• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Musical instruments on the Camino.

Theoham

Time of past OR future Camino
October 22 –> November 25, 2023.
Dearest pilgrims,

I am flying to Paris in a little over 2 weeks, beginning my first Camino from SJPP on October 22! I am beyond excited and more than a little bit anxious.

So… I have a beautiful, foldable backpacking guitar which weighs in at about 3 to 3.5 lbs. I cannot decide whether or not to bring it - i.e., will it be worth the extra weight and hassle.

I am curious as to how pilgrims and others feel about musical instruments on the Camino. Have any of you experienced other pilgrims carrying and playing instruments, etc? Also, is it at all common for Albergues to have musical instruments on hand (I’m thinking mostly guitar or piano) for guests to play?

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions. Buen Camino!! TH.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I come from a background in bushcraft (think ALONE) and folks sometimes brought Ocarinas, Recorders, Harmonicas or other small instruments. Carrying the extra weight a few miles and a few nights would be vastly different than a Camino. It's something only you can decide.

I saw a few pilgrims carrying uses. Dan Mullins is known for carrying his guitar on Camino and getting it stamped in albergues. There was another fellow that carried a cello on Camino!

Some albergue do have instruments (often a guitar) but I would say they are thr minority.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dearest pilgrims,

I am flying to Paris in a little over 2 weeks, beginning my first Camino from SJPP on October 22! I am beyond excited and more than a little bit anxious.

So… I have a beautiful, foldable backpacking guitar which weighs in at about 3 to 3.5 lbs. I cannot decide whether or not to bring it - i.e., will it be worth the extra weight and hassle.

I am curious as to how pilgrims and others feel about musical instruments on the Camino. Have any of you experienced other pilgrims carrying and playing instruments, etc? Also, is it at all common for Albergues to have musical instruments on hand (I’m thinking mostly guitar or piano) for guests to play?

I admire those with musical talent (and those with the countless talents which I lack); but I have an aversion to enforced jollity.

I find it helpful if strolling musicians display their instrument prominently, to set an expectation; if that makes sense.

To sit myself down for an evening’s quiet contemplation or conversation and have a companion produce a double-bass or piano like a conjurer’s rabbit would not be a welcome surprise.

Dearest pilgrims,

Why would you want to bring it?

Are you a guitarist that needs to spend at least some time everyday in practice?

Are you planning to do a bit of busking now and then to top up your hiking budget?

Are you thinking of spreading song and joy amongst the assembled?

Are you planning on inflicting your foldable guitar (foldable guitar?) on anyone in hearing range because they’ll probably like it? Or at least admire your commitment?

Carrying a superfluous 3.5lbs of weight is of course a choice you are entitled to exercise. Using it to the distress of others ain’t.

Foldable guitar? Why am I so obsessed by the concept of a foldable guitar?

I’d love to see a picture

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Are you a guitarist that needs to spend at least some time everyday in practice?

Are you planning to do a bit of busking now and then to top up your hiking budget?

Are you planning on inflicting your foldable guitar (foldable guitar?) on anyone in hearing range because they’ll probably like it? Or at least admire your commitment?

Carrying a superfluous 3.5lbs of weight is of course a choice you are entitled to exercise. Using it to the distress of others ain’t.

There are 2 screws. Take them out and the neck comes off. Also, it's a small guitar to begin with.

Dearest pilgrims,

Hi - yes I have come across quite a few folks playing guitars in hostels on the caminos I have done. They seem to be quite a feature of these trips and backpacker trips in general. A few folks carrying them too. I really enjoy everyone getting together for a few drinks and some music in the evening. Certainly brings a lot of people together.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Theoham, it's very much an individual choice, many of us bring our own personal luxury items (but three and a half pounds seems quite a lot of extra weight to carry.)
I have not personally seen anyone carrying and/or playing an instrument on Camino however I have heard of it from fellow pilgrims. A woman was walking playing a flute and they caught up with her. They loved it.
The question of use is potentially polarising to some. Understandably - imagine if the music was not to your taste, or simply poorly played. Some walk to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature, or wish to simply converse with their fellow pilgrims. Sitting in the Albergue - if an instrument is provided and it's early enough in the evening clearly it would be appropriate. If not - I guess it would really depend on the people you were with.

