• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mystery Ranch Packs

ClaytonR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Pimitivo
Looking through the Equipment postings and I realized that there are very few mentions of my favorite packs, Mystery Ranch. I currently own and love a couple of their packs, The Scree 32L and the Coulee 25L. I'm planning on using the Scree on my first Camino. Mystery Ranch packs are very well made, well designed, and comfortable. I fully expect mine to last for decades.

My favorite feature of the Scree and and Coulee is the 3 zipper access, which makes accessing the pack contents incredibly easy. It also has great adjustable yoke system that makes pack fitting a cinch. If you're looking for pack maybe add them to your list?

https://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-pack

Scree.PNG919C29F5-748B-4DFC-B4AB-C6C640032303.jpeg

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Looking through the Equipment postings and I realized that there are very few mentions of my favorite packs, Mystery Ranch. I currently own and love a couple of their packs, The Scree 32L and the Coulee 25L. I'm planning on using the Scree on my first Camino. Mystery Ranch packs are very well made, well designed, and comfortable. I fully expect mine to last for decades.

My favorite feature of the Scree and and Coulee is the 3 zipper access, which makes accessing the pack contents incredibly easy. It also has great adjustable yoke system that makes pack fitting a cinch. If you're looking for pack maybe add them to your list?

I've loved Mystery Ranch backpacks from when it used to be Dana Designs. Dana Gleason started both companies, but sold the Dana Designs brand to some other corporation. They are extraordinarily comfortable and durable. My Dana Designs AstralPlane is still in my gear closet. Like Dana Designs, Mystery Ranch backpacks, in my mind, set a standard of design, utility, and comfort that I have used when comparing other manufacturers products.

I shifted from the DD/MR backpacks when I was looking to decrease overall total weight. The AstralPlane weighed just over 6 pounds/2.72 Kg. Most of that was due to the heavy, coated nylon denier materials for the bag and harness/hipbelts. Plus, the AstralPlane was a huge, expeditionary sized backpack that I found was much larger than I was starting to need (130 liters. Yup, it is huge).

The Scree will be a great choice for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
130L is HUGE! Ha ha. I think my Scree is 3.5lbs, but I'm definitely not in the "shaving grams" club. I have been known to throw extra weight in my pack on purpose. I'm want to increase my endurance over time. Nuts, I know...

I had my eye on a MR Scree 32 for a while but ended up (semi-ironically enough) going with an REI Trail 40 for my own walk - partly due to its four-zipper access to the main compartment, and partly because I needed something a little bigger since I will be doing some post-Camino traveling across the pond (OK, having some REI member rebate credit in my account probably factored in as well). But it's still on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing these photos - looking forward to hearing more about how it works for you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could fit an entire person in a pack that large!

Needed it for summiting on mountaineering expeditions :) Then I just used it when doing multi-week backpacking when I was college poor but young and strong.

130L is HUGE! Ha ha. I think my Scree is 3.5lbs, but I'm definitely not in the "shaving grams" club. I have been known to throw extra weight in my pack on purpose. I'm want to increase my endurance over time. Nuts, I know...

Yup, it could contain all the mountaineering soft gear I would use on climbing expeditions. Definitely cavernous for regular backpacking :) But, when you don't have tons of money and love backpacking and are young and strong, I just made do, and the comfort of the DD pack made it work. Lot's of tightening on the exterior compression straps, though.

The 32L Scree is under 3 pounds, which is on par with some other similar sized offerings from Osprey and others. My current backpack, a Gossamer Gear Silverback - - replaced with a newer model of Gorilla - - weighs under 2 pounds/908 Kg and can carry, with the extension collar up, a bit over 50 liters. That is what I now use backpacking and on camino.

My backpack base weight on camino is between 7 and 8 pounds/ 3.2 to 3.7 Kg . It varies depending on camino, and the load takes up, loosely packed, about 1/2 the space.

Unfortunately, a lot of people only shop at REI (or equivalent in other countries), and never know about some of these other great backpacks.

I have a new Gregory pack that I bought direct from Gregory because it was a model that REI didn't sell.
@trecile: What is the model? Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
when you don't have tons of money and love backpacking and are young and strong, I just made do,
I met a young man on a backpacking route in Banff National Park a few years ago. He was weighed down with an incredible load of largely unidentifiable gear. I would guess that about half was out of the family garage and the rest Army Surplus: the whole lot extremely bulky and precariously attached to him. We had a wonderful chat, as he shared the various backcountry routes which he had been walking, most of which I had walked at one time or another. I wondered how he could carry enough food for such a journey. Now I am planning a long route in France/Spain, with comforts and food available. I miss the long backcountry trails.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Unfortunately, a lot of people only shop at REI (or equivalent in other countries), and never know about some of these other great backpacks.
REI sells Mystery Packs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 122186View attachment 122188
Personally, I'm into lightweight backpacks. Have the urban assault 24, even though it's super comfy I just find it has too much padding and mesh. When I did the Camino I used the talon 30 something. Been buying various backpacks to try out for my next Camino and the one that just feels right is the Patagonia altvia 36L. Under 1kg, very minimalist, included rain cover and the S/M size just feels perfect for my body. I'm 173 cm. I've learned after 2 Caminos with 300km plus each that the less the weight the more the joy. Every gram counts :)

My point is, that lots of people don't look past what their local REI or other outdoor retailer has to offer, and are limited to what the store's buyer thought would sell best that season. There are a lot more options available if you don't limit yourself to purchasing from one store.

