• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Multiple night stays in Saint Jean

Terri B

Time of past OR future Camino
1998 St Cuthberts Way, 1999 West Highland Way, 2016 & 2019 SJPDP to Santiago, 2020 Porto to Santiago
Does anyone know whether you can stay multiple nights in any alberge in Saint Jean? I arrive late on 29 August from Oz and want to stay in Saint Jean a few nights before starting to get myself on European time etc after 24+ hours of travel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would imagine it should not be a problem in the Private albergues, you will have plenty time to email them and check.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would imagine it should not be a problem in the Private albergues, you will have plenty time to email them and check.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Thanks wayfarer, true I do have some time to organise myself.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Terri, A couple of years ago, I stayed in Auberge du Pelerin http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/fr/l-auberge-du-pelerin--t10.html for two nights and, many years ago, stayed in l'Esprit du Chemin for three nights. L'Esprit is now under different ownership and is Gite Beilari http://www.beilari.info/en

I believe the maximum gite stay is three nights. My stays were at the end of pilgrimages when I was trying to make sense of what I had learnt along the way and I desperately wanted to maintain pilgrim contact which is why I chose to stay in a gite. However, it is not what I would choose in order to recover from jetlag because you need to leave your accommodation when the pilgrims vacate in the morning and return again with the new intake in the afternoon. To have adequate rest and come and go as you please, I would go for a hotel. I have stayed in Hotel Restaurant des Remparts http://www.hoteldesremparts.fr/remparts/gb/hoteldesremparts.htm a couple of times and found it comfortable.

Hi Terri,

I love the idea not to rush the start!

I have stayed multiple nights at a couple of gites in SJPP: Gite Etoile (http://www.pelerinage-saint-jacques-compostelle.com/en/gite) and Gite Beilari when it was L'Esprit du Chemin (http://www.pelerinage-saint-jacques-compostelle.com/en/gite). Both will have English-speakers on hand, and both will be able to respond to emails in English.

Keep in mind that gites close during the day, from around 9:00m to 4:00pm, and everyone has to be out during those hours. If you want to have access to your room and the facility during the day hours, you will need to book into a hotel or B&B.

Maybe get a private room for a couple of nights, then move to a gite for the night before you walk so you can meet up with pilgrims starting on the same day?

Enjoy your journey!

Nancy

Does anyone know whether you can stay multiple nights in any alberge in Saint Jean? I arrive late on 29 August from Oz and want to stay in Saint Jean a few nights before starting to get myself on European time etc after 24+ hours of travel.
Hi Terri, why don't you ask about volunteering opportunities, mabye you can get a few nights free of charge including free meals :) Please let me know I might do that myself.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Terri, A couple of years ago, I stayed in Auberge du Pelerin http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/fr/l-auberge-du-pelerin--t10.html for two nights and, many years ago, stayed in l'Esprit du Chemin for three nights. L'Esprit is now under different ownership and is Gite Beilari http://www.beilari.info/en

I believe the maximum gite stay is three nights. My stays were at the end of pilgrimages when I was trying to make sense of what I had learnt along the way and I desperately wanted to maintain pilgrim contact which is why I chose to stay in a gite. However, it is not what I would choose in order to recover from jetlag because you need to leave your accommodation when the pilgrims vacate in the morning and return again with the new intake in the afternoon. To have adequate rest and come and go as you please, I would go for a hotel. I have stayed in Hotel Restaurant des Remparts http://www.hoteldesremparts.fr/remparts/gb/hoteldesremparts.htm a couple of times and found it comfortable.
And I can recommend Hotel Ramuntcho. It is very central to everything in St Jean, is very comfortable and pristine clean. The views out over the Pyrenees from some of the rooms are amazing as well.

Not sure if you will get much rest being booted out of an albergue for several hours everyday. Maybe stay your last night at an albergue, but the other nights stay at a hotel?
I stayed at the Central Hotel on my first CF. It was very nice. My room's window overlooked the small river there in SJPdP and I could hear it at night. Too cool.

I doubt you would need any more than 2 nights, I think you might find yourself impatient to start. I find walking is an excellent cure for jetlag. When I had to stay in SJPDP for a few days wsiting for a travelling companion I used a B&B (chambre d'hotes) and it was luxurious - more expensive than a gite but worth it to have my own room and be able to come and go as I wanted.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How's your French or Basque?
Non existent William. Unfortunately learning other languages wasn't a priority in Oz when I was at School. It has since changed but too late for me to pick up another language with ease. Hence my struggling with Spanish.

Thanks Julie, I'll check out some If your suggestions.

Hi Terri,

I love the idea not to rush the start!

