• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous about the Pyrenees/Napolean Route?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello - there are often a lot of questions about the difficulty of the crossing from St Jean to Roncesvalles and I thought I would add my two penneth worth for anyone searching in the future.

Last autumn I walked the Camino Frances. I was due to start from St Jean but I became increasing nervous about the climb and I think in the end I convinced myself I couldnt do it. I changed my plans at the last minute and started from Roncesvalles. I made it to Santiago but there was not a day on my walk where I didn't regret my decision.

This year I had the chance to walk again and decided I would start from St Jean and walk the Napolean route. I arrived at St Jean (by car) at midday and made an advance booking at Orisson. This allowed me to start walking the first day and also allowed me to break the journey. I was a tad complaicent with my training over the winter so I wasn't as fit as I should have been but I stepped out of the car and on to the camino and it felt like coming home.

The first few kilometres were wonderful but when I got to Hunto (5km mark) I started to feel the steepness of the climb! The following three kilometres were very hard! I can tell you though I nearly skipped to Orisson when I saw it... I dont think I've ever felt so happy to see a albergue/refuge!

The evening at Orisson was wonderful - a great communal meal and a chance to meet your fellow pilgrims.

I was apprehensive of the walk to Roncesvalles the next day - we had rain, sleet, fog and snow and it was freezing cold but I have to say I never felt it was too hard or indeed as difficult as the 3km from Hunto to Orisson. I'd even say I really enojoyed the walk.

I dont want to give the impression this stage is easy but I will say that my own fears got the better of me the first time... so if you want to walk from St Jean go for it, you wont regret your decision. If you're ready for the camino you'll be ready for the climb... and book into Orisson and enjoy the rest if you're not sure about going over in one hit.

Happy walking! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think it is important for people to consider their age, health and level of fitness when considering going the Napolean route. I was going to take the Valcarlos route after reading many posts on the forum. But at the last second in St Jean, I could get a reservation in Orrison So took off on the Napolean route. Big mistake, two days of misery, snow , hail, rain, fog, lighting. Then the worst part going downhill. Swoolen knees, lost toenails. The grades up and down are very steep. Don't do it if you are not fit. Don't do it without trekking poles. I made it but I will not be remembering this experience fondley.
Please assess your capabilities before taking the Napolean route. I knew this wasn't right for me, but went against my better judgement.
I'm really enjoying the Meseta now. Nice and level. Perfect if you like to view farmland and have bad knees.

Last year on my first Camino I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon in 6.5 hours. At 65 years of age it was no big deal!! Not particularly steep, just a steady uphill trudge. This time lapse will give you an idea of the terrain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
L Squared... you were 2 days ahead of me :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the Mesata, I loved it too... I hope your toes and knees recover for the climb to 'cebreiro and the descent to Molinaseca... bizarrely I still remember that as my hardest 2 hours :eek:

LSquared.. The missing part of your report on your experience is that the alternative Valcarlos route would have had virtually the same weather conditions. There can be more snow accumulation but the weather is usually similar.
Also, the Valcarlos alternative is not much easier than the other.
I have done both more than once.

Neither is nearly as bad as often posted here.
It is not a walk from hell...it is just the first day.
I would suggest that anyone not fit start in Roncevalles as the Valcarlos route is a challenge as well.
Actually, both are a piece of cake. :cool:

Last year on my first Camino I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon in 6.5 hours. At 65 years of age it was no big deal!! Not particularly steep, just a steady uphill trudge. This time lapse will give you an idea of the terrain.

Good for you. I sat at a desk for 37 years, am not fit and it took me 4.5 hrs to Orrison then 9 hrs the next day to get to Roncesvalles. Thirteen hours, double your time. I think people need to assess their fitness and determine if the Napolean route is right for them. Most older people are not doing it in 6.5 hrs and quite a few people get injured and end their camino early. I feel lucky that I am able to continue my camino. I would not recommend the Napolean route for anyone who is not fit and used to the climbs and decent of the Napolean route. It is not easy for those who are not in top shape.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interesting that the first two posts seemed like they were exact opposites as one hadn't done the Pyrennees, regretted it, climbed the next time and was happy about the experience. The second had done it, regretted the effort and would prefer to skip that part of the adventure. The common denominator is that both ladies went against their inner peace when they made their original decisions. I think it is important to gather as much info as possible about what's in store and then make our decisions based not only on that input but also on what we know of ourselves. I like this thread because it reminded me to not discount my own self-awareness while planning.

