• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New annual record number of Compostelas already reached today

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The cathedral and the Xunta have marked a new annual record number of Compostelas with a small official welcome and presentation for the 438,308th pilgrim to receive a Compostela this year. A 79 year old man originally from Logrono but now resident in Huelva who had walked over 1,000km from Malaga. Breaking last year's record annual total with several weeks of the year still to run.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good for Señor Borrás, and nice to see that it went to a long-distance pilgrim.
Another report from La Voz de Galicia says that he walked 1,250km and finished the route on the Camino Frances from Astorga - encountering snow at O Cebreiro on the way. An inspiring journey!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
1,250 km in 31 days (from Oct 13 to Nov 12), roughly 40 km/day, by a 79 years old person. It's inspiring/motivating!
There is some video of Jose Manuel at the presentation on another news website. Looking remarkably fit and well for a man of his age. All that exercise really must be good for you! :)

1250 km in 31 days is amazing! That's an average of more than 40 km per day for an entire month, more than I can handle! A few years ago, I walked the Via de la Plata (from Seville) in 38 days (only 1008 km). On that Camino, I remember walking a few days with a Spanish pilgrim from Mallorca, also aged about 78 or 79 at the time, and he was in much better shape than me having walked Caminos his entire life.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The cathedral and the Xunta have marked a new annual record number of Compostelas with a small official welcome and presentation for the 438,308th pilgrim to receive a Compostela this year. A 79 year old man originally from Logrono but now resident in Huelva who had walked over 1,000km from Malaga. Breaking last year's record annual total with several weeks of the year still to run.

I'm arriving on December 31 if walking goes as planned and understand that I will get my Compostela at the Cathedral. I'm somewhat curious if there will be a reverse line of sorts of Pilgrims who want to be the last person this year to receive their Compostela.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
get my Compostela at the Cathedral
No. You will be able to obtain your Compostela at the Pilgrims Office on Rúa Carretas, nº33. A few minutes walk from the Cathedral. The PO is closed on New Years day, the 1st January, as it is on Christmas Day. On those days you can obtain your Compostela from the Cathedral

Last edited:
No. You will be able to obtain your Compostela at the Pilgrims Office on Rúa Carretas, nº33. A few minutes walk from the Cathedral
Ah, I thought the Office was closed on the 31st. Thanks for the correction.

Of course, the question still stands -- will there be jostling for being the last Pilgrim of the year?

Ah, I thought the Office was closed on the 31st. Thanks for the correction.

Of course, the question still stands -- will there be jostling for being the last Pilgrim of the year?
That'll depend. I can imagine a small crowd of pilgrims milling around outside the PO as the clock ticks towards 6pm. The constant exchanges: "after you", "Después de usted", "Après vous", "אחריך", "Nach Ihnen", etc, etc. I can imagine a bit of elbowing occurring; a bit of pushing and shoving. I can imagine Security getting nervous...

But I have a very vivid imagination and a profound belief in absurdity.

Turn up at the PO at 17:59 on 31 December and all you are likely to encounter is a volunteer who just wants to go home and get ready to party

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for this video and post. Doing the Podiensis and Frances back to back when ill be 70 in 2026 seems even more doable. I can show this to family and friends who think its a crazy idea.
Doing the same God willing this upcoming mid August to mid October. Can’t wait. Don’t let anyone call you “crazy.” 😉🤪😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.