• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Needing a bit of help with Spanish Phrases...

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I have been attempting to learn some Spanish for the last few months. I am using a couple of different methods (programs) but much of what I am learning will not necessarily apply to what I might need while walking the camino, although I will continue with my studying as I hope to become fluent some day. But for now, I was wondering if I might get a bit of help with some specific phrases that can be used on the camino. And questions that might be asked of me in Spanish, for example I didn't even know what "Que tal?" was until the other day when I was reading a book written by someone who walked the camino, (which means How's it going?) I tried to search through the threads and see if this request has already been asked but couldn't find it if it has. I have picked up a few of the more important ones (from the couple of pages of translations offered in the John Brierley guide book) such as how to make a reservation and where is the bathroom! Thanks in advance...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been attempting to learn some Spanish for the last few months. I am using a couple of different methods (programs) but much of what I am learning will not necessarily apply to what I might need while walking the camino, although I will continue with my studying as I hope to become fluent some day. But for now, I was wondering if I might get a bit of help with some specific phrases that can be used on the camino. And questions that might be asked of me in Spanish, for example I didn't even know what "Que tal?" was until the other day when I was reading a book written by someone who walked the camino, (which means How's it going?) I tried to search through the threads and see if this request has already been asked but couldn't find it if it has. I have picked up a few of the more important ones (from the couple of pages of translations offered in the John Brierley guide book) such as how to make a reservation and where is the bathroom! Thanks in advance...

Another great resource is the website "Notes in Spanish" The podcasts are free and its real Spanish - having studied for a few years, I found these a few months ago and rave about them. The transcripts are what you pay for but you can see how you get on with a podcast first. Buena suerte!

De nada chica
Language Timothy !

Part of the problem with most language courses is that they teach you phrases you're never likely to use.
When have you ever felt the need to say "My name is Sheila and this is my friend Doug". Worse still was
one course where we were encouraged to say "She is a girl", "He is a boy". You walk into a bar down town
in Astorga on a Saturday night and get that wrong ! I doubt Google translate will help you out with the
subsequent outpouring.

What did seem to be working for a Korean pilgrim was watching Barrack Obama making a speech with
Korean subtitles underneath. He'd listen to a phrase, pause it, have a go himself and I'd help him out.
( I dread to think what sort of accent he'd end up with had we kept it up !) The other day I watched an
interview with Muhammed Ali and Parkinson dubbed into Spanish but with English subtitles. If you
could find a children's programme in Spanish with English subtitles that might be the way to go. Just
make sure it's not Sesame Street

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have friends that own a restaurant on Menorca. I was learning Spanish and used to practice during evening meals. The owner and his wife and waiting staff used to go to English lessons in the afternoons.
One day Eduardo asked me " Do you have a lot of donkeys in Britain ?" His wife laughed at my puzzled expression and explained that one of the first phrases that they had to learn was "The naughty donkey ate all of the strawberries"
Now that should come in handy on the camino !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've enjoyed "Mi Vida Loca" videos http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/.
Also the Pimsleur beginners Spanish course, which you practice 1/2 hour a day, has been really helpful as a refresher for my long ago Spanish classes. It uses immersive dialogues to build vocabulary, with very little English.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another excellent podcast is called Coffee Break Spanish. You can get it for free on itunes.
I was a big fan of Coffee Break. Now at the end of the first course (lessons 1-40), and increasingly frustrated by too much time spent on repetitive and unnecessary explanations and comments in English. It's a good one to start with though, if you want a leisurely pace.

I like Coffee Break Spanish and Duolingo. I think it helps to understand sentences you won't need, as it helps to understand the structure of a sentence. And the words in that sentence can be used elsewhere. If you only want to learn phrases without learning the language, I'd recommend learning phrases that only require short answers. Otherwise you won't understand the replies. Where is? My name is... How are you? How much is? What do you think of the European Union's policy on immigration? That sort of thing. Gringo Español podcast is quite good apart from the vowel strangulation. I liked the episodes about words in Spanish/English which are very similar. For example words ending in OR. And how ...tion words often end with ...cion in Spanish. Good luck. I've been having Spanish lessons for 18 months, and listen to podcasts daily, and use Spanish/English apps daily. And feel I've only scratched the surface of the language.

Try Michel Thomas. He has a cd course in Beginners' Spanish and Advanced Spanish. It's really user-friendly and focuses on learning basic rules that you can then apply to lots of situations. . . . really good for learning fast! Available through Amazon. Also available free through the library system in the UK.
Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try Michel Thomas. He has a cd course in Beginners' Spanish and Advanced Spanish. It's really user-friendly and focuses on learning basic rules that you can then apply to lots of situations. . . . really good for learning fast! Available through Amazon. Also available free through the library system in the UK.
Hope this helps.
I may not be much help because I studied Soanish for years, never reaching fluency. I had to learn Camino vocabulary and got better each day. I ended up by week 2 speaking 85% Spanish.

