• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting late from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

WalkingDutchman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés August 2023
Hi everyone!

This August I'll be walking my first Camino, for a total of 31 walking days to Santiago! I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while now, gathering all the valuable info that I can get, but I still have a doubt which I hope you'll be able to help me with.

I'm arriving at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port at 10 am from Bordeaux on August 2nd. Initially, I planned to spend the night there and leave early the next day to get to Roncesvalles in time to get a bed at the public albergue. But lately I've been thinking I could gain a precious extra day by leaving on the same day of my arrival, right after I get my credencial and buy something to eat.

This would mean I'd start walking at around 11 am. Now, I know that the path to Roncesvalles is quite difficult to walk, but I have already done some hikes of comparable distance without trouble in the past, and since I am young and fairly used to physical effort I believe (or hope) that fatigue will not be a concern. Assuming it takes me 6-7 hours to reach Roncesvalles, I would arrive at around 5-6pm. Do you think that's too late to get a bed at the public albergue?

Please tell me what you think and thank you already for your help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, nay, no, thrice nay! 😀

Give yourself a break.

Getting to SJPP no doubt involves all kinds of stresses. Give your body, and especially your mind, the chance to settle, and to absorb where you are and about to do.

SJPP is a pretty place on its own and deserves a bit of time.

One of the truly great experiences of my life - not just the Camino - was witnessing the pretty unique atmosphere early in the morning in SJPP as a rag tag bunch of people headed off and up.

You'll miss that magical "first day" moment and miss a lot of the camraderie and fun along the way.

You only get one chance to start your first Camino. Why in the name of whatever would you want to rush that?

Besides, you're putting a lot of faith in the French public transport system to be punctual - if it's not on strike 😀

On a side note, while I understand the importance of time in logistics and planning I can't stress enough how a focus on time and progress will work against many of the benefits that a Camino can offer. I've met so many people in so many places that hadn't a clue where they were because they were rushing to somewhere else.

Slow down.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @WalkingDutchman you’ll get plenty of opinions on this … I’d just say if starting late morning in August and planning to walk to Roncesvalles, consider that it may be hot by the time you start and increasingly so as the day progresses. That could be a factor in possible fatigue. 🥵

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, nay, no, thrice nay! 😀

Give yourself a break.

Getting to SJPP no doubt involves all kinds of stresses. Give your body, and especially your mind, the chance to settle, and to absorb where you are and about to do.

SJPP is a pretty place on its own and deserves a bit of time.

One of the truly great experiences of my life - not just the Camino - was witnessing the pretty unique atmosphere early in the morning in SJPP as a rag tag bunch of people headed off and up.

You'll miss that magical "first day" moment and miss a lot of the camraderie and fun along the way.

You only get one chance to start your first Camino. Why in the name of whatever would you want to rush that?

Besides, you're putting a lot of faith in the French public transport system to be punctual - if it's not on strike 😀

On a side note, while I understand the importance of time in logistics and planning I can't stress enough how a focus on time and progress will work against many of the benefits that a Camino can offer. I've met so many people in so many places that hadn't a clue where they were because they were rushing to somewhere else.

Slow down.
Hi everyone!

This August I'll be walking my first Camino, for a total of 31 walking days to Santiago! I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while now, gathering all the valuable info that I can get, but I still have a doubt which I hope you'll be able to help me with.

I'm arriving at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port at 10 am from Bordeaux on August 2nd. Initially, I planned to spend the night there and leave early the next day to get to Roncesvalles in time to get a bed at the public albergue. But lately I've been thinking I could gain a precious extra day by leaving on the same day of my arrival, right after I get my credencial and buy something to eat.

This would mean I'd start walking at around 11 am. Now, I know that the path to Roncesvalles is quite difficult to walk, but I have already done some hikes of comparable distance without trouble in the past, and since I am young and fairly used to physical effort I believe (or hope) that fatigue will not be a concern. Assuming it takes me 6-7 hours to reach Roncesvalles, I would arrive at around 5-6pm. Do you think that's too late to get a bed at the public albergue?

