• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with hiking poles

peregrina2000

Staff member
Santa wants to bring me a new set of hiking poles. My Leki Makalu poles are 15 years old and I don't think it's worth it to replace the metal tip. The cork handles are pretty yukky. Anyway, I started to search for poles and found there is now such a huge variety that it is almost paralyzing.

I've read good things about the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon or Leki Micro Vario Carbon (really, you need four words to name your product?) But I'd be interested in knowing what the differences are among all these many different options and what the advantages and disadvantages are.

In particular, I've seen some mention of ergonomic features and shock absorption. No clue how those affect the pole. Thanks, experts! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
peregrina, Funny thing: This year I went from 15 year old Leki Makalu poles to new Black Diamond carbon poles, the ultra distance Z Poles. These BDs are fixed length with ergonomically cut handles (though not as much angle as the Makalu's) and no shock absorption. Fixed lengths (made in three different lengths, I believe) are typically lighter. As are those poles without shock absorption mechanisms. I love these Z poles; they've already made it around Cerro Aconcagua and the length of the Camino Frances. They weight next to nothing and pack well on my Osprey pack when walking through a big city, or the like.
Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
you may consider to take look at pretty good review-comparison: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trekking-Poles-Reviews
perhaps you already have seen it, because both candidates you mentioned are the leaders there. they will be perfectly fine for your caminos and will serve many years. there are many factors of personal preference, like cork or rubber handles etc. I do not like shock absorbance, because of blunt response, but others may find it as very neat feature.
I go with leki corklite in mountains (very solid), with black diamond z-poles on easier tracks (because these are lighter). all my caminos (and everyday training mileage) i have nordic walked with these http://www.exelnordicwalking.com, but the proper technique is required. pacerpoles http://www.pacerpole.com are in its own class, and I believe one day I may go with them. just hope this day is still remote ...

Thanks for the help. I have looked at the outdoor gear lab reviews, but it leaves me with some questions, as do your posts.

First, I'm not going to try the nordic pole or pacer pole option at this point, because I like what I have had up till now.

I don't understand what the shock absorption feature is and why it would have a "blunt response" -- what does that mean?

I prefer adjustable length, at least I think I do -- isn't the fixed length much more limiting for up and downhill changes?

Making progress! Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I am n'the mot so proud owner of 3 pairs. Yes, always looking for the best next thing. o_O All three are carbon. The fisrt was the collapsable/hight ajustable. I did struggle at times with them, not being able to open or lock them in place, but that's because that was Camino 1 and I had little experience with all things walking. I then bought the Blac Diamnod Z something or other, because I would not have the ajusting issue and because they fold in 4 pieces and not just 3, which means they travel in my back pack.

Then I found this Forum. Oh my poor budget: Pacer poles, Macabi skirt, Merino, Buffs, really, people, my poor budget! o_O So I bought the Pacers for the Primitivo. They didn't fit in my original 34 litter bag (very heavy in comparisin with what is now on the market so I do not regret the newer Osprey I now have), but do in the new 44 litter back pack. I have no problem with ajusting these, guess I am now a Camino pro!

All this to say that other than not knowing how to ajust my first pair, and them being too long for my first back pack (travelled tapped to,the outside of my backpack in the hold) but would fit in thr new one (also bought to fit a sleeping bag), I see no difference in all these poles, including the Pacers. In fact, I would venture to say that if using the Pacers properly I would have to keep up with them at a much higher pace than I like. Guess that is why they are called "pacers"! I also did not find that ajusting to a particular length really made a difference. I am not about to staet shortening amd lengthening based on terrain.

If Santa wants to bring you kindly used "Camino experienced" poles he may want to stop and visit the elfes at my work shop :). I am inclined to sticking with my Diamond Back Z someing or other.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Thanks for the help. I have looked at the outdoor gear lab reviews, but it leaves me with some questions, as do your posts.

First, I'm not going to try the nordic pole or pacer pole option at this point, because I like what I have had up till now.

I don't understand what the shock absorption feature is and why it would have a "blunt response" -- what does that mean?

I prefer adjustable length, at least I think I do -- isn't the fixed length much more limiting for up and downhill changes?

Making progress! Laurie

well, shock absorption dampens the impact when the pole is landed on hard surface. basically it is a spring inside the pole. for instance going downhills and putting body weight on such pole you will feel that it compresses by a centimetre or so. I do not like this compression because it sends a wrong signal how safely the pole is landed. on the other hand such feature may be somehow more gentle for wrists and elbows.

Walking north from Porto along the coast is mostly wonderful new boardwalk. Nearing Vila do Conde, I tripped and fell on a loose board on an older section of boardwalk. Down I went! (PLOP!) Luckily no major harm done, but one of the aluminum poles bent as I fell on it. These poles were borrowed from my son. I'll be buying my own set (a Christmas present to myself) and decided, based on this experience, not to buy carbon poles due to its brittleness. Strength and light weight aside, I feel it would have snapped on my fall. The aluminum mostly straightened out. Don't want shocks. I've seen the outdoorgearlab site - very informative. Based on a recommendation from my son (who works at REI) I will get Leki Micro Vario Ti COR-TEC. Sometimes the "Z" poles do not adjust, but these are adjustable. A bonus is they will fit in the backpack easily for airline checking.

Attachments

• tn_20150517_154502.jpg
    tn_20150517_154502.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 18
My dad has a pair of Lekis with shock absorbers, and he complains that they rattle. Personally, I reckon that you don't need shock absorbers if you use rubber tips and use the wrist straps properly.

Of the two main brands, I find that Americans tend to prefer Black Diamonds and Europeans prefer Lekis -- perhaps because they're marginally cheaper on their own respective continents.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Isn't a pole simply that. A pole? ( apologies Laurie)!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Laurie

I hope you find the poles that suit you best. As you say, there are so many types available now.

As a retro pilgrim though, I must admit that I use a wooden walking staff. It does not have any shock absorbers, or specially shaped handles, nor is it collapaible, and customs always frown at it when I bring it back into Australia. The only option it comes with is a [genuine] aboriginal painting on it.

But that staff and I have covered a lot of ground together, and God willing will cover much more before one of us [and it won't be the staff!] has to call it a day.

I hope you won't be upset by my being so casual in your quite serious thread.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Isn't a pole simply that. A pole? ( apologies Laurie)!
I agree with this that a pole is just a pole. We realised that we needed poles and bought 2 each at the Chinese bazar shops along the way. They were 5 euros each, were adjustable for the ups and downs. AndThey were perfectly adequate for the trip. I went into a sports shop and they were charging 20 euros EACH for the very same poles!! Keep your money in your pockets folks for something else!

