• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New here

LDennis

Time of past OR future Camino
May 14, 2022
Greetings from Northern Virginia,

My husband and I plan to walk the Comino from Sarria in mid-May. We're in our mid 50's both in relatively good shape, we hike 10-12 miles without any issue but we do plan to train some for the Comino. Suggestions welcomed! ;)

I would like to fly into Madrid then take a train to Sarria.

Question: What is the best way to get from the Madrid airport to the train station and is there more than one train to Sarria each day?

Of course, we'll need to return to Madrid for our return flight home after we complete the Comino in Santiago.

Thank you for any help, advice, suggestions!

Lesley

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You should aim for around 15-25 km per day a couple of weeks before you go Lesley. And try carrying your gear for some of those walks. It’ll be a permanent fixture on your Camino, unless you use transports for your backpack. You’ll shoo it in if you can walk 12 miles without hassle. I’m not a veteran pilgrim but I do know this much.
May is a good time.
Full of flowers.
Good luck.
It’s an experience.

Last edited:
we hike 10-12 miles without any issue but we do plan to train some for the Comino. Suggestions welcomed!
I doubt that you will have any problems but to be on the safe side do some of your hiking in the mountains. There are ups and downs on the way; nothing to worry about and not as bad as trails you can find in Shenandoah but you may as well walk prepared.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are hiking 10+ miles a day, you shouldn't have any issues from Sarria.

You can take a train directly from Madrid Airport (Terminal 4) to Chamartin Train Station. There are free shuttles to take you to T4 from wherever you land.

There are several (3-4) trains everyday from Chamartin to Sarria. Some require a change of trains and some are direct. The train system is pretty easy to navigate, so either way works. You can book tickets on the Renfe website a few weeks before your trip.

Welcome LDennis! If you can walk 10-12 miles without any problem then you are set to go. Don't know where in Norther Virginia you live but if you live anywhere near the Manassas Battlefields those are good practice grounds. That's where I practice (I live in Centreville). The mid Atlantic chapter is also doing some hikes; I think they have one this weekend. Also sign up for the shell ceremony in Feb.

Greetings from Northern Virginia,

My husband and I plan to walk the Comino from Sarria in mid-May. We're in our mid 50's both in relatively good shape, we hike 10-12 miles without any issue but we do plan to train some for the Comino. Suggestions welcomed! ;)

I would like to fly into Madrid then take a train to Sarria.

Question: What is the best way to get from the Madrid airport to the train station and is there more than one train to Sarria each day?

Of course, we'll need to return to Madrid for our return flight home after we complete the Comino in Santiago.

Thank you for any help, advice, suggestions!

Lesley
I have always flown from Santiago back to Madrid. Its always an interesting flight full of other pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For the train get the Renfe app. It is the phone app for the Spanish railway system also called Renfe. With it you can select your train time, select your seat and purchase your tickets. You can also do that online. With Renfe long distance tickets you get a free transfer from the Madrid Airport to the Chamartin train station, which is the one the train to Sarnia leaves from.

we hike 10-12 miles without any issue but we do plan to train some for the Comino
There is a bit of a difference between being able to hike 10-12 miles on weekend hikes, and walking the same distance (or more) on a daily basis on the Camino. Mostly having to do with your feet and blisters. Footwear that works well on weekend hikes may start to cause you problems from the repetitive rubbing day after day.
I always recommend that you do at least 3 consecutive days of walking 10 miles or more in the footwear that you plan to use on the Camino. Take a break every 3-6 miles, as you probably will on the Camino. Most importantly, pay attention to any hot spots that develop. When you feel a hot spot stop immediately and attend to it. My preferred method is to apply a thin flexible tape to the parts of my feet that are blister prone. I really like Omnifix and Hypafix tapes, both of which are widely available in farmacias in Spain. There are other strategies, like applying an anti-friction balm or Vaseline, or using liner socks. Use these training walks to determine what works best for you.

...and don't forget, if you're over 60, and before buying your train ticket, get the 6 euro Tarjeta Dorada. It'll make your trip a bit cheaper... ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome LDennis! If you can walk 10-12 miles without any problem then you are set to go. Don't know where in Norther Virginia you live but if you live anywhere near the Manassas Battlefields those are good practice grounds. That's where I practice (I live in Centreville). The mid Atlantic chapter is also doing some hikes; I think they have one this weekend. Also sign up for the shell ceremony in Feb.
Hi Rosalinda,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, we have hiked the Manassas Battlefields. We also have hiked a number of trails in Shenandoah National Park including Old Rag. I'm looking forward to being on this walk and just walking and allowing myself to just take in all that is around me and leave worries behind. I know, easier said than done but it may happen!
I have no idea what you are referring to by the mid-Atlanitc Chapter or the Shell Ceremony. Please share.

You should aim for around 15-25 km per day a couple of weeks before you go Lesley. And try carrying your gear for some of those walks. It’ll be a permanent fixture on your Camino, unless you use transports for your backpack. You’ll shoo it in if you can walk 12 miles without hassle. I’m not a veteran pilgrim but I do know this much. May is a good time. Full of flowers.
Good luck. It’s an experience.
Jimmy,

Thank you for your suggestion to walk 15-25 per day a couple of weeks prior to our departure. We may need to break that up since we still need to work but we may be able to make something happen!

