• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New pilgrim from Canada/Sweden, walking SJPP-Burgos in July

Hali

My name is Hali Liddell, I always have some trouble telling where I'm from since a Canadian is always a Canadian, no matter where we happen to be living! :lol:
I was born in Montreal but moved to Sweden when I was seven and have been here ever since then, except for two years of working and living in Toronto (88-90) Therefore my english is quite rusty....

Me and my fiancé Ubbe are going on our first ever Camino. It has been a dream of mine for many years and I have gotten Ubbe hooked on the idea as well. (The "fuente del vino" and walking through Rioja got him going!) Circumstances only make it possible for us to go in July and we will have to pass through Pamplona during San Fermin. We are a bit worried about the albergues in the area being full at that time. We hope to stay in Cizur Menor.
This year we will walk from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port to Burgos in approximately two weeks. I have already booked beds at L’Esprit du Chemin and got a warm, welcoming email fron Arno and Huberta.

I have lots of questions about the camino but I will browse through the FAQS first, maybe all of my questions have already been asked.

I am so excited about the camino that I've already test-packed my back-pack (it weighs 3,5 kg excluding water) and now wear it when we go for training walks. We bought our hiking shoes about a year ago so they have been broken in.

Can't wait to get started! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Hali,
Wow!! 3.5kg backpack - you are going to ruin my reputation as being the super-duper-lightweight-peregina! (My pack weighed in at 4.8kg last week at the camino workshop.)

sillydoll said:
Hola Hali,
Wow!! 3.5kg backpack - you are going to ruin my reputation as being the super-duper-lightweight-peregina! (My pack weighed in at 4.8kg last week at the camino workshop.)

Hola Sil,
You being a veteran-peregrina and me a complete novice that probably means I'll realize along the way that I'll need to do some shopping! My backpack is very lightweight (870g) and I'm only bringing a travel sheet bag, no sleeping bag. My sheets are polyester and weigh 330g, I just checked out your blog and saw that you sure beat me on that point! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Hali!

I´ll be walking the same distance than you guys but starting the 16th of May from SJPP and continuing to Logrono - Burgos. We have about 14 days for the camino and about 5 days in Sitges outside Barcelona before we fly home the 2nd of June.

Thank you for the Canadian phrase book! :arrow:

anniethenurse said:
Hi Hali!

I´ll be walking the same distance than you guys but starting the 16th of May from SJPP and continuing to Logrono - Burgos. We have about 14 days for the camino and about 5 days in Sitges outside Barcelona before we fly home the 2nd of June.

Thank you for the Canadian phrase book! :arrow:

Hi Annie!

I'd love to hear of your experiences on your camino, hope you have a wonderful time! Do you have a travel blog? Nice to see someone from Sweden here, and someone walking the same distance as we are, also in about 14 days. We are driving to SJPP so we will take the bus from Burgos to Roncesvalles and walk the Pyrenées backwards!
I found a Swedish blog with very useful information and tips for pilgrims, maybe it will be of use to you too. http://buenavista15.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... n-spe.html

Have you seen the new book "El Camino" by a Swedish photographer named Åke Mokvist? It's absolutely fantastic, well worth the 214 SEK at Adlibris!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back