• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New here - and excited!

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Hello! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, am originally from New York City, in my 50s, active enough.

The Camino de Santiago has been floating through my mind for 18 years since I last had a chunk of time off and wanted to do some kind of pilgrimage, whatever I thought that meant. A distant friend mentioned the Camino to me, which I'd never heard of before, and my first thought was, "But I'm not Catholic!" (I know now that that doesn't matter.) I ended up going to Romania to do Habitat for Humanity instead, which was its own very special trip.

This past summer, I was in a weeks-long conference wherein we started and ended each day with a check-in/check-out that always had an optional "getting to know you" kind of question. One day the question was something along the lines, "What is something you'd like to do someday?" And I surprised myself by saying, "Walk the Camino de Santiago without getting blisters."

I did not expect that three months later here I would be on this forum, writing my first post to you all.

I'm hoping to walk in June or Sept/October 2022. I have many questions to ask, and can tell you much more about myself and my preferences. Should I do that here or in another spot on the forum (or in both spots)?

So excited and grateful to be here!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum @Embee12.

This is is a rich resource for information on almost any Camino subject you have questions about.
Before you ask, try using the search functionality because just about any question you might have has been answered at some point.
If on the other hand, you’re looking for support you’re in the right place.
Have a good time dreaming and planning. We’re all here with you.
Buen Camino,
Paul

Welcome to the forum. You will probably find yourself spending way more time here than you expected!

Feel free to ask any questions, but I'll warn you that you might get more answers than you wanted, and even some replies that you don't like. Don't let that put you off! We are just a group of different personalities with different preferences and we're not afraid to say so!
Should I do that here or in another spot on the forum (or in both spots)?
This is a good place to ask general questions, or you can also post in the forum on General Planning and Preparation.
"Walk the Camino de Santiago without getting blisters."
You can certainly learn how to reduce the chances of blisters, and how to treat them if you do get them. (I haven't done a Camino yet without getting a couple, but I've learned how to keep them as a minor annoyance.)

The Search is useful, but sometimes doesn't address your particular circumstances. If you start on the main list of Forums here, you can scroll down to see all the main categories as well as lot of sub-forums.

If you have questions about how to use the forum, ask here and we'll try to help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do we smell and snore here too? 🤣
No, the washing and bathroom facilities are better (hygiene is enforced by the moderators), snores are not heard, but the welcome and shared meals (food photos galore) are just as good.

Michelle will get all the advice she needs, plus a lot she can probably do without!

Hi Embee12!
Welcome and good luck with your planning!
Lots of help on here it's a great forum.
The itch wont go away until you walk, and when you've walked;the itch will come back!! (well it will for most i imagine!)
Been home 4 weeks;i started looking at the possibility of the French way or maybe the English way and Fisterre Muxia next year after being home just over a week! I loved the journey so much; i just want to go back!
Buen Camino
Woody

Welcome to the Forum. The folks here have been great in planning our camino. We did part of the Camino Frances this past October. Ask any questions. I will try to answer. There are wonderful/helpful people on this forum. Thanks again everyone for helping us! We are planning our next time one and I have already ask for ideas!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, am originally from New York City, in my 50s, active enough.

The Camino de Santiago has been floating through my mind for 18 years since I last had a chunk of time off and wanted to do some kind of pilgrimage, whatever I thought that meant. A distant friend mentioned the Camino to me, which I'd never heard of before, and my first thought was, "But I'm not Catholic!" (I know now that that doesn't matter.) I ended up going to Romania to do Habitat for Humanity instead, which was its own very special trip.

This past summer, I was in a weeks-long conference wherein we started and ended each day with a check-in/check-out that always had an optional "getting to know you" kind of question. One day the question was something along the lines, "What is something you'd like to do someday?" And I surprised myself by saying, "Walk the Camino de Santiago without getting blisters."

I did not expect that three months later here I would be on this forum, writing my first post to you all.

I'm hoping to walk in June or Sept/October 2022. I have many questions to ask, and can tell you much more about myself and my preferences. Should I do that here or in another spot on the forum (or in both spots)?

I have walked one Camino in 2019 when I was 54 and will be going again next April / May as the weather suits me best then. What a brilliant thing to do. You will have a blast. It might be an interesting life re-set.

I am Catholic but, as you say that isn’t particularly important. I don’t recall having a single religious discussion on my Camino, except in a bar with a priest who was an absolute hoot!

There’s a YouTuber called Angela Morelli whose daily videos will give you fantastic insight into what it’s going to be like.

You will find amazing information on this forum about food, practices, training, food dos and dont’s, etc.

You might be able to help me with one thing. I live in London but will be in Seattle and San Francisco on my way back from a conference in Hawaii in mid-January. Where would be good to put in a couple of days on the trail?

