• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new peregrina

janeatkins

Hola, I'm Jane from Florida. I am starting out at Roncesvalles on May 7 with two friends... we are 50somethings and it's our first time on the Camino. I am aiming for the lightest pack possible. I have a down sleeping bag but would much prefer to take my silk sleep sack. Will I freeze in Roncesvalles in it? Are the beds in the refugios filling up in early May?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, Jane; I'm Steve and am also from Florida. I'll be making the pilgrimage with my 16-year-old son in July. I'd be very interested in hearing more about your trip when you return.

To answer your question, from everything I've read you will need your down bag for the higher elevations. Check the "Equipment" section of this site for more in-depth info.

Buen Camino!

Hi Jane. I am from Florida too. I did the camino last year starting in September. I only took a silk liner trying to make my backpack lighter and had some very uncomfortably cold nights. Not all of the albergues have blankets and if they do sometimes there aren't enough for everyone. I ended up buying flannel pajamas and a lightweight blanket. I am sure the weight of a sleeping bag would have been less.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Darn, seems like Florida pilgrims r coming together here, can't miss out on that! Welcome Jane, peregrina, greetings from S Fla here! Check out the diff sections in this magnificent web page and u'll get a lot of crucial info re: this most special adventure u and all of us are about to embark, some for the first time, orthers for the zillionth! Buen Camino, xm 8)

Hi, Jane,

I will be walking the Camino del Norte while you're on the Frances. So I wish you a Buen Camino!

Last year, on May 15 or thereabouts, I FROZE in the Roncesvalles refugio with a lightweight sleeping bag and all my clothes, including rain pants. But that was the only night I was cold (and I had started in Moissac, France so I had been walking for a couple of weeks before Roncesvalles).

In many places further along the camino, I think a down sleeping bag will be too hot in May. If you have access to something in between a down bag and a silk liner, that might be perfect, but if not, it's a choice between being warm enough all the time and hot sometime on the one hand, and being cold maybe once or twice and being fine the rest of the time.

I have a snugpak 750, and my husband uses a lightweight REI pack that was about $80 and we're usually fine.

Many of the albergues have blankets available, too.

Buen camino!

Hi Jane, My wife and I walked in Oct 06. we got 1lb sleeping bags on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods on sale for very cheap. ($40) in JAX. They worked great. Have a wonderful Camino experience. Maybe all us FLA caminophiles should have our own reunion? John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe all us FLA caminophiles should have our own reunion?

Sounds like a good idea John, there certainly seem to be a lot of us from FL participating in this forum.

More so than from other US states?

Best,

xm 8)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jane!! Buen Camino! I'll be in Roncesvalles 2 days before you, but moving along slowly, so maybe you'll catch up to me before I leave the Camino at Burgos! :)

Buen Camino from Texas, y'all!

dg

Check the weather on weather.com. Looks like 60's high and 40 lows over the next 10 days. Showers are in the forecast. My son Eric and I start on the 10th of may. Good boots, rain protection, socks, and a stout hart are the keys for my boy scouts.
cheers
Freddy

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.