• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New pilgrims starting 16th September

Nicolam

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I are Australians from NSW, in our late 50s/early 60s and first timers. We are walking el Camino starting from SJPP on the 16th of September and hope to walk all the way to Santiago de Compostela. I have read all the posts that seem relevant on the site - thank you all so much. We have booked only two hostels - in SJPP and Roncesvalles. We have done some long hikes with packs in the past years and have been walking 4-7 hours on about 12 occasions in the last 2 months while travelling in Scotland and Ireland, with our Merrell walking shoes (but only with 4 k packs). We are relatively fit, and have time up our sleeves if we need it - roughly planning to take about 40 days. I have walking poles and will only be carrying about 7 kg. We have the appropriate wet weather gear and first aid gear, in case my feet or knees give us problems (some issues in recent years). I will send my bag on ahead for the trip over the Pyrenees. Is there anything else that I should be thinking about? I am excited, nervous and trying to stay open to the challenges and the opportunity to live in the present and to be in nature for this period. I see it as a huge privilege to have the time to attempt the whole walk at this time of my life - it is something I have waited to do for a decade or so.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Suggest you start slow! If you can get a reservation, stop at Orrison which which is between your starting point and Roncevalles. Since you have the time, ease into your distances. Walking day after day puts strain on the body. Pace yourselves starting out slow and you should be fine! Do not get caught up in other people's rhythms! Take time to breathe in the beauty!

A stop at Orisson makes for a pretty short day (Hounto is even shorter). All the way to Roncesvalles makes for a fairly strenuous day. The Valcarlos Route is a compromise that few seem to take! The albergue in Valcarlos splits the day fairly evenly with the second half the more arduous of the two. The vast majority of pilgrims go all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. A stop at Orisson has become de rigeur in the Forum for reasons that are a bit obscure to me. The difficult first day has many Members nostalgically preferring a shorter first day, but I am not quite sure that their physical limits should become the physical limits of everyone. I think you have a good plan, a plan that has worked for hundreds each day for years!:)

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Suggest you start slow! If you can get a reservation, stop at Orrison which which is between your starting point and Roncevalles. Since you have the time, ease into your distances. Walking day after day puts strain on the body. Pace yourselves starting out slow and you should be fine! Do not get caught up in other people's rhythms! Take time to breathe in the beauty!

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I did try to book Orrison a few weeks ago, but it was booked out. I am mentally prepared for a first and second hard stage - and we walked up Croagh Patrick in Westport Ireland, two days ago (750 m and a hard, stony, steep incline) with no ill effects, so think I can do it. But I do appreciate the advice and have now booked Zubiri and Pamplona - spending two nights there. We will definitely take it at our own pace, once we discover what that is. Thanks for your thoughtful reply - we will take time to breathe in the beauty!

A stop at Orisson makes for a pretty short day (Hounto is even shorter). All the way to Roncesvalles makes for a fairly strenuous day. The Valcarlos Route is a compromise that few seem to take! The albergue in Valcarlos splits the day fairly evenly with the second half the more arduous of the two. The vast majority of pilgrims go all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. A stop at Orisson has become de rigeur in the Forum for reasons that are a bit obscure to me. The difficult first day has many Members nostalgically preferring a shorter first day, but I am not quite sure that their physical limits should become the physical limits of everyone. I think you have a good plan, a plan that has worked for hundreds each day for years!:)

Buen camino.
Thank you for your thoughts. We know the first day will be hard (and the second) but feel prepared for it now. We also think it will be beautiful and unforgettable. We will start early and enjoy it!

Greetings from Ireland. Nice to know that you have climbed Croagh Patrick, it's something that I have done in preparation for previous Camino's and a good one to have under your belt in preparation for the Pyranees. Sounds as if you have everything covered......booking accommodation in SJPP and Roncesvalles is the right way to go....after that I would recommend not planning too much and let each day unfold as it will....listen to your body with regard to daily distances, take the first few days slowly to avoid strain or injury and your bodies will become accustomed to long distances. You will meet up with a lot of wonderful people as you go. Also in my 50's I'm starting my 7th Camino around the same time so maybe see you along the way. Enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings from Ireland. Nice to know that you have climbed Croagh Patrick, it's something that I have done in preparation for previous Camino's and a good one to have under your belt in preparation for the Pyranees. Sounds as if you have everything covered......booking accommodation in SJPP and Roncesvalles is the right way to go....after that I would recommend not planning too much and let each day unfold as it will....listen to your body with regard to daily distances, take the first few days slowly to avoid strain or injury and your bodies will become accustomed to long distances. You will meet up with a lot of wonderful people as you go. Also in my 50's I'm starting my 7th Camino around the same time so maybe see you along the way. Enjoy.
Thank you for your thoughts and I hope we meet up too along the way. It is good to hear from people like yourself who are so experienced with el Camino!