Buen Camino, Chris

If you are on facebook, you may also find the "CAMIGAS ~ A Buddy System for Women on the Camino" group helpful. There are SO many resources to plan your own Camino. Some tools that I found helpful when first diving in: watching vlogs and info videos on YouTube of those that have travelled (Efrén and Wanderlusting Lawyer), google searches on many topics, buying guide books and a large map of northern Spain, looking at route profile on https://godesalco.com/, watching Camino related movies on Netflix/Amazon Prime, and staying connected/searching this forum as well as the Camiga forum. Enjoy! It's wonderful!!

The best advice I have read for preventing blisters is John Vonhof's book "Fixing your Feet. . . " available at REI for $20. Get the 6th or 7th editions, which have the latest information on how blisters are formed. Not what you might have thought. Vonhof encourages the use of Engo patches, placed inside your boot or shoe to reduce friction. I have now used these on 3 Caminos and while I still get a small blister or two I seem to get many less than my fellow peregrinos. The book also contains lots of advice on footwear, socks, care of feet, even how to lace boots. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The best advice I have read for preventing blisters is John Vonhof's book "Fixing your Feet. . . " available at REI for $20. Get the 6th or 7th editions, which have the latest information on how blisters are formed. Not what you might have thought. Vonhof encourages the use of Engo patches, placed inside your boot or shoe to reduce friction. I have now used these on 3 Caminos and while I still get a small blister or two I seem to get many less than my fellow peregrinos. The book also contains lots of advice on footwear, socks, care of feet, even how to lace boots. Buen Camino.
Can I second how good this book is in making you aware of how to avoid getting a blister and how methodical preparation is everything.

I didn’t have a blister on my Camino and I am sure that good foot, shoe and sock preparation and testing was the reason.

I am a new member and have found the people in this forum to be incredibly helpful. All the best in your planning. Bien Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congrats on taking the first step of your Camino (and you thought that would be in Europe!!!).

Quick advice: #1: Listen to all opinions and then sort out the ones that do not work for you - the Camino is not one-size-fits-all. #2: Start walking today! Walk as you read this, then walk some more. Walk up hills and down valleys, on concrete and asphalt and wooded paths and very other type of surface. #3: Know that you’ve got this, just like the hundreds of thousands who have walked it each year before you. You are capable of it if you prepare yourself mentally, emotionally, and physically. And finally, #4: ENJOY IT!!!!

Ultreia!

Welcome, pilgrim! (You have started now).

The search function in the upper right corner is your friend. But by all means, create a new post if you don't find the answers. This place is overflowing with experience. This is a large bunch of Caminoholics..

And as the song goes: You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...

Have you chosen which route you will be taking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Welcome! I just finished Camino del Norte via Camino Ingles. I switched to Ingles after arriving at Ribadeo because from there on it's walking inland all the way. Blisters don't have to happen. I haven't gotten a blister during my last 6 Caminos. I believe each person has to find out what works for him or her. This forum can offer you a wealth of information. Good luck to you.
Mera

Oh as an added bonus, the Holy Year of 2021 is extended till 2022. Whoever completes walking the Camino during the Holy Year gets a total parden of all sins that he or she ever commited. The last Holy Year was in 2010, and the next one will be in 2027, 2032 ... so on. Please don't think that I am implying you are a sinful person in any way, just a F.Y.I.

Oh as an added bonus, the Holy Year of 2021 is extended till 2022. Whoever completes walking the Camino during the Holy Year gets a total parden of all sins that he or she ever commited. The last Holy Year was in 2010, and the next one will be in 2027, 2032 ... so on. Please don't think that I am implying you are a sinful person in any way, just a F.Y.I.
Mera, are you sure you’ve been pardoned? As far as I can tell from your profile photo you are a goat!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mera, are you sure you’ve been pardoned? As far as I can tell from your profile photo you are a goat!
Thanks! It's my first laugh of the day since yesterday. I am here at the Madrid airport. My first time flying Iberian Airlines, their online process was very annoying or impossible. I was beginning to think either they are still using DOS programming language or the web designer is from the middle ages. I love Spain but not their IT as much. I ended up arriving 5 hours before the drparture just to make sure I get to fly. After reading your comment I am now relaxed and happy. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome! I've been swamped these past days since I first wrote with work and sundry, and will get back shortly in response to some questions you've posed, and many ideas percolating. In the meantime, though, I wanted you all to know how much your replies mean to me, and make me feel like I'm on the write path (as it were). :)

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. You will probably find yourself spending way more time here than you expected!

Feel free to ask any questions, but I'll warn you that you might get more answers than you wanted, and even some replies that you don't like. Don't let that put you off! We are just a group of different personalities with different preferences and we're not afraid to say so!

This is a good place to ask general questions, or you can also post in the forum on General Planning and Preparation.

You can certainly learn how to reduce the chances of blisters, and how to treat them if you do get them. (I haven't done a Camino yet without getting a couple, but I've learned how to keep them as a minor annoyance.)