I agree with this that a pole is just a pole. We realised that we needed poles and bought 2 each at the Chinese bazar shops along the way. They were 5 euros each, were adjustable for the ups and downs. AndThey were perfectly adequate for the trip. I went into a sports shop and they were charging 20 euros EACH for the very same poles!! Keep your money in your pockets folks for something else!
My first pole was a wooden one, bought from a local, who was selling them over his garden wall. First day out of Roncesvalles.
I then ' invested' in, what I think was the only pole available here in Costa Rica, for about $10. Then persuaded Adriaan that he should have one too! I then ended up using them both, after developing an ' elephant size knee'. Coming down from S. Juan de la PeƱa. It's a very long, steep, rather dangerous descent. I really did my knee in. From then on, I used both poles in our possession. Hubbie, obviously walked without!
This year, with my right arm in a cast, I really needed a pole to help me balance and give me self confidence. Used with my left arm, but I was soooo happy to have it! Nothing technical. Just helpfulness!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been using Black Diamond Trailback poles for a year now and have been very satisfied. They are aluminum, not carbon, but seem very light to me. What I like best is the flicklock mechanism for adjusting the three lengths. Some other people I hike with have the twist-type mechanism, which doesn't hold as well.

As a retro pilgrim though, I must admit that I use a wooden walking staff.

Well, since I too am a retro pilgrim, I think maybe the best thing is for me to get the new version of the same old pole, which is aptly dubbed the Leki Makalu
Retro poles! Seriously, though, I need two sticks, I know that, and I have had no problems with the ones I have, so why make this overly complicated?

But maybe I'll take a peek at the Black Diamond......

http://www.backcountry.com/leki-mak...ferralID=ca83d574-9c68-11e5-b0f7-0050569451e5

Thanks, everyone!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I originally got the Black Diamond Z poles only because they are so light and could be stowed in my backpack. (I was self conscious and didn't know if I would really use them.) Now I have used them virtually every step of 1500 km in total, and am completely satisfied with them. Instead of adjusting the length, I simply adjust the way I hold the poles when I'm going down a steep slope. I like to vary my grip a little, anyway.

I use the black diamonds ultra z carbon ones myself. I adjust uphill and downhill by changing my grip. It kinda worked better
for me than my old adjustable poles because those always seemed to slip...

One warning though, the carbon poles will not survive being banged against a road barrier, hypothetically, on a certain mountain pass during an epic rainstorm when their user, hypothetically again, frustrated with a failing poncho, and cold, decides his fancy poles should be used to attack an innocent inanimate object.

Just my preferences: Adjustable length (I frequently adjust mine based on up or down hill), and Cam-lock style (after a bad failure of the twist lock style, and annoying grindng when muddy even when it did 'mostly work', and carbone fiber for light weight.... Sounds like you have a nice Santa!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Just my preferences: Adjustable length (I frequently adjust mine based on up or down hill), and Cam-lock style (after a bad failure of the twist lock style, and annoying grindng when muddy even when it did 'mostly work', and carbone fiber for light weight.... Sounds like you have a nice Santa!

And my Santa doesn't even walk the Camino and never complains when I leave home for 6 weeks every year (but then, why should he complain since he is usually found in Brazil, France, or California during that time?).

But to the question of cam-lock vs. twist lock. My old Lekis have never slipped on me even they are that old fashioned twist lock style. But tell me, what poles do you carry? Thanks!

Hi, Laurie,
I have twist-lock Exped poles I got on sale at REI; I actually like them better than the Black Diamond Z-poles a friend has. They're a tad heavier but infinitely adjustable. And they were a fraction of the price.
(Oh, and I crashed on top of them in a rather inelegant faceplant and they neither bent nor snapped...
and the handles are red with a cross on the top--very pilgrimage appropriate and easy to find in the albergue pole bucket!:cool:)

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the black diamond z poles - they are adjustable and pretty darn light, but best of all they fold up small enough to go inside a 38l pack, making it easier to wander through the airport (I took the pack with the poles inside as carry-on luggage on Air Canada). To be honest, I don't adjust them much at all. Last year on the LePuy route, I opened them up in LePuy and folded them up in SJPP.

I bought a friend a pair of the super light ones that are not adjustable. She loves them. They are imperceptibly light, though they do not adjust. The set sizes didn't work for me or I would have bought some for myself.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-174/...womens/?h=10+4294966812&f=10+50046+4294966812.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Well, since I too am a retro pilgrim, I think maybe the best thing is for me to get the new version of the same old pole, which is aptly dubbed the Leki Makalu
Retro poles! Seriously, though, I need two sticks, I know that, and I have had no problems with the ones I have, so why make this overly complicated?

But maybe I'll take a peek at the Black Diamond......

http://www.backcountry.com/leki-mak...ferralID=ca83d574-9c68-11e5-b0f7-0050569451e5

Thanks, everyone!
hello laurie -
was quite happy w/ the Leki 'Wanderfreund' and still am - bought a pair via sierra trading post - with a fine discount.
still using them for my night walks around the neighborhood. very trusty items . no fuzz ... lightweight, realiable. even named them sometime along the camino as my companions: "Pat and Patachon" -
(wonder if anyone recognizes where those names come from :)
good luck w/ finding your new travel companions.
cheers
C

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want poles that pack up small, my sister has a pair of aluminium Black Diamonds that use the flick-lock system but that actually break apart into three separate pieces. I don't know what model they are though.

Hi Laurie,

I've had a pair of Leki Cressida poles for several years now and I love them. I normally hike 2-3 times a week plus a couple hiking trips over the years and have never gone without them.

Saying that, I have recently purchased a pair of "traveling" poles that I'll now take on my overseas trips - the Black Diamond FLZ poles for the same reasons stated above: lightweight, and they fold up so small they'll easily fit inside any backpack or luggage. Caminos are generally kinder on poles (road barriers notwithstanding) as there's not a great deal of rugged mountain hiking so the BD's should be sufficient. I have noted that they don't "lock" into position, the tubes just slide into place - I've caught my basket on a rock and had the pole segments slide apart (collapse) on me. Something to be mindful of.

I am a big fan of the black diamond z poles - they are adjustable and pretty darn light, but best of all they fold up small enough to go inside a 38l pack, making it easier to wander through the airport (I took the pack with the poles inside as carry-on luggage on Air Canada). To be honest, I don't adjust them much at all. Last year on the LePuy route, I opened them up in LePuy and folded them up in SJPP.

I bought a friend a pair of the super light ones that are not adjustable. She loves them. They are imperceptibly light, though they do not adjust. The set sizes didn't work for me or I would have bought some for myself.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-174/...womens/?h=10+4294966812&f=10+50046+4294966812.