I have stayed multiple nights at a couple of gites in SJPP: Gite Etoile (http://www.pelerinage-saint-jacques-compostelle.com/en/gite) and Gite Beilari when it was L'Esprit du Chemin (http://www.pelerinage-saint-jacques-compostelle.com/en/gite). Both will have English-speakers on hand, and both will be able to respond to emails in English.

Keep in mind that gites close during the day, from around 9:00m to 4:00pm, and everyone has to be out during those hours. If you want to have access to your room and the facility during the day hours, you will need to book into a hotel or B&B.

Maybe get a private room for a couple of nights, then move to a gite for the night before you walk so you can meet up with pilgrims starting on the same day?

Enjoy your journey!

Nancy
Thanks Nancy I'll check them out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Terri, why don't you ask about volunteering opportunities, mabye you can get a few nights free of charge including free meals :) Please let me know I might do that myself.
Thanks Norwegianwalker I see what I can find.

And I can recommend Hotel Ramuntcho. It is very central to everything in St Jean, is very comfortable and pristine clean. The views out over the Pyrenees from some of the rooms are amazing as well.
Thanks Maryimelda I'll check it out.

I doubt you would need any more than 2 nights, I think you might find yourself impatient to start. I find walking is an excellent cure for jetlag. When I had to stay in SJPDP for a few days wsiting for a travelling companion I used a B&B (chambre d'hotes) and it was luxurious - more expensive than a gite but worth it to have my own room and be able to come and go as I wanted.
Thanks Kanga. Might need to rethink the number of nights then or book 2 nights and see how I feel. Only problem is how flexible are they at Orisson with bookings. I was going to split the first leg and only goes as far as there on the first day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not sure if you will get much rest being booted out of an albergue for several hours everyday. Maybe stay your last night at an albergue, but the other nights stay at a hotel?
I stayed at the Central Hotel on my first CF. It was very nice. My room's window overlooked the small river there in SJPdP and I could hear it at night. Too cool.
Thanks Mark, I'll check it out.

I've been considering the same thing. I arrive on July 3 but plan to book a hotel for the first night to get a good rest travelling from Canada. I'll wander around for a full day and check into the alberge on the 4th. I think one good night's rest should do it. I think the advice of walking off the jetlag is a great idea.

Hi Terri
We also travelled from Australia and stayed 2 nights in St Jean at the Hotel Ramuntcho. Found it comfortable and well located. We walked all around for the 2 days. There's the pilgrim office, a well equipped outdoor store for all the stuff you still need but never knew existed, a wonderful spice and tea shop and a chocolate shop!!! I had my birthday there before we started and ended up with 1kg of chocolate (!) that I gave away to departing pilgrims. So there's plenty to do and see (we spent an afternoon walking around the citadel) as well as lots of places to eat.

I agree with @Kanga that 2 nights will probably be enough. Watching pilgrims leave makes you eager to be on your way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Auberge du Pelerin for me also. I've stayed there twice, 2 nights both times. Came and went throughout the day, no prob. They like you to have the evening meal there, but I'm over lentil soup. The town cafes will give you an idea of what the local food consists of. That's part of the travel experience right?
Regards & Buen Camino
Gerard

Hi Terri
We also travelled from Australia and stayed 2 nights in St Jean at the Hotel Ramuntcho. Found it comfortable and well located. We walked all around for the 2 days. There's the pilgrim office, a well equipped outdoor store for all the stuff you still need but never knew existed, a wonderful spice and tea shop and a chocolate shop!!! I had my birthday there before we started and ended up with 1kg of chocolate (!) that I gave away to departing pilgrims. So there's plenty to do and see (we spent an afternoon walking around the citadel) as well as lots of places to eat.

I agree with @Kanga that 2 nights will probably be enough. Watching pilgrims leave makes you eager to be on your way.
Thanks Meri, I took Kanga's advice and am only doing 2 nights in SJPDP at Gite Azkorria and have split day 1 by staying at Orisson.

Auberge du Pelerin for me also. I've stayed there twice, 2 nights both times. Came and went throughout the day, no prob. They like you to have the evening meal there, but I'm over lentil soup. The town cafes will give you an idea of what the local food consists of. That's part of the travel experience right?
Regards & Buen Camino
Gerard
Thanks Gerard trying all the local food is a must!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Non existent William. Unfortunately learning other languages wasn't a priority in Oz when I was at School. It has since changed but too late for me to pick up another language with ease. Hence my struggling with Spanish.[/QUOTE)

Might try the app Duo Lingo. It is free. I have finished the Spanish lesson and am doing a bit of French now. We are staying one night at a Paris airport hotel before we go on to SJPDP to help with jet lag.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back