• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Secret Weapon for Blisters

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
Prepare yourself, fellow pilgrims, for I am about to reveal my secret weapon against the dreaded blisters (your mileage may vary) As I embark on my third Camino journey, I simply couldn't resist sharing this pearl of wisdom with you.

I have utilized this technique not once, but twice on the Camino (and if the stars align, I shall employ it for the third time), as well as during numerous hikes in the splendid wilderness of Utah. And lo and behold, not a single blister dared to mar my foot! The secret lies in an ancient and sacred art that I acquired during my days as a hockey player. Yes, my friends, I have unlocked the mystical power of blister prevention :)

Ready for the big reveal? Here it comes!
1684466903610.png
Step one: Don a nylon ankle sock. Step two: Slip on a pair of top-notch wool socks. Boom! A match made in blister-fighting heaven. The sleek nylon sock acts as a shield, preventing friction and irritation, while the cozy wool socks provide that extra cushiony goodness. It's a one-two punch that'll keep blisters at bay!

Now, armed with this sacred knowledge, go forth and conquer the Camino with the confidence of a blister-free warrior. Embrace the power of the nylon ankle sock and wool sock combo, my friends. May your feet remain blissfully blister-free as you stride towards Santiago!

Off you go now, conquerors of blisters! Let the trails tremble beneath your blister-free feet!

(FYI... I thought I would have a little fun using chatGTP :) )

Cheers!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You must be the inventor of 1000 Mile Socks.
I've used them for years and had very few blisters. Thank you for sharing the big secret and letting us know who created them initially.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Cheers!!!!
Funny post thanks! But FYI and FWIW this forum isn't ready for chatGTP. 😂

Thanks for keeping things light. I look forward to seeing your photos of Camino 3. The photos from your first two look amazing! 😍

FYI... I thought I would have a little fun using chatGTP :) )
Stick with your own brain @JJinWI. It does a way better job.😉

But the nylons? Yeah, they do a fine job on heels and soles. Sadly, they're no use for toe blisters. Paper tape and hikers wool are my friends. Along with decent sandals for my very wide feet.

Last year I used them too, worked very good against blisters on heals. To prevent blisters on toes I taped them.

This year on my Camino I wore toe socks and did not have to tape my toes. I put the nylons over my toe socks. Prevented getting blisters on my heals. Because of the friction the nylons stuck to my socks and when I removed them they ripped apart. Luckely the €1 shop/ chinese bazar sells these short nylons, so bought extra on my my Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I prepared for and did my first Camino, I followed forum members' suggestions to deal with potential blisters and they worked (work):
  • Nightly apply Vaseline to soften the skin of the feet while walking the Camino.
  • Wear "anti-blister" socks or two socks. (I had the ones with Camino Shell symbol embodied in it. (Wright?).
  • Change socks when they are wet as soon as possible.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Funny post thanks! But FYI and FWIW this forum isn't ready for chatGTP. 😂

Thanks for keeping things light. I look forward to seeing your photos of Camino 3. The photos from your first two look amazing! 😍
THANKS!!!

Stick with your own brain @JJinWI. It does a way better job.😉

But the nylons? Yeah, they do a fine job on heels and soles. Sadly, they're no use for toe blisters. Paper tape and hikers wool are my friends. Along with decent sandals for my very wide feet.
I used to get blisters where my toes rub so this solution would be incomplete in my case. I applied petroleum jelly with one finger using a finger cot to reduce the potential messiness. Then Injinji toe socks followed by REI Merino wool socks and Hokas. No blisters except one tiny one where a bit of sand remained after a beach walk. That was my fault. I walked over the Pyrenees to Pamplona on the CF, from Bilbao to Llanes on the CN and all of the CI.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used to get blisters where my toes rub so this solution would be incomplete in my case.
Exactly where I can get (bad!) blisters.
The thin paper tape and a wisp of wool work very well for me.
I applied petroleum jelly with one finger using a finger cot to reduce the potential messiness. Then Injinji toe socks followed by REI Merino wool socks and Hokas.
I can't imagine all that fabric, each toe with its own socklet and wool socks on top of all that. In closed shoes? No, thank you. My feet are too wide for all that bulk. (I tried the ininji socks on their own once. That was enough. Maybe if they were lighter weight; nylons would be perfect thickness).
My system works for me, yours works for you...all good.

Last edited:
To the OP: So good to see you around. On the Portugues from Porto, we used your three motivational words to keep us going. Do I recall them? Ah go on! Give me some slack! What I do remember is that every day, once we were on the camino, we used your words as our walking aids. Thank you, Sincerely.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Exactly where I can get (bad!) blisters.
The thin paper tape and a wisp of wool work very well for me.

I can't imagine all that fabric, each toe with its own socklet and wool socks on top of all that. In closed shoes? No, thank you. My feet are too wide for all that bulk. (I tried the ininji socks once. That was enough.)
My system works for me, yours works for you...all good.
My thoughts exactly when I first heard of them in 2006! I thought of those huge knitted things but these are thin, wicking, seam-free and a lifesaver. But you are absolutely right! We each need to find something that works for us. Buen Camino

They make my feet sweat worse.
Mine too. I need injinji toe socks with my merino wool socks. Wick moisture away - but also keep my toes separated and since wearing them - I have never again gotten one of my usual toe area blisters.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Prepare yourself, fellow pilgrims, for I am about to reveal my secret weapon against the dreaded blisters (your mileage may vary) As I embark on my third Camino journey, I simply couldn't resist sharing this pearl of wisdom with you.

