New to the Camino. Questions!

dennis2

Jan 27, 2020
Rochester, NY
Time of past OR future Camino
Plan: Camino Portugués
Hi!
I am planning on doing the Camino Portugués on my spring break (March 7-15) from Porto or Tui(depends on how I feel about doing the whole thing in 7 days). Well, I was wondering if I will be able to find albergues during early/mid March and of I can trust that they will be open in every town. Also, how's the weather around that time? I am new to this and I might be travelling alone, what should I take according to the weather? I speak Spanish and Portugués so I will not have any issue in communicating with locals, but I am afraid I won't find where to sleep.
Thanks
*If there's anyone travelling around these dates please let me know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
Hi!
I am planning on doing the Camino Portugués on my spring break (March 7-15) from Porto or Tui(depends on how I feel about doing the whole thing in 7 days). Well, I was wondering if I will be able to find albergues during early/mid March and of I can trust that they will be open in every town. Also, how's the weather around that time? I am new to this and I might be travelling alone, what should I take according to the weather? I speak Spanish and Portugués so I will not have any issue in communicating with locals, but I am afraid I won't find where to sleep.
Thanks

Hi Dennis and welcome here.
Do take your time to find your way on this forum.

In the right upper corner of this forum you find a search function. Do type in some keywords and you will find a wealth of information.

The Gronze website is always up to date when it comes to albergues and accomodation.

The Portugues is getting rather popular so you will be ok regarding available places.

Happy preparation!

dennis2

Jan 27, 2020
Rochester, NY
Hi!
Thanks

I will take a train from Oporto to Tui and start from there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
D

Deleted member 67185

Hello, Dennis, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  2. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  3. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  4. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  5. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
For albergue information, Gronze can be helpful. https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

Reactions: SabsP

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I wouldn't attempt to walk from Porto to Santiago in 7 days! Not unless you regularly walk 40 km a day.
With 7 days, I would start in Valenca in Portugal, because it's an interesting city with an medieval walled fortress, and it's very cool to walk across the bridge into Spain. You can probably walk from Valenca to Santiago in 5 days, or if you can manage it in 4 you could walk 3 more days to Finisterre or Muxía from Santiago. I think that it's always better to build in some extra days than to have a schedule that pushes you too hard.

Check out the stages that Gronze.com recommends

Reactions: dennis2

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
A selection of Camino Jewellery

dennis2

Jan 27, 2020
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't attempt to walk from Porto to Santiago in 7 days! Not unless you regularly walk 40 km a day.
With 7 days, I would start in Valenca in Portugal, because it's an interesting city with an medieval walled fortress, and it's very cool to walk across the bridge into Spain. You can probably walk from Valenca to Santiago in 5 days, or if you can manage it in 4 you could walk 3 more days to Finisterre or Muxía from Santiago. I think that it's always better to build in some extra days than to have a schedule that pushes you too hard.

Check out the stages that Gronze.com recommends

Thanks Trecile! Yes, most likely I will take the train from Oporto to Tui/Valenca. 40km seems like a lot, specially being my first camino

Reactions: SabsP

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
Thanks Trecile! Yes, most likely I will take the train from Oporto to Tui/Valenca. 40km seems like a lot, specially being my first camino

And don't underestimate those pesky cobblestones the first days out of Porto....

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
40 km is a lot, for any Camino!
One 40 km day now and then is doable, but every day is only for those who with the right experience and mindset.

Reactions: dennis2
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi!
I am planning on doing the Camino Portugués on my spring break (March 7-15) ... Well, I was wondering if I will be able to find albergues during early/mid March and of I can trust that they will be open in every town. ... I speak Spanish and Portugués so I will not have any issue in communicating with locals, but I am afraid I won't find where to sleep.

Hi and welcome to the forum @dennis2,
If you speak portugues you will be FINE as you can call ahead to make sure an albergue is open and to ask the neighbours where you can find a place to sleep. BIG advantage!
Stop worrying and get walking ;-)
BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.