Hi everyone!

I suggest you arrive in SJPP, if necessary-take care of any last minute preparations-(luggage transfer, purchase forgotton gear, snacks, etc.) and enjoy the little town. Start fresh early next morning and enjoy the cool crisp air and quiet countryside. Buen camino. :)

First of all thank you all for your quick and helpful replies!

I know that I shouldn't rush it. I'm trying not to overplan and just let things happen, but still time is a factor to take into consideration. This is why I'm trying to gain some extra time, otherwise I'd agree with you completely. 😞

I guess that my doubts stem from the fear that I won't be able to get to Santiago in 31 days. Maybe you could give me some comfort in this regard?

@Flatlander makes a lot of strong points regarding staying in SJPP your first night. In hindsight, a mistake I made on a couple of my early Caminos was that of rushing my pilgrimage to Santiago. The last time my wife and I arrived in SJPP, we, too, got there mid-morning. We were very pleased to have spent the remainder of the day there sorting a few things out, buying some supplies, doing a bit of sightseeing, meeting fellow pilgrims, and most of all, getting some much needed rest after a long, overnight trans-Atlantic flight. We were much more refreshed the next day crossing the Pyrenees.

If you are inclined to start walking the first day, @Tincatinker offers some good advice regarding taking the Valcarlos Route for the reasons he states. However, and I’ve walked both routes, on a beautiful day, my preference would be to take the Napoleon Route over the mountains due to the views and the camraderie you’d be able to have with more pilgrims going that way.

I walked the CF in 31 days so I know you have plenty of time to get there without hurrying. No need to rush away from SJPP if you don’t need to. Nonetheless, either way you do it, because I don’t know the numbers of pilgrims who will be leaving the same time you are, I’d recommend making a bed reservation in Roncesvalles. So, regardless of the time you arrive, you’ll have a bed waiting for you. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I know that I shouldn't rush it. I'm trying not to overplan and just let things happen, but still time is a factor to take into consideration. This is why I'm trying to gain some extra time, otherwise I'd agree with you completely. 😞

I guess that my doubts stem from the fear that I won't be able to get to Santiago in 31 days. Maybe you could give me some comfort in this regard?

Then don't 🙂
Rushing those first few days is the fastest way to screw up your Camino through injury,,,

The Camino is not a race.
It's best enjoyed at a relaxed pace, whatever that is for you.
Chill......

If you have to make up time later, once you are into the rhythm, you probably can.
Or even later, jump forward a day.
That's not the end of the World.

Start out.........relaxed............not in a mad rush ;)

OK, so how many times do you intend to walk the camino? If you check out the signatures of people who have already answered you´ll notice that most of them have walked several caminos, as I suspect might you. To be brief, there is no particular virtue in starting at SJPdP, especially if it means doing so might jeopardise your arrival in Santiago. If you only have 30 days available perhaps you should adjust the distance, not the speed. You will have many opportunities to come back and walk sections you missed or (even better) a different route entirely. If I were in your position, I´d start at Pamplona and give yourself time to really appreciate the experience.

but still time is a factor to take into consideration.
It may be.
Ask yourself the question......
if time is to be "made up" on a 31 day walk is saving time on the very first day the best way to go about it?

Alternatively, do you want to "do" a Camino or do you want to "experience" a Camino?

To be absolutely brutal, no. Sorry. I know that seems unkind.

How can anyone do that? We know nothing of you or your abilities.

However, the good news is that lots of people have done it. If you're reasonably fit and healthy and remain so, there's no reason that you shouldn't.

If you can't walk all the way, or decide to explore a few places along the way, you can always grab a bus. Do you have a problem with that?

I know that I shouldn't rush it.
Serious question. Why are you asking about a late first day then?

If you are not going to be able to relax in SJPP and be fretting about "lost time" then by all means head off.
Personally, I'd be wary of setting a precedent and I'd be looking at exploring how I can cool my mind in the meantime. Or researching an alternative.

