• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Years Eve on the Camino

HermanTheGerman

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Here I am again, dreaming of all the Caminos I would love to walk if I had unlimited spare time in my life, such as the Mozarabe which hooks up with the VDLP, but realistically it would appear that the next Camino for me will be the Portuguese again over the christmas break.

Last time I was really surprised at how few pilgrims I met along the way. Maybe people have fear at the prospect of walking a winter Camino, but with temperatures reaching 16 degrees Celsius during the day, it was hardly winter at all!

If all goes to plan, I should be in Valenca for new year's eve. I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting the Portuguese route, it was so beautiful. Only 4 and a half months to go now! ;-)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If all goes to plan, I should be in Valenca for new year's eve. I'm definitely looking forward to revising the Portuguese route, it was so beautiful. Only 4 and a half months to go now!

Herman,

If your plan comes true be sure to visit the wonderful old 17th c fort high on the hill in Valenca do Minho and have a drink or more in the welcoming bar of the pousada Sao Teotono. The view from there across the river and famous bridge by Eiffel is splendid especially when the lights are lit.

By the way I hope to be there just two weeks before you after finishing my next CF and continuing down to VdM from SdC. Hope springs eternal!!

Happy dreams and Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

Margaret Meredith

I

Hi Margaret,

Yes, I remember the fort last time as I rushed by on the way to Tui after starting that morning from Ponte de Lima. That was a tough day.

I regretted not stopping in Valenca last time, but it's something I will be making amends for in December. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it all out.

Bom Caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well I guess that counts Al!

Last year I found myself in the Albergue in Redondela, with a handful of Brazilians, one Italian and a bottle or 2 (if I remember correctly) of bubbly. They imposed a curfew of 8pm on New Year's Eve, but we didn't have any plans of partying the night away anyway. All we needed was some food which we sourced from the local restaurant while one of us held the door open.

The next morning, we wanted a coffee as per usual and stopped in at a local bar quite early, where it was still pumping with revellers from the night before. So much for the tostadas, we ended up with a couple of churos instead... better than nothing.

Later that morning, my 5 day bout of gastro began... say no more. :eek:

I'll be around Valenca this years NYE too, Herman. Looking forward to meeting you somewhere on the road. Where/when do you start?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Should be starting from Porto on the morning of the 28th Dec., heading for Sao Pedro de Rates . Sao Pedro de Rates to Alto de Portela (Tamel). Alto de Portela (Tamel) to Ponte de Lima. Ponte de Lima to Valenca and so on via the new alternative route Camino de la Costa (ao Salnés).

Last edited:
Should be starting from Porto on the morning of the 28th Dec., heading for Sao Pedro de Rates . Sao Pedro de Rates to Alto de Portela (Tamel). Alto de Portela (Tamel) to Ponte de Lima. Ponte de Lima to Valenca and so on via the new alternative route Camino de la Costa (ao Salnés).

I expect that you could show some pictures, and also some information about the Caminho ao Salnés. I'm going to do it next year from Pontevedra ;)

I expect that you could show some pictures, and also some information about the Caminho ao Salnés. I'm going to do it next year from Pontevedra ;)
As I do Herman !

Wir sind sehr gespannt und sehen deine Information mit Belangstellung entgegen!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I promise you guys that I'll take plenty of photos and gather as much information as I can! I'm really looking forward to it!! :)

Hi Herman,
Is this the same Caminho Portuguese that you walked in 2013? Or are you taking a different route?

David

Hi
Hi Herman,
Is this the same Caminho Portuguese that you walked in 2013? Or are you taking a different route?

David

Hi David,

The coastal route out of Porto would be lovely in good weather, but I don't fancy a face full of sand for most of the first day. That I'll have to leave for another time, preferably not in winter. We'll be going one stop further on the metro from Porto though the first morning before beginning to walk. By getting off at Forum Maia last time, I still had to walk through a bit of nasty industrial area, so I think this time it'll be better to take the other line and get off at Vilar Pinheiro instead. Funny though now that I think of it, I stoped in at a cafe in the industrial area last time and it reminded me of the scene from An American Werewolf in London, when the 2 backpackers stop in at the Slaughtered Lamb Inn in the north of England.

It'll pretty much be the same as last year up until Redondela where I'll be taking the new alternative route. I have to show my wife the Portuguese Camino so it'll be a pleasure stopping in again at the great places I did last year. I've researched the route a little more and will be taking some new GPS tracks to steer me more along the dirt paths for the side-trips listed in the Brierly guide.

Once we reach Padron with the boat, it'll be along the main Portuguese Camino which I kind of missed last time due to my illness. I had to retire early and stay at the Albergue in Valga and then stick to the main roads all the way to Santiago in hope of a Cafe with toilet (not going into detail). I will surely be happy about not staying at the "Albergue" in San Mamede da Portela this time again in winter. Yes, it was better than having to sleep in the rain, but only marginally.

Oh and yes, I nearly forgot, this time I'll be taking some rubber tips for my Leki poles!

Cheers,

The German

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back