Seeing the spoken words increases your sight word vocabulary and helps with the basis of other words.

Listen to music in Spanish and see if you can find the Spanish words. Programs on the iPad that show the written word and translation help

Use an online English to Spanish translator for key phrases;

Example:
Do you have a Bunk bed for I person for tonight

My verb tenses were not always correct, nor were my companions who tried to speak without me being the translator.

It took me a while to figure out that " vale" was a term like ok in English.

Any program that allows you to see the spoken words spelled out are good

You can also try signing out a child's book in Spanish from the library

if you search "conversation exchange", post a message along the lines of ' hello, I would like to improve my Spanish and maybe I can help you with English' you are sure to get replies. Then you can message that person or if you want talk to them via Skype.
Or you can message some of the many Spanish speakers who have posted messages saying they would like to learn English in return for helping you with Spanish.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You don't mention what program you are using. I quite enjoy 'Duo Lingo'. It's quite simplistic. I found that the approx 500-word level that I reached (in the time that I had) and some basic grammar, helped me immensley while walking the CF. It's free on line.

I can't recommend specific courses, but agree with the messages above about the importance of practicing.

In my experience learning foreign languages, studying grammar, vocabulary... can only take you so far (which isn't to say they are not important). There comes a point where the only way to progress is to actually practice. And since it's always tempting and easier to go back to your comfort zone (that is, to your native language), the only way to force yourself to practice is to "inmerse" yourself in the other language. Go without a safety net, so to speak: try reading a spanish text without a dictionary or translation, talk to native speakers...

Of course, this is only useful if you already have some knowledge of spanish. It will be no good if you can't understand *anything* at all when reading a text!

My poor ol' brain does not do well learning languages with the tapes and online stuff. I learn it for a few hours and then it disappears. Before my last camino I made sure I did know basics beyond please, thank you and counting, like "donde es?", "cuanto?". And I did study my Lonely Planet phrase book before I arrived and on the flight over. I found that if did not rely on anyone else for translation and speaking I did much better because I was forced to! And when asking for directions like "donde es mercado" when the local spoke the directions back to me in rapid fire Spanish, I would verify by saying back tres (for number of blocks) and then pointing right or left etc. I'd either get back a sí or a no and more directions. But hey, I got to the place every time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I somehow managed with 50 year old high school Spanish. Peg spent an hour a day for a year with a number of websites like SpanishDict. Words failed her when she tried to talk but she did understand well enough. Given the amount of time you have before the trip I suggest concentrating on vocabulary more than grammar. If someone were to say to you "Excuse my English; I seek market food" I bet you would be able to eventually get her point. (I once had a fellow from China ask me about a house meter and together from there we worked out that a bathroom scale was the object intended.) Don't forget the magic words like greetings, thanks, etc.

Thanks for the tips! I have just downloaded Coffee Break Spanish, part 1 is free all others have a fee. I use an app on my iPhone, Google translate. I can put any phrase I want into it and it gives me the Spanish, including sound. I can listen to the whole sentence or break the sentence down into phrases so that I can understand it better. Best thing is that the app also retains the phrases when I am off line. If I need to look up a new phrase tho I do need Internet connection. I am not good at languages but I have learnt a few useful words and phrases and hope it's a good basis for starting my Camino soon. So it works for me.

I purchased a CD program that I listen to whenever I'm driving. Unfortunately, I understand MUCH more than I speak.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I purchased a CD program that I listen to whenever I'm driving. Unfortunately, I understand MUCH more than I speak.
Mine was the opposite; if I spoke in Spanish, I could not always understand the response; mostly because the response was too rapid for my ability to catch it all. I love the language and hope to keep improving as I go.

Check also out my old thread here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/multilingual-camino-dictionary.31060/ I haven't worked much lately on this project (shame on me!!!) but there is still already some good material in the referenced Google doc AND you can always add some phrases you want to know/have translated to it and one of us might get around doing it. Buen Camino, SY
Great idea - and keeping it simple. I'll see what I can up with and will PM you. I'm in.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mine was the opposite; if I spoke in Spanish, I could not always understand the response; mostly because the response was too rapid for my ability to catch it all. I love the language and hope to keep improving as I go.
It seems there are different parts of the brain primarily involved in speaking and understanding speech, Broca's and Wernicke's areas respectively. Perhaps that at least partly explains why some of us find it easier to speak than understand or vice versa. I even find it more an effort to understand spoken English, my native language, than speak it. Reading and writing are easier for me than speaking or listening, in any language (provided the Roman alphabet is used!).

