• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

My (temporary) cure for the Camino Blues

LesR

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
Yes - it has been 18 months since my last Camino, and another is well overdue..... (thanks COVID19)

I know that now is not the right time to start mixing with citizens from many parts of the world andfor passing through many small Spanish communities (with many people who will be especially vulnerable to the ravages of COVID19).

However I have managed to find myself a small diversion - home grown Pimientos de Padrón...

Been trickier to grow that I had hoped for, and hopefully this will not be my last harvest from my dozen plants...

Sigh....

Attachments

• 150824496_877804863075372_235618031579648328_n.jpg
    150824496_877804863075372_235618031579648328_n.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 151589754_766770187587117_2102521092974790506_n.jpg
    151589754_766770187587117_2102521092974790506_n.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Maps
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Yes - it has been 18 months since my last Camino, and another is well overdue..... (thanks COVID19)

I know that now is not the right time to start mixing with citizens from many parts of the world andfor passing through many small Spanish communities (with many people who will be especially vulnerable to the ravages of COVID19).

However I have managed to find myself a small diversion - home grown Pimientos de Padrón...

Been trickier to grow that I had hoped for, and hopefully this will not be my last harvest from my dozen plants...

Sigh....

Well done.

I am trying to grow some now.

About 10" high so far.

lindam

Frances, VDLP, Invierno, Portuguese, Madrid, Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan/Aragones/Loyola Norte
One of my favourite discoveries on my first Camino (while still living in Canada)! It was love at first bite. They are a regular feature in my Spanish kitchen when in season here.

Nice job you have done propogating these beauties.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps

Arn

Veteran Member
I am impatient with many things and growing things I like to eat is painful in the waiting. That said, I do love to eat wild veggies (asparagus), dandelions, stinging nettles, ramps, berries, crab apples, etc. They all can be found in the surrounding acres of my farm. Also, the really cool part is they only appear a certain times a year. Thus, I don't over indulge just because of the taste, or availability.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I do love to eat wild veggies (asparagus), dandelions, stinging nettles, ramps, berries, crab apples, etc.
I have heard of eating dandelion leaves. I picked some large beauties last spring to "try". I ended up pitching them before cooking, afraid I'd be disappointed.
As for stinging nettles, I hate their sting. I assume they get neutralized in cooking, but glives definitely needed for picking.
Are either of these plentiful greens really worth the effort, Arn?

Dee Langton

2002 2013 - 2017

Sigh....
They look so good!

Arn

Veteran Member
I have heard of eating dandelion leaves. I picked some large beauties last spring to "try". I ended up pitching them before cooking, afraid I'd be disappointed.
As for stinging nettles, I hate their sting. I assume they get neutralized in cooking, but glives definitely needed for picking.
Are either of these plentiful greens really worth the effort, Arn?
Oh yes, Stinging nettle ointments are often used to ease osteoarthritis symptoms. The dried leaves and flowers can be steeped to make a delicious herbal tea, while its leaves, stem and roots can be cooked and added to soups, stews, smoothies and stir-frys. Dandelion is great in a salad (though bitter) and dandelion wine is something my father made on occasion. If you use part of the flower is curbs the natural sweetness of just the leaves.

witsendwv

(2015)

Sigh....
It won't be spring here for another month, but I have three seedlings and another seven seeds just starting to make their way out of the dirt. I hopefully will have peppers earlier than later. 😊 🌶️

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Leap of faith

Frances(2012), Frances(2017), Frances (June 2018)

Sigh....
Good suggestion! I certainly have the Camino blues!

LesR

Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
Memo to self:

pick the pimentoes early, and don’t wait until there is a plateful....

the lot in the pics attached to my initial post were hot!!!