Mla1, you were lucky to get thru security with your poles in your carry-on. I believe almost all airports/airlines restrict walking poles to checked luggage only.

Mla1, you were lucky to get thru security with your poles in your carry-on. I believe almost all airports/airlines restrict walking poles to checked luggage only.

I like the BD FLZ poles, with cork grips. They have one adjustable section, using a flick-lock mechanism. Mine are aluminum because the weight to dollar trade off didn't seem big enough to go carbon. I used them on the Camino as well as hiking in north Georgia (Southern end of the AT).

As far as airports go, in the U.S. & Mexico the z poles are ok for carrying on (currently, who knows what changes in the law the future will bring). I was told they were not permitted as carry on within the EU, so I checked them on the way home.

These are what I have, and after using them I won't go back to my old (heavy) twist lock poles:

http://m.rei.com/product/879954/bla...D=120217890000757338&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

Also, just want to add, the FLZ's sections should lock into place. After you have them together pull up on the top section until the small silver pin pops out. They lock together with enough force that I stopped pulling when I got to the point where I was afraid I'd break them if I kept it up. (Of course there may have been design changes over the years). Not trying to pitch these as a mountaineering pole, but just a good, light weight, value. I can snap a picture if my description doesn't make sense.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

I guess it's ok if I take my own thread off topic. :) I have carried on my hiking poles for every camino since the airline lost my checked poles in 2010, and on numerous domestic trips. I have yet to meet anyone who was prohibited from bringing hiking poles on the plane in a US airport, so it may be more of an urban legend. Mla1 is in Canada, though, so things might be different there. Coming home from Santiago is a different story, you must check them if you fly from Santiago, though I have also carried them through Madrid and some other Spanish airport security points.

But I see I have a lot of good hiking pole advice that came in while I was sleeping, so I will have to turn to that now. Thanks everyone!

Hi, Laurie,
I have twist-lock Exped poles I got on sale at REI; I actually like them better than the Black Diamond Z-poles a friend has. They're a tad heavier but infinitely adjustable. And they were a fraction of the price.
(Oh, and I crashed on top of them in a rather inelegant faceplant and they neither bent nor snapped...
and the handles are red with a cross on the top--very pilgrimage appropriate and easy to find in the albergue pole bucket!:cool:)
Viranani, are these the poles you have? I can't find any brand "exped", but saw these -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CK5JHY/?tag=casaivar02-20

I guess it's ok if I take my own thread off topic. :)
(Pssst, Laurie...you're a mod and so you can do anything you like.:D)

And more on topic...when I went looking online at REI to see if my poles are still there (they're not), I noticed there's a big sale on this week. You might tell Santa...

[Edit--we posted about the same time...
No, they're they're these:
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/poles/lite-125
I also notice they make a nifty compact pole that collapses like the Black Diamond:
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/topics/poles]

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pacer metal poles, had my for about four year and two caminos, totally different concept once you move over to pacer poles you will never go back to ski poles. IMHO

zzotte

Like Peregrina2000 above^^^, I have carried my z-poles on board in my pack for many years. Again, this is in the U.S. , but with transfers in Europe in different cities.
My wife does the same thing with her Pacer Poles.

I check my pack with poles inside on return flights as I am not concerned that they arrive with me at home. the Santiago airport is a no-go with carry on sticks, but is the only one that I know of for certain.

Like Laurie, I do not know of anyone who has been denied from any US airport.
All reports I have heard of denials are " third person" or from Santiago airport. .
This may change if the current problems in California cause a step- up in TSA security.

Calling the TSA or airlines will always get you a "not allowed" answer as that is the easiest thing for them to tell you on the phone. Actual practice over many years is different.
Be sure that you do not have any sharp metal tips showing. Put on the rubber tips and maybe a bit of duct tape if you think it a good idea.

This is just the experience that many of us have had with this subject.

Is it possible to buy Black Diamond or Lyke poles in SJPP?

I have never seen other than inexpensive, generic aluminum poles available at St. Jean Pied de Port. If I am incorrect, someone PLEASE straighten me out.

I think the first opportunity to buy a better class of hiking pole will be in Pamplona. There, you can go to one of the several hiking stores that sell Camino related stuff. I prefer to go to the el Corte Ingles department store at Pamplona. In 2014, I bought a lightweight (660 gram) mummy sleeping bag there. I know they carry "name brand" hiking poles but do not know the brands. The selection will not be great. The higher prices will be in Euros, including the 21% VAT tax. This huge department store is located near, but not adjacent to the Pamplona bus station.

This said, if you are starting at SJPdP you will NEED poles or at least a walking staff the first couple of days anyway. Very few people can do the first segment to Roncesvalles without a stick or poles.

If you decide to buy poles down the road," start with a cheap walking staff, bought almost anywhere in St. Jean. You will see. Donate it at the albergue in Pamplona, or any other along the way. You will see hundreds of these leave a stick take a stick opportunities along the way as other pilgrims sort their gear out.

My recommendation, based on experience is to place your US purchased hiking poles, collapsed, into a piece of checked luggage. Any sharp items you bring, such as a Swiss army knife, etc, will need to go checked anyway. Even if you carry your rucksack onboard, the sharps, including poles should be checked to avoid any rejection along the way.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also, just want to add, the FLZ's sections should lock into place. After you have them together pull up on the top section until the small silver pin pops out. They lock together with enough force that I stopped pulling when I got to the point where I was afraid I'd break them if I kept it up. (Of course there may have been design changes over the years). Not trying to pitch these as a mountaineering pole, but just a good, light weight, value. I can snap a picture if my description doesn't make sense.

JBear, I'll look for that pin, thanks for the advice.

As to the remarks of those who carry their poles on board. According to the TSA, it's not allowed. http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-for.html. I don't like the rule, but it's a rule, and that's good enough for me. Where does it end otherwise? Do you try to sneak onboard bottles of water and pocketknives too? I'm not willing to risk having them confiscated - my poles get checked.

JBear, I'll look for that pin, thanks for the advice.

As to the remarks of those who carry their poles on board. According to the TSA, it's not allowed. http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-for.html. I don't like the rule, but it's a rule, and that's good enough for me. Where does it end otherwise? Do you try to sneak onboard bottles of water and pocketknives too? I'm not willing to risk having them confiscated - my poles get checked.

I had never seen that blog, thanks for posting it. The actual regulations, however, do not state that hiking poles are not allowed, so the blog is the interpretation of someone who is presumably authorized to speak on behalf of the government but whose opinion doesn't have the force of law. The actual CFR regulation states that ski poles are not allowed and walking aids are allowed. So I think that leaves us back in the realm of ambiguity. It is because of this ambiguity that I always carry a duffel bag with me for last minute check-in if the TSA agent rejects the poles as carry-ons.

