• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino July-aug 2017: Feedback Welcome

Maple Leaf Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
Hi all: I only have 4 weeks and this is my first Camino. Yes, going in July-August is not ideal, but I’m working with what I have. And that means July-August.

My plan is based around doing the most with the time that I have without treating it like a race. I’d like to have the flexibility within my pilgrimage to stop in some places longer if I feel like it.

My limitations: I have a mild, well managed heart condition (and I have my Doc’s ok for this journey) so I’m opting out of two parts of the trek: the Pyrenees and the Meseta. I figure it’s wise to avoid baking in the July heat in that uncovered mid stretch.

I’m open to all input here: just wanted to state upfront what is and in not within my power to change.

DRAFT ITINERARY

My plan is to start in Pamplona around July 11-12 (bussing it from Madrid). Would be arriving in town during the running of the bulls. Not something I plan in participating in, but wouldn’t mind getting a peek at the street scene before heading out of town.

Bussing the Meseta between Burgos and Leon (or from Santo Domingo to Leon).

Continuing on foot from Leon to SDP, ideally arriving by August 10 and flying out the next day.

Does that seem realistic?

GEAR

I’m used to travelling light. Bringing my 32L backpack to ensure that keep my weight and gear to a minimum.

two short pants, one long pair with zip off (all fast dry)

three shirts (all fast dry)

three pairs of merino wool blended socks

Merrell shoes (already three months worn-in from daily walks)

flip flops

Spring jacket

Phone w/ charging cord and adapter

First aid kit for blister care

Spork

Flattened toilet paper roll

Mini soap bar

3-4 travel packets of Tide (enough for 2 weeks…get more when I need it)

Travel toothbrush / mini toothpaste

Mini deodorant

Emergency poncho

daily meds

Mini umbrella

Sunblock

Hat and sunglasses

Duct tape

Fast drying towel

Sleeping sheet (skipping the sleeping bag)

Spool of line for laundry

Safety pins

1L water bottle

swim suit

bunch of ziplock bags various sizes

Headlamp with red light mode

DAILY ROUTINE

I'm an early riser usually, so my plan is to be up daily at 6:00AM and on the road by 6:15AM.

Stop for breakfast around 9.

Continue on until 1PM at which point I pick my next alburgue (or should I be calling ahead that day, given that it will be July)?

Shower and do laundry, charge phone, eat dinner and enjoy some wine.

Bed by 9:00. Sleep in clothes.

Sound realistic?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In September it did not get light until about 8:00 AM, not sure about July/August but you might want to inquire as some people don't like to travel in the dark by themselves especially in some of the areas with rough surfaces like your first day will have. Missing all of the Meseta is kind of missing a big point about the trip where you have small villages and towns and frankly you get to recover from the first 10 days of going up and down; I would think this would be easier on your heart than some of the climbing before and after. I would also give yourself an extra day in Santiago if you can.

Otherwise, Buen Camino

All great points, Kent. Many thanks. The way I'm looking at this: it's my first Camino. On this one I'll give the Meseta a pass. It's less a concern about elevations: but about relentless heat in the uncovered stretches between Burgos and Leon. Bigger point is this: I have to give something up to make it work in four weeks. But *next* Camino, I won't. ;)

Sunrise in July in that area is around 6:40am, so I'm feeling pretty good about that decision.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds good. If you got stuff you don't need you can always leave it at an albergue. If you need something, you can always buy it somewhere on the Camino. That's something that's not mentioned much on here. You could actually arrive in Pamplona with no Camino gear at all, and step in a sport's shop and come out an hour later ready to go.
I've done the CF twice between July-August. Zero rain for the entire time (SJPdP-SDC). Zero. So maybe ditch the umbrella, unless it's for the sun.
I never brought laundry detergent. I always just used whatever was available. It's only for a few weeks, and your stuff, unless washed in a machine, never truly gets clean anyway.
The meseta portion is nice, but not a desert or something like that as it's often described. It's just a flatter stretch of the CF between Burgos and Leon, and it has a lot of agriculture fields. It also has just as many towns on it as the rest of the CF. So if you gotta skip something, may as well skip that. Same with the first day over the Pyrenees. Yeah, it's cool and all, but if ya gotta skip it, ya gotta skip it. No worries, it's all good. No bad way to walk the Camino.
ultreia

Good point about the umbrella. I was thinking that it would do double duty: protection from the sun and hedging my bets on there being at least one day of rain. But it might be something to leave out and buy in Spain only if needed.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good point about the umbrella. I was thinking that it would do double duty: protection from the sun and hedging my bets on there being at least one day of rain. But it might be something to leave out and buy in Spain only if needed.
Don't know what kind of hat you intend on bringing with you, but one that provides good protection from the sun is highly recommended. Something with protection, but packable. A lot of good ones out there.
and of course sun screen and lip balm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your draft itinerary and daily routine looks both realistic and conducive to allowing you to enjoy the Camino as much as possible.

I enjoyed walking in the summer months, but like yourself, preferred not to stay out walking too late under the baking sun. Your daily routine looks fairly similar to mine. In July/August, it will start to get hot as early as 10am. Three more hours of walking and I was usually more than happy to call it a day at 1pm and chill with a cerveza in the shade. I didn't enjoy walking any later than 2pm as the heat became too uncomfortable for me.

I walked in August and most mornings you were walking in darkness until breakfast (usually 8am for me). Not a huge problem but sometimes you knew you were missing out on some nice views. But that was my trade off. I'd rather walk an hour in darkness than walk that extra hour later on the sun.

I had a 30l backpack so similar in size and it sufficed for what I needed. The good news about walking in summer is you don't need to carry as much clothes, and those you do bring will dry quicker. I too only carried a sleeping liner. It was fine most of the time, but there were still certain nights where it was cold at night, but if you can sleep in your clothes you will be ok. Travelling light in summer is probably the single biggest tip I would offer.

Don't completely rule out the meseta. In the time-scale you have available, you may find that you arrive in Burgos sooner than you expect. In which case, why not keep walking a day or two. Those first two days in the Meseta, places like Hontanas and Castrojeriz were among the best of the entire Camino for me. You can always travel by public transport at any point to get to Leon. You will know better yourself when you are walking, in terms of how far you can comfortably walk each day, and how long you will need to get from Leon to Santiago.

It is your Camino though and as you say, your current itinerary allows you to stay longer in places if you want to. It is all good. I am sure you will have a hugely positive Camino experience. Good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back