• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My own socks test

anoldfireman

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024 Primativo
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat-
I wanted to find my perfect combination for no blisters. I am an older dude who is on biologics so when I get a blister or skin issue it takes about 4-5 times as long to heal as everyone else. I am sure diabetics or psoriasis sufferers out there have their own issues.
Anyway, I wanted to do Merino wool socks with some kind of liner and bought lots of different brands/types to test in different combinations. I tried 7 different brands of wool socks and narrowed it down to two brands- I did not care about warranty or if they last 1000 miles… I just cared about performance in keeping my foot breathing and staying put as to lessen friction.
The two brands were Smartwool and Darn Tough. I tried some Danish Endurance, REI, Bombas, Point6 and a few others.
Between Smart and Darn I ended up with Darn Tough as they seemed to fray less after I washed them roughly in a bag and hang dried several times.
Anyway, Darn Tough- I tried their hiking and running socks in no cushion, ultra light cushion and light cushion.
Then I tried all of them with different liners. The three liners i tried were the Injinji wool and synthetic and then the REI silk liners.
I ended up liking the thin Injinji synthetic liners best and could wear them with my sandals if worst came to worst.
So I have narrowed down my final choice after doing 16 miles yesterday with a pack. I will be doing the thin Injinji liners with the Darn tough. I will wear/carry the Darn tough run ultralight and the Darn Tough microcrew lightweight hiking with the liners.
I did all that with my On Cloudsurfer trail shoes.
I am onto testing some shoes- I love my ON shoes but will be testing the Hoka Challengers (wide) and the Topo Trailventure 2’s this next week. I tried a new set of Hoka sandals they just came out with but they rubbed a lot. I will stick with my Teva Terra Fi’s which I love. See you on the Primativo in June 😜

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat-
I wanted to find my perfect combination for no blisters. I am an older dude who is on biologics so when I get a blister or skin issue it takes about 4-5 times as long to heal as everyone else. I am sure diabetics or psoriasis sufferers out there have their own issues.
Anyway, I wanted to do Merino wool socks with some kind of liner and bought lots of different brands/types to test in different combinations. I tried 7 different brands of wool socks and narrowed it down to two brands- I did not care about warranty or if they last 1000 miles… I just cared about performance in keeping my foot breathing and staying put as to lessen friction.
The two brands were Smartwool and Darn Tough. I tried some Danish Endurance, REI, Bombas, Point6 and a few others.
Between Smart and Darn I ended up with Darn Tough as they seemed to fray less after I washed them roughly in a bag and hang dried several times.
Anyway, Darn Tough- I tried their hiking and running socks in no cushion, ultra light cushion and light cushion.
Then I tried all of them with different liners. The three liners i tried were the Injinji wool and synthetic and then the REI silk liners.
I ended up liking the thin Injinji synthetic liners best and could wear them with my sandals if worst came to worst.
So I have narrowed down my final choice after doing 16 miles yesterday with a pack. I will be doing the thin Injinji liners with the Darn tough. I will wear/carry the Darn tough run ultralight and the Darn Tough microcrew lightweight hiking with the liners.
I am onto testing some shoes- I love my ON shoes but will be testing the Hoka Challengers (wide) and the Topo Trailventure 2’s this next week. I tried a new set of Hoka sandals they just came out with but they rubbed a lot. I will stick with my Teva Terra Fi’s which I love. See you on the Primativo in June 😜
I feel ya, brother. I, too am on a biologic due to Crohn’s Disease. All I can say is what works for me. As my daughter says, ‘you do you’. I leave for my Camino Monday (Franćes). I’ve been training for the last year. I used Injinji toe liners with Smartwool socks (two layers). I did 1040 km of training with this combo of socks—-no blisters. Bless. Buen Camino.

I feel ya, brother. I, too am on a biologic due to Crohn’s Disease. All I can say is what works for me. As my daughter says, ‘you do you’. I leave for my Camino Monday (Franćes). I’ve been training for the last year. I used Injinji toe liners with Smartwool socks (two layers). I did 1040 km of training with this combo of socks—-no blisters. Bless. Buen Camino.
Thank you for giving me a boost of confidence! I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis 30+ years ago, hence the Biologics- thanks again 😜

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried many different socks but ended up using DarnTough “Tactical” on 3 Caminos. Two pair lasted me 2 of the walks and are still holding strong. The Tactical line have lasted me way longer then the regular even thought they look and feel the same. I’m 6 foot and 230lbs and go through regular socks in about 4 wears.

Darn Tough socks are my favorite socks- they also have a lifetime guarantee so you can return them for a new pair anytime.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tried many different socks but ended up using DarnTough “Tactical” on 3 Caminos. Two pair lasted me 2 of the walks and are still holding strong. The Tactical line have lasted me way longer then the regular even thought they look and feel the same. I’m 6 foot and 230lbs and go through regular socks in about 4 wears.
Super! Just looked them up- they say “Reinforced heel and toe for increased strength and durability”
55% wool- I am going to order a pair of the lightweight no cushion as they are all out of the lightweight with cushion. Thank you! Have an awesome day!

