• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Effectively Avoiding Blisters

markss

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from SJPP (3/10 & 10/10); Primitivo (6/12)
To avoid blisters, slather vasoline (petrolium jelly) on both feet BEFORE setting out on each day's trek. I have seen advice of using this to soothe blisters after they develop, however if doing this in advance you will be far less likely to ever get any blisters.

I have done four caminos and run dozens of marathons blister free. It was only in rare instances when I neglected this process that any blisters developed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To avoid blisters, slather vasoline (petrolium jelly) on both feet BEFORE setting out on each day's trek. I have seen advice of using this to soothe blisters after they develop, however if doing this in advance you will be far less likely to ever get any blisters.

I have done four caminos and run dozens of marathons blister free. It was only in rare instances when I neglected this process that any blisters developed.
There are many people here that use this technique, but it is far from the only solution. @Rebecca Rushton has a very good website here, associated with her professional practice, that explains the pros and cons of various techniques.

My own preference is to use a liner sock for longer walks, and give the liner sock a light dusting of foot powder before putting it on. I have had similar results to @markss.

edit: John Vonhoff's site is another good resource.

Last edited:

How effectively can you launder your socks?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, remedies vary.
It *seems* that if your feet tend to sweat a lot, go with dry solutions.
If, on the other hand, your feet are cracking dry, consider wet ones (Vaseline).
In either case, make sure that your feet aren't actively rubbing against your sock/ shoe. Go Goldilocks...not too loose, not too tight, just right.

There are many people here that use this technique, but it is far from the only solution. @Rebecca Rushton has a very good website here, associated with her professional practice, that explains the pros and cons of various techniques.

My own preference is to use a liner sock for longer walks, and give the liner sock a light dusting of foot powder before putting it on. I have had similar results to @markss.

I used vaseline and a thin synthetic liner sock on my first camino. Sometime during my second camino I dropped the vaseline. Now I only wear the liner socks if it is hot, which is not too often because I start now in late October. But of course this year I am starting a month earlier so I am bringing 2 pairs of liners.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started out walking my first few Caminos using vaseline, but have since found choosing the right socks, shoes and different preventative measures to be best at keeping me blister free.

I've made a video on blister prevention, which may help some of you -

Thanks for your post and the links. I like Vonhoff's book and will check out his site. The link to Rushton's site doesn't work.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks @dougfitz. The website is at blister-prevention.com these days.

Blisters continue to be *tricky* and what works for one doesn't work for another, for a very specific reason. That is, our (mainstream) understanding of what causes blisters is a bit off the mark. Most think it's friction (ie: rubbing) and so the solution must be stop things rubbing the foot. The opposite is true. Think about it, Vaseline works by making things slippery and rub more. Yet it can prevent blisters for a lot of people?

Friction's more scientific definition is the force that keeps surfaces stuck together (surfaces as in: skin-sock, sock-shoe, shoe-ground... high friction means they are grippy). It's not the rubbing on the skin that's important. But there is something moving relative to the skin surface that is important, and it's happening from within. It's the bones of the feet. The bones move back and forth with every step we take. Meanwhile, high friction levels keep the skin, sock, shoe and ground all stuck together (think traction). This is normal and a good thing for efficient walking (think about how inefficient it is to walk on a slippery floor without traction (low friction)). So the bones move and the skin doesn't and it's the job of all the soft tissue layers between skin surface and bone, which are all connected, to stretch and distort to allow for the mismatch in movement (between skin surface and bone).

So the relevant factors to blister formation are moving foot bones, high friction levels (which means grip and traction, which are good for efficient walking, until it gets too much), and the repetition (the more steps you take, the more likely blister formation is).

Back to rubbing - With any single rubbing action, there are 2 parts to it. The first is where there is no relative movement (no rubbing); the second is where there is relative movement (rubbing). The amount of shear is going to be determined by how long those two surfaces remain in stationary contact (ie: the no rubbing part). Make it slippery and shear deformation will be small (you'll be able to take more steps before the blister injury happens). Make it grippy and shear deformation will be big (more likely to get blisters sooner).

There's are nuances beyond this, but I thought this explanation might help a few people who are confused about the conflicting advice around blister prevention.

I started out walking my first few Caminos using vaseline, but have since found choosing the right socks, shoes and different preventative measures to be best at keeping me blister free.