@dick bird has a sensible solution,
however
as I suspect might you
I see no basis for that assumption
there is no particular virtue in starting at SJPdP,
and I couldn't disagree more strongly.

It's quite easy for people who have done one or more Caminos to opine on what you should do, but at the end of the day it's your Camino. Walk as you want to walk. There is no-one to satisfy but yourself.

The only thing I'd urge anyone is not to make decisions at home that the "Camino you" may not appreciate.

It's quite common to feel a rising sense of anxiety before something like a 31 day hike across a country. I came across a nice analogy recently that suggested the mind is filled with experience and anxiety. Lacking experience, anxiety is predominant. As the experience is acquired the anxiety diminishes and eventually disappears or at least is so small as to be insignificant.

What you're feeling is perfectly normal. How you deal with it is up to you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @WalkingDutchman I've sent you a PM that may be helpful - or not. If you haven't used the PM function before, it's the little envelope icon on top right of screen.

OK, so how many times do you intend to walk the camino? If you check out the signatures of people who have already answered you´ll notice that most of them have walked several caminos, as I suspect might you. To be brief, there is no particular virtue in starting at SJPdP, especially if it means doing so might jeopardise your arrival in Santiago. If you only have 30 days available perhaps you should adjust the distance, not the speed. You will have many opportunities to come back and walk sections you missed or (even better) a different route entirely. If I were in your position, I´d start at Pamplona and give yourself time to really appreciate the experience.
I have 31 full days to walk, 32 should I start as soon as I get to SJPdP, but that doesn't sound like a good option anymore.

I'm not afraid of not making it in 31 days because of getting tired or injured. As far as I understand you'd need to walk an average of 25km a day to get to Santiago in 31 days from SJPdP. That's a distance I've already walked in the past without feeling tired or getting injured.

The problem is that it's not always possible to follow that average everyday, for many reasons, and you eventually end up piling up too many extra km. And walking 40km instead of 25km is totally different thing. This is what I fear, but maybe I'm just stressing too much.

I have 31 full days to walk, 32 should I start as soon as I get to SJPdP, but that doesn't sound like a good option anymore.

I'm not afraid of not making it in 31 days because of getting tired or injured. As far as I understand you'd need to walk an average of 25km a day to get to Santiago in 31 days from SJPdP. That's a distance I've already walked in the past without feeling tired or getting injured.

The problem is that it's not always possible to follow that average everyday, for many reasons, and you eventually end up piling up too many extra km. And walking 40km instead of 25km is totally different thing. This is what I fear, but maybe I'm just stressing too much.
You've summed it up perfectly..."This is what I fear, but maybe I'm just stressing too much."

You *are* stressing too much. Your anxieties are perfectly normal, but don't assume that they're reality.

Since you've done a lot of hiking, I call to your memory the old adage, "To finish like a young man, start like an old one." Any endurance walker/runner can tell you the dangers of bolting out of the gate/starting at too fast a pace. Even these boards have anecdotes from people who did precisely that, and injured themselves, thus slowing down in the process.

Ultimately, it's your Camino. Give yourself permission to enjoy it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @WalkingDutchman
The Napoleon track ( via Orisson) involves an 1200 metre climb and then another 250 metre descent.
If you were to take the Valcarlos option you get a relatively easy 12 km shakedown. I can vouch for the alberque - I stayed there in 2017, plus there are a couple for reasonable eating placing. An early start the next morning will see you in Roncesvalles for lunch and then another 7km to Espinal (here I can also suggest the Haizea albergue. Small (although it does sleep 30 pilgrims (in 3 rooms)). It also has a bar and serve a good 10/15 euro meal. The following day you will be in Larrosoana and Pamplona on day 4.
Buen Camino.

