• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with a new sleeping bag

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have a snugpak 850 that I bought in 2000 before my first camino. Despite its sentimental value, it is ripped in some places and ragged in most places. I would probably use it again this year, but I can't find it. :confused: So it seems like a good time to buy a new one.

I see that snugpak is still selling the 850 gram bag, but it's now called Travelpak 1. But the world of lightweight sleeping bags has transmogrified since I was last in the market, and the options are endless.

Should I stick with the snugpak? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHK007I/?tag=casaivar02-20. Or are there better options? I don't want to go over a kilo, the lighter the better. I am a "friolera" (always cold) but I don't mind wearing my fleece and my pants to bed, and I only walk in spring/summer.

Thanks everyone! Buen camino, Laurie

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a snugpak 850 that I bought in 2000 before my first camino. Despite its sentimental value, it is ripped in some places and ragged in most places. I would probably use it again this year, but I can't find it. :confused: So it seems like a good time to buy a new one.

I see that snugpak is still selling the 850 gram bag, but it's now called Travelpak 1. But the world of lightweight sleeping bags has transmogrified since I was last in the market, and the options are endless.

Should I stick with the snugpak? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHK007I/?tag=casaivar02-20. Or are there better options? I don't want to go over a kilo, the lighter the better. I am a "friolera" (always cold) but I don't mind wearing my fleece and my pants to bed, and I only walk in spring/summer.

Hi Laurie,

Hope you are well and getting ready for another journey! I have taken a quilt and my coccoon silk liner on both Caminos that I've done, with absolutely no regrets. It's extremely extremely light and it keeps you very warm and cozy, I have never been cold. I absolutely love it!!! I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack without any problem. Did I mention it's very light? One more reason to consider it:)
Here is a link for the quilt. They have made to order with a variety of fills and colors, mine is an 850 and 50˚F. And if you are a friolera, choose the degree that best suits you, you'll find what you need, no doubt!:) Check these out, I think you'll like the choices:

http://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/

Ultreïa!

Mary

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This year on the VDLP I used this synthetic fill bag rated to 7C, knowing it was not warm enough on cold nights. Otherwise it is a nice roomy bag, weighing 950 g, and I really like the rectangular shape. Previously I had cut the sleeves off a down puff jacket to wear for warmth in the evenings, so I sewed the opened-out sleeves together to make a little lap blanket (only about 2 ft x 3 ft in size). I found this very effective on cold nights - wearing a sleeveless down vest (not overwhelmingly hot), and placing the little blanket over my hips and legs inside the bag. If I got too warm at night I just pushed them down to the bottom inside the bag, which was big enough for them and my legs to stretch out.

This arrangement worked so well that I realized I didn't need much insulation on the bottom (since we always have mattresses in albergues) and maybe I will cut out some of the bottom of the bag and replace with a single layer of fabric - the main purpose would be to reduce the unnecessary bulk.

So if I were in the market for a new bag now, I would consider one of the summer sleeping bags with no insulation on one side (for example this one weighing about 576 g, and use my down vest and a small down quilt inside.

I think "friolenta" is the word you're looking for. Maybe the other works in Spain, but it sounds like a pejorative term here for a Mexican. :)

Sorry, can't help with the bag. I use a Costco down throw that I sewed along the long edge to two meters of washable silk. I think it's around a lb. Works for me because I don't like feeling like I'm sleeping in a strait jacket. I also like wrapping the throw around me after showering when my body goes into the cool down cycle.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If weight is a concern, shoot for 500g. I purchsed a North Face Lynx and it is the fine combination of weight, warmth and price, but what they sell now under this name is close to 2 lb or 1 kg. And for Spring / Summer, you do not need a 35 degree bag. Hope this helps.

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This year on the VDLP I used this synthetic fill bag rated to 7C, knowing it was not warm enough on cold nights. Otherwise it is a nice roomy bag, weighing 950 g, and I really like the rectangular shape. Previously I had cut the sleeves off a down puff jacket to wear for warmth in the evenings, so I sewed the opened-out sleeves together to make a little lap blanket (only about 2 ft x 3 ft in size). I found this very effective on cold nights - wearing a sleeveless down vest (not overwhelmingly hot), and placing the little blanket over my hips and legs inside the bag. If I got too warm at night I just pushed them down to the bottom inside the bag, which was big enough for them and my legs to stretch out.