And just for the record, neither I nor grayland have ever tried to sneak anything on any plane. We carry our hiking poles, put them through the scanner, and pick them up at the other side. It is possible that recent events may mean that things get ratcheted up and I will certainly let everyone know when I go in May, but if anyone has experience with poles and US security before then, please let us know.

I hadn't meant to accuse Laurie or Grayland of anything. My comments re: sneaking items onboard, were addressed to the general audience to perhaps see the slippery slope in "believing the rules might not apply". As someone currently in a cast and on crutches, I can't in good faith see how trekking poles could be considered mobility aids and not recreational devices, which are almost indistinguishable from the prohibited ski poles. By taking a checkable duffle with her, Laurie mitigates the risk of losing her poles, others should be so aware.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One quick thing for those that have, or acquire, trekking poles with shock absorption: The spring assembly can--and will--corrode and potentially lock up. Then it is just dead, useless weight. I had this happen with my old Leki poles. So, advice: If they get wet, loosen and pull out the section, clean, and then lightly oil the spring mechanism. Reassemble, of course.

Mla1, when you say the z poles are adjustable, what do you mean? The little video on REI's website says only that there is a secondary grip type thing below the grip, which you can use when you're walking up steep steps. Given my knee problems, I really want poles that I can lengthen for the downs. If I want poles that can be lengthened, does that mean I have to go for twist rather than zpoles?

Walking north from Porto along the coast is mostly wonderful new boardwalk. Nearing Vila do Conde, I tripped and fell on a loose board on an older section of boardwalk. Down I went! (PLOP!) Luckily no major harm done, but one of the aluminum poles bent as I fell on it. These poles were borrowed from my son. I'll be buying my own set (a Christmas present to myself) and decided, based on this experience, not to buy carbon poles due to its brittleness. Strength and light weight aside, I feel it would have snapped on my fall. The aluminum mostly straightened out. Don't want shocks. I've seen the outdoorgearlab site - very informative. Based on a recommendation from my son (who works at REI) I will get Leki Micro Vario Ti COR-TEC. Sometimes the "Z" poles do not adjust, but these are adjustable. A bonus is they will fit in the backpack easily for airline checking.
Eureka! Steve, you answered my question before I asked it. Adjustable AND z-lock all in one. Hooray!

Now my question is what in the world is the possible difference between the "lady's" version and the regular version?

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After my walking poles 'walked away' (I'm sure I must have left them somewhere), a very kind hospitalero dug out a single pole from many items that had been left behind. Voila! Now I wouldn't walk any other way. I do appreciate that everyone's needs are different, but even with the O Cebreiro challenge, it worked just great. I also found myself walking for hours without a pole. I was never really comfortable with both hands occupiedā€¦..

I guess most of you will not have tried Pacer Poles otherwise you would never say "A pole is just a pole"

I strongly advise that if you ever come across anybody walking with them you ask to try them.

You will find them a totally different experience.

One quick thing for those that have, or acquire, trekking poles with shock absorption: The spring assembly can--and will--corrode and potentially lock up. Then it is just dead, useless weight. I had this happen with my old Leki poles. So, advice: If they get wet, loosen and pull out the section, clean, and then lightly oil the spring mechanism. Reassemble, of course.
I have used a couple of different brands with internal metal springs, and even with reputable brands, the spring material will eventually lose its 'bounce'. This is a natural outcome of metal fatigue when the spring is compressed repeatedly. I have never had a pole where the spring has corroded - perhaps I go through them too quickly. Of course, if you just fairy tap, rather than put any real pressure on poles, you may never see this effect! I now avoid the cheap and cheerful end of the market - some no-name and cheaper brands have had a quite short effective life - days and weeks rather than months and years.

A different approach has been taken by BD in their latest designs, with a compressible elastomer collar providing the compression. I bought a pair of these, and one of the collars collapsed after a few weeks. BD replaced the pole, and the pair have now been going strong now for over 18 months.

The other poles that I have used recently are the BD Distance FLZ (aluminium shaft and ribbed 'rubber' handgrip). With a little modification to the tip, I have used these with the regular BD rubber tips. This allows me to have the metal tip fitted to the pole and cover it quickly with a relatively inexpensive rubber tip when on the road. Let me say that the FLZs are unlikely to ever become my 'go to' pole. There are just has too many niggling faults for me to have faith in the design.

My other two sets of poles are from Komperdel and BD. I am not sure which of these I will walk with next year. The Komperdell are an unsprung carbon pole, and work quite well in the bush, but I prefer the sprung BD aluminum poles for urban use. Both have variations on a flick lock mechanism, and both have required adjustments to make them work properly. I don't see that as unusual, but it is a clear disadvantage of that locking approach. However, I am told that these are much easier to adjust for those with grip problems such as might be caused by arthritis.

For the Pacer pole aficionados, I have not forgotten my commitment to try these when I get an opportunity.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess most of you will not have tried Pacer Poles otherwise you would never say "A pole is just a pole"

I strongly advise that if you ever come across anybody walking with them you ask to try them.

You will find them a totally different experience.
I think that Laurie ( the OP) knows me well enough to understand that my comment ' a pole is a pole' was said with a certain amount of 'tongue in the cheek'.
However, as I mentioned on another posting, even had I had pacer poles, they would have been useless this year when I walked, having my right arm in a cast. And I can tell you, I was so happy to at least be able to use one pole only. It gave me a load of confidence.
Frankly, I have only seen one make of poles for sale in Costa Rica and I have two of those. We don't have much possibility of buying all those articles I see mentioned on this Forum! In fact, hardly any choice at all!

I have used a couple of different brands with internal metal springs, and even with reputable brands, the spring material will eventually lose its 'bounce'. This is a natural outcome of metal fatigue when the spring is compressed repeatedly. I have never had a pole where the spring has corroded - perhaps I go through them too quickly. Of course, if you just fairy tap, rather than put any real pressure on poles, you may never see this effect! I now avoid the cheap and cheerful end of the market - some no-name and cheaper brands have had a quite short effective life - days and weeks rather than months and years.

A different approach has been taken by BD in their latest designs, with a compressible elastomer collar providing the compression. I bought a pair of these, and one of the collars collapsed after a few weeks. BD replaced the pole, and the pair have now been going strong now for over 18 months.