Now, I know that the path to Roncesvalles is quite difficult to walk, but I have already done some hikes of comparable distance without trouble in the past, and since I am young and fairly used to physical effort I believe (or hope) that fatigue will not be a concern.
The flat equivalent distance to walk Route Napoleon is a bit more than 38 km, while Route Valcarlos is a little less at just under 36 km, broadly based on Naismith's Rule. If you maintain a walking speed of 5 km/hr, the Napoleon route will take you 7 1/2 hours plus any breaks you will need. If this is what you mean by saying you have walked comparable distances, that will stand you in good stead. It could still be a fairly late arrival at Roncesvalles if you do start from SJPP later in the day with the attendant risks of not finding a bed or a meal.

I have walked through Valcarlos both times I have walked the CF from SJPP, staying there the second time. I would rather start more slowly these days now that I am older, and taking two days was not a problem with my schedule.

It may be.
Ask yourself the question......
if time is to be "made up" on a 31 day walk is saving time on the very first day the best way to go about it?

Alternatively, do you want to "do" a Camino or do you want to "experience" a Camino?

To be absolutely brutal, no. Sorry. I know that seems unkind.

How can anyone do that? We know nothing of you or your abilities.

However, the good news is that lots of people have done it. If you're reasonably fit and healthy and remain so, there's no reason that you shouldn't.

If you can't walk all the way, or decide to explore a few places along the way, you can always grab a bus. Do you have a problem with that?

Serious question. Why are you asking about a late first day then?

If you are not going to be able to relax in SJPP and be fretting about "lost time" then by all means head off.
Personally, I'd be wary of setting a precedent and I'd be looking at exploring how I can cool my mind in the meantime. Or researching an alternative.

@dick bird has a sensible solution,
however

I see no basis for that assumption

and I couldn't disagree more strongly.

It's quite easy for people who have done one or more Caminos to opine on what you should do, but at the end of the day it's your Camino. Walk as you want to walk. There is no-one to satisfy but yourself.

The only thing I'd urge anyone is not to make decisions at home that the "Camino you" may not appreciate.

It's quite common to feel a rising sense of anxiety before something like a 31 day hike across a country. I came across a nice analogy recently that suggested the mind is filled with experience and anxiety. Lacking experience, anxiety is predominant. As the experience is acquired the anxiety diminishes and eventually disappears or at least is so small as to be insignificant.

What you're feeling is perfectly normal. How you deal with it is up to you.
No problem, brutal honesty is the best kind of honesty!

Even though I trust in my abilty to make it in 31 days, reading many contrasting opinions online concerning the number of days to walk the Frances has made me doubt I won't have enough time.

I guess the only way to find out is to just start walking and see how things go.

Hi everyone!

It really is not a difficult walk most of it is on tarmac just steep but If you’re young fit you’ll have no problems. I would advise reserving Roncesvalles and this can be done on line. When I did it in April it was fully booked.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I, too, had time constraints on my Camino Frances when I walked from SJPP last Sept. My recommendation is to take your time in the beginning. It is one of the most beautiful sections, esp walking over the Pyrenees. I ended up taking taxis twice — once from Belgrado into Burgos, which saved me 2 days walking (and walking into the large cities isn’t always scenic), and once from Molinaseca to Herrerias, saving another 2 days (I wanted to climb the hill up to O’Cebreiro). The first taxi was necessary as my feet were shot and needed a rest, the second wasn’t necessary for any reason other than time constraints. I made those decisions on the fly—they were not planned, but they allowed me to make it into Santiago for a day of rest and exploration at the end before flying home. Buen Camino!