This arrangement worked so well that I realized I didn't need much insulation on the bottom (since we always have mattresses in albergues) and maybe I will cut out some of the bottom of the bag and replace with a single layer of fabric - the main purpose would be to reduce the unnecessary bulk.

So if I were in the market for a new bag now, I would consider one of the summer sleeping bags with no insulation on one side (for example this one weighing about 576 g, and use my down vest and a small down quilt inside.

Ok, you don't have to show off just because you're an engineer. :p I am happy to say I finally understand what you did with your puff down jacket. You must be a very still sleeper, @C clearly, because that little blanket would be down by my feet after about an hour. But I am totally impressed with your ingenuity, it ranks right up there with Maggie's rain cape.

Are you in transit or home already?

Loved my silk Sea to Summit liner with Costco duvet throw combo, held together with snap bottons.

If not, these are some that have caught my attention:

http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Traveller+Tr+I&o1=0&o2=0&o3=071RL

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/extremelite-series/everlite/

Yes, I remember that Costco idea, but unfortunately I am no where near one. Maybe someone could start a little Etsy business sewing snaps on these throws.

I hadn't seen either the sea to summit or the WME bags, so they are now on my list, thanks Anemone!

Yes, I remember that Costco idea, but unfortunately I am no where near one. Maybe someone could start a little Etsy business sewing snaps on these throws.

I hadn't seen either the sea to summit of the WME bags, so they are now on my list, thanks Anemone!
Laurie, they have them on sale on their website: 2 for 40$. I looked kt up for a few people a few weeks ago for people on VDLP. One could pay for a whole Camino selling these along the way.

https://www.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html

WME?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Laurie,

Hope you are well and getting ready for another journey! I have taken a quilt and my coccoon silk liner on both Caminos that I've done, with absolutely no regrets. It's extremely extremely light and it keeps you very warm and cozy, I have never been cold. I absolutely love it!!! I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack without any problem. Did I mention it's very light? One more reason to consider it:)
Here is a link for the quilt. They have made to order with a variety of fills and colors, mine is an 850 and 50˚F. And if you are a friolera, choose the degree that best suits you, you'll find what you need, no doubt!:) Check these out, I think you'll like the choices:

http://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/

Ultreïa!

Mary

Thanks, Mary, it's been a long time! This is quite the impressive little bag, but it looks like it wouldn't get to me before I leave. If I decide to use my husband's discarded 25 oz REI bag that I found while I was looking for mine, I may reconsider this after the Camino. The price tag is much higher than the others I've seen. Is yours down? I have always heard that I should avoid down, but I think that's only because of what happens when it gets wet. And in all my caminos, I don't think my sleeping bag has ever gotten wet!

You must be a very still sleeper, @C clearly, because that little blanket would be down by my feet after about an hour.

Are you in transit or home already?
In fact I usually find that it is mainly the first hour when I need it.

I am home already. No hanging around and sightseeing this year, because I used all my time to walk further than I had expected.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There was a typo in there, I was referring to the Western Mountain Engineering bag you also linked to. :)
Sea to Summit Traveller 1 crunches up super small. Then the one I did see, the Western Mountainerring. The Enlightened ones look great, but the price!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have and use the Sea to Summit Traveler I. It is a good lightweight bag. In early September (a few years ago) it was more than I needed on the Francés and not nearly enough in October in Galicia when there were not enough pilgrims to help heat the room. It was also much cheaper when I bought it. Good luck with your decision.

I bought my 250g sleeping bag in chino store and it says it's comfortable from 10C and above which is more than enough for spring/summer. But then again I'm no "friolero" ;) Anyway I usually use it just as a blanket.
It costed me 7,99€ o_O:D

But then again I'm no "friolero" ;) Anyway I usually use it just as a blanket.
It costed me 7,99€ o_O:D
So... what do you ise as a base when you use it just as a blanket? Or do you mean you also use a liner and use it on top.

I have to say, on VDLP just now, 80% of albergues have beds fully made up with clean sheets, duvets and pillowcases. So nice. First signs of this practice I saw was on the Norte. Guess it decreases the risk of beg bugs and ends up costing less than treating a house?

Only places that did not were the muni in Merida and in a tiny village with the disco next door. Most other places had beds already done, and if they did not they would give you clean sheets to make your bed.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I also recommend the enlightened quilt. Fwiw I live in MN so I went by the factory in Winona and checked them out. Great people making custom quilts as I watched.
I am on the Camino France now and am really happy with my quilt.