I've made a video on blister prevention, which may help some of you -
Sensible info. I fully agree with your advice.

And I completely agree with you on Compeed: It's one of the Devil's finest creations, IMHO...

Sensible info. I fully agree with your advice.

And I completely agree with you on Compeed: It's one of the Devil's finest creations, IMHO...
ha ha, I'm glad I'm not on my own with my views on Compeed. Some of the damage I've seen them do is certainly isn't something I want to see again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some of the damage I've seen them do is certainly isn't something I want to see again.
Likewise... As hotspot treatment, maybe, but there are better (and cheaper!) ways of doing that. When a blister has started to form, Compeed is a sure way to make it worse. Again, IMHO.

I vote for sock liners - foolproof!!

Likewise... As hotspot treatment, maybe, but there are better (and cheaper!) ways of doing that. When a blister has started to form, Compeed is a sure way to make it worse. Again, IMHO.
totally, I would often see people with a massive blister that had formed under the compeed that they then couldn't get at.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ditching hiking boots, adopting proper fitting trail shoes and using 'Wright' brand lined socks made blisters a distant memory at least for me.
I think I have witnessed every imaginary foot prep solution on various mornings though.
If you find something that works for you, well keep at it.
Caminos are certainly more fun when your feet aren't killing you!

Pleas

E note

Please note, the original post says dozens of marathons. Which would infer well fitting footware and most important, feet that are toughen up from many miles. The best shoes, socks, and creams are of little help if ones feet are not accustomed to many miles a day. For many of us, blisters, sore muscles, etc are just a part of the experience. Embrace it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It actually doesnt cause any problems with your socks. However, i dont use vaseline. A couple of times I found it hard to come by. Vick on the other hand available in all farmacias. Umguentum del peregrinos is another vaseline like ointment and is really excellent. It is however quite a bit more expensive than the other two and even harder to find. I cannot vouch for this benefit of Vick but I have been told bedbugs do not like the smell and give it a wide berth. Could be true but I have no evidence to support it. But for the blisters, I found those ointments are excellent. Five caminos and I could count the blisters on one hand and have a finger or two left over. Good socks and well ftting and broken in footwear are essential

I am no expert, however, I have been told that staying well hydrated is important for preventing blisters. It does, anecdotally, seem to help me.

And liner socks.

And stopping every couple of hours and taking off your shoes and socks, letting your feet rest and cool off, and rinsing and drying them. And changing to fresh dry socks if the ones you were wearing are wet from sweat or water.

And preparing for your walk by walking 5+ miles a day for the last couple of weeks before your trip, in the shoes and socks you intend to camino in, with your intended pack weight on you...

And *noticing* when you feel a hot spot and stopping to do *something* about it, whatever your something is, before it's too late. Last year it was medical tape around the ball and big toe of one foot... blisters were beginning there the second day of our walk, and this tape, left on for a few days, let them go back to normal (callouses formed instead)
1693327989713.png

(And not carrying excess weight! All other things being the same, walking with 15kg will give me blisters when 10kg does not -- I'm finding out this year, as I work to get in shape carrying 15-20kg...)

(I've had only one blister in four caminos following the above ideas. )

-Kevin

Last edited:
Assuming this is a serious question: I wash my socks after each use with soap and water in the basin. They usually are dry by morning, but if not hang them on your backpack until dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pay attention to your feet as you walk. As soon as you start to feel a warm spot, stop immediately, remove your shoes and socks and inspect the spot. If it’s just a little warm, I slap some NexCare tape on it. However, if it’s red and hot but has not blistered, that’s when to use Compeed. Do not wait for it to start to hurt because, as I learned from experience, then it’s too late. Having stated the above, this is what has worked for me. Much depends on the individual.

It was recommended to me and did it once but I avoided it henceforth due to the difficulty in removing the greasiness from the socks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Blisters continue to be *tricky* and what works for one doesn't work for another, for a very specific reason. That is, our (mainstream) understanding of what causes blisters is a bit off the mark. Most think it's friction (ie: rubbing) and so the solution must be stop things rubbing the foot. The opposite is true. Think about it, Vaseline works by making things slippery and rub more. Yet it can prevent blisters for a lot of people?