The other poles that I have used recently are the BD Distance FLZ (aluminium shaft and ribbed 'rubber' handgrip). With a little modification to the tip, I have used these with the regular BD rubber tips. This allows me to have the metal tip fitted to the pole and cover it quickly with a relatively inexpensive rubber tip when on the road. Let me say that the FLZs are unlikely to ever become my 'go to' pole. There are just has too many niggling faults for me to have faith in the design.

My other two sets of poles are from Komperdel and BD. I am not sure which of these I will walk with next year. The Komperdell are an unsprung carbon pole, and work quite well in the bush, but I prefer the sprung BD aluminum poles for urban use. Both have variations on a flick lock mechanism, and both have required adjustments to make them work properly. I don't see that as unusual, but it is a clear disadvantage of that locking approach. However, I am told that these are much easier to adjust for those with grip problems such as might be caused by arthritis.

For the Pacer pole aficionados, I have not forgotten my commitment to try these when I get an opportunity.

DougFitz, I'd be interested to see/learn how you modified the tip. I prefer to have a proper rubber tip on my poles when walking on pavement.

Mla1, when you say the z poles are adjustable, what do you mean? The little video on REI's website says only that there is a secondary grip type thing below the grip, which you can use when you're walking up steep steps. Given my knee problems, I really want poles that I can lengthen for the downs. If I want poles that can be lengthened, does that mean I have to go for twist rather than zpoles?
The FLZ, which I would assume stands for Flip Lock 'Z', are an adjustable pole with the top section having an adjustable section.

This is the link to the ones I have:
http://m.rei.com/product/879954/bla...D=120217890000757338&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hadn't meant to accuse Laurie or Grayland of anything. My comments re: sneaking items onboard, were addressed to the general audience to perhaps see the slippery slope in "believing the rules might not apply". As someone currently in a cast and on crutches, I can't in good faith see how trekking poles could be considered mobility aids and not recreational devices, which are almost indistinguishable from the prohibited ski poles. By taking a checkable duffle with her, Laurie mitigates the risk of losing her poles, others should be so aware.
Very valid point- if you have a set of poles that you really like, or cost enough that you're worried about the TSA confiscating them, checked bag is the way to go. What I have been told by TSA agents, combined with what the actual CFR says, I'll say you are good to go if you have any of the folding poles equipped with a rubber tip. I, personally, make sure I have screw-in rubber tip if I am going to carry them on board. What I've been told, multiple times is the z style poles are not for skiing, and therefore ok. Solid poles, that look like a ski pole never are, and I have been told that the twist lock style ones are on shaky ground.

Because of my job I am always up front with TSA agents. Trying to circumvent their regulations could cost me my job. Their guidance is why I went with the z style. Of course, their rulings are often arbitrary. Things like this; a corkscrew is ok, but if it has a foil cutter its not. Not trying to be contrary, but if you stick with the CFR you will be in good shape.

I bought Pacerpoles for my last camino (even thouh they are very expensive) because I had broken my arm and was worried about the strap of my old style poles hurting my wrist - but I was disappointed that the Pacerpoles didn't have spring tips. I'm possibly the only person ever to have been disappointed in Pacerpoles, but spring tips are high on my list.

Hi Laurie, I am not sure what they mean by a 'secondary grip'. On mine, the three pieces of the pole fold out and click into place. But then if you want to adjust the height, you can lengthen or shorten the top piece - it slides in and out and then there is flip lock mechanism that you close when you have the length you want. The ones that I have go from 105 cm to 125 cm in length. The super light black diamond poles don't have this adjustable bit. They are quite easy to use. And MUCH lighter than my old poles. Although they also seem to be very strong. And I do really like that they fold up to a very nice size - that you can easily put in your pack. As to your question about the difference between 'women's' and 'men's' poles - you will not be surprised to learn that the women's were purple and the men's were either blue or black (blue and black?). Heaven forbid that men and women use the same colour hiking poles!

Last edited:
DougFitz, I'd be interested to see/learn how you modified the tip. I prefer to have a proper rubber tip on my poles when walking on pavement.
This is not difficult. I wind a strip of fabric backed tape (gaffer tape) around the tip. Don't make it too wide, otherwise it won't be possible to remove and replace the standard FLZ tips. You can see the final result on the left with a BD rubber tip in place, and on the right with the tip removed. When putting the tips on, turn them in the direction that you wound on the tape, otherwise it will start to life the tape. You can see I haven't always got this right, and a short strip of tape has already lifted.

How much tape? Enough to get a firm fit. I cannot now remember what that was. Does it have to be gaffer tape? I think any other tape, such as electrician's tape, would work. Gaffer tape was what I had available.

PC082333.JPG PC082334.JPG

The FLZ, which I would assume stands for Flip Lock 'Z', are an adjustable pole with the top section having an adjustable section.

This is the link to the ones I have:
I also have a pair of the adjustable poles. The come in three or four size ranges. each with about 20cm of length adjustment. For example, mine adjust from 105 to 125 cm in total length. This appears to be the least compromised of the Z-poles designs.

Long distance hiker hubby and I both use the BD Distance Carbon Zpoles. I use the BD Trekking Pole Tip Protector toes, he uses the Rubber Tech Tip (that I think are still too loud).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Thanks Doug! Simple but ingenious. I have a spare pair of nice Leki rubber tips I'll try on the BD's with your taping method. The hard plastic tips that came alongside the metal ones are far too noisy.

I read on the BD website that the rubber tip replacements they offer don't fit the Distance FL....

Last edited:
The Leki slip on ones? If so, they fit over the BD hard rubber tips very well. They stayed nice and snug on mine. Would slip them on at the edge of town, when I hit pavement. I left them on until I'd hit mud. I worried about the mud pulling them off.

The Leki slip on ones? If so, they fit over the BD hard rubber tips very well. They stayed nice and snug on mine. Would slip them on at the edge of town, when I hit pavement. I left them on until I'd hit mud. I worried about the mud pulling them off.
There might be some variation in the throat diameter between Leki and BD rubber walking tips. I didn't find the BD tips sufficiently secure, and felt they would slip off far too easily when used on the FLZ poles. I generally use the BD tips bushwalking when there is a much greater chance of them coming off than on urban walks. For pavement, I have been using the Swix walking foot tip.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also have a pair of the adjustable poles. The come in three or four size ranges. each with about 20cm of length adjustment. For example, mine adjust from 105 to 125 cm in total length. This appears to be the least compromised of the Z-poles designs.
Hi, Doug,
What brand do you have? The BD z-poles have two sizes, 105-120 and 20-140. I would really like to have that extra 5 cm option with the shorter ones because my real concern is steep downhills.

As to your question about the difference between 'women's' and 'men's' poles - you will not be surprised to learn that the women's were purple and the men's were either blue or black (blue and black?). Heaven forbid that men and women use the same colour hiking poles!

