• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My next Camino is on hold.

Penny Kingma

Never Stop Trying !
Time of past OR future Camino
IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0165.JPG I returned home after walking from SJDP to Santiago in July. I informed my hubby that the two of us would return the following year to walk from Santiago to Finesterre and Muxia. Then a week later I dislocated my hip , causing labral tears to both. Now no walking at all. The in activity is driving me nuts. Our one son is flying to Arizona over Christmas with his girlfriends family. So I decided my hubby, our youngest and myself would fly to Spain to spend Christmas with our 4th child. He's working as an apprentice at the Spanish Guitar Institute. My oldest two are married and living away. Well Doctor and surgeon have informed me that the trip just isn't a good idea. My hips are just too unstable. I've insisted my husband and youngest still go. They've argued knowing family is number one to me. I think it's important for them to go. So yes I'll be spending Christmas alone ....well with two cats and a puppy.
I'll be watching The Way....reading journals of my Camino...and the Portugal Camino guide I ordered from Ivar.
Last week I got news after a biopsy.... that the skin cancer I received Cemo for last December may have returned .
So guys plan that next Camino. I was in maximum health until 7 years ago. I spent decades dreaming of the Camino and other trips I wanted to make...and still pray to.
Don't put off living your dreams until it seems right or appropriate. Just Do It !!!
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
View attachment 30642 View attachment 30643 View attachment 30644 I returned home after walking from SJDP to Santiago in July. I informed my hubby that the two of us would return the following year to walk from Santiago to Finesterre and Muxia. Then a week later I dislocated my hip , causing labral tears to both. Now no walking at all. The in activity is driving me nuts. Our one son is flying to Arizona over Christmas with his girlfriends family. So I decided my hubby, our youngest and myself would fly to Spain to spend Christmas with our 4th child. He's working as an apprentice at the Spanish Guitar Institute. My oldest two are married and living away. Well Doctor and surgeon have informed me that the trip just isn't a good idea. My hips are just too unstable. I've insisted my husband and youngest still go. They've argued knowing family is number one to me. I think it's important for them to go. So yes I'll be spending Christmas alone ....well with two cats and a puppy.
I'll be watching The Way....reading journals of my Camino...and the Portugal Camino guide I ordered from Ivar.
Last week I got news after a biopsy.... that the skin cancer I received Cemo for last December may have returned .
So guys plan that next Camino. I was in maximum health until 7 years ago. I spent decades dreaming of the Camino and other trips I wanted to make...and still pray to.
Don't put off living your dreams until it seems right or appropriate. Just Do It !!!
Buen Camino
Oh Penny, do I feel for you. It is cruel to suddenly have something so incapacitating and threatening happen.
When your will is so strong and your body just stops you.
We take our bodies for granted and then suddenly they almost seem to get in the way.
Will your hips come right do you know?
I hope your skin cancer is treatable.
I know a little bit how you might feel.
Have had high grade cancer in bladder and kidney, but fortunately have been able to carry on walking pilgrims routes. On my last walk, the Via Gebenennsis I broke a bone in my foot, but was so angry about it I walked the 350 km on it.
3.5 months later it is still not quite right but getting there.
I keep my fingers crossed for your recovery.

View attachment 30642 View attachment 30643 View attachment 30644 I returned home after walking from SJDP to Santiago in July. I informed my hubby that the two of us would return the following year to walk from Santiago to Finesterre and Muxia. Then a week later I dislocated my hip , causing labral tears to both. Now no walking at all. The in activity is driving me nuts. Our one son is flying to Arizona over Christmas with his girlfriends family. So I decided my hubby, our youngest and myself would fly to Spain to spend Christmas with our 4th child. He's working as an apprentice at the Spanish Guitar Institute. My oldest two are married and living away. Well Doctor and surgeon have informed me that the trip just isn't a good idea. My hips are just too unstable. I've insisted my husband and youngest still go. They've argued knowing family is number one to me. I think it's important for them to go. So yes I'll be spending Christmas alone ....well with two cats and a puppy.
Buen Camino
It is so true what you say! Best wishes for your Christmas (and beyond!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh Penny, do I feel for you. It is cruel to suddenly have something so incapacitating and threatening happen.
When your will is so strong and your body just stops you.
We take our bodies for granted and then suddenly they almost seem to get in the way.
Will your hips come right do you know?
I hope your skin cancer is treatable.
I know a little bit how you might feel.
Have had high grade cancer in bladder and kidney, but fortunately have been able to carry on walking pilgrims routes. On my last walk, the Via Gebenennsis I broke a bone in my foot, but was so angry about it I walked the 350 km on it.
3.5 months later it is still not quite right but getting there.
I keep my fingers crossed for your recovery.
I was warned last December that if the skin cancer came back it would mean disfiguring surgery. Luckily my sweet hubby says I'd still be sexy with half a nose. Strangely the Doctor told me to come in March. He said he wants me to enjoy my Christmas and concentrate on my hips. As of them it's looking like a replacement to the left. The right we don't know yet.
Never take good health for granted....it's a precious gift.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gosh Penny. I understand. I returned from winter CF camino 2014 faced life's many hurdles with camino vigor keeping me going and then.... September 2015, Dr said I have Autoimmune Hepatitis. It had gone unremarked, unchecked, and undiagnosed for years possibly decades which has led to Stage 4 liver cirrhosis. I do not even drink! I took steroids for a year, could barely walk for at least six months, had to forego camino this year. Finally, in remission and walking again. Next summer: Via de la Plata to Muxia to Fisterra. Everyone, Penny is correct: Live your dreams now because tomorrow.... Merry Christmas to all.