I'm 60 and did the CF starting in SJPP on May 19 and finished in Santiago on June 22. Only you know what your fitness is, if you feel good, Roncesvalles is a 9 hour trek that you'll love and it's a great confidence builder. But, it is not a competition. If Orisson is where you stay, enjoy that and look forward to the next day and the day after, etc.

I'm 60 and did the CF starting in SJPP on May 19 and finished in Santiago on June 22. Only you know what your fitness is, if you feel good, Roncesvalles is a 9 hour trek that you'll love and it's a great confidence builder. But, it is not a competition. If Orisson is where you stay, enjoy that and look forward to the next day and the day after, etc.

Thanks - we will take our time, but have decided we will try for the confidence builder (ie do the 9 hour trek to begin as Orisson was booked). We have good accommodation booked and will start early, so we hope it will be fine. Clearly it can be done - but we will definitely not be in competition. We will listen to our bodies and slow down as we need to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I enjoyed every day I was on the Camino. On your first day, a couple tips:
1. Take some snacks, Orisson is the last place for food and refill your water.
2. On the steep parts, take short steps, it looks a little funny but it works.
3. Don't look up the hill, the top will be there when you get there. Look around or in front of you.
Remember, there will always be another hill. It's up to you to decide if that's a metaphor or not.
Buen Camino, I wish I was going with you!

I enjoyed every day I was on the Camino. On your first day, a couple tips:
1. Take some snacks, Orisson is the last place for food and refill your water.
2. On the steep parts, take short steps, it looks a little funny but it works.
3. Don't look up the hill, the top will be there when you get there. Look around or in front of you.
Remember, there will always be another hill. It's up to you to decide if that's a metaphor or not.
Buen Camino, I wish I was going with you!
Thank you - it's helpful to be reminded to think about food and drink!

Thank you for your thoughts and I hope we meet up too along the way. It is good to hear from people like yourself who are so experienced with el Camino!
A question for you if you have time. We are in Dublin and looking for a high quality light down sleeping bag. Where would you suggest looking?
Thanks - we are only here for another few days, and if we can't find this we may have to look in Barcelona. I'd prefer to buy here. Any ideas welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wish I could help, I''ve posed the question to a Pilgrim I met on the Camino who is Irish, hopefully I'll get a quick response.

A question for you if you have time. We are in Dublin and looking for a high quality light down sleeping bag. Where would you suggest looking?
Thanks - we are only here for another few days, and if we can't find this we may have to look in Barcelona. I'd prefer to buy here. Any ideas welcome.
If you won't find it in Dublin there are two Decathlon shops in Barcelona center (https://www.google.si/search?source...95.0..0i131k1j0i19k1j0i22i10i30k1.kxQ1nW1nD1Y). Cheap and perfectly usable stuff for Camino. Any smaller shop like in the SJPdP would be much more expensive for the same quality.

Buen Camino!

If you won't find it in Dublin there are two Decathlon shops in Barcelona center (https://www.google.si/search?source...95.0..0i131k1j0i19k1j0i22i10i30k1.kxQ1nW1nD1Y). Cheap and perfectly usable stuff for Camino. Any smaller shop like in the SJPdP would be much more expensive for the same quality.

Buen Camino!

Thank you! We found most of what we wanted in base camp and Cotswolds walking in Dublin, but it is useful to know about these shops in Barcelona. Muchas gracias!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I are Australians from NSW, in our late 50s/early 60s and first timers. We are walking el Camino starting from SJPP on the 16th of September and hope to walk all the way to Santiago de Compostela. I have read all the posts that seem relevant on the site - thank you all so much. We have booked only two hostels - in SJPP and Roncesvalles. We have done some long hikes with packs in the past years and have been walking 4-7 hours on about 12 occasions in the last 2 months while travelling in Scotland and Ireland, with our Merrell walking shoes (but only with 4 k packs). We are relatively fit, and have time up our sleeves if we need it - roughly planning to take about 40 days. I have walking poles and will only be carrying about 7 kg. We have the appropriate wet weather gear and first aid gear, in case my feet or knees give us problems (some issues in recent years). I will send my bag on ahead for the trip over the Pyrenees. Is there anything else that I should be thinking about? I am excited, nervous and trying to stay open to the challenges and the opportunity to live in the present and to be in nature for this period. I see it as a huge privilege to have the time to attempt the whole walk at this time of my life - it is something I have waited to do for a decade or so.
Ha ha, you're still very young indeed! And so positive, which is great. I will probably celebrate my 78th birthday on the Camino. Hopefully the old bones are up to it all and get me to where I hope to be. Good luck to you both and buen camino.

Good luck with your final preparations! I'm from NSW too leaving sjpp on the 18th - only have 31 days so we'll see how it goes - plan to do 1st day to ronsecvalles on the right route to have a slightly easier first day. Hope to see you ,take care Matt

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back