• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New tasmanian walkers want flight advice from Australia

tascamino

Hello
We are a couple planning to start from SJPP in early May 2011. We are looking for a cheap flight to Europe.Currently looking at Air Korea to Paris with free stopover in Seoul. From Paris we will be looking for advice as to how best and cheapish to get to SJPP.Is Paris the most sensible touchdown. Appreciate feedback. Thanks
Tassie walkers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi and welcome - your journey has begun, before you even leave your front door! I catch the TGV train down to Bayonne from the airport (I think you have to change at Biarritz) and then rest before catching the local train to St Jean.

I have sent you a pm if you wish to contact me and have a chat. regards, Janet

Hi Tassie Walkers,
We flew Paris to Biarritz (Bus or taxi to Bayonne). It is sometimes possibe to get cheap Paris - Biarritz airfares. You just need to get the shuttle from CDG (Int) to Orly (Domestic). Certainly gets you there quickly.
Buen Camino
Col

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
I and two friends are starting in St Jean on 2nd May. Lots of Aussies on the path.
I will take the TGV from CDG airport to Bayonne as on a previous Camino. Unfortunately a long trip with jetlag and I don't arrive until around 2230. I will probably book again into the quaint Hotel Paris Madrid next door to the station( If it is still there) and next day train to St Jean .
My two friends are on their first Camino and we are all very excited. Perhaps we will meet along the way.
Buen Camino
Heather

My recommendations would be to fly into Paris and stay there a couple of nights to recover from jetlag. The worst thing you can do is to start walking as soon as you arrive in France, the body definitely needs to recover from a 24 hour flight!

Then, take the TGV from Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, and from here you can get a local train to St Jean Pied de Port. You can book TGV tickets ahead of time, with the choice of printing your own ticket or picking it up from any French train station, from the French national railways website : http://www.voyages-sncf.com Tickets cannot be purchased more than 90 days in advance of travel; there are some really cheap tickets but these cannot be refunded or changed; and, make sure you select your country as 'France', as this will give you the printing/pickup options.

Thanks so much for these quick responses. We really appreciate the advice and hope to meet some of you in our travels.
I think we are going to spend a few days in Paris now if we can find somewhere appropriate to stay :).

We are new to blogging but somewhere in finding this site we came across a specifically australian section. Is the Australian blog site(?) part of this forum or are we completely confused?

Cheers and thank you again

Tassie walkers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Australia / New Zealand section on this forum is for sharing general, but specific to our region, news for those of us travelling over to Europe. It is open for anyone to read, but the idea is that if there is notices of meetings / gatherings and such like that are only pertaining to this part of the world then one doesn't have to wade through other information to find it. The same applies to other regions such as North America and South Africa too.

My suggestion is that you find a blog system (a lot of my friends use "blogspot") that you like and post a link on this forum. That way anyone can access it, cheer you on, and perhaps learn from your experience. Computers are fairly accessible throughout the Camino Frances - either in the albergues themselves or even at the local library . Cheers, Janet

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back