So... what do you ise as a base when you use it just as a blanket? Or do you mean you also use a liner and use it on top.
No, I don't use a liner or blanket (bedbugs :eek:). In most cases hospitalera/os gave me disposable sheets and I just covered my waist with sleeping bag even when very hot during the night. Just a habit I guess. In other cases I sleep with my sleeping bag completely un-zipped, sleeping on one half and being covered with the other one.

No, I don't use a liner or blanket (bedbugs :eek:). In most cases hospitalera/os gave me disposable sheets and I just covered my waist with sleeping bag even when very hot during the night. Just a habit I guess. In other cases I sleep with my sleeping bag completely un-zipped, sleeping on one half and being covered with the other one.
Agreed. I don't like the idea of sleeping on top of used sheet. Which is why I always use a liner.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you buy yours from the costco.com or were they on costco.ca at some time? I have never ordered from costco, but have kids who are members.
I just picked all of them (I think I have 5! That is how much I like them) at the store. I have never ordered online.

I think "friolenta" is the word you're looking for. Maybe the other works in Spain, but it's a pejorative term here for a Mexican. :)

Sorry, can't help with the bag. I use a Costco down throw that I sewed along the long edge to two meters of washable silk. I think it's around a lb. Works for me because I don't like feeling like I'm sleeping in a strait jacket. I also like wrapping the throw around me after showering when my body goes into the cool down cycle.

Hi BShea,

In Spain it's actually friolera:) Check it out: http://dle.rae.es/?id=IUuhxcN

Ultreïa!

Thanks, Mary, it's been a long time! This is quite the impressive little bag, but it looks like it wouldn't get to me before I leave. If I decide to use my husband's discarded 25 oz REI bag that I found while I was looking for mine, I may reconsider this after the Camino. The price tag is much higher than the others I've seen. Is yours down? I have always heard that I should avoid down, but I think that's only because of what happens when it gets wet. And in all my caminos, I don't think my sleeping bag has ever gotten wet!

Yes, Laurie, it has been a long time, but I always enjoy reading your reports and advice you give. You are a font of information and we are so lucky to benefit from your knowledge through this forum!
Yes, my quilt is down, and like you, my sleeping quilt has never gotten wet, even when I backpack in wet conditions! In the bottom of my pack I have a Sea to Summit liner I use it for all my gear, including my quilt:) Never ever had anything get soggy, other than a tent which I keep in a separate permeable stuff sack away from the dry gear.
What camino will you be doing this time Laurie and when are you leaving? The company also has products "on the shelf" that can reach you much sooner:)

Ultreïa and Buen Camino Laurie!

Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi BShea,

In Spain it's actually friolera:) Check it out: http://dle.rae.es/?id=IUuhxcN

Ultreïa!
So, according to the Boss, aside from the fact that friolento is the word they use here, I should avoid the other word because of my accent. I guess it's like my French friend who says seashore and linens instead of beach and sheet. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt, which I absolutely love. It's super-light and since they are custom-made, it's exactly the right length and width for me. I've used it on the Camino with a silk liner, which has worked perfectly. it squashes into a small dry bag and doesn't take up too much room in my backpack. And it feels lovely, like a favourite comfort blanket.

HOWEVER - on reflection, I can't help wondering if it's 'too good' and much too expensive for a Camino. Specifically, if I came in contact with bedbugs, I'm not sure how the hot machine washing and drying would work out - it goes against all of the laundering instructions and could destroy the quilt. I might have been better off with less of an 'investment buy' ...... especially since it's the only item of equipment that I don't often use when not on a Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have had a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite for many years, and do not expect to buy another. I did consider the WM Highlite, but opted for a quilt for warmer weather. I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40° quilt. I use it in my hammock and plan on taking it on my camino. The quilt has a zipper and bungee cord that can form a foot box like a sleeping bag if you get cold. In practical terms, I do not see much difference in the protection (dry bag) that would be used for storing your sleeping bag when hiking or backpacking. Down will be absolutely useless if it does get wet, but I don't want to sleep in a wet synthetic bag either. I have had my WM bag on multiple 2 week canoeing trips in Quetico. The WM bag is in a dry bag, which is in a Granite Gear Pack lined with a pack liner from Duluth Pack. The pack has sat in bilge water in an all day rain and has remained bone dry when we setup camp.