The common denominator is that both ladies went against their inner peace when they made their original decisions. I think it is important to gather as much info as possible about what's in store and then make our decisions ...

Wow... I love this response and maybe that is exactly what happened? I had trained and I had done my research and in my heart of hearts, 4 weeks before I started walking I thought I could do it, indeed I'd always thought I could do it. As my start day grew closer the more nervous I became, I read too much about how terrible day 1 is and also friends starting worrying about the whole trip... and I think I litterally just bottled it. o_O

In the end the walk to Roncesvalles was just not as bad as I had imagined it... it's steep and tough but do-able... and as you say I should have simply told myself to calm down and trusted my own judgement. :rolleyes:

Hello all.
I think it's great that you can read so many postings about the camino and get a good idea of whats expected. I'm arriving in sjjp this thursday (7th may) and I'm so looking forward to everything, be snow, wind, hail or blazing sunshine.
I think its important to know your fitness and never over do it.

I just had a question, on the stroll up the pyrenees do you have to book in advance for the place at Orrison? I really don't like to book places because i want to stop or carry on when as my body (feet) tell me.
Any info would be very appreciated thank you

buen camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Devon mike what an awesome video. I'll be strolling up these lanes on friday 8th msy.
Can't wait and thank you for an informative video

do you have to book in advance for the place at Orrison?
It has been customary to reserve because it does fill up. However, it is not as popular a stop as the Forum would have you believe. I suspect many who stop there are Forum members; most pilgrims go all the way to Roncesvalles. Orisson also operates the Kayola lodging just down the hill, so there often is room there. Since Orisson is just a couple of hours up the hill from SJPdP, it seems to close to most pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just had a question, on the stroll up the pyrenees do you have to book in advance for the place at Orrison? I really don't like to book places because i want to stop or carry on when as my body (feet) tell me.
Any info would be very appreciated thank you

buen camino

Hi - I'd agree with the others that many folks get to Orisson too early to stop for the day. There were a few hundred pilgrims at Roncessvalles when I got there and only about 35 of us stayed at Orisson :)

I didn't start walking until miday so for me it was an ideal break... if I had started at 7:30 then possibly I would have stopped for a good break and then carried on.

If you're nervous aboout making the trip to Roncesvalles then I think it's a great idea to be able to break the day. There was a great communal meal and it was a great chance to meet other pilgrims. It was full the night I stayed so if you really do want to stop I would recommend booking but if you're unsure perhaps just play it by ear and take a chance?

If you are serious about staying..it is a good idea to make a reservation from May to September.

The forum does make it sound as if "everyone" stops there. They do not. It is a good break for the first day as the next day is longer but not as steep.
The legend of the Napoleon route continues to grow...