It looks like a nice pack. A bit heavier than my Osprey 36. The REI in Washington DC has them in stock and would perhaps ship to their other stores. Having lived for years in a place where I could not find lightweight backpacks and got burned too many times by ordering on-line - I always try them on before buying unless the return process/cost is super-easy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I have a new Gregory pack that I bought direct from Gregory because it was a model that REI didn't sell.
Sadly eons ago someone posted on the internet that Osprey was the best pack for the Camino. Since then the vast majority carry this pack. When I walked the CF in 2015 my walking partner and I would play a game that we dubbed "spot the Osprey" There were almost too many to count.
The same applied to a well known brand of poncho. As soon as a shower of rain came, out came this poncho.
My back-pack for my last two caminos came from Aldi and it will do me again for trhe next one.

Yes. Osprey is popular. Especially with women. As the fit is often better than others although not for everyone. I'm short and short torso and after trying several other brands with limited success or outright failure - I stick with what I know works. 😊 I own 4 Osprey packs of different sizes for different uses from dayhiking to full on wilderness backpacking requiring carrying up to 10 days of food and gear. Fit and comfort is worth the $$ in my opinion.

Personally, I'm into lightweight backpacks. Have the urban assault 24, even though it's super comfy I just find it has too much padding and mesh. When I did the Camino I used the talon 30 something. Been buying various backpacks to try out for my next Camino and the one that just feels right is the Patagonia altvia 36L. Under 1kg, very minimalist, included rain cover and the S/M size just feels perfect for my body. I'm 173 cm. I've learned after 2 Caminos with 300km plus each that the less the weight the more the joy. Every gram counts :)
My preference with walks of this nature will be for a pack that's common - a pack that I can get onto Amazon and have it delivered anywhere on the routes in the next week. Why? - in case of loss of pack for any reason - I would want a replacement - exactly the same. Same pack, same gear that was in it. What have I lost? - a few days, no more. When the replacements come - no testing, no new tricks - just back in business. Do all the research and choosing before. I would treat smaller walks with a different philosophy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recently purchased two packs for a personal pack competition, an Arc'Tereyx Aerios and a Six Moon Designs Swift X. I loaded each in turn with my Camino base (including a CPAP machine and heat moisture exchangers/filters) and walked each with one in turn. I did this twice. The Six Moon Designs Swift X won while the Arc'Tereyx will be returned.

Phil

Last edited:
Well, after praising Mystery Ranch Packs I just ordered a Gossamer G4-20. After doing some pondering I realized that a 3.5lb pack is fine for weekend trips, but when looking at 28 days of hiking a couple pounds of weight savings probably means a lot more. Besides, I wanted to buy some new gear. Haha! Looking forward to getting this thing on the trail.

gossamer-gear-gossamer-gear-g4-20-42l-ultralight-p.png

A good move ; ) Any direction towards light and simple makes a big difference. For the Frances I went with Black Diamond's Fastpack Distance 15L (made for trail running). This isn't a hike and it's not backpacking - it's a long distance walk : )

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, after praising Mystery Ranch Packs I just ordered a Gossamer G4-20. After doing some pondering I realized that a 3.5lb pack is fine for weekend trips, but when looking at 28 days of hiking a couple pounds of weight savings probably means a lot more. Besides, I wanted to buy some new gear. Haha! Looking forward to getting this thing on the trail.

View attachment 122571
I think you made a great choice, looks like a sweet pack . I almost pulled the trigger on a gossamer gear kumo

I’m fortunate enough to own a bunch of packs but one of the packs I own is a mystery ranch Sphinx 60 probably my only piece of gear i own that isn’t ultra light.. that pack alone is 4 lbs it’s a great pack and can be used for a thruhike but I never would .

I’ll be starting the Camino Frances in May 2023 with a Zpacks Nero

Gossamer G4-20

Slightly envious of the "removable molded cushy sitpad" mentioned in the pack features on the Gossamer G4-20 product page – partly because such a pad seems like it could come in handy, partly because saying the phrase "removable molded cushy sitpad" is fun and I won't be able to with my REI Trail 40 ☹️
Enjoy and Buen Camino to you!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Slightly envious of the "removable molded cushy sitpad" mentioned in the pack features on the Gossamer G4-20 product page – partly because such a pad seems like it could come in handy, partly because saying the phrase "removable molded cushy sitpad" is fun and I won't be able to with my REI Trail 40 ☹️
Enjoy and Buen Camino to you!
One of the reasons I settled on this pack was the removable back rest. I like some structure in my pack and I will likely do some customization to stiffen the pack up a bit. GG Also has some alternate back pads that are supposed to provide better ventilation.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.