Hi Laurie- I have the the little Sea to Summit bag. I was cold sometimes - especially in ancient buildings in France - and also used blankets and wore warm clothes to bed. But most of the time it was perfect. It packs up very small and the fabric feels nice. I also carried a silk liner and sometimes used the bag as a blanket.
Mary Louise

So, according to the Boss, aside from the fact that friolento is the word they use here, I should avoid the other word because of my accent. I guess it's like my French friend who says seashore and linens instead of beach and sheet. :)
LOL! I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine with your vocabulary! No need to change at all:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, it's both. Oh the horor!
Well, yes, you can use both:) I wouldn't say "¡Qué horror!" because you'll get along just fine with either! Spanish has such rich vocabulary and no matter what Spanish speaking country you're in, you'll always learn new variances of so many words!

Ultreïa!

I donated my Snugpak (850 g) and Altus (660 g) bags last summer as they were surplus to needs. However, recently, I obtained a new Sea to Summit "Traveller 1 TR" treated down bag. It weighs in at about 480 grams for the large size, and only 389 grams for the regular size. It packs VERY small. It comes with a compression sack for travel, and a really nifty "lofting" bag to store it on a shelf in a closet in a semi-fluffy condition.

It was not cheap, but I was able to get it from REI on sale, and applied my member points from last year, to save about $100 USD on it. That made it a good value.

Here is the direct link: https://www.rei.com/product/866775/sea-to-summit-traveller-tr-i-sleeping-bag

It is a semi-rectangular design with an open foot and top. The zip is full separating so the bag can be used as a quilt. The down is specially treated and is encapsulated with some synthetic substance that renders the down non-allergenic, at least to me. It also makes the down bag machine washable. These features address all the to-date shortcomings that prevented me from buying a down sleeping bag. So, I shall try this.

I am a warm sleeper, I need a cooler sleeping arrangement. So the open ends do not bother me. I too, adjust temperatures by wearing additional clothing as needs must.

This said, the S2S Traveller was bought against future needs. I will not be taking it to Lisbon on Tuesday. I will be relying on me rectangular Alps Mountaineering micro-fiber liner, with the full separating zip. At less than USD 30. this is an excellent solution for a warmer weather Camino.

I hope this helps.

There is a whole bunch of new "better" sleeping bags all the time, at all different prize, material, size and cost ranges.

I´m so in love with my bag so I´m pretty sure I´ll buy the same if and when I need to replace it. This is my bag.. https://www.pickpack.se/bo-sova/lattviktssovsackar/lattviktssovsack-snugpak-travelpak-traveller. I have a silk liner and my sleeping bag can be opened up so I can adapt it for different needs.

I like the sleeping bag that @C clearly linked to: https://www.hotcoreproducts.com/products/sleeping-bags/cooper-r-7/.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A work colleague goes hammock camping and uses a Costco/Double Black Diamond throw as an overquilt. She uses plastic snaps to clip it together like this
and says it keeps her "toasty warm" out of doors in an English summer - mind you she's a roughtie-toughtie engineer ;) I think it could work in a refugio OK though 70 inches might be a bit short for me.

A work colleague goes hammock camping and uses a Costco/Double Black Diamond throw as an overquilt. She uses plastic snaps to clip it together like this
and says it keeps her "toasty warm" out of doors in an English summer - mind you she's a roughtie-toughtie engineer ;) I think it could work in a refugio OK though 70 inches might be a bit short for me.

Didn't expect the YouTube movie to pop up like that - sorry!

That's what I've done with my Costco throw except ...

Instead of snaps for the toenax I have a cord I can tighten, like those on hoods. This way there are no gaps as you would get with snaps.

Also, for the snaps, because the throw is made with such a light (delicate) material, I reonforced it with a saquare of thicker material where each snap is. This prevents the snaps from pulling through the material.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi , this may be one too many suggestions but I have loved my 723gm regular length (good for up to 6feet, I think) REI Helio down sleeping bag. It is very adjustable with feet out, arms out, etc. if wanted, and one can walk around in it. It costs $135, much cheaper than the lighter sea to summit and it washes beautifully in a machine. Also dried well in a machine, a couple of tennis balls added.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I am a little overwhelmed and realize I will have to spend some time on this. Given that I have two weeks left before departure, I am going to put this off for now. Luckily, my husband's old bag in the closet will do the trick for this year's camino, and I will come back to this thread when I am ready to get serious about it. I really appreciate all the suggestions, I want to buy a good one. Since the one I can't find lasted me for 17 years, if I get the same life out of the new one I won't need a replacement till I'm 83. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.