• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New and no clue

PilgJim

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Buenos Dias. I have wanted to walk The Way for many years now. Me and 2 friends have decided to do it May 2024. Have a good idea of what we want to do but one question I have is this. We just want to walk and have luggage dropped off at next town. Are there any recommendations of companies that arrange luggage transport and secured lodging each night. We are doing the Camino Frances starting in Sarria.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We used Correos for bag transport the last few days. I arranged our lodging myself. There are many options, but You need to stay only at places where Correos delivers. Not all places do accept bag transporation. There is a drop down menu for each town that lets you know which lodging establishments work with Correos.

Buenos Dias. I have wanted to walk The Way for many years now. Me and 2 friends have decided to do it May 2024. Have a good idea of what we want to do but one question I have is this. We just want to walk and have luggage dropped off at next town. Are there any recommendations of companies that arrange luggage transport and secured lodging each night. We are doing the Camino Frances starting in Sarria.
@trecile compiled a list here of bag transport companies

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, every albergue I stayed in had this service. Dont even bother researching beforehand.

Sarria to Santiago is only about a week long walk, if that. Plenty of albergues to choose from, and you won't need much in the way of equipment with that short of a time frame. If you're not injured, consider carrying your pack and utilizing gronze.com (or guidebook/app of choice) to see what accommodations are available. It's so easy to do one one's own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just curious - why don't you want to carry your backpack?
It shouldn't matter. It's a personal choice.
I have two torn rotator cuffs so I won't be carrying my pack again next season.
I've had people challenge me on the Camino before about not carrying my pack, usually young strong people. I figure after carrying my own pack for so many years, at 71, I feel I've earned the right to pack transport if I want it and honestly, it's really nobody else's business.

In answer to the OP's question, there are a LOT of companies you can hire to book your lodging and arrange your pack transport. A google search will pull them up. You might get on a Facebook page like Camino de Santiago All Routes and ask for recommendations, but be prepared for self-righteous preaching about how you "should" be carrying your own pack. Just ignore them is my suggestion. If you're booking privates, it's not an issue.

Sarria to Santiago is only about a week long walk, if that. Plenty of albergues to choose from, and you won't need much in the way of equipment with that short of a time frame
I bring the same gear whether I'm walking for two days, two weeks, or two months.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also be aware that some locations and transport vendors will not accept or transport suitcases if that is what you are referring to as "luggage". This is a relatively new thing in the last year or so. There seems to be no trouble with backpacks being accepted although there is often a weight limit.

Be aware that there is an accountability issue with the transport services. There is no contract between you and your lodgings so they cannot be held responsible for loss. Your baggage might disappear before the transport service arrives to pick it up or after it is delivered. At times the baggage is picked up or delivered outdoors.

Be aware that there is an accountability issue with the transport services. There is no contract between you and your lodgings so they cannot be held responsible for loss. Your baggage might disappear before the transport service arrives to pick it up or after it is delivered. At times the baggage is picked up or delivered outdoors.
It's a good idea to put an Air tag or Tile tracker in any bag that you have transported.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a good idea to put an Air tag or Tile tracker in any bag that you have transported.
I recommend two. I think they are sold in sets anyway. Hide one very well, maybe sewn behind a patch and the other in a somewhat obvious place. If a thief finds the obvious one and throws it away he may not look for the hidden one. To do double duty you may want the easy to find one registered on a family member's phone and they can use it to follow your travels.

Check out this forum thread:

@PilgJim If you type "Camino Frances" into Godgle and hit return you will find some 20 companies offering guided and concierged Caminos. Pick any and insert the name into this lovely forum's search facility and you'll find plenty of comment to help you make a choice.

Many members will encourage you to "do it yourself" but if you don't want to do that there are plenty of providers. Grumpy old Tinkers like me won't use them because I'd rather squander my money on good wine and Orujo. I gather that Correos (the Spanish postal service, link provided @2 above) provide an excellent baggage transport service. Again grumpy old Tinkers won't use them because I like to have a change of underpants and a tooth-brush with me at all times. A change of underpants and a tooth-brush are about all you'll need between Sarria and Santiago unless you are planning on dressing for dinner.

Just one thing to be aware of: if you actually want to walk "The Way" you'll need some motorised transport to flick you back and forth between locations some of which aren't actually on the Camino Frances ;)

While they have no obligation to protect your bag, we stayed at a place this summer which did keep our bags safe in a closet. Another put our bags in our room before arrival. Others just had our bag laying out front as you suggest where anyone could pick it up.

This year was my first experience with bag transport. Correos did a relatively good job. I still prefer to carry my own, but when traveling with someone who requires the service I would likely chose them again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It shouldn't matter. It's a personal choice.
I have two torn rotator cuffs so I won't be carrying my pack again next season.
I've had people challenge me on the Camino before about not carrying my pack, usually young strong people. I figure after carrying my own pack for so many years, at 71, I feel I've earned the right to pack transport if I want it and honestly, it's really nobody else's business.
Annie, you know I agree with you! It doesn't matter!
I think there are MANY good reasons to not carry your own backpack, as many as there are pilgrims. Perhaps there is only one poor reason to not carry your backpack - fear.
Just thinking, and honestly no judgement to OP.
I hate young, strong people - JKJK!! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.