Most walk through to Roncesvalles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think it is important for people to consider their age, health and level of fitness when considering going the Napolean route. I was going to take the Valcarlos route after reading many posts on the forum. But at the last second in St Jean, I could get a reservation in Orrison So took off on the Napolean route. Big mistake, two days of misery, snow , hail, rain, fog, lighting. Then the worst part going downhill. Swoolen knees, lost toenails. The grades up and down are very steep. Don't do it if you are not fit. Don't do it without trekking poles. I made it but I will not be remembering this experience fondley.
Please assess your capabilities before taking the Napolean route. I knew this wasn't right for me, but went against my better judgement.
I'm really enjoying the Meseta now. Nice and level. Perfect if you like to view farmland and have bad knees.
Hi Laura, I'm glad you better now. Sorry to hear that you had a bad time on the Napolean route. I had a great time up there. I met a girl from Honduras in Pamplona and she walked from Sjpdp to Zubiri in one day and she did this for the fourth time. I'm in Castrojeriz at the moment. You are also in the Meseta where are you at the moment mabe we still can meet. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Yeah, agreed. I've walked both routes. Neither that bad. I'd do it again tomorrow with no prep.
That's a good video. Helps dispel any myths about its difficulty to any prospective pilgrims who may get discouraged to walk it due to exaggerations.
Mind you, there are always idiots that try to walk it in bad weather such as snowstorms.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Mike , like yourself I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles when I was 65 back in 2010, in about 6-7 hours on the Napoleon , seven years before that I had a double by pass opp,I am going to do it again 1st of July for my big 70, I will do it again, like you say it is no big deal, and I think 90% of it is in your mind anyway.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually...we should admit that it is pretty hard to walk uphill for 25 odd km on your first day. Hard... in that it is not a walk in the park.
The people with the most difficulty are often those who are greatly overloaded with things they "might need".
They are also carrying a huge fear of the route in their minds due to the over exaggerations that we see.
Weather is, of course, a different matter.
Start early and pace yourself.....or for piece of mind...just start in Roncesvalles.
Don't let it be a big part of your worries. Hundreds do it every day. Some of us are even "older people" someone mentioned above. :cool:

Hello - there are often a lot of questions about the difficulty of the crossing from St Jean to Roncesvalles and I thought I would add my two penneth worth for anyone searching in the future.

Last autumn I walked the Camino Frances. I was due to start from St Jean but I became increasing nervous about the climb and I think in the end I convinced myself I couldnt do it. I changed my plans at the last minute and started from Roncesvalles. I made it to Santiago but there was not a day on my walk where I didn't regret my decision.

This year I had the chance to walk again and decided I would start from St Jean and walk the Napolean route. I arrived at St Jean (by car) at midday and made an advance booking at Orisson. This allowed me to start walking the first day and also allowed me to break the journey. I was a tad complaicent with my training over the winter so I wasn't as fit as I should have been but I stepped out of the car and on to the camino and it felt like coming home.

The first few kilometres were wonderful but when I got to Hunto (5km mark) I started to feel the steepness of the climb! The following three kilometres were very hard! I can tell you though I nearly skipped to Orisson when I saw it... I dont think I've ever felt so happy to see a albergue/refuge!

The evening at Orisson was wonderful - a great communal meal and a chance to meet your fellow pilgrims.

I was apprehensive of the walk to Roncesvalles the next day - we had rain, sleet, fog and snow and it was freezing cold but I have to say I never felt it was too hard or indeed as difficult as the 3km from Hunto to Orisson. I'd even say I really enojoyed the walk.

I dont want to give the impression this stage is easy but I will say that my own fears got the better of me the first time... so if you want to walk from St Jean go for it, you wont regret your decision. If you're ready for the camino you'll be ready for the climb... and book into Orisson and enjoy the rest if you're not sure about going over in one hit.

I hear what you are saying,BUT be assure the Pyrenees is one of the beauties of the Camino - a really high point,yes fisical as well,but awesome - If you haven't done the Pyrenees,you haven't done the Camino - Buen Camino

The difficulty of that stage depends HUGELY on the weather of the day. As I crossed the Pyrenees last year I had already done 2,500km on foot and it was my hardest stage due to the very strong winds. If Orrisson would have been open, I would have stayed there ... SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The difficulty of that stage depends HUGELY on the weather of the day. As I crossed the Pyrenees last year I had already done 2,500km on foot and it was my hardest stage due to the very strong winds.SY
We met on the hill to Orisson last year! I had planned to take TWO days via Valcarlos, thinking that at 66 I should be "sensible." However, my youthful optimism prevailed and I went over the Napoleon to Roncesvalles in one day. It took about 9 hours plus 30 minutes of breaks. I was very tired at the end, and you are right that the wind was the hardest part, but all in all it was NOT nearly as bad as I'd feared! Fortunately it was dry and a comfortable walking temperature - I totally agree that the weather is critical. For that day, I only carried about 2-3 kg, which helped a lot. I saw people struggling with the weight of their packs and was very happy not to have that.