I can see your challenges and I hope you had some fun doing your research. May I suggest one thing that you can decide to follow up on, have already looked into and discarded or try for the fun of it. As you use REI and know about their great return policy. It is a great idea to get a wide shoe, also think about going up half a size because of foot expansion and possible double socks (I go up a full size but I think I am in the minority on this). Check out the Hoka Speedgoats. My wife had knee and foot issues that went away with her Hokas. I have a pair of Speedgoats and love them. But I wear Brooks Cascadias on my Caminos haha. But I have read on this forum and from so many others how much they like Hokas, and many who specifically say the Speedgoats being the best for camino walking. Great cushion, super light and comfortable. Anyway buen camino

Super! Just looked them up- they say “Reinforced heel and toe for increased strength and durability”
55% wool- I am going to order a pair of the lightweight no cushion as they are all out of the lightweight with cushion. Thank you! Have an awesome day!
If your government (police, fire, military)buy them thru GovX only $19

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Injinji and Darn Tough are my favourites as well. I throw everything in the washing machine and dryer because I am lazy that way. The socks survive and I have very happy feet.

Buen Camino!

I can see your challenges and I hope you had some fun doing your research. May I suggest one thing that you can decide to follow up on, have already looked into and discarded or try for the fun of it. As you use REI and know about their great return policy. It is a great idea to get a wide shoe, also think about going up half a size because of foot expansion and possible double socks (I go up a full size but I think I am in the minority on this). Check out the Hoka Speedgoats. My wife had knee and foot issues that went away with her Hokas. I have a pair of Speedgoats and love them. But I wear Brooks Cascadias on my Caminos haha. But I have read on this forum and from so many others how much they like Hokas, and many who specifically say the Speedgoats being the best for camino walking. Great cushion, super light and comfortable. Anyway buen camino
Thanks so! I did the hopara 2 sandals and were turned off right away- I wear Hoka Arahi size 10wide for everyday (1pair thin socks) so I did try the Speedgoats in store. I tried the speedgoats in 10.5 wide and they seemed to be more narrow than my 10w arahis- so, with your suggestion I think I will try the Speedgoats in 11 wide if the Challenger does not fit- I ordered those in 10.5 wide. I like my ON cloudsurfer trail but they really do not have enough traction and they are not wide enough for two socks (and swelling and do not come in wide sizes)
I have bought from Hoka direct, zappos, and REI. I have never thought of returning things after wearing something for 2 weeks but none of them seem to care. Its crazy but I do know from a friend from Viet Nam that a $150 pair of Hokas cost them $8. To make. Way of the world now I guess. Thanks for the info 😉

Oooo second reply- do you wear the cascadia in wide and one size larger? Gtx or regular model? I see they come in wide 😝😜

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's helpful, thanks @arnoldfireman. I'm a fan of Darn Tough so you immediately got me on board. They're actually the only brand of wool socks I've ever tried, they seem to work for me. I did get a blister on the sole of my foot my first (short, Sarria to SdC) Camino, though... so I'll try the injinjis next time. Looking forward to your shoe research, I am in the market for a new pair for next time. Did this one with my well-worn-in Goretex leather walking shoes and they were fine, but a bit heavy.

I
I find Teko Marino eco Brilliant two pairs have seen me through three Camino

I

I find Teko Marino eco Brilliant two pairs have seen me through three Camino
Will have to put these on a future test. I looked but only place I can pick up is in Oregon. its $7. For shipping on a $20 sock. So next time, thanks 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your choices are just what I’ve used in all my Caminos without a blister. My two sucks are about the thickness of normal socks. I’m also old and it took many trots find the right combo. All my Caminos have been done with some style of Brooks shies in wide. You’ll love the Camino.

Oooo second reply- do you wear the cascadia in wide and one size larger? Gtx or regular model? I see they come in wide 😝😜
I have always worn the regular model. I think the difference with the GTX is that it is waterproof. Yes my Cascadias are 2 wide and one size up.

Last edited:
Thanks so! I did the hopara 2 sandals and were turned off right away- I wear Hoka Arahi size 10wide for everyday (1pair thin socks) so I did try the Speedgoats in store. I tried the speedgoats in 10.5 wide and they seemed to be more narrow than my 10w arahis- so, with your suggestion I think I will try the Speedgoats in 11 wide if the Challenger does not fit- I ordered those in 10.5 wide. I like my ON cloudsurfer trail but they really do not have enough traction and they are not wide enough for two socks (and swelling and do not come in wide sizes)
I have bought from Hoka direct, zappos, and REI. I have never thought of returning things after wearing something for 2 weeks but none of them seem to care. Its crazy but I do know from a friend from Viet Nam that a $150 pair of Hokas cost them $8. To make. Way of the world now I guess. Thanks for the info 😉
That totally is the way of the world for sure. I wouldn't have been surprised if you said they cost even less to make. Every brand and even models of the same brand fit differently. For sure try the wide in one size up in the speedgoats.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your choices are just what I’ve used in all my Caminos without a blister. My two sucks are about the thickness of normal socks. I’m also old and it took many trots find the right combo. All my Caminos have been done with some style of Brooks shies in wide. You’ll love the Camino.
Love Brooks Cascadias and I recommended the OP to check them out.

Darn Tuff are guaranteed for life (yours). If they're wearing through, just send them back and they'll send you credit for a new pair. Forever!

Last edited by a moderator:
My first Camino was a nightmare for blisters. Then, like you, I found the same Ininji liners you use. But I purchased them as a set with Ininji outer socks. No more blisters. Durable too, two sets (four socks) easily last a Camino at a 5km-6km hour pace. After the first one, I also switched to the Merrill Moab Speed wide width.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.