It also looks like there are two sizes, though REI doesn't use the men vs. women designation for the BD Z poles. Looks like one is 105-120 cm and one is 120-140. I'm almost 5'8 (but slowly shrinking ;)) and remember some times with my Leki poles going above 120, but I guess the best thing to do is to get myself to an REI and get some help. Unfortunately that is not an easy proposition from my little hamlet in the cornfields.

But I take it that the 105-120 is likely to be ok?

Hi, Doug,
What brand do you have? The BD z-poles have two sizes, 105-120 and 20-140. I would really like to have that extra 5 cm option with the shorter ones because my real concern is steep downhills.
I have the Black Diamond Distance FLZ 105-125cm.

Thanks, Doug. This product differentiation is going to drive me crazy.

Doug has the Black Diamond DISTANCE FLZ
Mla1 has the Black Diamond ALPINE FLZ

So what in the world is the difference between the Distance poles and the Alpine poles?
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/compare?category=trekking-poles
It appears to me that all the differences are in the grip and strap. There is a different attachment method for the strap, and the Alpine variant has a more substantial fabric strap. This seems to add about 145gm to the weight of a pair of the Alpine poles.

Hi Laurie, I am not sure what they mean by a 'secondary grip'.

ML, look at this picture: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...DffWEaAmWn8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

The little video I saw on these poles explained that you can drop your hand to that place right below the handle without adjusting the length. Some refer to it as the ability to "choke up." This seems useful for quick changes from flat to ascent, where you want your poles to be shorter. Make sense?

Now my last question is -- the website says these poles have "interchangeable" carbide and rubber tips. Does that mean that you have to switch back and forth, rather than the much more convenient method of just putting a rubber tip over the metal tip. Thanks so much, IĀ“m getting close. Laurie

Laurie, try Sierratradingpost.com and use keycode: ETP5568S at checkout. Should be $51

Last edited:
ML, look at this picture: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...DffWEaAmWn8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

The little video I saw on these poles explained that you can drop your hand to that place right below the handle without adjusting the length. Some refer to it as the ability to "choke up." This seems useful for quick changes from flat to ascent, where you want your poles to be shorter. Make sense?

When that feature was introduced, I was impressed. My Lekis don't have it, but some of the hikes I've been on included very steep climbs and an extended grip would have been useful. So I went to a sporting goods shop and bought some of the tape for wrapping round the grips of field hockey sticks. It's cushioned and no-slip: perfect! I've covered both ends of my new grips with reflective tape too, for improved visibility in the dark.

Oh I see! Yes, mine have that extra bit of grip - I didn't realize it was a special technical feature!:)
I don't think I ever 'choked up.' And, I have only adjusted them rarely - though I certainly found it useful on very steep trails.

In terms of changing/replacing the tips -- I have not done it yet and probably should have before now. They are definitely worn down and will be difficult to change. You need a pair of pliers to change them. And an extra pair comes with the poles.

And - yes - you can just put the rubber covers over the tips too. That's what I do before I fold my poles up and put them in their little bag and put them in my pack and carry them on the plane. (And, no, I have not ever tried to sneak the poles on a plane - it would be impossible to do so. My pack, like all bags, is scanned, and, just to be sure, I have talked to the security people in my tiny airport, in Canada, where they don't seem to mind this particular version of a stick, in this particular format, being stowed in carry-on bags. Other people's experience, other airlines, may be different).

One other word about poles: I did learn my lesson about making sure you put your poles away dry. After a final day of rain as I got to SJPP, I folded up my poles, packed them away and went to Paris for a few days. Came home and put them in a freezer for a week to kill any baby bedbugs, and then forgot about them for a while. When I next went to use them they were quite stuck together - corroded from the moisture. There was a lot of fiddling to get them apart. Lesson learned: make sure to dry your poles before you store them.

It also looks like there are two sizes, though REI doesn't use the men vs. women designation for the BD Z poles. Looks like one is 105-120 cm and one is 120-140. I'm almost 5'8 (but slowly shrinking ;)) and remember some times with my Leki poles going above 120, but I guess the best thing to do is to get myself to an REI and get some help. Unfortunately that is not an easy proposition from my little hamlet in the cornfields.

But I take it that the 105-120 is likely to be ok?

Yes - I am 5' 7" and tend to keep the pole around 115.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-

If you are using the wrist straps properly, this feature is next to useless. You would have to remove the wrist straps first to lower your grip to the 'extended' portion of the handle. If you are going to do that, you might as well adjust the length of the pole itself. Of course, you could avoid using the wrist strap - the one fundamental design feature that differentiates a technical pole from a long piece of wood - and forego all the benefits of correct technical pole use!

Now my last question is -- the website says these poles have "interchangeable" carbide and rubber tips. Does that mean that you have to switch back and forth, rather than the much more convenient method of just putting a rubber tip over the metal tip. Thanks so much, IĀ“m getting close. Laurie
This involves unscrewing the existing tip and screwing in the other version. If the current tip has been screwed on tightly, you might need a pair of pliers to get sufficient leverage to start removing the tip - I did the first time I tried this. The tips themselves are small enough to be easily misplaced. I would recommend fitting the carbide tip, and using a standard rubber tip when you need that. See my earlier entry on this for one way of making the standard tip secure on the smaller diameter FLZ pole end.

ps - I would be asking Santa for the Alpine FLZ - it wasn't available in Australia when I got the Distance FLZ, but it appears to be a better design with a relatively small increase in weight.

ps - I would be asking Santa for the Alpine FLZ - it wasn't available in Australia when I got the Distance FLZ, but it appears to be a better design with a relatively small increase in weight.

Ok, I just decided I would go with the Distance rather than the Alpine. What is better about the design, Doug? I thought it was mainly differences in the strap.

Ok, I just decided I would go with the Distance rather than the Alpine. What is better about the design, Doug? I thought it was mainly differences in the strap.
That's correct. The Distance FLZ strap is attached to a loop of cord that passes through the pole handle. This concentrates any pressure on a relatively small area of the strap, and on mine this area has already started to fray with about six months of infrequent use. In addition, the strap material has begun to fray along its length, where it passes around my wrist. I don't think this will get to the point where the strap is going to fail, but it is annoying that these problems arose so soon after purchasing these poles.

Laurie - do you know if walkng poles are available in Oviedo? Ryanair won't let me take them on the plane - I'll have to buy when I get there! :(
S.

Like Peregrina2000 above^^^, I have carried my z-poles on board in my pack for many years. Again, this is in the U.S. , but with transfers in Europe in different cities.
My wife does the same thing with her Pacer Poles.