I'm going in October 2015 again. I will check the weather and do the Valcarlos route (stopping at Valcarlos) if the weather is wet or cold. If the weather is fine, I'll probably go over the Napoleon, staying in Orisson if it is open. I may send things by transport to Roncesvalles, as well. Although I only have 6.5 km in total and normally would carry it, that is my compromise for the first day (or two), especially when I'm jet-lagged.

And elsewhere on the way ;-) Are you planning to go the first or second half of October? And don't forget to shoot me a message if and when you are in Prague next time! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are definitely some folks who have responded that have walked some miles. From my lifetime of hiking in mountains the best advice is try to prepare by hiking in as high of altitude as you can, if it is not available simply consider booking ahead for Orison.
For those of us living in the mountains it is not too difficult, but I was glad I had done some training prior to beginning. As stated on an earlier post it is the weather that makes the crossing much more difficult or dangerous. If you have no experience in the back country or in northern climates , simply take the advice of the people in SJPDP.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too was very apprehensive about the Napoleon Route in Sept 2013 and convinced myself to get a lift part way up the road from Express Bouricot. However, looking up at that wonderful scenery from St Jean it just seemed to good to see from inside a car so compromised. Express took my rucksack to Orisson and I had what turned out to be one of the best walks of my life. Took loads of time - and spent a good part helping a lady I came across in tears as her pack was way way too heavy especially on a hot sunny day. The next day pack sent on to Roncesvalles again allowing a more relaxed walk. Best thing I did that camino. No need to make things hard at the start as you can carry your pack the rest of the way. It can be wild and windy and unforgiving but you need to use your own common sense, don't do anything daft but also don't deprive yourself of one of the highlights of the camino.
BTW, I was just browsing through my photos of this section the other day and in particular the ones of those amazing sturdy horses in the Pyrenees. I wanted to know more about them and was a bit taken aback to read that they were used 'mainly for meat'!

Katy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You might need to clarify that for me, whariwharangi.

My understanding is Charlemagne's campaign was to turn the Muslim advance into Europe from Spain. Roland may have lost his battle but the Muslim advance was stopped. Advance 700 years of war to 1492 and Spain becomes one nation under a Catholic Monarch and the Muslim Caliphate based in Granada is expunged. Roland's battle at Roncesvalles was a small but critical strategic turning point.

My understanding is Charlemagne's campaign was to turn the Muslim advance into Europe from Spain. Roland may have lost his battle but the Muslim advance was stopped. Advance 700 years of war to 1492 and Spain becomes one nation under a Catholic Monarch and the Muslim Caliphate based in Granada is expunged. Roland's battle at Roncesvalles was a small but critical strategic turning point.

Only it wasn't the Muslims that attacked him, based on recent research, it was the Basques and the reason was that Charlemagne's army had destroyed Pamplona, not a Muslim town, whilst passing through. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Roncevaux_Pass#The_retreat
SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I walked in March so Orisson was not an option. I found this walk to be somewhat difficult, especially the downhill into Roncesvalles. It took me 8 hours and 40 minutes. That includes a lunch break and a few other rest breaks along the way. I had done no training and was 60 years old at the time. I would recommend to anyone, with any concerns, facing this decision to stop in Orisson. Many doing this walk are recovering from jet lag and are not mountain walkers. Ease yourself into the walk and meet fellow Pilgrims at Orisson. The next days walk to Roncesvalles will be much more relaxed and enjoyable, imo. This is the steepest prolonged walk on the Frances.

Ultreya,
Joe

There are a lot of good comments in this thread.

We're 1/2 through the Camino now. We made it through the Valcarlos route, but have met many pilgrims whose entire Camino experience was marred by the blisters and foot problems caused by the Napoleon route. Now that we're in the midst of it, we've met a lot of Europeans who started in Pamploma and Burgos and are happy as can be.