I arrived late in SjpdP. I walked to the nice Albergue Borda, one km after Orisson. Next day I walked to Espinal
Good afternoon. I am due to start my first Camino in September and my latest thinking was to do exactly as you describe in your post. I'm reassured that you still support this. How long was the walk from SJPDP to Orisson? thanks

Hi WalkingDutchman, IMO I think a lot of the frequent commentators on the forum have forgotten what it's like to be young. They now go slow and have few time constraints.
Really, for a regular youngish fittish type who's done some hills before, it's not that tough. So I agree with LucyM above. And also with Trecile's suggestion of reserving in advance for Roncesvalles - make sure they are aware you are on track to arrive later than most (so they keep that bed for you).
However it's also important to assess conditions on the ground and if there's a heatwave on the day then starting at 11am is not a good idea. In that case, I'd cancel (or postpone if possible) my booking at Roncesvalles and hang out in SJPdP for the day, and start early the next morning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mmm. I've met (and helped treat the blisters, tendonitis, etc. of) a lot of people who started in a rush then had to do some compulsory resting because they had overdone the first few days. They weren't old, either. There is no shame in starting slow and building up speed and distance. Or, come to that, getting a bus from time to time.

I guess the only way to find out is to just start walking and see how things go.
Yes! I'm of the take it slow at the beginning school. Although I (just me) didn't really see what was so desirable about spending time in SJPP except perhaps the energy from the other pilgrims.

After you've walked for 10 days or so, if you don't think you're making enough time, just get on the bus and skip a couple of stages.

If you decide you really want to go right away, definitely make sure you book a bed in Roncevalles. Or just do a short walk to the Borda or Orrison Albergue.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked SJPDP to Roncesvalles in 6h flat. With breaks. I'm a good hiker, but there are also quite some people that are more fit.

So yes, i think it can be done.

Do I think it is a good idea? Pretty much NO, but it depends.

Some things crossing my mind:

- From what i have learned, thunderstorms usually happen later in the day. So there might be a higher risk of bad weather in the mountains.

- Most people do leave SJPDP quite early to make that challenging climb to spain. Starting late makes it likely that you will be pretty much by yourself the majority of the walk. It is not alpinism, but even on a flat road you can run into some trouble where you would be happy someone else be around.
(edit: I would also miss some company from a purely social point)

- I, very personally, would fear to have a clock ticking in my head. No idea about you. But i would hate to start my camino in a stressed out mood.

So in the end, i would chime in to either spend the day in SJPDP, which i personally wouldnt, or spend a little to much for a stay in Orisson, which is what i would do.

This is why I'm trying to gain some extra time, otherwise I'd agree with you completely. 😞Maybe you could give me some comfort in this regard?

If you ‘want to gain some extra time’ you will be able to do it with much more ease in the second half of your Camino when you are trail fit.
Too many people are forced to drop out with injuries in the first 10 days because they pushed too hard in the beginning. Start slowly and pay attention to your body.
After two weeks you will be able to string a few 30 + Km days together without too much trouble.
Buen Camino ❤️
Edit - I think you are looking to average 26 Km per day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

If you think you could be capable to get to Roncesvaless on your first day after a late start then you should be fine doing a few long stages later in your camino and 31 days will be enough.
But remember, start slow and finish like a hero!

Hi everyone!

I came from Camino just 3 weeks ago- my first, but not the last time. The concept and “attraction “ of it- is not to plan too much. Go with the flow. It wasn’t my daily routine- leave house 7 am, traffic jam on my way to the office, clients, lunch time, phone calls, emails.etc. CAMINO MAGIC! You walk, then you stop-see something beautiful, interesting, talk to someone. Have lunch in the middle of nowhere- open can of sardines, have some yesterday bread, peal the orange - see and smell it. If you don’t finish this time ( time restriction), come back next season. Elizabeth

For an average walker on their camino a month is plenty. If you are carrying your pack, not venturing off piste to visit lots of places. Dodging crowds but deciding to rest day in the cities will delay you etc

If you are just walking and wanting to complete the Frances between St Jean and Santiago... put your mind at ease, barring injury and unforeseen circumstances... you will be fine. You mention you have hiked so you should know the score

if you truly need to push it ... the first day IMHO is the worst day to do that... plenty of opportunities for extra kilometers further on down the way

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

If you are in good enough shape to get to Roncessvalles in 6 hours, you can complete the CF in under 30 days and probably also get to Fisterre assuming no injuries.