Personally I would far rather listen to you playing guitar than to many of the young people with their portable speaker's, but then if I was also still young, I might feel differently....

. Have any of you experienced other pilgrims carrying and playing instruments, etc? Also, is it at all common for Albergues to have musical instruments on hand (I’m thinking mostly guitar or piano) for guests to play?
I just finished walking the Aragonés and parts of the Frances and took this photo a few days ago to send to some friends, commenting that it seems to have become a trend (and advertised feature) for many albergues to have a guitar available! I certainly haven’t noticed this as much in past years. I didn’t see any pianos. There were sing-alongs in a few places I stayed, with the same quiet / lights out rules applied to them :)
And yes, I did see a few people carrying guitars along the way as well.
IMG_1838.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just finished walking the Aragonés and parts of the Frances and took this photo a few days ago to send to some friends, commenting that it seems to have become a trend (and advertised feature) for many albergues to have a guitar available! I certainly haven’t noticed this as much in past years. I didn’t see any pianos. There were sing-alongs in a few places I stayed, with the same quiet / lights out rules applied to them :)
And yes, I did see a few people carrying guitars along the way as well.
View attachment 157624
Awesome, thank you. Looks like I should bring a bathing suit as well. 😊

Closer to a guitara? 5 string rather than 6? Would go down well in Portugal for sure but you didn’t answer my other questions. I’ve been a professional singer but I don’t do that thing on Camino. Camino is what I do when I’m not doing the rest of my life
No, it's an actual 6 string acoustic guitar - A 'Baby Taylor' and it's lovely. I am a professional. I don't "have" to play everyday but I love to play and miss it when I'm away for a time. I would never impose (heaven forbid inflict!) music on anyone. It can be an enjoyable part of a social evening - or not, depending on the group.

I can't recall seeing a single instrument in any of the 6 albergues I stayed in on the Primitivo last month, nor was anyone carrying a visible instrument, nor was there any music in those albergues (not even the speakers). Probably a weight thing.

Heck, some of my Camino mates didn't know that I could sing until the Pilgrim's Mass in Santiago. I didn't have the breath support before then.

I can say with certainty there were guitars at Grañón, San Miguel in Estella, Zamora, when I served and I believe now at Canfranc Pueblo. The donativo albergues with volunteers working as hospitaleros have a tradition of music and one of our Canadian hospitalero friends, Tom Friesen, leads workshops each fall in Spain to help hospitaleros learn to lead pilgrims in song. My husband has attended in the past and sang online with Tom and others from around the world as a way of coping through the pandemic. At Grañón, pilgrims often literally sing for their supper at times.

There is also a tradition of music at Carrion de los Condes with the sisters at the Santa Maria albergue. I feel like your music would be very welcome in albergue environments where pilgrims gather for communal meals or in a common room. Maybe not so much at hotels where people seek privacy and quiet.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tinkatinker:
[[Are you planning to do a bit of busking now and then to top up your hiking budget?
Are you thinking of spreading song and joy amongst the assembled?]]

I met my friend Lindsay from Scotland on the Camino a few years ago. He builds classical guitars, so built himself kind of a unique little travel guitar. Yes, he DID busk in cities along the way sometimes! And I would say that not just other pilgrims enjoyed his playing and singing; so often did the locals, which was even much better! Late one night walking around Santiago, Lindsay and I started to enter a small bar that was getting ready to close. But after a slight hesitation, the guy let us in. It was just the bar owner and three of his friends, who had known each other since childhood in Santiago. Here is a video clip of that marvelous evening. (Sorry it turns sideways part way through)

Tinkatinker:
[[Are you planning to do a bit of busking now and then to top up your hiking budget?
Are you thinking of spreading song and joy amongst the assembled?]]