I'm not sure where the idea that St. Jean Pied de Port is the only valid starting point came from. When we were there, it was almost entirely people from the US.

Everyone walks their own Camino.

SJPdP probably was the point of origin because Europeans can get there easily. Nearby Ostabat, a town without transportation access, is the intersection of several French caminos. Early German and French guidebooks started there. The CSJ picked it as the starting point for English guides (Raju). Brierley picked it as the starting point. This Forum takes it as a given, though many rebel against it.

Spaniards are half the pilgrims. They never thought of SJPdP as the starting point. Last year, only about 12% of pilgrims receiving compostelas started in SJPdP.

You are right about the myth of SJPdP!:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Only it wasn't the Muslims that attacked him,
SY
SY, this exchange is beginning to remind me of a scene in a movie I once saw. It had the President of the US visiting Spain, sitting round a table with a group of peregrinos discussing this very topic! :)
(PS. At last I've found the smileys!)

Actually a similar scene is shown in the movie "The Way", only without the American president ;-) Sometimes even popular media get it right occasionally ;-) SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oops, that you get for not being a native TV watcher. I know of both but never connected them in Peregrinopauls post. Sorry, stupid German here. SY

But I do love the West Wing scene about biblical commandments in today's world based on the letter to Laura Schlesinger ...

Ah, the history of the world according to Basque legend. It is a wonderful story of unwritten myths about who was fighting whom for whatever reason since the beginning of time. Roland was a giant, Roland slayed a giant, the Moors destroyed Pamplona, Roland drove the Moors from Spain, etc. Yet you will find highway signage in Arabic in Pays Basque attesting to a number of very wonderful Muslims living here who can trace their family history back to the caliphate 12 centuries ago, about 500 years before the discovery of the New World (unless you accept the fact that Basque discovered North America many years earlier) which was around 1000 years before the independence of the USA.

I walked the Route Napoleon in 2011 from SJPdP to Roncevalles, I won't admit to how long it took but I will admit I did it with zero training and then walked to Larrasoana on my second day. Not recommended if you cherish the health of your feet!
I walked the Route Napoleon in 2014 and stopped at Orisson, I had a reservation, and I would recommend it to anyone who plans to start in SJPdP. If you fail to get a reservation the Val Carlos route is just as awesome and there are more resources available if you walk that way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The American Indians don't get credit for crossing the Bering land bridge and settling two continents coast to coast about 12,000 years before Columbus?
Wait. This thread started about being nervous about Crossing over at the Napolean Route from SJPP and turned into a history debate. Humans are wonderful story tellers, and History is the telling of stories. Depending on whose table you are dining at, you may hear the story about Roland or Hiawatha or President Martin Sheen in your host's own language, with their specific twist on it. I'll listen to them all with a grain of salt if you'll pass the butter please.

Wait. This thread started about being nervous about Crossing over at the Napolean Route from SJPP and turned into a history debate. Humans are wonderful story tellers, and History is the telling of stories. Depending on whose table you are dining at, you may hear the story about Roland or Hiawatha or President Martin Sheen in your host's own language, with their specific twist on it. I'll listen to them all with a grain of salt if you'll pass the butter please.

In particular as it stems from a tongue-in-cheek remark I made that was intended to make light of the difficulty of the crossing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some of the previous commentators appear to be from the'blow your own trumpet' brigade.
Who cares if it takes 6 or 12 hours to cross the Pyrenees,the important thing is to know your strengths and limitations.
I travelled from SJPDP to Orisson ,then on the next day to Roncesvalles and I found both days hard.(April 2015) particularly as it was raining and windy when I left the road for the Col.
If you are practiced walker,fit and healthy you could do it in one, no problem,but why take the risk if unsure.

Some of the previous commentators appear to be from the'blow your own trumpet' brigade.
In their defense (and I am firmly in the "quit; don't keep walking" brigade), they are trying to provide encouragement to those in doubt. I agree with you that those in doubt should be willing to take it easy, and not rise to a challenge made by those who are fit. Many of us have opined on trying to walk the Camino at the pace of others. It usually has bad results. I won't do it for more than five minutes anymore!