I check my pack with poles inside on return flights as I am not concerned that they arrive with me at home. the Santiago airport is a no-go with carry on sticks, but is the only one that I know of for certain.

Like Laurie, I do not know of anyone who has been denied from any US airport.
All reports I have heard of denials are " third person" or from Santiago airport. .
This may change if the current problems in California cause a step- up in TSA security.

Calling the TSA or airlines will always get you a "not allowed" answer as that is the easiest thing for them to tell you on the phone. Actual practice over many years is different.
Be sure that you do not have any sharp metal tips showing. Put on the rubber tips and maybe a bit of duct tape if you think it a good idea.

This is just the experience that many of us have had with this subject.

Santiago personnel -- Ryanair-- let me on my flight with the poles, and the security teased me nonstop through security about everything they could after I accidentally left my poles on the scanning machine. I had to walk back through passport control to get them, and they were laughing at my attachment to my poles: "Oh, they are really special, but you are leaving them here...do you think they fly by themselves?" etc etc..... I look like a grandma though, and would not advise that everyone try taking their poles on a plane.

Laurie - do you know if walkng poles are available in Oviedo? Ryanair won't let me take them on the plane - I'll have to buy when I get there! :(
S.
Oviedo has a ton of mountain groups and is surrounded by mountains, so you'll have no problem. Here are a couple that came up on the top of a google search:
http://deportescavana.es
Calle MarquƩs de Pidal 22.
C. P. 33004 Oviedo Asturias
TELƉFONO 985255834 (close to Corte Ingles and train station)

D-ruta
Arzobixpo Guisasola 28
http://d-ruta.com (very close to the albergue)

Buen camino, Laurie

How about just one pole as compared with two? I have a feeling i'm going to be carrying them most of the way. Do people walk without poles. I have two good knees and feel like this might be just extra weight to carry..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How about just one pole as compared with two? I have a feeling i'm going to be carrying them most of the way. Do people walk without poles. I have two good knees and feel like this might be just extra weight to carry..
This approach has never made a lot of sense to me. If you have the poles, they are beneficial when being used - whether you are out in the country or in towns and cities. They are of no benefit and just a dead weight if they are in your pack. Get a good walking tip and a couple of replacements - if you haven't worn out a walking tip, you are not using the poles effectively to reduce the load on your lower joints.

I have also some people say they only carry them for emergencies, so they have them in their pack. The only time poles help in an 'emergency' is when they are in your hands. Otherwise they will just be an addition to the weight you are carrying that will add to the impact of any fall:(.

This approach has never made a lot of sense to me. If you have the poles, they are beneficial when being used - whether you are out in the country or in towns and cities. They are of no benefit and just a dead weight if they are in your pack. Get a good walking tip and a couple of replacements - if you haven't worn out a walking tip, you are not using the poles effectively to reduce the load on your lower joints.

I have also some people say they only carry them for emergencies, so they have them in their pack. The only time poles help in an 'emergency' is when they are in your hands. Otherwise they will just be an addition to the weight you are carrying that will add to the impact of any fall:(.

Did you see many people walking without poles. If feel like I'm being a sheep and just taking what everyone else is taking. I have never hiked with a pole before. Can I do it without them? I will be turnng 60 this April. Im in good shape without knee or ankle problems. Anyone out there that did their Camino without poles?

pole issue is a pretty hot topic indeed :) the answer perhaps is : it depends. when I run I use poles just to have more upper body involvement. when I do nordic walking I use poles by default (kind of extra propelling). when I hike I employ them to facilitate keeping balance, pace, and reduce impact on joints. in this case they can be also left alone (or walk just with one pole, staff, alpenstock etc) if one feels more comfortable in this way. in contrast, when I scramble, poles are safely attached to the backpack, because I need both hands free.
basically it means you may not need two poles. may be you will be fine without them. the only way how to find out this is to go and hit a moderately rugged path, some 10-15km, with at least 10kg in the backpack, including moderately steep descent and then ask your knees what they think about this. poles may be just extra weight to carry, if you plan to make short daily distances, but they may be indispensable if you want to cover longer ones.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Poles are completely optional. There are many people walking without poles, and many walking with them in their pack or using them ineffectively. What amazes me is that people will invest their money in poles, but will not make the small companion investment of their time in learning to use them properly. If you don't think you are going to use them, don't even buy them in the first place. If you do think you will use them, learn to use them properly.

Poles are completely optional. There are many people walking without poles, and many walking with them in their pack or using them ineffectively. What amazes me is that people will invest their money in poles, but will not make the small companion investment of their time in learning to use them properly. If you don't think you are going to use them, don't even buy them in the first place. If you do think you will use them, learn to use them properly.
Thank you everyone. I have some old cheap poles that I have never really used. I will dig them out and take the wild trail up by our Cabin to see if I even know how to use them. I appreciate all the help.

Did you see many people walking without poles. If feel like I'm being a sheep and just taking what everyone else is taking. I have never hiked with a pole before. Can I do it without them? I will be turnng 60 this April. Im in good shape without knee or ankle problems. Anyone out there that did their Camino without poles?
I never use poles at home, and initially I thought I would feel like an idiot. That's why I got the lightest foldable ones - I really wasn't committed to them. However, I would not now attempt the camino without them - they help my balance (especially since I am unnaturally top-heavy due to the backpack), help my posture to be straight and symmetrical, and also probably ease the impact on feet and joints. I consider them essential for descending some slopes that are slippery with water, mud, leaves, or loose rocks.

I never use poles at home, and initially I thought I would feel like an idiot. That's why I got the lightest foldable ones - I really wasn't committed to them. However, I would not now attempt the camino without them - they help my balance (especially since I am unnaturally top-heavy due to the backpack), help my posture to be straight and symmetrical, and also probably ease the impact on feet and joints. I consider them essential for descending some slopes that are slippery with water, mud, leaves, or loose rocks.
Thanks. I will practice at home to avoid looking like an idiot and breaking my neck while using them improperly!

I used to walk with just one pole, and lent the other one to my sister. After long hikes, though, we both noticed that our hips opposite the hand with the pole was hurting -- either from working extra hard to compensate or because using one pole put our bodies at an uncomfortable angle, presumably.

Did you see many people walking without poles. If feel like I'm being a sheep and just taking what everyone else is taking.

Many, many people walk without poles. I've walked with, and without. I think that poles make especially good sense when you are concerned about joint issues (knees), or question your general stability.

But also, for fitness folks, poles increase calorie consumption and allow you to develop upper body strength while you are walking.

Still, the most absolute reason to use poles in my opinion, is for after it rains, and the trail is muddy. The poles give you a lever on which to balance as you bounce from one high spot to another, avoiding an ankle (or shin) deep drenching.