There is a bit of a difference between being able to hike 10-12 miles on weekend hikes, and walking the same distance (or more) on a daily basis on the Camino. Mostly having to do with your feet and blisters. Footwear that works well on weekend hikes may start to cause you problems from the repetitive rubbing day after day.
I always recommend that you do at least 3 consecutive days of walking 10 miles or more in the footwear that you plan to use on the Camino. Take a break every 3-6 miles, as you probably will on the Camino. Most importantly, pay attention to any hot spots that develop. When you feel a hot spot stop immediately and attend to it. My preferred method is to apply a thin flexible tape to the parts of my feet that are blister prone. I really like Omnifix and Hypafix tapes, both of which are widely available in farmacias in Spain. There are other strategies, like applying an anti-friction balm or Vaseline, or using liner socks. Use these training walks to determine what works best for you.
Greetings,
Yes, I was wondering this myself so thank you for pointing out weekend hikes vs waking the Camino plus how we should train and what to look out for. I know there has been some talk about hiking boots vs hiking shoes. I'm still on the fence about this but plan to talk to some people at REI to gather additional information. ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For the train get the Renfe app. It is the phone app for the Spanish railway system also called Renfe. With it you can select your train time, select your seat and purchase your tickets. You can also do that online. With Renfe long distance tickets you get a free transfer from the Madrid Airport to the Chamartin train station, which is the one the train to Sarnia leaves from.
Thank you for this information!

I know there has been some talk about hiking boots vs hiking shoes. I'm still on the fence about this but plan to talk to some people at REI to gather additional information. ;-)
And don't rule out hiking sandals! That's what many of us prefer. 😊

Make sure that the REI staff that you talk to know that you will be using the shoes/boots/sandals on the Camino de Santiago - not on technical trails. You might find it interesting that most through hikers on the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail now use trail running shoes, rather than boots.

Greetings,
Yes, I was wondering this myself so thank you for pointing out weekend hikes vs waking the Camino plus how we should train and what to look out for. I know there has been some talk about hiking boots vs hiking shoes. I'm still on the fence about this but plan to talk to some people at REI to gather additional information. ;-)

I am one of those converting from nubuck leather boots to trail runners. My thinking was that I’m planning to do my Camino end of May-June and weather will be hot - my boots are quite hot. Apart from that they are much lighter than boots. The next argument is goretex or not, I go with GTX also because it rains a lot where I live! But those against GTX argue about decreased permeability/moist feet and the shoes take longer to dry. So you decide!

Trail runners meant to arrive yesterday but argh! Problem with delivery, so hopefully today. Will start breaking it in from this weekend. I hope they suit me well!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the Forum! We went the Camino Frances from Leon this past October. I would say that a comfortable hiking day for us was around 15-17 miles. We did have a couple of days over 20 miles and that was a bit much. We did carry our packs. I wore Oboz Sawtooth Mid boots. I am glad I had them. I wanted the support for my ankles. The Oboz I had has a large toe box too. I did take a pair of Keen sandals to wear around town. I did wear Darn socks full cushion (1) and other pair of Darn Tough regular cushion and a pair of liners.

We took the train from Terminal 4. Our train was later in the day. We walked around Madrid some before catching our train for Leon. We flew back to Madrid the night before our flight for the US. Stayed at NH Barajas near the airport. They provided a shuttle for pick up and took us back to the airport in the morning.

Buen Camino!

Hi Rosalinda,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, we have hiked the Manassas Battlefields. We also have hiked a number of trails in Shenandoah National Park including Old Rag. I'm looking forward to being on this walk and just walking and allowing myself to just take in all that is around me and leave worries behind. I know, easier said than done but it may happen!
I have no idea what you are referring to by the mid-Atlanitc Chapter or the Shell Ceremony. Please share.
Lesley the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino hosts events and walks for people interested in walking or who have walked the Camion de Santiago. For those of us who live in Northern Virginia our local chapter is the Mid-Atlantic (there are chapters all over the US). Starting today the name has changed to Capital Area Chapter of American Pilgrims. The walk this weekend, has been postponed to the 22nd of Jan. If you are interested you can contact them at capitalarea@americanpilgrims.org You can get on the e-mail list and receive information regarding hikes in the area. Once a year they host a shell ceremony and anyone who is going to go to the camino can participate. I think you have to sign up for that. It is usually held at the historic St. Mary's church in Fairfax. Last year they invited a priest who has walked and he shared his incredible adventures on the camino and then they called up all the people who were to receive the shell (about 20 people received shells). Our local chapter also has a Facebook page. Although most of the information is received via e-mail. Camigas-A Buddy System for women on the Camino is a good FB page.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My son bought gortex hiking shoes. Paid a fortune. Wore them once and never wore them again. Too hot. Same for me. I’d rather have wet shoes and wet feet anytime.
Maybe they’re good for snow or something.
GTX is good for hiking/walking in the UK with a lot of rain 🤣 soggy wet socks and shoes will weigh you down…

My wife and had a surprise coming out of Sarria....for some reason we thought the walk would be flat, perhaps with the occasional hill.
As time went on we realised there were hills everywhere. Thankfully we trained walking up and down hills in a nearby national park firstly without and then with packs. It was well worthwhile. Doing hill climbs one after another builds both physical and mental strength ....its good to have proven to yourself that you can take on most of the Camino ahead of you.