I have left SJPP at 1300 and trekked the Napoleon route to Roncessvalles by 1900 to find plenty of beds, but those arriving after 1930 were turned away. Also, that was on my 4th Camino. For first Camino, I agree with Flatlander, enjoy SJPP on your first day. It is part of the camino.

I've had a 11AM walk out (not start) from SJPP only once -- on my 1994 from Paris.

I already had several weeks of hiking in my legs, and I was walking about 5K/hour and 40K/day ; I still got in to Roncesvalles too late for the pilgrim mass, though I did get a bed, and was not too late for something to eat and drink at the bar which existed at the time.

But it was really pushing things, and I was only successful because I had been on my Camino for several weeks already and was super fast ...

I really don't think it's realistic for Day 1 of your own Camino, unless your plan were to be to stop half way instead of getting to Roncesvalles on one go. Including because getting a bed there in full Camino season in the 2020s is a lot more difficult than it used to be.

But if you really are set on walking SJPP to Roncesvalles on one go -- then I say just wait 'til morning.

Also -- if you end up going half way to Orisson -- reserve. And if you sleep at Roncesvalles -- reserve. Reserving is not usually a necessary, but in those two places it's a must, though not in Roncesvalles in the off-season (though much of the Francès will have fewer pilgrims in August than in May-June or September-October).

You say you're young and strong ? 31 days should be no problem. Fastest I've walked from SJPP (though I have never started there) was 24 days (I could have managed 21, but I decided to slow down after O Cebreiro), and my "normal" fast one in 2005 was 28 days ("slowed down" by the people I ended up walking with, whose daily averages were just 2-3 K/day lower than my "norm" that year).

4 weeks or so seems to be about the norm for the faster walkers ; and you have a 3 day buffer, which is exactly right.

Last edited:
Hi WalkingDutchman, IMO I think a lot of the frequent commentators on the forum have forgotten what it's like to be young. They now go slow and have few time constraints.
Yes and no -- I think much would depend on whether one has walked a Camino whilst still young and strong or not, and so knows what it's like to do that or not. Good point about the time constraints -- I had hard University registration ones on my 1994, so I just had to be fast !!

People who may have been hikers when young, but only walked their first Camino when older and slower may have some wrong impressions.

Hi everyone!

That precious day includes walking over the pyranees. My advice is leave a whole day to do it. There can be queues in SJPDP pilgrims office too, so can take time. Enjoy the time before you set off, I had a meal with 3 new best friends that first day before setting off and am still friends with them now. I was one of those in late April who was turned away from the monastery when I arrived. Not even floor space. I arrived at 4.45, it took me 10.5 hours to walk, it was sweltering hot and I found I was really crap at walking up hill. ( I thought I was fitish). My advice is don’t try and rush. You’ll be surprised as to what become “ special “ days. Buen Camino whatever you decide.
The camino tends to decide for you.

Hi everyone!

Helloooo. If you are strong and young you can do it, but thats one of the most demanding parts of the whole camino frances and in busy times Roncesvalles could be full and in the evening you wont want to go another 10 kms to the next accommodation. Also, some people recommend to go via Valcarlos. THe classical route is the Napeloeon one, Valcarlos is said to be also nice, but I wouldnt miss the beautiful, classical way. So, if I were you I d either stay in SJPP or try to book a night on your arrival day in Orisson or Borda, which are on the Napoleon way- (but only 8-9 kms from SJPP). Try to phone Borda, its less posh and more flexible with availability. I also liked the host there and the atmosphere was just incredible. I made some all life friends there...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree to take your time in SJPDP, I rushed through the first day staying at Orrison. I'm now returning in the Autum to take my time. Also, you can book online for Roncevalles securing your place so no worries. I doubt it will be full later in the year compared to early Spring. Buen camino.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice!