Friction's more scientific definition is the force that keeps surfaces stuck together (surfaces as in: skin-sock, sock-shoe, shoe-ground... high friction means they are grippy). It's not the rubbing on the skin that's important. But there is something moving relative to the skin surface that is important, and it's happening from within. It's the bones of the feet. The bones move back and forth with every step we take. Meanwhile, high friction levels keep the skin, sock, shoe and ground all stuck together (think traction). This is normal and a good thing for efficient walking (think about how inefficient it is to walk on a slippery floor without traction (low friction)). So the bones move and the skin doesn't and it's the job of all the soft tissue layers between skin surface and bone, which are all connected, to stretch and distort to allow for the mismatch in movement (between skin surface and bone).

So the relevant factors to blister formation are moving foot bones, high friction levels (which means grip and traction, which are good for efficient walking, until it gets too much), and the repetition (the more steps you take, the more likely blister formation is).

Back to rubbing - With any single rubbing action, there are 2 parts to it. The first is where there is no relative movement (no rubbing); the second is where there is relative movement (rubbing). The amount of shear is going to be determined by how long those two surfaces remain in stationary contact (ie: the no rubbing part). Make it slippery and shear deformation will be small (you'll be able to take more steps before the blister injury happens). Make it grippy and shear deformation will be big (more likely to get blisters sooner).

There's are nuances beyond this, but I thought this explanation might help a few people who are confused about the conflicting advice around blister prevention.
Thank you. I came to a similar conclusion while walking my camino and to avoid more blisters, I resorted to taping my toes starting with my big toe covering the others across and then coming under them ending back to the big toe. That was my saving grace that allowed me to walk every morning and reaching my destination at the end of the day.

I tried the Vaseline on 1st Camino Frances but didn't like what happened to my socks. I bought baby powder and put lots of it on and between toes...I will never walk without my babypowder now.

ha ha, I'm glad I'm not on my own with my views on Compeed. Some of the damage I've seen them do is certainly isn't something I want to see again.
It seems a shame your description covers the incorrect application of hydro-colloidal dressings, which is using them to treat unbroken blisters, and then removing the dressing too early. Taken together, this is the recipe for disaster you describe.

I have not needed to treat blisters for many years, but a hydro-colloidal dressing should only be put on an already de-roofed blister or other open wound and not removed until it falls off. Use a flexible tape like fixomull over the dressing to keep socks from pulling the edges away from the skin, when one risks pulling the dressing off prematurely when one removes one's socks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It seems a shame your description covers the incorrect application of hydro-colloidal dressings, which is using them to treat unbroken blisters, and then removing the dressing too early. Taken together, this is the recipe for disaster you describe.
You are right
It's important to know when you should use dressings like Compeed, which is explained in this video.

I wear short ‘pop’ or stocking socks on top of Vaseline which takes much of the residue and also helps with friction so avoiding blisters. These are easy to clean out & dry at the end of the day. Eventually after hundreds of km you may get a bit of a build up on socks. Nothing that can’t be washed out with a bar of Sards.

Embrace it.
Oh heck no. I've seen some seriously mangled feet out there. Like people in real pain. Sure, the tough ones suck it up, but others are miserable.

I think the entire point of this thread is "your mileage may vary".

I used to use liners. No blisters.
I used to use toe sock liners. No blisters.
I used to use foot powder. No blisters.
Never vaseline.
Now I just wear quality hiking socks and good shoes. No blisters.

Whatever works for you. You know how you figure that out? You walk a ton.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just saying.
There is no one strategy. I believe blister formation is to do with how your feet are made as much if not more than what you do.
I wear Gortex lightweight hiking boots and one layer of lightweight Merino socks all year round. No Vaseline, no powder, no sock liner, no hikers wool ….
Only two tiny blisters in three Caminos which were caused by incorrect inner soles. Corrected that problem immediately and blisters quickly healed.
I can take very little credit for being blister free. It’s in the feet genes. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:

@Rebecca Rushton
Great information-I picked up 2 packs of Engo patches. What else would you suggest I have with me…. In case -I do develop a Blister? I watched several of your YT videos- good solid information. I leave for my Camino in a month 👣

Thanks for that explanation. It helps us understand how complex blister formation is, and how one person's confident declaration of a sure solution may not work for everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for that explanation. It helps us understand how complex blister formation is, and how one person's confident declaration of a sure solution may not work for everyone.
Right. There is no one size fits all solution, and there are people that are just more blister prone for whatever reason. That's why it's important to do several long walks on consecutive days before the Camino to find out how blister prone you are, and to try different strategies to address it. And it's so important to stop right away when you feel any kind of hot spot on your feet. Stopping a blister is much better than treating one.