It took me a while to figure out that " vale" was a term like ok in English.
That one threw me for a while, too. Especially when repeated three times in rapid succession, "Vale vale vale," all to add emphasis to something the young man was saying. But then, that's why I like to travel the world.

I agree that the Pimsleur series is great, but in my case (for French) it was better for learning vocabulary than learning to express myself - depends on what you're after. For my learning style, being in a classroom where there's interaction and feedback works best. Look around your city for a quality private school that gives once-weekly classes at a time that works for you, or check a local college's continuing education program. There are also an internet hook-up sites (and I mean that in the NON sexual sense!) where you can find someone with whom you can practice the language you want to learn via skype or facetime with someone who wants to practice English. I think you'd find learning to express yourself and understand a bit in Spanish would serve you better than just learning a few Camino-specific phrases.

Besides the basic phrases (buenos días, gracias, hasta luego etc.) I would next rehearse the numbers very well, especially 5-15-50. Maybe sesenta-setenta, too. I'm also trying to learn more and more Spanish, and I manage simple questions, but also I find it difficult to follow the answers when half a dozen enthusiastic locals are willing to help you and shouting all together at the same time unbelievably rapidly! But I've always managed to solved everything out finally...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the tips! I have just downloaded Coffee Break Spanish, part 1 is free all others have a fee. I use an app on my iPhone, Google translate. I can put any phrase I want into it and it gives me the Spanish, including sound. I can listen to the whole sentence or break the sentence down into phrases so that I can understand it better. Best thing is that the app also retains the phrases when I am off line. If I need to look up a new phrase tho I do need Internet connection. I am not good at languages but I have learnt a few useful words and phrases and hope it's a good basis for starting my Camino soon. So it works for me.

You can (could?) download the podcasts for free - you only pay for the back up material. LOVE Mark's Spanish accent (his Scottish one's not bad either!)

Good "fillers" while you're thinking of what to say:
a ver = let's see . . .
pues = well (as in "well now . . . ")
entonces = so . . .

and if you can't remember what a thing is called ask for a

cosa = thingamajig
cosita = a little whatsit

Bueno is another filler. There's a lot of good stuff on the web on colloquial usage. Tourists are "guiri's". I've read that "buenas" is more common than "hola" and " 'sta logo" - hasta luego - is more common than adios. I suppose this is akin to g'day and see ya in Aussie English. Who in English ever says good day or farewell! Most language lessons tend to produce formal or stilted speech IMO. I'm hoping a sprinkling of me mola and que guay will cover up my total ignorance of all tenses bar the present indicative. After all, the world's most widely spoken language doesn't conjugate verbs at all, so why should I?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Tourists are "guiri's"

Colloquially, foreign tourists, specially Americans and non-Spanish Europeans, are called guiris by some people. Just by some people. Not everybody uses that colloquial term although everybody in Spain understands it.

I've read that "buenas" is more common than "hola

I would say it isn't more common but I don't have statistics so I could be wrong. Anyway, buenas is (very) informal and not everybody likes to be addressed that way. I recall a kid was told by the referee of a match to greet properly a kid of the other team when the kid greeted the other kid saying "buenas". Hola is easy to say and accepted by everyone so a safe choice. Don't use buenas with someone you (would) address using usted instead of tú.

hasta luego - is more common than adios.

That's right. Hasta luego (sometimes shortened 'ta luego on oral speech) is getting more common than adiós.

Try a book called "Camino Lingo" by Reinette Novoa and Sylvia Nielsen (our very own sillydoll). Even if you don't remember them all the book is quite light and small so could even be carried.
Camino Lingo is Marvelous!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good "fillers" while you're thinking of what to say:
a ver = let's see . . .
pues = well (as in "well now . . . ")
entonces = so . . .

and if you can't remember what a thing is called ask for a

cosa = thingamajig
cosita = a little whatsit
Thank you for that Jeff, at my age, I am calling half my English words thingamajigs!! Shannon

It seems there are different parts of the brain primarily involved in speaking and understanding speech, Broca's and Wernicke's areas respectively. Perhaps that at least partly explains why some of us find it easier to speak than understand or vice versa. I even find it more an effort to understand spoken English, my native language, than speak it. Reading and writing are easier for me than speaking or listening, in any language (provided the Roman alphabet is used!).
Broca's Area is involved in speech, at least in speech processing but is not primarily responsible for it and the same goes for Wernicke's Area and decoding heard language. Language is about the most complex thing the brain does and a lot of parts are involved in it (including cognition, working and long-term memory and emotion). The only thing one can say with any certainty is that the more you do it, the better you get at it: the brain builds stronger neural pathways to eventually develop automaticity. Like you, I struggle to comprehend spoken language, especially not my own. I practise by listening online e.g. RTVE live and podcasts and don't let anyone tell you sub-titles won't help, they do, whether in Spanish or English, particularly if you are more of a visual thinker.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back