I met my friend Lindsay from Scotland on the Camino a few years ago. He builds classical guitars, so built himself kind of a unique little travel guitar. Yes, he DID busk in cities along the way sometimes! And I would say that not just other pilgrims enjoyed his playing and singing; so often did the locals, which was even much better! Late one night walking around Santiago, Lindsay and I started to enter a small bar that was getting ready to close. But after a slight hesitation, the guy let us in. It was just the bar owner and three of his friends, who had known each other since childhood in Santiago. Here is a video clip of that marvelous evening. (Sorry it turns sideways part way through)
f3d91182-42f3-46d3-8339-462272454ce8.jpeg

Reading Tincatinkers post, I thought of this (Animal House, Jim Belushi, Guitar Scene):

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No, it's an actual 6 string acoustic guitar - A 'Baby Taylor' and it's lovely. I am a professional. I don't "have" to play everyday but I love to play and miss it when I'm away for a time. I would never impose (heaven forbid inflict!) music on anyone. It can be an enjoyable part of a social evening - or not, depending on the group.
Bring it along with you........music is international, adds to the mood and would be welcomed by many Pilgrims relaxing after a days walk.

Just no Taylor Swift, James Blunt or Ed Sherrin........more Leonard Cohen, Roy Orbison, Warren Zevon, etc

May I introduce “Waltzing Matilda” my beloved traveling guitar. She and I have walked the Frances several times, the Podensis and part of the Francigena.

I feel inspired by “As I walked out one midsummer morning “ that beautiful book by Laurie Lee in which he carries his violin wrapped in an old blanket across Spain in the thirties.

Thank you Jill for reminding me of that magical evening

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
TH, meeting musicians and musical people has been an important part of my camino adventures.
The most bizarre was probably the young woman with a Celtic harp, carried on her back. She was walking with her partner who plays guitar and they were busking some of the time. They finished with a wonderful recital in the evening sunshine on the Finisterre rocks. Also last year met a guy with a steel pan and previously a guy with a travelling didjeridoo - all were accomplished and only played in albergues when encouraged to do so.
Otherwise have met plenty of guitarists, some bringing small guitars and others relying on the acoustic guitars that you sometimes find in albergues.
If you are a decent player and you have a repertoire of songs then I'd say 'go for it!'. If you can manage the weight I'd say the other main negative is the security aspect and having to keep an eye on it, which is why it's best to bring something that's not very valuable, or that you don't mind taking everywhere. On the flip side, another positive is that carrying round a musical instrument often leads to conversations, encounters and adventures that you wouldn't otherwise have..
The compromise option would be to be to rely on albergue guitars - and make sure you bring a tuner if you can't tune easily by ear. And perhaps a blues harp...
I'm sure we could crowd-source a list of albergues with guitars if you wanted to go down that route

I was always very happy to meet people who played music along the way - locals or pilgrims, buskers or those who play simply because they like to.

When you're not glued to your phone and offline most of the time, after weeks without proper music, someone playing a guitar or whatever, or singing (or whistling nicely!) is just beautiful.

I remember an evening in Rabanal, with one pilgrim playing the guitar and the other singing. It was some kind of folk songs. It was heavenly.

I walked a few days with a spaniard who played the guitar, not very well, but with lots of enthusiasm and emotion, and people were usually gathering to listen.

Once someone played a saxophone in the middle of nowhere in the woods towards the cruz de ferro, when I had a very bad day, and it simply made me happy.

Listening to people rehearsing classical guitar playing in a church in Carrion.

A group of italians singing together in the woods.

Nuns or monks or the locals singing in the church.

Ect.

I know some pilgrims prefer silence. Real, human made music is something special, though, at least for me.