Also, when crossing a brook. Sometimes you need to walk on stones or a log to cross an innocent stream. The poles make me much more adept at navigating those types of obstacles. Those obstacles are rare, but I guarantee you that you will use the poles for this purpose at least 1-5 times on your trip, depending of course on the route, the time of year, and the distance travelled.

I prefer to walk with poles, for my knees, and the little streams.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Many people walk without a pole. You can certainly do without them. Depending on where you start you still can buy a pole or two on the way. Buen Camino, SY

I agree that if you are going to spend money on and carry the weight of poles, you should really learn to use them. It is after all for your own benefit. I have seen so many people just waving them around to no effect and in fact it looks exhausting to me. Just watch a Youtube video or ask someone in an outdoor shop to show you. Once you get it, it becomes second nature.

When I started getting hip pain after long walks I decided to try Pacerpoles, as they have a fantastic returns policy, so nothing to lose by trying them. Being Norwegian I took some time to unlearn the skipole technique and learn to use them correctly (with help from the lovely Heather who makes them) - but then I walked like the wind, even on the uphill bit after Portomarin! As soon as I got the hang of them I could tell that they made a huge difference: they stop me from slouching at the end of the day and keep my posture straight, which is better for my back, they stop my hands from swelling and I feel less tired. I have walked about 1500 kms of Camino without poles (and without problems) and 250 with the Pacers so far, and they are definitely coming with me to the Ingles next year.

Costco sells poles in the spring for about $30, but they can be purchased directly here, with free shipping in the USA.

http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Twist-Lock-Hiking-Poles-p/1006.htm

We have both these poles, and some $125 black Diamond poles. After using them both, we took these for a month in Nepal and I use the Black Diamonds for a wading staff fly fishing.

Good advice Annette. Otherwise there is also the 'stick' variety which the pilgrims of old used.

an excellent thread and interesting discussion ... thnx to Peregrina2000 for kicking this off and to other pilgrims for so many worthwhile posts ... for what itā€™s worth, my recommendation [for Santa] is a pair of Leki Cressida AS ladies poles with the anatomical cork [faux cork] grip ... if you have smaller hands these are ideal and super comfortable, esp. if the weather is warm as the cork absorbs the sweat ... very light, made for women, aluminium [and so not subject to the shattering/splintering that can happen with the carbon poles] ... i found them very forgiving on 400km of the Le Puy route in 2014, up and down many rocky, gnarl-rooted and eroded goat tracks on the first 200+ kilometres ...
Bon chemin :)

Wow,lots of info on this topic eh. Well, my two cents is this. I purchased a set of carbon fiber poles from a box store three yrs ago. I used them on each camino the last three yrs. and also on my daily hike of five miles . The total cost for the poles was $26. They are still in excellent condition . I have replaced the rubber tips twice and the carbide tips show little wear. I only use the metal tips when needed. They have the cam loc adjusters not the twist type. The grips are a rubber type and seem to hold up very well. I'm sure the more expensive ones are better some how, but I don't no how to compare it. After all a pole goes from your grip to the ground and it has worked fine for me in the last several thousand miles. They seem to be durable enough for me and they are quite light. Ford f450 4x4 for dirt and the BMW for the opera. Both are vehicles and have four tires. It is how you arrive at your destination I guess. The beemer is definitely easier to park, Doh! Just my opinion,not to be taken too seriously. Buen camino

Santa wants to bring me a new set of hiking poles. My Leki Makalu poles are 15 years old and I don't think it's worth it to replace the metal tip. The cork handles are pretty yukky. Anyway, I started to search for poles and found there is now such a huge variety that it is almost paralyzing.

I've read good things about the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon or Leki Micro Vario Carbon (really, you need four words to name your product?) But I'd be interested in knowing what the differences are among all these many different options and what the advantages and disadvantages are.

In particular, I've seen some mention of ergonomic features and shock absorption. No clue how those affect the pole. Thanks, experts! Buen camino, Laurie

Hello. I walked my very first Camino in May-July this year from SJPdP to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and walked every step of the way with my Pacer Poles which I loved. With my dodgy knees it was wise choice. I couldn't have done it without them and they proved invaluable going up hills and especially down them. I found them very comfortable and if I was tired could push back on them to give me some forward momentum too. When I stopped I could lean on them which was relaxing. One of the best purchases I made. I emailed Heather at Pacer Poles as I am 5'5" for guidance and her response was:

"I suggest the 3 section Alloys - as you are a Medium frame, then either the Alloys or the Carbons - but for your needs then I would go for the Alloys; these have the 18mm diam top section, down to 16mm and then 14mm for the bottom shaft ....whereas the Carbons are more slender with 16mm diam, to 14mm to 12mm. The 2-section would be good but the only downside is that the lower section is 80cm long -which might make it awkward to stow. If stowing 80cm isn't an issue then that's fine. Otherwise go for the Alloys. Any queries just ask."

Good advice Annette. Otherwise there is also the 'stick' variety which the pilgrims of old used.

I might have been unlucky, but every time I have purchased a cheap pole, I have got what I paid for - not much. They have rarely lasted long in training or on the Camino, and ended up in the bin. On sprung poles, the springs have failed, the shortest in about three days of Camino walking! On un-sprung poles the tips have collapsed and the metal tips fallen off the tip.

BTW, springs will all fail eventually, its really whether they fail after 50 or 60 km or several thousand. The latter is clearly preferable, and why it's worth paying for a reputable brand.

My dad has a pair of Lekis with shock absorbers, and he complains that they rattle. Personally, I reckon that you don't need shock absorbers if you use rubber tips and use the wrist straps properly.

Of the two main brands, I find that Americans tend to prefer Black Diamonds and Europeans prefer Lekis -- perhaps because they're marginally cheaper on their own respective continents.
I walked the Camino this fall with Leki's - brilliant in my humble estimation! Easily folded or extended and weighed nothing.
I have TWO pedestrian contributions to this thread while others can wax eloquently about the sticks.
I was walking out of Carillion, a beautiful night in the albergue, Espirtu Sancti (sp) and my stick got stuck in a metal drain grate on the road. I tugged it out successfully, but left the rubber tip in the drain. For two days, I walked with a silent drop of one stick with the rubber tip and the annoying clack of the other stick with the metal tip!!!
Two days later, I was in a great shop in Leon and bought new rubber tips!
My experience is this: use rubber tips (the most cushioned you can buy (I bought mine at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine). The ones I bought in Leon were inferior.
And when you get your rubber tips - but two sets! You may get lodged in a drain grate too! Or the other bit of advice of this contribution is "watch for drainage grates."

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.