Nope. Blisters are not part of my Camino experience, and they can be avoided if hot spots are attended to right away.
Right. There is no one size fits all solution, and there are people that are just more blister prone for whatever reason. That's why it's important to do several long walks on consecutive days before the Camino to find out how blister prone you are, and to try different strategies to address it. And it's so important to stop right away when you feel any kind of hot spot on your feet. Stopping a blister is much better than treating one.
Maybe I got lucky. My first Camino and no blisters. Well-broken-in shoes and 12 mile days in preparation. Cotton blend socks. Taped the hot spots. Ended in Santiago with intact skin.

@Rebecca Rushton
Great information-I picked up 2 packs of Engo patches. What else would you suggest I have with me…. In case -I do develop a Blister? I watched several of your YT videos- good solid information. I leave for my Camino in a month 👣
If you get a blister, you give it first aid (betadine and a dressing). And if you want it to not hurt and indeed heal while you continue to walk, you put in place the best prevention for that particular blister area, because the prevention is what stops the blister-causing forces. Engo patches are great, but they aren't applicable to every blister (eg: pinch blisters and blisters between toes, because there's no part of the shoe to stick them to). That's why I advise on blisters according to their site, not just blisters as a single entity - you'll see articles on my website on all the different areas of your foot. At the very least, become informed about any blister or hotspot area that has ever bothered you before (eg: under big toe, back of heel, or under toenail), and make sure you've got the best preventions in place - ideally before you even start, because too many people ignore the hotspot stage until it's too late. All the best - have a great time out there :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

@Rebecca Rushton
Great information-I picked up 2 packs of Engo patches. What else would you suggest I have with me…. In case -I do develop a Blister? I watched several of your YT videos- good solid information. I leave for my Camino in a month
If you get a blister, you give it first aid (betadine and a dressing). And if you want it to not hurt and indeed heal while you continue to walk, you put in place the best prevention for that particular blister area, because the prevention is what stops the blister-causing forces. Engo patches are great, but they aren't applicable to every blister (eg: pinch blisters and blisters between toes, because there's no part of the shoe to stick them to). That's why I advise on blisters according to their site, not just blisters as a single entity - you'll see articles on my website on all the different areas of your foot. At the very least, become informed about any blister or hotspot area that has ever bothered you before (eg: under big toe, back of heel, or under toenail), and make sure you've got the best preventions in place - ideally before you even start, because too many people ignore the hotspot stage until it's too late. All the best - have a great time out there :)
Thank you.
I've got the callous .. is it meta tarsal spot #1 and #2 -(ball of the foot?)-everywhere else is fine… now that I understand how “Shearing” works.. I’ll put the Engo patches on those two spots in my shoes.. -yes— it’s all about preventing first… I walk about 8-10 miles… and no other “hot spots “ developing 🤞

Love my goretex hiking boots, and have never had a blister on 5 Caminos. Why? Because I double sock but with nylons under my socks. Just cheap, nylon knee highs. Turn both inside out so the seams do not rub.
What works for one person does not always work for the next one. Met a woman who used diaper cream with zink oxide and had no blisters? Will it work for you? Maybe. I really don't want the weight of vaseline in my pack and the idea of trying to hand wash socks filled with vaseline is kind of off-putting.

I have not needed to treat blisters for many years, but a hydro-colloidal dressing should only be put on an already de-roofed blister or other open wound and not removed until it falls off. Use a flexible tape like fixomull over the dressing to keep socks from pulling the edges away from the skin, when one risks pulling the dressing off prematurely when one removes one's socks.
Definitely- hydro-colloidal dressings are very sophisticated scientific/lab created dressings. My family and I have used very successfully for years. (two daughters, rubbish fitting shoes!!) However in Ponferrada when I went to the hospital to have a different problem attended to, the nurse tried very hard! and insistently ++ to take off the compeed (which was, as it was designed to, holding firm). If removed forcibly it will badly tear the skin. She told me that this was their standard way of 'managing' compeed. (fortunately for me, I know a bit about wound care and I also speak Spanish; and was not about to be pushed into having it ripped from my foot!). Patience and waiting for it to fall off when the hydro-colloidal senses the wound is fully healed - smart dressings!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nope. Blisters are not part of my Camino experience, and they can be avoided if hot spots are attended to right away.
If not part of the Camino experience, why then is it such a common topic?