So I'd say bring your guitar, especially if you play professionally, you'll make many people happy and probably annoy only a few. I assume you know when to stop, so that won't be a problem.

Thank you and buen Camino!

Last edited:
Dearest pilgrims,

Hiya, just returned from walking the Portuguese Central Camino, and met a French couple who had brought ukes with them at the Rates albergue.
There was a guitar there so joined them in an impromptu jam session. Great fun, and the first time I have been backed by a French ukelele player doing '20 Flight Rock' (The Camino provides 🙂). Everyone seem to enjoy it (the red wine probably helped!)
They carried their ukes in a large side pocket of their backpacks - depends on the backpack I guess.
Whether you want to take an instrument with you is personal choice though.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Some years ago, on the Appalachian Trail, I encountered a young man carrying a tuba. Yes full size. I never did find out why, however the fact that his travelling companion was carrying a pair of car hub caps may have helped open the discussion. I have often wondered what the hub caps sounded like when accompanying the tuba.

Dearest pilgrims,

I am curious as to how pilgrims and others feel about musical instruments on the Camino. Have any of you experienced other pilgrims carrying and playing instruments, etc? Also, is it at all common for Albrgues to have musical instruments on hand (I’m thinking mostly guitar or piano) for guests to play?

Dearest pilgrims,

Good idea. If I strike up my ukulele, I’ll never have to worry about finding space in an otherwise full albergue.

A Taylor, lovely. I'd love to hear it. Camino can be rough on people never mind guitars but if you can wear the weight and the risks - go for it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I love the idea of music on the Camino. Canadian fiddler and composer, Oliver Schroer brought his fiddle and recorded this incredible album which I listened to almost every night leadig up to walking the Portuguese Camino in 2022.

From wikipedia: His album Camino was recorded in churches along the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail. Schroer walked 1,000 km of the trail in 2004 with his wife and two friends, carrying portable recording equipment. To save weight, he did not bring a violin case. He carried his instrument wrapped in a sleeping bag in his backpack, "like my own precious relic, carefully packed in its reliquary of socks and underwear."[3][4] The album features solo playing, occasionally against a background of local sounds such as church bells, birds, and monastic voices.[5]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dearest pilgrims,

I will likely not be the typical reply, but outside of specific venues- churches, plazas, restaurants, etc - I always feel much of the impromptu ‘music’ is akin to aural graffiti.

Everyone else’s mileage/opinions may vary. 😄

A Taylor, lovely. I'd love to hear it. Camino can be rough on people never mind guitars but if you can wear the weight and the risks - go for it.
In tone, I find the Baby Taylor just a teensy bit lacking of the same level of detail and fullness of the compact/same size Martin. That does not include the “backpacking Martin” which I find to be a tinny sounding, anemic instrument, but good enough if I were desperate enough to need a guitar to play on. 🤪

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dearest pilgrims,

I carried a Taylor GS Mini (6lbs) on two caminos, just attached the gig bag to my backpack with bungies and straps. It is extra weight, but I'm glad I took it. I would often stop during the day and practice for an hour. I only played it for other people if they asked me to. That has pluses and minuses, there were some great evenings playing and singing with others; other times, people ask you to play and then continue to have conversations as if you weren't there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Leave it at home...."One man's music is another's noise. Silence is the best music.

Dearest pilgrims,

A few albergues, and some rest stops in between, will have a guitar or other basic instrument.

I think most pilgrims would just as soon prefer not be intruded upon by your musical stylings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I never travel without a ukulele and have taken on on both my caminos as well as numerous other trips. As someone who is not keen on hearing other poor musicians banging out bad songs, I tend to take it somewhere solitary and play quietly to soothe myself. On one occasion, however, I was prevailed upon to fetch it for an evening in a bar in Navarete and it made for one of the best nights of my Camino.

Take it, or better still, take a uke.

