• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to the Camino

Ellamega76

Time of past OR future Camino
Im planning in doing the Frances Camino
Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the courage to go alone on this trek starting in SJPDP. I was relying on my friend to help me get around since I’ve only just learned about the Camino a few months ago. I am hoping I can figure things out as I go but my nerves are getting the best of me. Is there anyone else starting the Camino in a week or so? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stop worrying, I think it's actually more interesting to go alone. You will meet lots of interesting people who will be willing to give you tips, advice and friendship. You will NOT be alone. I would consider booking Orrison or Bora for your first night. There both small albergues and a great places to meet up with fellow pilgrims to kickstart of your Camino. Buen Camino.

St Jean Pied de Port is basically "pilgrim central." You will definitely not be alone, and there will be many people you can ask questions of - the Pilgrims Office, the hospitaleros where you sleep, and your fellow pilgrims.
I suggest downloading a couple of Camino apps, like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino.

They both have maps that you can use offline (make sure to download all of the content). Plus accommodation listings and some historical and cultural information.

Gronze is also a great resource. It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is exciting! There will many other pilgrims in SJPP starting the same day you do. You’ll figure out things very quickly. You’ll meet many others who are new to this adventure as you are. At this point, I would encourage you to have some initial reservations for a bed in SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri. After Pamplona, you can play it by ear as to whether or not you need to make reservations even a day in advance. My other piece of advice to you is to travel light. You won’t need much on the Camino, so don’t carry extra items or weight. It’s a great experience! Buen Camino!

Stop worrying, I think it's actually more interesting to go alone. You will meet lots of interesting people who will be willing to give you tips, advice and friendship. You will NOT be alone. I would consider booking Orrison or Bora for your first night. There both small albergues and a great places to meet up with fellow pilgrims to kickstart of your Camino. Buen Camino.
It’s just the beginning jitters. I know I’ll be fine but right now I have idle time and I’m overthinking things. I haven’t booked anything because I have no idea how much I can walk at one time since I don’t train at all. I know it will work out though. It just was not what I planned so that part threw me for a loop. Thanks for the advice. Buen Camino

St Jean Pied de Port is basically "pilgrim central." You will definitely not be alone, and there will be many people you can ask questions of - the Pilgrims Office, the hospitaleros where you sleep, and your fellow pilgrims.
I suggest downloading a couple of Camino apps, like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino.

They both have maps that you can use offline (make sure to download all of the content). Plus accommodation listings and some historical and cultural information.

Gronze is also a great resource. It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

Thank you for the advice. I do have the 2 apps downloaded but am still learning how to navigate on them. I like the Buen Camino app and hope that will be enough as the other one seems a bit more confusing. Thanks again for replying:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is exciting! There will many other pilgrims in SJPP starting the same day you do. You’ll figure out things very quickly. You’ll meet many others who are new to this adventure as you are. At this point, I would encourage you to have some initial reservations for a bed in SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri. After Pamplona, you can play it by ear as to whether or not you need to make reservations even a day in advance. My other piece of advice to you is to travel light. You won’t need much on the Camino, so don’t carry extra items or weight. It’s a great experience! Buen Camino!
Excellent advice. I’ve gotten similar advice from another guy on YouTube. So I will try to figure that out when I have an idea when I’m getting there. As for traveling light, I’m a freeze baby so I must have a sleeping bag and lots of layers. So I think it’s mostly my pack that weighs the most. I’ve already given stuff away to lighten it but it’s still at like 21lbs and I’m 135lbs. 😬

Even if you set out to St. Jean alone, once you arrive you won't be alone unless you want to be. You will be safely ensconced in the community if fellow pilgrims, as supportive a group of people as you can hope to find. Among them will he a number of pilgrims how have completed more than one Camino (some of us can't help it and keep coming back for more) who will be happy to answer any questions and point you in the right direction. You've probably picked the Camino with the most support for a first-time pilgrim. Don't let your jitters get the best of you. You'll do fine!

but it’s still at like 21lbs and
And that’s weigh (pardon the pun) overweight for a May/June Camino. Sleeping bag, yes. I always carry one. Waterproofs, one complete change of clothes plus an extra pair of pants and socks. Toothbrush, soap and a towel, oh, and a corkscrew as well for me. Anything additional? Take a long hard look at it and try and remember why, exactly, you’re taking it with you. Because, if it’s “just in case”, “just in case” is a lot of weight on your shoulders.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am hoping I can figure things out as I go but my nerves are getting the best of me.
I've done a few caminos and long distance walks, and I still feel this just before I leave for yet a new one. Especially early mornings when I shower, I wonder why that is. The nerves will calm down when you're on your way. Prepare for a new obsession!

Thank you for the advice. I do have the 2 apps downloaded but am still learning how to navigate on them. I like the Buen Camino app and hope that will be enough as the other one seems a bit more confusing. Thanks again for replying:)
Another great app is 'Camino Ninja', worth giving it a look.
You'll be fine . . . It's only a bit of a walk carrying a backpack 🙃
Buen Camino

You will be fine and have a great time honest!
Fear of the unknown is human nature but also part of the fun!
Just go with it and enjoy your journey; relax and even the bad bits make great stories!
When you finish i bet you will be thinking of the next one on the plane home.
Take the advice above Gronze is great as is Wise Pilgrim enough to get you to Santiago.