Gosh Penny. I understand. I returned from winter CF camino 2014 faced life's many hurdles with camino vigor keeping me going and then.... September 2015, Dr said I have Autoimmune Hepatitis. It had gone unremarked, unchecked, and undiagnosed for years possibly decades which has led to Stage 4 liver cirrhosis. I do not even drink! I took steroids for a year, could barely walk for at least six months, had to forego camino this year. Finally, in remission and walking again. Next summer: Via de la Plata to Muxia to Fisterra. Everyone, Penny is correct: Live your dreams now because tomorrow.... Merry Christmas to all.
I
hope all is well with you now. I was diagnosed just 11 months before my Camino with M.S. after years of arguing with my Dr that something was wrong. Neurologist feels I've had it for decades. It's a hard go. May you continue to improve.....never let it hold you back...but add fire to your determination to move forward.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino
I'm asking my old friend, Santo Iago, to watch over you. I'm absolutely sure he keeps an eye out for all pilgrims even when they've returned home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was warned last December that if the skin cancer came back it would mean disfiguring surgery. Luckily my sweet hubby says I'd still be sexy with half a nose. Strangely the Doctor told me to come in March. He said he wants me to enjoy my Christmas and concentrate on my hips. As of them it's looking like a replacement to the left. The right we don't know yet.
Doctors are strange. They tell you it's too urgent for you to do what you want and miss and feel called to do...and then say that you can wait for months for that next test they want or whatever. Is a puzzlement.
Talk to Santiago. He watches over us. (Even now, I tell him "thank you" for his aid on our pilgrimages. And mention that we want to visit him again next year.) Another patron of pilgrims: San Rocco.
May this part of your life's Camino be fruitful, and may you be able to walk the trail again soon.
k.

Thank you for all your lovely thoughts and comments. I was truly blessed on my Camino it and all of you give me strength with this pilgrimage.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please go Penny -- make a Winter Pilgrimage if needed and get yourself a great big wide brim cotton hat and the best possible clothing protection for your skin. Get a cape if your skin needs one.

But go.

Please listen to your doctor and avoid late Spring to early Autumn ; but this good advice should not prevent your call to follow the Way.

Please --

DO NOT even TRY and carry your own pack ; recruit instead whom you need. Listen to and ignore your hips -- the Camino is a Way, and neither a "trail" nor a race.

Understand your abilities in balance with your limits -- the Camino for those of us in ill-health will always be a source of particular pains as much as particular joys.

And Remember -- you are NEVER alone.

Hi, Penny,
Having had a few bad things happen recently, it occurred to me that the phrase "misery loves company" is a very inartful but accurate way of expressing our human desire for companionship and solidarity in the tough times. Here on the forum, we can only add that via cyberspace, but I hope it is strong and comforting nonetheless. And I am happy that you have many "live" connections to bolster and carry you along through the unknowns. Wishing you strength in your recovery and comfort as you go through it, Laurie

For sure!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Penny...you're so right.
There is only one breath between life and death, between health and illness. These are everyday truths that most of us have the luxury of avoiding. For now.

But you're in the middle of that, cornered--and it's a hugely challenging camino in its own right. I offer my heartfelt well-wishes for ease, health and strength of heart and body.
It is beautiful to see how you are rising to the occasion--I bow to that.
Ultreia........onward!
V
(PS, having had a rather large skin cancer taken off one side of my nose, as well as another more dramatically "disfuguring" surgery for another cancer...I can relate a little to your situation, at least to the challenge of adjusting to a sudden change in health and unexpected limitations. It is a hard road...but a good teacher.)

