• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrims

Allister

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2014
Hi Pilgrims
we are setting off from SJPDP. last week in August... Im sure Ive seen a route in 29 stages or less.. could anyone point me in the right direction please ?.... (hummm. Lost already). :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Allister and Greetings from Jerusalem,

You have dipped your toe into an ocean and discovered that it is very very wet! There is a Camino Frances and there are many many other Caminos running the length and breadth all throughout Europe, several dozen in Spain alone. Try and define to yourself the reasons which brought you to the initial considerations and decision to walk. Adventure? Spirituality? History? Tradition? Family heritage? Peer group experiences? Been there Done that? All are legitimate all could define a different Camino to walk perhaps even a different country to transverse. Your personal preferences also sould play and important part – can you handle crowds of people and what may be at times cramped living space or do you prefer to be alone? Do you speak Spanish or French or German? Can you walk your defined 29 days from SJPP to Santiago, a steady clip of 29 kilometers a day with no time off for good behavior? Would you prefer a slower pace and less real estate to cross? Will you stop to view fantastic historical sites in order to view amazing art and architecture or do such things leave you uninterested and you plan to mush on. There are also many options for prayer, meditation, and epiphany all along any of the routes. How important to you yourself is the Compostela document from Santiago. The Camino is thus many faceted, a diamond waiting there for you to pick it upo - now, next year, and in your next reincarnation, it will reveal to you whatever you are seeking, but first decide, you yourself, why, where, now that the first when has already been decided, the hard part begins. Walking? That's easy.
Scruffy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think it very much a set of personal decisions about when and where to stay on each night. The route is well marked, there are some options along the way, and the pressure on albergues will be starting to ease. Have fun - but remember that a 29 day pattern will be a stretch.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Allister and greetings from Ireland. I am also setting out from SJPP the last week of August. Unless you are super fit or have put in months of training I feel that 29 days may be a little ambitious, however, you know the potential of your own body best and that may work very well for you. I hope to get to Santiago in 33/34 days but have allowed 3/4 extra in case rest days are required. Enjoy and maybe our paths will cross on the journey.

Gerard.

We have done the Cleveland way and the Tabular hills in 8 days. A total mileage of 160 miles. A lot cooler I know but we did have hills every day

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have done the Cleveland way and the Tabular hills in 8 days. A total mileage of 160 miles. A lot cooler I know but we did have hills every day
There are a number of resources that show elevation profiles. Having carried a GPS on the Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre this year, some like Brierley appear to under-estimate the amount of climb in any day. This is consistent with my experience on the Camino Frances in 2010, although I didn't compare my results to Brierley's guide then.

If you are leaving from SJPP, there are major climbs in the first couple of days, and then again to reach O Cebreiro. There are shorter climbs, some quite steep, regularly along the way. If you are used to walking in the north of England, you should not find anything too difficult on the CF.

Here are two different charts for the Camino Frances.

The first is the one I have used for all of my walks. It shows 27 stages, but I break it up into shorter stages, as it suits me. Note that it's a bit outdated in terms of the albergues available, and it doesn't include the stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles. However, it does show most of the towns along the trail, and many now have services and albergues that weren't there when the chart was created 10 years ago.

The other document is the one the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP gives out. It shows 34 stages but doesn't show all the towns along the way.

FYI - there are now more than 300 albergues from SJPP to Santiago so you will find places to sleep in many towns, villages, and hamlets.

In my experience, the best way to plan your stages is to take 800 kilometers and divide by how many days you have to walk, then use the chart to approximate where to stop each day. Then follow your intuition, your heart, and your new Camino friendships to have the experience you desire.

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Profiles_Camino_Frances_27_Etapas.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • profil_d_etapes_voir[1].pdf
    207.1 KB · Views: 8
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back