I did a lot of agonizing about the climb to Orrison in my preparation to walk this may. I am very obese and not terribly fit either but I felt driven to make the attempt. For me the challenge of my Camino was not har far or how fast I could walk ... Nor even was getting to Santiago my entire focus ... In fact I don't think I AILL make it all the way and that's perfectly fine for me. bUT I DID make the climb to Orrison and I made it! Hardest thing I have ever done or probably ever do ... The first 5_6 km we fairly easy ... Hard but not so much that I was overly concerned ...in fact I think I was joking most of the way ... At hunts however things got progressively difficult. I think folks passing me were concerned I was in trouble .... I wasn't but I WAS pacing myself. I walked telephone pole to telephone pole ( sometimes less) then I would stop, lean on my poles until I caught my breath ... Then do it again .... And again ... At the top of the switchback I kept telling myself that the next rise would begin the descent into Orrison ... I was wrong ... So I would aim at the NEXT rise ... I sat every chance I had to rest my back ... I was completely drained by Kayla but told myself I could make it another 800 meters ... One short section at a time ... When I rounded the last corner and saw Orrison ... I cried from joy .... As I stumbled in ... Everyone who had passed me earlier cheered .... Yeah I was THAT pilgrim .. The one no one thought would make it ... But I did ... Went into a bit of mild shock at the top but a banana and a hot shower revived me ... That evening was one of the best evenings in my life. I had done it without my pack and it took me at least 6 hours ... So not easy ... In fact probably much harder for me than anyone else who climbed that day ... So I feel a little proud of my accomplishment. Now I never have to do it again .... Oh I did cheat the next day and took a cab to Roncesvalles ... Nothing left to prove and I wanted to save my knees the agony so I could continue walking. I will say this though .. My training prior to the Camino may not have made my climb any easier stamina wise ... But it DID prepare my muscles and knees and back for it ... I suffered NO muscle strain or weariness either on the climb nor the next day ... The only issue I had was stamina carrying my body up a very very steep hill .... No amount of training can overcome that required effort but it can make the journey at least a tiny bit easier ... So train. Train, train over hills ... Lots of them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
One bit of advice though .... I think I blew through my early energy reserves rather quickly and while I drank all the way up I think some high energy snacks might have helped with energy reserves. Once you use up the reserves in your muscles your body has to go to harder to access en Ray sources .... Having some high sugar snacks like chocolate might ease the load a bit .... I wish I had thought of that earlier. Plan ahead.

One bit of advice though .... I think I blew through my early energy reserves rather quickly and while I drank all the way up I think some high energy snacks might have helped with energy reserves. Once you use up the reserves in your muscles your body has to go to harder to access en Ray sources .... Having some high sugar snacks like chocolate might ease the load a bit .... I wish I had thought of that earlier. Plan ahead.
CHOCOLATE!!! Mysticl you are my hero! Not only did you achieve the climb with great will and good humor, you reminded us of the healing power of Chocolate! Now if you had said that carrying red wine in your left water bottle to go with the chocolate would help even more, I'd be your friend for life! I'd...I'd...paint your house! We improve our own view of ourselves on the Way, gain confidence and find strength we didn't know we had. I hope my walk up from St. Jean is as eye opening as yours. Your courage is awesome. Keep on Truckin'!

Chocolate seemed to take on magical properties on the Camino and What an excuse to eat it! I don't know about red wine Coleen but I did take to carrying some 'fresh' orange juice in one of my water bottles, extra easily absorbed sugar and a bit of vitamin C!
I'm anxiously awaiting a reply from Orisson and hope to be there on the 18th of September? I was fortunate enough to cross the Route Napolean two years ago again in September and find myself inexplicably drawn back again this year???
Last time I walked 9 hours with only a 20 minute break in there to Roncesvalles, I loved the walk but I cannot walk fast and I am small with short legs!! However it was the pack that slowed me down, I hadn't trained enough with it. Lesson learned! This year I will stay in Orisson if I am able and/or send on my pack.
I was so excited last time I swear adrenaline kept me going for at least a couple of hours I felt so blessed and fortunate to be actually on the Camino after many years dreaming about it. I was nervous too as you can't really know how the Camino feels till you're there, to me it feels like........bliss!
Sarah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The difficulty of that stage depends HUGELY on the weather of the day. As I crossed the Pyrenees last year I had already done 2,500km on foot and it was my hardest stage due to the very strong winds. If Orrisson would have been open, I would have stayed there ... SY
Wow SYates - now that is a walk!! Congratulations - I am so impressed.