You have convinced me to spend the night in SJPdP and then leave the next day for Roncesvalles. I can alway walk more later on if necessary, when my legs are ready to take on the extra effort. Just taking it easy is the right thing to do.
Or try Borda. It is 2 hours from SJPP, you ll have the time to look around get registered and walk up easily.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It would be worth considering the alternative route via Valcarlos. A good shake-down walk and an excellent Albergue. Your second days walking will then get you well beyond Roncesvalles so you’ll have gained some ground.
Hi TC,I like your word (shake-down) as we’re doing the whole Camino Francés. And we want to avoid leg strain etc. Also I want to break the walk to Roncesvalles into two parts as I’m 74 and there’s no need to hurry. I’d really appreciate your breakdown on the Valcarlos route, I’ve seen the elevation profile and the last section seems steep as. Can you please comment on this? Also is there a mid route transport option, like a car or bus to do the second part to Roncesvalles. Fare price? Weve done 3x300km Caminos stretches so we’re Camino savvy I’d say. Thank you.

Hi TC,I like your word (shake-down) as we’re doing the whole Camino Francés. And we want to avoid leg strain etc. Also I want to break the walk to Roncesvalles into two parts as I’m 74 and there’s no need to hurry. I’d really appreciate your breakdown on the Valcarlos route, I’ve seen the elevation profile and the last section seems steep as. Can you please comment on this? Also is there a mid route transport option, like a car or bus to do the second part to Roncesvalles. Fare price? Weve done 3x300km Caminos stretches so we’re Camino savvy I’d say. Thank you.
Keith, one way or another you have to get over that hill. The Ibaneta is a little lower than the Lepoeder but yes, it is still a climb. Follow the road, with care, and it’s just a long steady uphill slog followed by a shorter, steepish descent. After a good nights sleep in Valcarlos it should be a doddle. Carry water and snacks there’s no charming bars or generous restaurants.

I’ve no doubt, though no experience, that you could persuade a taxi driver to get you over that hill if you wanted to try that option. You may even be able to catch the daily Pamplona to St Jean bus on its return journey but I wouldn’t rely on that. Local licensing rules might render that impossible. I’ve hitchhiked it once in the kind of rain that would make a fish look for shelter. The driver just kept on chuckling as I drained into his car’s upholstery.

I usually walk well past Roncesvalles on my second day. If Roncesvalles is your target I’d reckon you’ll hit it comfortably.

Buen Camino

Express Bourricot company stationed in SJPDP run a shuttle service to 10/12km approx up the Napolean route. Day 1 you can walk up to the pick up point where they collect you and return you to SJPDP to stay the night. Day 2 they leave you back to the point where you finished on day one so that you continue on to Roncevalles. Google them for timings and booking..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone!

I’m not sure if I would “ rush” that first day it is a long day with a climb , plus the town of St Jean is just beautiful! If you have the time , take it to look around and enjoy the small town , also i’ve seen a lot of posts of the sunrise over the Pyrenees that are just beautiful so you could always get up early.

We departed SJPP in the afternoon and stayed the night in Orisson. It was a pleasant journey for the first day on the Camino and made the rest of the journey to Roncesvalles enjoyable on the first full day.

Keith, one way or another you have to get over that hill. The Ibaneta is a little lower than the Lepoeder but yes, it is still a climb. Follow the road, with care, and it’s just a long steady uphill slog followed by a shorter, steepish descent. After a good nights sleep in Valcarlos it should be a doddle. Carry water and snacks there’s no charming bars or generous restaurants.

I’ve no doubt, though no experience, that you could persuade a taxi driver to get you over that hill if you wanted to try that option. You may even be able to catch the daily Pamplona to St Jean bus on its return journey but I wouldn’t rely on that. Local licensing rules might render that impossible. I’ve hitchhiked it once in the kind of rain that would make a fish look for shelter. The driver just kept on chuckling as I drained into his car’s upholstery.

I usually walk well past Roncesvalles on my second day. If Roncesvalles is your target I’d reckon you’ll hit it comfortably.

Buen Camino
Much obliged Tinca

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back