Bring stuff you need; not what you think you might need!
You will meet loads of people from all over the World that are thinking just like you, doing what your are doing.
Good luck take your leap of faith and fly (ooooh cheesy but true)🤣
I start my journey to another Camino in the morning my biggest fear is will my train arrive and my flight take off everything else will be amazing again; positive is as positive does (not quite Forrest Gump but close)
Buen Camino
Woody

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another great app is 'Camino Ninja', worth giving it a look.
You'll be fine . . . It's only a bit of a walk carrying a backpack 🙃
Buen Camino
Exactly. My first time I didn't have an app or a guide book! I did have the paper from the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP with the stages and all the albergues.

Even if you set out to St. Jean alone, once you arrive you won't be alone unless you want to be. You will be safely ensconced in the community if fellow pilgrims, as supportive a group of people as you can hope to find. Among them will he a number of pilgrims how have completed more than one Camino (some of us can't help it and keep coming back for more) who will be happy to answer any questions and point you in the right direction. You've probably picked the Camino with the most support for a first-time pilgrim. Don't let your jitters get the best of you. You'll do fine!
Thank you:)

I have no idea how much I can walk at one time since I don’t train at all.
I think it’s mostly my pack that weighs the most. I’ve already given stuff away to lighten it but it’s still at like 21lbs
You have no idea how far you can walk, so you probably have no idea if you can carry 21 lb all day. (I carry 12 lb, and also hate to be cold.)

SJPP has no official status as the start of the Camino Frances. Why not do yourself a favour and increase the flexibility of distances on the first few days by starting in Roncesvalles or even Pamplona? It would be unfortunate to run into difficulties on Day 1 that jeopardize the whole walk.

If you really want to start in SJPP, consider walking the Valcarlos route so you can take 2 days to Roncesvalles. There will probably be no beds available between SJPP and Roncesvalles on the Napoleon route.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All these worries will disappear as soon as you start that first day. I'd try and get that pack weight down a fair bit though. Plenty of threads about packing lists about on here

Being alone on the Frances... not likely unless that's what you want. You will meet like minded pilgrims, also nervous , all the time :)

And that’s weigh (pardon the pun) overweight for a May/June Camino. Sleeping bag, yes. I always carry one. Waterproofs, one complete change of clothes plus an extra pair of pants and socks. Toothbrush, soap and a towel, oh, and a corkscrew as well for me. Anything additional? Take a long hard look at it and try and remember why, exactly, you’re taking it with you. Because, if it’s “just in case”, “just in case” is a lot of weight on your shoulders.

I’ve literally gotten rid of all that I could and did my first practice run on the Camino out by Condom France. 7km and I was fine:) I’m pretty fit so I think I fit this😂

All these worries will disappear as soon as you start that first day. I'd try and get that pack weight down a fair bit though. Plenty of threads about packing lists about on here

Being alone on the Frances... not likely unless that's what you want. You will meet like minded pilgrims, also nervous , all the time :)
It seems a lot of pilgrims go through the same thing. So I’ll be in good company😂
You will be fine and have a great time honest!
Fear of the unknown is human nature but also part of the fun!
Just go with it and enjoy your journey; relax and even the bad bits make great stories!
When you finish i bet you will be thinking of the next one on the plane home.
Take the advice above Gronze is great as is Wise Pilgrim enough to get you to Santiago.

Bring stuff you need; not what you think you might need!
You will meet loads of people from all over the World that are thinking just like you, doing what your are doing.
Good luck take your leap of faith and fly (ooooh cheesy but true)🤣
I start my journey to another Camino in the morning my biggest fear is will my train arrive and my flight take off everything else will be amazing again; positive is as positive does (not quite Forrest Gump but close)
Buen Camino
Woody
I love this!! Thank you for reminding me to focus on the good and not the what ifs. I’ve managed to meet a French family and am staying with them for now so I’m putting the Camino on hold at least for another week😂 I’ll get it started eventually!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have no idea how far you can walk, so you probably have no idea if you can carry 21 lb all day. (I carry 12 lb, and also hate to be cold.)

SJPP has no official status as the start of the Camino Frances. Why not do yourself a favour and increase the flexibility of distances on the first few days by starting in Roncesvalles or even Pamplona? It would be unfortunate to run into difficulties on Day 1 that jeopardize the whole walk.

If you really want to start in SJPP, consider walking the Valcarlos route so you can take 2 days to Roncesvalles. There will probably be no beds available between SJPP and Roncesvalles on the Napoleon route.
That’s a great idea. I actually did a test run with my pack from Condom France to caussens. It was about a 7km walk on the Camino Rt. I also got my passport and first stamp:) I’m staying with a family on a farm. I’ve been cutting down dead trees, making a pen for sheep and gardening. They already feel like family so I may postpone the Camino for at least another week. This is my ADHDs fault😂😂😂

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the courage to go alone on this trek starting in SJPDP. I was relying on my friend to help me get around since I’ve only just learned about the Camino a few months ago. I am hoping I can figure things out as I go but my nerves are getting the best of me. Is there anyone else starting the Camino in a week or so? Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Everybody works together and you will see it flows. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Ask questions of anyone and you will get help once you are en route.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.