appreciate it greatly if pilgrims try at least to say a few words in Basque ( in Euskal Herria) or Galician ( in Galizia).

English Basque

Hi Kaixo
Bye Agur
Friend Lagun
Beer Garagardoa
Please Mesedez
Thank you very much Mil Esker

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wasn't trying to be rude. I am well aware of the "ugly american" syndrome. I didn't say they should
speak english, I simply stated a fact that many do speak english. I do agree that it is a good idea to know some of the key phrases
that will help you along the camino. It is fun learning them as you walk.
In spring 2010, I didn't detect too many 'ugly americans' by which I presume you mean US travellers rather than the many Americans who already speak Spanish or Portuguese. I found most US and Canadian pilgrims I met didn't engage in the more obnoxious behaviours I had seen elsewhere in my travels.

I think the worst I saw on a pilgrimage was in 2012 walking St Olav's Way in Norway. There was a week or so where I was unable to avoid a woman from the state of Washington. Amongst other things. she would engage local Norse in 'conversation' with the line 'would you like to know what Americans think about your country?' and without waiting for a response proceed to do so. Aside from her own unlimited arrogance in presuming she spoke for all of the US, it was clearly unwelcome in cases, but this woman wasn't perceptive enough to detect that. Her travelling companion was, and you could see her wince whenever this line got inserted into the conversation.

I often wonder whether anyone will ever match her as an ugly US tourist.

I did see Ronans series, well the first two anyway, I did not like it, too contrived, but thats another topic. My wife and I speak Irish when we want some privacy. It's very handy. :)

Agree It was v contrived and will put some people off the Camino. Exaggerated in places to make "TV"

Spanish, German French, English (native English speakers). Many non-native English speakers do speak English as a second language, but not all, especially in the small villages along the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Which languages did you encounter most often on the camino?
According to the statistics on this site (http://www.caminodesantiago.me/2012-pilgrim-statistics/) the languages break down as follows (in 2012, rounded):
Spanish 52%
English 11%
German 9%
Portugese 6.5%
Italian 6.5%
French 4.3%
Others 11%
By sound-level, especially in the evenings on the streets, plazas and in the restaurants, english seems to prevail, often annoyingly so. Normally nice and courteous individuals often are obtrusively loud when gathered in groups, but on my Camino last September I felt that anglo-saxons stood out! A few beers and the cheering became obnoxious, more reminiscent of a rodeo than a pilgrimage, an embarrassment. These people forget that they are visiting guests.
How is this perceived by others?

Pierre aka Don Pedro

PS to JabbaPapa:
.....German would be in the second group, except they tend to congregate somewhat noisily, making their presence more noticeable ... :D
While Europeans generally resent the Germans for being loud, they are completely subdued by english tongues on the Camino :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
While Europeans generally resent the Germans for being loud, they are completely subdued by english tongues on the Camino :cool:
I cannot remember the German pilgrims being loud, but I do remember thinking, sometime after Sarria, that every Spanish peregrina thought she had the most beautiful voice in the world, and she was going to make sure that every other pilgrim within several hundred metres knew it.

[/QUOTE]I have even heard the odd spattering of Irish. attachFull6904
Suas an bothar leat, wayfarer.

For me it was Spanish, Italian, English, German and Korean in that order.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Being from America, we have a very highly inflated view that everyone should speak English!
Replace SHOULD with DO and I think you have it about right. Germanic countries especially feed this view in Europe. I was told by a German friend that everyone in our generation or younger speak English. Period. But the older generation does not. And from what I understand, TV in countries like Norway and Sweden is often in English. Plus in my experiences in secondary education, there are many programs in non-English speaking countries that are taught in English.

These are some reasons I think that anglophones don't immerse themselves in cultures as much as they should. It's too easy to find people that speak English! I'm hoping to get away from that this summer when I start my camino from Le Puy.

My wife and I speak a lot of Indonesian to each other. It is the only language we have in which we can be fairly sure of a private conversation (though the Australians seem to be learning it)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife and I speak a lot of Indonesian to each other. It is the only language we have in which we can be fairly sure of a private conversation (though the Australians seem to be learning it)
Same as that, my wife and I speak Irish to each other when we want a private conversation.

newfydog said:
Same as that, my wife and I speak Irish to each other when we want a private conversation.
Smiling at these. We would speak Wichi - an Amer-Indian language, not many Wichi speakers outside of a certain area of S America :)

Seriously on the routes we have walked - predominantly Spanish

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spanish is the most prevalent language on the Camino Frances, once you leave Orisson. Remember you are in Spain, and as a general thing the Spanish do not speak English as a second language to the same degree that most Europeans do these days. Never assume that someone will understand English.

As a global traveler for more than 35 years, I have learned that it always pays to learn at least some basic phrases in the lingua franca of the place you are going, regardless of where it is. It surprises the heck out of a Japanese pilgrim on the Camino to be greeted in Japanese by an American, or a Thai in Thai, a Flemand (Belgian) in Dutch, and so on. It certainly serves as an ice breaker. So, when in Spain...

In preparation for my first Camino this year, I bought the Berlitz tourist phrase book with CD course. I ripped the CD to my iTunes library and put it on my iPod. I listened to it repeatedly during my training walks. Bear in mind that many of the people you will encounter in shops (tiendas), pharmacies, albuergues and hostals, etc. will only speak Spanish. You will need at least a basic command of useful phrases to be understood.

Originally, I made a folded "cheat sheet" for the most needed phrases. Those that I could not remember, I used to point to at a check-in desk or sales counter. But carrying paper it tiresome, adds to weight, and the paper gets wet and tattered after a coupe of weeks in my pocket. Also, smart phone, verbal translators do not work as fast or as robustly as you might think. They do not work well for spur of the moment exchanges as well as old fashioned paper.

So, in preparation for my upcoming Camino, I am preparing a list of most needed phrases based on my experience and I will translate them in advance then copy the English and Spanish phrases to the Notes app on my iPod Touch. Each category will have a separate "note." Category examples include: buying stuff, getting an albuergue bed, getting a hotel or hostal room, finding a bus or train, asking for items at a pharmacy, etc. Then I will not need Wi-Fi or a cellular signal to have a conversation. More importantly, this approach does not increase my weight.

This said, after Spanish, the "second" language of the Camino Frances seemed to be English, in some form. Just be flexible and polite...

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back