• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino 😃

CndR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Aug/Sept 2022;
Resume May 2023
I am in the planning stages of my first Camino, the Camino Frances, in August - Sept 2022. I am a 62 year old woman who has dreamed of doing Camino for too long. I will be alone for the first ⅔ of the route and then a girlfriend will join me in Leon. I will start in St Jean Pied de Port.

I have decided to fly into Madrid (from Atlanta, Georgia) and take a train to Pamplona and then take a bus to St Jean Pied de Port. However, I have not been able to find any timelines/schedules of the bus from Pamplona to St Jean. I have looked on Alsa website, Rome2Rio, as well as other resources, with no success. I am trying to put together my travel itinerary and need times in order to do so. Do I push through all the way to St Jean in one day. 😬. Do I overnight in Pamplona and finish the travel the next day? Do I choose an entire new plan. ha.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know if the bus is still running between these 2 cities. Does anyone have have resources that I may access? Are there any limitations on bus travel due to covid and/or covid test results.

I appreciate any information ... and so will my husband, so he knows I will be okay.
Thank you,
Cindy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pre pandemic I have taken the Alsa bus from Madrid Barajas airport all the way to Saint Jean. I remember changing buses at Soria and then continuing to Pamplona. In Pamplona I had about a 2-3 hour wait I believe and then took the bus to Saint Jean, getting there early evening. I had already made reservations at an albergue, knowing I would arrive early evening. It makes for a long day and I was tired by the time I got to Saint Jean. I could have also just spent the night in Pamplona and caught the first bus the next morning to Saint Jean. The bus station in Pamplona is within easy walking distance to the main part of the old town, so to speak. Many places to stay. Start refreshed from Pamplona the next morning or ride all the way to Saint Jean jet lagged and rest up there? Up to you.
I made my bus reservations online through the ALSA website. Mind you, this was all pre-pandemic.
Also keep in mind that you want to go seven months from now. Might be a bit early to make reservations.

Awesome, I'm really pleased you made the decision. There are other threads on the same subject and I'm sure you will be pointed in the right direction by others more knowledgeable than I am.

The only thing I would add is that nearer the time, consider booking through from SJPP to Zubiri as that's a pinch point stretch. After which, people spread out and booking is generally much easier.

Welcome to the forum!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @CndR,
It is probably too early to get tickets for bus or train. Planning is fun and you can generally see routes and options using Google Maps directions and schedule explorer. Click the icon for public transport that looks like a bus/train. You will get more information on a computer than on the phone app. Don't put in the Sept date as that is too far in advance right now. Usually you can also see the name of the company that runs the bus, etc. and there may be a link that gives you more information about the company. I use this for general planning. Unless you are traveling on a holiday, you may want to wait until you arrive to get tickets in case there is any change in your flight, etc. Buen Camino!
Janet

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know if the bus is still running between these 2 cities. Does anyone have have resources that I may access? Are there any limitations on bus travel due to covid and/or covid test results.
Usually there are two reasons why people do not see the bus schedule. It is too early for them to put up the schedule or the destination name is put in with a "st." or a "st" when you must enter "saint". Neither is the case now. Normally you would be able to see a few months worth of schedules by now since the service has usually started in March. Since they haven't entered information into the database you see nothing. In what I would call a design flaw you don't see SJPdP as a valid destination when I think you should and then get a message saying "Not currently scheduled."

Also you get schedules and book on the ALSA site. ALSA partly owns CONDA and that is why you see two bus lines on the web going to SJPdP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you soooo very much to everyone ... I am so grateful for all the information. Feel like I am already on the Camino and receiving help from fellow pilgrims. 😊.

The only thing I would add is that nearer the time, consider booking through from SJPP to Zubiri as that's a pinch point stretch. After which, people spread out and booking is generally much easier.
Great advice, thank you.

I would encourage you to spend the night in either Madrid or Pamplona. There's no rush to get started - the Camino isn't going anywhere. You are already going to be jet lagged and tired from traveling. Be kind to your body and give it time to adjust.
Have decided this is definitely what I will do. Leaning toward Pamplona. No jet lag and feeling strong for the first day is definitely the way to go. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Usually there are two reasons why people do not see the bus schedule. It is too early for them to put up the schedule or the destination name is put in with a "st." or a "st" when you must enter "saint". Neither is the case now. Normally you would be able to see a few months worth of schedules by now since the service has usually started in March. Since they haven't entered information into the database you see nothing. In what I would call a design flaw you don't see SJPdP as a valid destination when I think you should and then get a message saying "Not currently scheduled."