If not part of the Camino experience, why then is it such a common topic?
Because too many people don't listen to their feet when they get hot spots! A hot spot does not have to turn into a blister if you take care of your feet at the first signs.

Also, too many people don't go on long walks on consecutive days to identify their trouble spots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hydrocolloids are designed to interact with an open wound to accelerate healing. If there's no open wound, its main modus operandi is unused. However, it will spread shear load and cushion a little as secondary effects.
But it's a pretty expensive solution. Lambswool, moleskin, etc. will cushion without the high cost.

I tried all the remedies: Vaseline, glide, powder, sock liners, tape, different shoes, sandals, different socks, etc... I got blisters under blisters 3-5 deep. Finally had to go to the hospital to Lance & clean. I stayed off my feet for 3 days to heal, then I had to walk slower & shorter distances, as my blisters healed. My blisters start forming at around the 10 mile mark at a normal walking speed of around 3.0 - 3.5. But if I slow down my stride, rest, etc...no blisters.

My go to is Injinji toe socks. Never had a blister despite piling on the miles and being very overweight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After trying blister prevention advise over several caminos, with marginal success, I found Rebecca's advice and videos on blister prevention to be the best. Wish I had found them two years earlier!

Prevention starts with understanding precisely what blisters are and what causes them. Taking a few minutes to pay close attention to Rebecca's excellent experience, generous advice and videos will save you a great deal of time. It's also an excellent site to purchase things like ENGO blister patches (which is not always easy or inexpensive from outside the USA).

Each person's situation is slightly different, so putting a little effort into research, trial/error and realistic testing (training) is required.

Thanks again Rebecca

PS: I wish that people who don't use Compeed properly would stop bad mouthing that excellent product too.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is lots of advice out there regarding treatment of blisters and the prevention of blisters.
Some good, some bad. You need to find what works for you.

I prefer to avoid blisters altogether.
No blisters yet in 3,000 kms on Camino.......
It's not hard.
Take care of your feet.
Vaseline, hikers wool, treat hot spots, double sock regime, air the feet, do sock changes.......
Yes it takes a bit of effort. But I'd prefer that to blisters. :rolleyes:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And stopping every couple of hours and taking off your shoes and socks, letting your feet rest and cool off, and rinsing and drying them. And changing to fresh dry socks if the ones you were wearing are wet from sweat or water.
I am for the dry method:
Stop every hour, on the hour, change socks, massage your feet, cool off, ventilate boots/shoes by taking out insoles.
Damp socks will now dry out in the gallow nooses on the outside of your rucksack, dangling in the wind.
Fresh socks out and replace...
This is how you evacuate excess humidity from your footwear, hence GTX is a bad thing IMHO...
You need to bring three pairs of (woolen) socks, you are now changing btw no 1 and 2 pair of your socks for the rest of the day, the third was washed last night in the albergue and usually not quite dry next morning, so.....
This third pair is dangling from your rucksack the the first hour while the sun is rising, to be replaced by socks no 1 after first hour of walking hour...
You now have a three part shift
See!?

My father used to ask, “why do people complicate their lives?” For me it’s know your feet, know your boots and tape those vulnerable spots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a bit of a weird gait which predisposes me to a few blisters so I use sports tape or K-tape (preferably the latter) on top of those areas, put bodyglide over everything and wear Injinji socks with preferably breathable trails hoes. I keep my fluids up. If I feel anything weird I check my feet.

Pay attention to your feet as you walk. As soon as you start to feel a warm spot, stop immediately, remove your shoes and socks and inspect the spot. If it’s just a little warm, I slap some NexCare tape on it. However, if it’s red and hot but has not blistered, that’s when to use Compeed. Do not wait for it to start to hurt because, as I learned from experience, then it’s too late. Having stated the above, this is what has worked for me. Much depends on the individual.
100% agree with your assessment ..I got two minor blisters on my first camino...11 Caminos later doing exactly what you say I haven't had a blister since...even if I'm 1/2 a kilometer from a village ...if I have a hot spot I stop immediately and take off my shoes and socks....wait a bit and put dry socks on....what feels better than that on a camino...fresh new dry socks!!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.