My wife and had a surprise coming out of Sarria....for some reason we thought the walk would be flat, perhaps with the occasional hill.
As time went on we realised there were hills everywhere. Thankfully we trained walking up and down hills in a nearby national park firstly without and then with packs. It was well worthwhile. Doing hill climbs one after another builds both physical and mental strength ....its good to have proven to yourself that you can take on most of the Camino ahead of you.
Gerry, Thank you for this insight. We will most certainly focus on walking with some hills!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All,

My husband and I had planned to go on this walk with a UTracks Guide but at this current time no one else has signed up for this tour, if this is the case we still want to walk the Camino from Sarria to Compestella and just have our bags transported from place to place plus have assistance getting our Camino passport etc.
I would like to know if any of you found not having a guide an issue or perhaps not having a guide is more enjoyable. We enjoy meeting other people and learning about history so for this reason, I am a tad bit bummed but nonetheless---we're flexible and will move forward.

Please share your thoughts ;)

Lesley

plus have assistance getting our Camino passport etc.
The only assistance you need is this: Go to this page and order your credencial *i.e. the pilgrim passport." Alternatively, you can fly to Spain and get to Sarria, and then ask at your accommodation how to get one.
I would like to know if any of you found not having a guide an issue or perhaps not having a guide is more enjoyable.
As @trecile said, most of us on the forum have not used guides and do not consider them even to be advantageous, let alone necessary. Here is one of many threads on the topic of whether a guide/group is needed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All,

My husband and I had planned to go on this walk with a UTracks Guide but at this current time no one else has signed up for this tour, if this is the case we still want to walk the Camino from Sarria to Compestella and just have our bags transported from place to place plus have assistance getting our Camino passport etc.
I would like to know if any of you found not having a guide an issue or perhaps not having a guide is more enjoyable. We enjoy meeting other people and learning about history so for this reason, I am a tad bit bummed but nonetheless---we're flexible and will move forward.

Please share your thoughts ;)

Lesley
No, you don't need a guide. You will be walking a well-trodden path with dozens of other pilgrims.

It is worth doing a bit of planning, though. How far do you want to walk each day? Which villages would you like to stay in? Is there somewhere you'd like to take a day off? Just because a guidebook has a start and end point for a particular day doesn't mean you have to stick to it.

Without a guide, you'll be free to make changes to your plan as you go.

Welcome

I would like to know if any of you found not having a guide an issue or perhaps not having a guide is more enjoyable.

What we found when we walked is probably relevant but more relevant is what you and your husband want from your pilgrimage?

If you both want an experience where everything is taken care of for you, where little effort is required other than walking and where you will essentially be separated from the local people and other pilgrims then a guide, or better, an organised tour is what you want.

If you search on this forum then you will see some references to tours and a couple of people who are regular contributors take tours themselves.

As prior posts have noted, most of the regulars on this forum do not take tours or use guides.

However, it is worth noting that the spectrum ranges from people who have taken (and enjoyed) tours to people who treat their first pilgrimage as a pivotal life challenge and start their pilgrimage a lot further away from Santiago de Compostela than Sarria and start with little or no planning and who carry anything that they need themselves.

Where you sit on this spectrum is the choice of you and your husband and any choice that you make is great.

We enjoy meeting other people and learning about history so for this reason, I am a tad bit bummed but nonetheless---we're flexible and will move forward.

You need to ask yourselves how adventurous you both are and if you want to feel a major sense of achievement at the end of if you prefer a pleasant holiday walking in Spain.

It is worth doing a bit of planning, though. How far do you want to walk each day? Which villages would you like to stay in? Is there somewhere you'd like to take a day off?

Most people on this forum will recommend that you do lots of planning before you go. However the Camino Frances, especially from Sarria is so popular (hundreds of thousands of people) that it is perfectly feasible to walk it with little more than a backpack and a credit card. The way is well marked and with lots of other people for companionship you wont get lost and if you do you will soon be back on track.

Spain is a first world country with modern medical facilities that is not much different from your home country.

The people who choose to walk without plans and who choose to stop where they like enjoy the freedom of walking without expectations. This feeling can be addictive and many choose to repeat their walks

As noted above, the freedom gained from not planning can be enlightening.

No, you don't need a guide. You will be walking a well-trodden path with dozens of other pilgrims.

It is worth doing a bit of planning, though. How far do you want to walk each day? Which villages would you like to stay in? Is there somewhere you'd like to take a day off? Just because a guidebook has a start and end point for a particular day doesn't mean you have to stick to it.

Molly,
Thank you for your reply. We plan to begin in Sarria, have our bags transported from one spot to the next, and enjoy the journey. I think you are correct, without a guide we'll have more freedom ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.