Also you get schedules and book on the ALSA site. ALSA partly owns CONDA and that is why you see two bus lines on the web going to SJPdP.
Thank you for the valuable information. I had discovered the "saint" vs "st" tip and as you said it still did not work. I will try again later and see if the "design flaw" has been corrected. So appreciate your help.

Thank you for the valuable information. I had discovered the "saint" vs "st" tip and as you said it still did not work. I will try again later and see if the "design flaw" has been corrected. So appreciate your help.
I just read yesterday on this forum that someone contacted ALSA and was told that this year there would be no service until April.
[Edit: here's the post.]

Roughly in previous non-covid years the ALSA/CONDA schedule has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service

Last edited:
Hi @CndR,
It is probably too early to get tickets for bus or train. Planning is fun and you can generally see routes and options using Google Maps directions and schedule explorer. Click the icon for public transport that looks like a bus/train. You will get more information on a computer than on the phone app. Don't put in the Sept date as that is too far in advance right now. Usually you can also see the name of the company that runs the bus, etc. and there may be a link that gives you more information about the company. I use this for general planning. Unless you are traveling on a holiday, you may want to wait until you arrive to get tickets in case there is any change in your flight, etc. Buen Camino!
Janet
wow, never thought of using Google maps for that ... great idea.
I had not planned to buy any tickets yet ... but was definitely deep into the fun and excitement of planning. I am beyond excited! Thank you for the help and direction.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just read yesterday on this forum that someone contacted ALSA and was told that this year there would be no service until April.

Roughly in previous non-covid years the ALSA/CONDA schedule has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service
Oh Wow ... you are the best! Thank you so very much for the follow up!

Have decided this is definitely what I will do. Leaning toward Pamplona. No jet lag and feeling strong for the first day is definitely the way to go. Thank you.
I definitely would recommend Pamplona over Madrid. As lovely as Madrid is to visit, you'll be in Pamplona by 4pm I think, which is early enough to rest and still roam about. Very walkable city.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am in the planning stages of my first Camino, the Camino Frances, in August - Sept 2022. I am a 62 year old woman who has dreamed of doing Camino for too long. I will be alone for the first ⅔ of the route and then a girlfriend will join me in Leon. I will start in St Jean Pied de Port.

I have decided to fly into Madrid (from Atlanta, Georgia) and take a train to Pamplona and then take a bus to St Jean Pied de Port. However, I have not been able to find any timelines/schedules of the bus from Pamplona to St Jean. I have looked on Alsa website, Rome2Rio, as well as other resources, with no success. I am trying to put together my travel itinerary and need times in order to do so. Do I push through all the way to St Jean in one day. 😬. Do I overnight in Pamplona and finish the travel the next day? Do I choose an entire new plan. ha.

I appreciate any information ... and so will my husband, so he knows I will be okay.
Thank you,
Cindy
Hi CnDr - welcome to the forum. I did the same travel itinerary you've laid oyt when I completed the Camino Frances in Aug 2018.
I had an early flight landed in Madrid, took the train (Renfre) to Pamplona, met a couple from Aruzona at the train station and we shared a taxi to SJPdP. Arrived in SJPdP around 4pm/same day. Very doable. Buen Camino. You will have an excellent experience!

Thank you,
Cindy
There are many options for Madrid to SJPDP. I would recommend you do not make reservations since travel delays, arrival, or you just not wanting to have to run to catch transportation. Planes are faster but not as often and typically far from city center. Buses are most often and usually close to city center. Trains fit in the middle. Make a copy and take with you a copy of the Madrid Metro map just in case you want to use the Metro to make your connections. Madrid airport is huge and you will have to go through customs. For me it was quick and easy but I wasn't trying to make a connection. I arrived in Madrid in the morning. Took Metro to train depot. Arrived Pamplona by trai early afternoon. Stayed overnight at hotel Albert. Bus the next morning to SJPDP.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back