The Search is useful, but sometimes doesn't address your particular circumstances. If you start on the main list of Forums here, you can scroll down to see all the main categories as well as lot of sub-forums.

If you have questions about how to use the forum, ask here and we'll try to help.
C clearly: Yes, I can see spending way too much time here - and I'm sure I will! In efforts not to do so - at least not *yet* - I saved my responses until the end of my work week. We'll see how long that lasts!

Do we smell and snore here too? 🤣
I can handle smell (I have a teenager!), but snoring will be a problem as I have terrible insomnia and am a very particular sleeper, even in my own home. I know there are a variety of different types of accommodations, and I need to learn more about these. (Don't yet understand the difference between hostals, albergues, etc. I do want to socialize, walk and have dinner with others; alas, I will need to be sleeping in a private space, however modest.

I have walked one Camino in 2019 when I was 54 and will be going again next April / May as the weather suits me best then. What a brilliant thing to do. You will have a blast. It might be an interesting life re-set.

I am Catholic but, as you say that isn’t particularly important. I don’t recall having a single religious discussion on my Camino, except in a bar with a priest who was an absolute hoot!

There’s a YouTuber called Angela Morelli whose daily videos will give you fantastic insight into what it’s going to be like.

You will find amazing information on this forum about food, practices, training, food dos and dont’s, etc.

You might be able to help me with one thing. I live in London but will be in Seattle and San Francisco on my way back from a conference in Hawaii in mid-January. Where would be good to put in a couple of days on the trail?

Buen Camino, Chris
Chris: Thanks for all of the tips.

Actually, I like religious discussions. More broadly, though, I like existential and spiritual conversations...

As for stopping in SF: do you mean what area would you want to stay in, or what sites to see, or both?

I will get that book!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Congrats on taking the first step of your Camino (and you thought that would be in Europe!!!).

Quick advice: #1: Listen to all opinions and then sort out the ones that do not work for you - the Camino is not one-size-fits-all. #2: Start walking today! Walk as you read this, then walk some more. Walk up hills and down valleys, on concrete and asphalt and wooded paths and very other type of surface. #3: Know that you’ve got this, just like the hundreds of thousands who have walked it each year before you. You are capable of it if you prepare yourself mentally, emotionally, and physically. And finally, #4: ENJOY IT!!!!

Ultreia!
Thanks, Vacajoe! I do love walking. Always have. (I especially love walk on a warm sunny afternoon while wearing a dress and flip-flops - but I don't think that's gonna work on the Camino!) I love flat-ish be honest! - and don't love the ups and downs of hiking - so have to get myself adapted to that! I have a walk planned for tomorrow that has some heights to it... It's a start!

Oh, and thanks to for your PM - to which I'll respond - I checked out American Pilgrims in my area, and they have a monthly walk around Lake Merritt, which is not so far from where I live, so hope to do that at the start of December!

Last edited:
I can handle smell (I have a teenager!), but snoring will be a problem as I have terrible insomnia and am a very particular sleeper, even in my own home. I know there are a variety of different types of accommodations, and I need to learn more about these. (Don't yet understand the difference between hostals, albergues, etc. I do want to socialize, walk and have dinner with others; alas, I will need to be sleeping in a private space, however modest.
Hopefully you find a balance between all these things. Albergues are 'pilgrim hostels' with shared dorm rooms, but some also have private rooms which can be the best of both worlds, giving you the opportunity for shared dinners and/or kitchen/common room interaction but your own sleeping space. Hostals are essentially budget hotels, not hostels.

Have you chosen which route you will be taking?
Isn't that the big question! I've been focused on which timeframe to go during at the moment - June or September/October. There are pros and drawbacks to both of those for me. I will probably post an official question about that one.

As for routes, well, I'll have about 2-2.5 weeks, and I would like to get a compostela. I don't want anything too remote - at least not for my first walk. Because I like flatter terrain and am ambivalent about too much crowd (as on CF), I'm drawn to the Camino Portugues, starting I suppose in Porto. That said, the CF is becoming appealing to me, too, being iconic as it is. Not sure where I'd start if I took the CF. Not sure if it would be too crowded for me. Not sure I can handle the rigors (or want to handle the rigors). But it's all evolving.

Keep in mind that I'm only going through my reading, so I may not know at all what I'm talking about... that's what I need you all for... Input is welcome and/or I can post elsewhere and/or I know there are already some great threads about it, which I am in the process of reading.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of those three months, October is the clear winner. Great temperature and less crowds

And I surprised myself by saying, "Walk the Camino de Santiago without getting blisters."
Welcome!
Isn't it amazing what comes out of our mouths sometimes?

Your camino has begun - in this virtual albergue.
The search function is your friend, but feel free to post a thread if you have any specific questions. You'll get a ton of opinions, guaranteed. ;)
Buen camino, peregrina!

This forum thread will help you out. It goes far beyond what is asked in the title.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back