My first walk over the Route Napoleon was when I was 60, my last (so far) was when I was 70 (with a couple in between). The first one was much harder for me partly because I had no idea what to expect and partly because I had gotten up off my office chair to do this walk and partly because the wind was blowing strongly in our faces . It actually knocked me right over onto my butt at one point into 6 inches of mud. All a great adventure!

I love that walk - and although I doubt that I'll walk the Camino Frances again, everytime I plan for a different route I keep wanting to fit that trip up over the Route Napoleon into the journey. But I always have stayed part way up. On my first journey Orisson didn't exist yet so I stayed at Hunto, but have stayed at Orisson 3 times.
One good thing about being older is that we seem not to have to rush anywhere anymore so it make sit easier to stay healthy.

Buen Camino to all of this year's walkers.
CHOCOLATE!!! Mysticl you are my hero! Not only did you achieve the climb with great will and good humor, you reminded us of the healing power of Chocolate! Now if you had said that carrying red wine in your left water bottle to go with the chocolate would help even more, I'd be your friend for life! I'd...I'd...paint your house! We improve our own view of ourselves on the Way, gain confidence and find strength we didn't know we had. I hope my walk up from St. Jean is as eye opening as yours. Your courage is awesome. Keep on Truckin'!
Hey Colleen, My house really needs to be painted. I'll provide constant chocolate and red wine if you'll come and paint it. I live in the forest, on a 5 acre lot, up a two mile hill if that helps.:);):p:rolleyes:

Hey Colleen, My house really needs to be painted. I'll provide constant chocolate and red wine if you'll come and paint it. I live in the forest, on a 5 acre lot, up a two mile hill if that helps.:);):p:rolleyes:
I'm sorry. You've reached Coleen's voicemail. She's practicing her walking skills for a Camino in August. For house painting services press one. For wine or chocolate reviews press two. For motherly advice and wisdom press three. All other issues, press four.

SJPP to Roncesvalles is completely doable and the sense of accomplishment is amazing when you finish. Though a word of caution: I highly recommend trekking poles and having practiced a long distance hike in a fully loaded pack before attempting it. I'm 21 years old in good health and have never had knee problems before (though I'm not as fit as I could be). I'm currently having to take a break in Pamplona after developing tendinitis from the uphill then downhill in to Roncesvalles from the Napolean Route. I don't regret my decision to walk it just my lack of preparedness for the high level of difficulty. So be prepared and strengthen your quads and other muscle that support your knees prior to departing and your camino will be a much more enjoyable experience for it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SJPP to Roncesvalles is completely doable and the sense of accomplishment is amazing when you finish. Though a word of caution: I highly recommend trekking poles and having practiced a long distance hike in a fully loaded pack before attempting it. I'm 21 years old in good health and have never had knee problems before (though I'm not as fit as I could be). I'm currently having to take a break in Pamplona after developing tendinitis from the uphill then downhill in to Roncesvalles from the Napolean Route. I don't regret my decision to walk it just my lack of preparedness for the high level of difficulty. So be prepared and strengthen your quads and other muscle that support your knees prior to departing and your camino will be a much more enjoyable experience for it.
Sorry to hear about your tendinitis. Hope you soon recover well enough to continue. I too, developed tendinitis, but not until three weeks into my Camino - who would have thought it after walking uphill and down for so long? I'm not saying this relates to you, but somewhere on the forum it was suggested that not keeping well hydrated might make one more prone to tendinitis. So be careful.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back