Dearest pilgrims,

I was volunteering in August at the Pilgrim Office greeting English-speaking pilgrims, I met a German man who had carried an accordion and he and the other pilgrim friends he had made had sang along the way. He played and sang for us and some Australians had brought some small handheld shakers (probably have a proper name) we had a good sing song all together! However, I do appreciate it's not for everyone and some like to walk with more silence. So if you do take it, be mindful of others. :) Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it is a great idea. I did the Camino Francis with a friend in April/May and we met up on a number of occasions with a Swiss woman playing the pan pipes. It’s a difficult instrument I believe and she played it extremely well.

Two stand-out places where we met were in the old castle ruins at Castrojeriz and at the Cruz de Ferro. The hauntingly beautiful music on each occasion added a somewhat magic element to what was already a great trip overall.

There were many unexpected instances on the Camino that added immeasurably to the overall experience. Two musical stand-outs were an organ recital, Bach fugue in D minor, following Mass in the Cathedral in Leon, together with our Swiss friend playing the pan pipes at various points along the way. We were good mates by the time we arrived in Santiago and she told us that many people had commented on how much they enjoyed her music.

Amongst the many tunes we heard her play was one of my favourites, the Irish ballad ‘The Town I loved so well’. It wouldn’t be easy carrying a musical instrument on a long distance walk like the Camino, however the right instrument together with suitable music will, I am sure, be appreciated by many people.

Well, I plan to make my next Camino with a cornett in three parts, not much weight, easily packed in a pouch. Can not stop playing for the length of my walk, lose my embouchure 🙂

Dearest pilgrims,

We had a few delightful musicians on our Camino in 2017. One gentleman had a ukulele and he played it some evenings. The municipal albergue in Granon had guitars available. I would say you would be welcome to play anytime (before bedtime :).

Jane

€60,-
Check out Bad Role Models on YT.

He’s walking right now on CF. Or, at least posting now.

He is carrying a guitar.

Buen camino whatever you decide.

I thought about bringing my uke on my last Camino but decided against it.
1. Am I so good on the uke that others will enjoy listening to me play? No.
2. Will I rue the extra weight, albeit minimal? Probably.
3. Can I make up songs on my uke about the Camino when I return home? Yes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dearest pilgrims,

Oh, bring it! I’m almost done with my journey (trying to stretch out the last leg to make it last). Some of my fondest memories are when people played their musical instruments! What a gift to the rest of us! If you can carry the extra weight without a problem, my vote is BRING IT!! 💜

Dearest pilgrims,

I'm 72y/o and have been playing the guitar since I was 14years old. When home I play every day however i find it refreshing to leave the instruments home. You will find from time to time guitars at albergues. The point being is to step out of the familiar and replace it with something else. Also 3.5 lbs is a lot of water, clothes,snacks and books you have intended on getting to. Leave it home. Buen camino. Mike

Bring it. Anyone that doesn't like it has the earplug option. It's not as if it will bring the roof down. Do you sing as well?

I can say with certainty there were guitars at Grañón, San Miguel in Estella, Zamora, when I served and I believe now at Canfranc Pueblo. The donativo albergues with volunteers working as hospitaleros have a tradition of music and one of our Canadian hospitalero friends, Tom Friesen, leads workshops each fall in Spain to help hospitaleros learn to lead pilgrims in song. My husband has attended in the past and sang online with Tom and others from around the world as a way of coping through the pandemic. At Grañón, pilgrims often literally sing for their supper at times.

There is also a tradition of music at Carrion de los Condes with the sisters at the Santa Maria albergue. I feel like your music would be very welcome in albergue environments where pilgrims gather for communal meals or in a common room. Maybe not so much at hotels where people seek privacy and quiet.
Think there might be one at Refugio Guacelmo too

Granon also boasts a piano…

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m an advanced amateur classical pianist, but I’ve always wanted to learn guitar, as it is decidedly more portable than a piano. Maybe I’ll get an opportunity to learn a chord or two. I would definitely love to hear guitar music, as it reminds me of growing up hearing it thanks to my sister.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back