I have utilized this technique not once, but twice on the Camino (and if the stars align, I shall employ it for the third time), as well as during numerous hikes in the splendid wilderness of Utah. And lo and behold, not a single blister dared to mar my foot! The secret lies in an ancient and sacred art that I acquired during my days as a hockey player. Yes, my friends, I have unlocked the mystical power of blister prevention :)

View attachment 147290
Step one: Don a nylon ankle sock. Step two: Slip on a pair of top-notch wool socks. Boom! A match made in blister-fighting heaven. The sleek nylon sock acts as a shield, preventing friction and irritation, while the cozy wool socks provide that extra cushiony goodness. It's a one-two punch that'll keep blisters at bay!

Now, armed with this sacred knowledge, go forth and conquer the Camino with the confidence of a blister-free warrior. Embrace the power of the nylon ankle sock and wool sock combo, my friends. May your feet remain blissfully blister-free as you stride towards Santiago!

Off you go now, conquerors of blisters! Let the trails tremble beneath your blister-free feet!

Cheers!!!!
😂

View attachment 147290

Cheers!!!!
Now, do not disappoint us . . . you are not going to, later on, charge us for your terrific advice and use your lawyer to sue us if we do not pay up? I don't know. Perhaps I should just wire you the $20 now.

Now, do not disappoint us . . . you are not going to, later on, charge us for your terrific advice and use your lawyer to sue us if we do not pay up? I don't know. Perhaps I should just wire you the $20 now.
:cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To the OP: So good to see you around. On the Portugues from Porto, we used your three motivational words to keep us going. Do I recall them? Ah go on! Give me some slack! What I do remember is that every day, once we were on the camino, we used your words as our walking aids. Thank you, Sincerely.
Great to hear from you!

FYI - I'm starting my third Camino (French Way again) on June 1.
I'm going ultra lightweight this time... so no daily blog :-(
Last year I carried 22 pounds (~10kg)... which included a laptop, charge, mouse... so I could do my daily blogs
This year I will carry about 17 pounds (~7.7kg)

"It's A GREAT day to be a Pilgrim!!!"

Cheers,

View attachment 147290

Cheers!!!!
I used exactly this, except just cheap wick off socks from Aldi. No blisters at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That disclaimer should have been at the beginning. Some of the replies sound like folks took it seriously. There are plenty of examples of ChatGPT and its cousins just making stuff up and/or spewing what the questioner wants to hear. Even citing sources that don't exist.
(I've personally witnessed three of the hazards I warn about. One example: ChatGPT wrote about how much Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols admired Elvis Presley. Took me less than fifteen seconds to find an interview transcript where they said Elvis sucks and his fans are idiots.)
And regarding "what the questioner wants to hear"—or what the people who train the app want you to hear. Those folks decide which texts the app will scan for material and which it won't.

That disclaimer should have been at the beginning. Some of the replies sound like folks took it seriously. There are plenty of examples of ChatGPT and its cousins just making stuff up and/or spewing what the questioner wants to hear. Even citing sources that don't exist.
(I've personally witnessed three of the hazards I warn about. One example: ChatGPT wrote about how much Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols admired Elvis Presley. Took me less than fifteen seconds to find an interview transcript where they said Elvis sucks and his fans are idiots.)
And regarding "what the questioner wants to hear"—or what the people who train the app want you to hear. Those folks decide which texts the app will scan for material and which it won't.
FYI... I only used ChapGPT to rewrite my content to spice it up with some humor/flair to the content.

It does a decent job and can add a little fun to the content (if you know how to use the right prompts)

FYI... I only used ChapGPT to rewrite my content to spice it up with some humor/flair to the content.
Ah, well, in that case, the comment at the end might cause many of us to consider the advice useless. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 147290

Cheers!!!!
Sure. This is so secret that it was mentioned way back in 2013 by @Albertinho. There may have been earlier descriptions of the technique.

View attachment 147290

Cheers!!!!
It did not work for me as it felt slippery in my shoes. But what did work, and I did all my Caminos using them, was toe socks, specially Injiinji brand. Never had a blister

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the info... much appreciated!
Da nada. Not to rain too much on your parade, but I was introduced to the technique in 1974. I have used thin woollen or coolmax liner socks for a couple of decades now rather than thin nylon socks. It works for me.

View attachment 147290

Cheers!!!!
Nice, good one! Similar idea to Wright socks. My feet get hot, too, especially between toes, so I also use Ininji 5-finger socks. Both Wright & Ininji work for me. And if it is cold & wet & I am wearing hiking sandals, Smart Wool socks over one of those keeps my feet dry. In a downpour, I slip on plastic grocery sack then put on sandals. Usually briefly.

I've done 3 CF an 2 VF (1900 km) + St. Olavs traiil in Norway and never had a single blister. I use ordinary sport sock but my walking shoes are 1,5 size bigger than I use in every day use and that is the reason. When hot I use toe socks but you can just us ordinary sport socks and I put vaseline on my feet before I go to sleep 😀
Good luck on the 3rd Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I used aluminum foil tape on soles of feet and never had a blister also used nylon with anti blister socks and have used sports socks as above use vaseline into feet at night take regular breaks have a foot massage some of the alberques i stayed in the monastary gave a foot bath on entering dont know if they still do that dont overdo and keep the pace at your speed and time enjoy Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.