• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxiana? Not!

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
Pilgrims walking to Muxia in the last few days havce been given a black and white photocopied so-called "Muxiana" on very poor quality cream coloured paper. I enquired about it yesterday assuming this was a short term measure. The very helpful person I talked to produced a pair of scissors. The meaning was clear enough: budget cuts. Bogus Muxianas are for keeps.
I am currently writing to the Alcalde to express my dismay about the disappointment for pilgrims some of whom are finishing their Camino in his town. Next weekend there is a Medieval festival which will cost the town thousands - but they can't afford to print proper Muxianas?
Una vergüenza de verdad! :roll:
In the meantime, take your "Muxiana" to the "Town Hall" (the Concello) and let Mr Mayor know what you think of his hospitality! Almost every pilgrim would be prepared to pay a buck for the real thing ...
Shortsighted and unfortunately typically Gallego small town bureacracy!
(The good news is that the Tourist Office is FINALLY open again - til the end of August that is.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm torn two ways with this. On one hand I can empathise with the decision to save money in these times for the country as a whole, on the other I can understand the disappointment when getting something other than you hoped for. On a brighter note, perhaps your memories and learning from the Camino will eventually replace your disappointment.

No question that this country needs budget cuts. We are seriously broke. But my point is that this is robbing Peter to pay Paul when it is Peter who needs it most. Muxia, while a pilgrimage site for many years, has only just become an "end point" for pilgrims coming from Santiago. Every September we have the Romeria to La Virgin de la Barca; but in the last two years there have been more and more Camino pilgrims ending their own pilgrimage to Muxia or on the way to Fisterra. (Particularly in the wake of The Way where the gypsy tells Martin´s Sheen's character to go to Muxia). To cut back on the Muxiana now is false economy especially when the Fisterrana is so much prettier anyway, and if there is a choice to be made, pilgrims will elect Fisterra over Muxia. Even as it is the wonderful new albergue in Dumbria is chronically underused.
As I said, thousands about to be spent on the Medieval Festival, but 500 euros or so "saved" on the Muxia.
Foolish...

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I can understand the disappointment. But, at the same time, how much of the pilgrim experience has actually to do anything with the certificate you get in the end... Not much..

Saludos.

There is a mentality that pilgrims are cheapskates, but how about charging 50 cents for the certificate? That would pay for quality printing, and avoid those who want something for nothing...

Colour copies even on plain white paper can be up to 50 cents. Add the cost of card and a euro would not only be fair but would perhaps be a source of income for the municipality, and this is exactly what I have written to the Alcalde (mayor) today.I am certain that almost all pilgrims would see the logic of this.
No, the certificate is not important.
So let's get rid of the Compostela..... (and thereby clean up the last 100 klms of the Frances)
:!:
Get my drift?
T

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Congrat for reaching the end (hahahahaha ......... there is no end) & thanks for the feedback on the "Muxiana".

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, the certificate is not important.
So let's get rid of the Compostela..... (and thereby clean up the last 100 klms of the Frances)
:!:
Get my drift?
T
And why not? I don't really have the right to comment because I already have two and, no doubt, those who have yet to complete their pilgrimage would disagree with me. However, all I really wanted was the stamp but felt that it would be insulting if I said that I didn't want a Compostela. It was not until I arrived in Santiago for the third time that I felt able to say I would like a stamp in my credencial but didn't require a Compostela.

Nor did I require a certificate for walking to Finisterre or to Muxia. Surely a pilgrimage requires intrinsic rather than extrinsic motivation.

?...........Even as it is the wonderful new albergue in Dumbria is chronically underused....

We arrived in Dumbria on 17 May this year and were very impressed to see the huge albergue as we emerged from the woods. However it was all locked up, with no sign of life and no notice regarding opening times, and no contact telephone number. We were soaked through and desperate for some shelter and waited around until past the likely opening time of 2:00 pm, but there was no sign of anyone on the horizon.

Eventually we walked on and found a pension in the town which was very reasonably priced and run by an amazingly hospitable and hard working woman, who single handedly ran the pension, the bar, the restaurant, kitchen and the attached shop - all with a smile. And she also kept a roaring fire stoked up in the bar so we could dry our boots around it.

Nevertheless, it was a shame that there was no indication at the albergue of opening times.

.......Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

A bit off topic but to respond to you Magwood:
Strange that you couldn't get into the albergue as it is open all year round from 13.00-22.00. The 'hospitalero' comes around 17.00 to stamp credencials and collect the 6 euro fee. Maybe you did not push the door hard enough. We couldn't initially get the door open but a construction worker next door said that it was open and helped us out. For future reference the telefoon number is 981 74 40 01 (Ayuntamiento). For future pilgrims: the albergue fee also allows you to use the new sports facilities and library with internet next to the albergue. It is quite an amazing complex for such a small town. I understand that the owners of Zara donated funds to build the albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many thanks, LTfit. This will be useful information for others. Maybe an explanation on the door would be useful, as there was no way that we could have known if the albergue was operating or not. We had previously reached an albergue in Zariquiegui, listed as open, at the end of a long day, only to find it deserted, and having to walk on for a further 8km when already exhausted. There was nothing at Dumbría to indicate that this was not a similar situation. Could the hospitalero be asked to put a notice up for future pilgrims? Thanks for your response.

.........Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

Perhaps if all pilgrims arriving in Muxia offer a few euros towards the cost of printing, they will reconsider....

Hi, Magwood, just to follow up on Ltfit's comments. When I arrived at Muxia, there was a sign on the door (which must be gone now) that said that the albergue opened at 3 pm. I waited outside till 3 pm, washing some of my clothes in the outdoor washing facilities around the back. When the hospitalero came at 3 pm, he told me that the door was unlocked, but of course I didn't think to try it since the sign said "open at three."

For anyone who arrives when the albergue appears locked, first thing to do, try the door. And then if it is locked, all you need to do is take a short walk to the huge polideportivo (sports facility) next door. The polideportivo staff has the key and signs you in, so they will be able to tell you what to do.

BTW, I too have heard that the owners of Zara donated the funds -- it's really too bad more people don't use this albergue because it is pretty amazing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I sent a letter to the Alcalde of Muxia expressing our combined concern and whether this had any effect or not but the Muxiana is back to it former glory. Sometimes it pays to speak up. I think that a donation box would go a long way to making sure that it doesn't happen again though.

hi walked to finisterr muxia in march 2013 did not bother to get a certifcate but for me i do like muxia.

Last Sep-Oct, I walked to Muxia and then on to Finisterre. Muxia is beautiful and I wished I had ended my Camino there. I stayed two days and while it rained some, it was still a great place. Peaceful, quaint, great ocean views.

The walk to the lighthouse outside of Finisterrre was great, but I found the town depressing and couldnt wait to get out.

I didn't walk for any certificate, but did get one that now sits rolled up in my closet. The Compostella from SDC is framed, but not the ones from Muxia or Finisterre.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mine was thick paper, but a bit tacky. Wasn't really bothered though, it's just a thing to show my parents and add to the collection. The legion of photos on my phone and videos I took will more than make up for the lack of quality :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.