Dear Penny...you're so right.
There is only one breath between life and death, between health and illness. These are everyday truths that most of us have the luxury of avoiding. For now.

But you're in the middle of that, cornered--and it's a hugely challenging camino in its own right. I offer my heartfelt well-wishes for ease, health and strength of heart and body.
It is beautiful to see how you are rising to the occasion--I bow to that.
Ultreia........onward!
V
(PS, having had a rather large skin cancer taken off one side of my nose, as well as another more dramatically "disfuguring" surgery for another cancer...I can relate a little to your situation, at least to the challenge of adjusting to a sudden change in health and unexpected limitations. It is a hard road...but a good teacher.)
Thank you and Bless you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nothing could disfigure the obvious beauty of your soul Penny .
I am four years on from prostate cancer, I understand the disappointment . I send you my prayers and perhaps a few tears as well .

To all my fellow pilgrims. We all fight different battles in life, mine are no worse. I celebrate all of you for finding the strength to choose to fight. By putting on that pack and choosing to walk...your choosing to not give up..but to strive to always move forward. I feel so blessed in doing so...meeting....and being part of such an inspiring group of people.
Buen Camino

IMG_0252.JPG
I had this tattoo done a week before I left for the Camino. My husband and children wrote and did the symbols. I knew they loved me...but I also knew I'd have moments on my Camino that I'd need them. When I felt I needed that extra push I just needed to look down, rub or yes sometimes kiss my wrist.... and it felt like their warm embrace. So I know I'm never alone......

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
...the phrase "misery loves company" is a very inartful but accurate way of expressing our human desire for companionship and solidarity in the tough times. Here on the forum, we can only add that via cyberspace, but I hope it is strong and comforting nonetheless.
Hi to Penny and all the others who posted on this thread,
Your inner beauty and strength shines through your words. Exactly what I need...support and understanding from fellow pilgrims. My current camino is here at home, fighting leukemia. I was diagnosed this June (totally out of the blue, I was just a little tired, working two jobs will do that), and today I am waiting for my lab results, praying that I hit my 6 month milestone.

Life is unpredictable, of course. But yes, I naively expected to be in tip top health...to plan my next pilgrimage and walk in peace. I have had to postpone my next camino but I find comfort and encouragement here.
I didn't want to make this about ME...it's intended to be about YOU!
I quoted peregrina2000 because this forum offers support and comfort to people all over the world. Not just boots vs. shoes advice (that's what initially draws people here), but inspiration and life advice.
THANK YOU TO ALL FOR BEING A BRIGHT LIGHT!
Anna Maria
P.s. Who's the mathematician?

View attachment 30683
I had this tattoo done a week before I left for the Camino. My husband and children wrote and did the symbols. I knew they loved me...but I also knew I'd have moments on my Camino that I'd need them. When I felt I needed that extra push I just needed to look down, rub or yes sometimes kiss my wrist.... and it felt like their warm embrace. So I know I'm never alone......

I usually dislike tattoos -- yours is extraordinarily beautiful !!

God Bless your family, and God Bless your Camino

kaixo,

This thread has morphed into a community share of ailments and aren't we lucky Penny started thread. May all us find the "camino of illness" as miraculous as our caminos were.

Look at these smiles from my time on the Camino. I had my yearly Neurological appointment yesterday for my Multiple Sclerosis. My Doctor still argues I shouldn't have done it as it could cause a relapse. Yes I was in pain, fought it everyday. Yet I'd do each and every step again. The beauty in the people I met and scenery I marvelled in. The experience was worth any risk I took in doing so. My lesson to all of you is to listen to your heart. Do All You can do while you can. My response to my Doctor was to offer an apology for being a difficult patient. My next statement was to warn him that I wouldn't change. Always strive to be All You Can Be each and every day.
Been Camino
:)

Attachments

• IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 19
Wow, Penny, what a post. Living completely, knowing it could change any minute.
I love what you told your doctor--and very much hope your hips have healed...
Ultreia, and buen camino de la vida, peregrina!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will Always give it my all !
My hips are still being assessed. My movement is pretty limited, yet surgeons are still arguing I'm too young for a replacement. June 5th I'm having a joint assessment to try and push a replacement. I have a sports medicine Doctor really working with me so fingers crossed. He understands my frustrations and knows I'm itching for my next adventure.
Buen Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back