• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie needing advice

missb

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk from Sarria to Santiago in May 2020
Hi,
I’m new to the site. I’m planning my first trip from Sarria to Santiago during the May half term next year.
I’ll be travelling from Liverpool so there are no direct flights. At the moment the choice is take either take a flight to Dublin then Santiago, or the drive to Stansted then fly to Santiago. The flights arrive early evening, so I’m wondering how easy it is to get from Santiago to Sarria at that time. I’m restricted to times to dates because I’m a teacher so only have the week from 23rd May. I will be travelling alone too.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get my flights booked in soon so that I definitely do this!
Thanks in advance.
Karen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are buses regularly from the Santiago airport to Lugo, with regular connecting buses from Lugo to Sarria. You won't have a problem getting to Sarria depending on what you mean by "early evening."

1572695551722.png

Estación de Autobuses (Lugo) - Estación de Autobuses (Sarria)

Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 06:40 - Llegada: 07:10 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 08:15 - Llegada: 08:45 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 10:30 - Llegada: 11:00 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 13:35 - Llegada: 14:05 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 15:20 - Llegada: 15:50 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 17:30 - Llegada: 18:00 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 18:35 - Llegada: 19:05 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 20:35 - Llegada: 21:05 (00h 30min)

There are buses regularly from the Santiago airport to Lugo, with regular connecting buses from Lugo to Sarria. You won't have a problem getting to Sarria depending on what you mean by "early evening."

View attachment 66350

Estación de Autobuses (Lugo) - Estación de Autobuses (Sarria)

Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 08:15 - Llegada: 08:45 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 10:30 - Llegada: 11:00 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 13:35 - Llegada: 14:05 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 15:20 - Llegada: 15:50 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 18:35 - Llegada: 19:05 (00h 30min)
Lunes 04/11/2019 - Salida: 20:35 - Llegada: 21:05 (00h 30min)
Thank you for your help 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The above is a very good suggestion.

Note. You MUST connect at Lugo to get to Sarria. There are no direct buses from the airport. But the Lugo bus station is large and well marked. Just ask anyone... "...donde el autobus para Sarria?" (Where is the bus for Sarria?)

My only additional recommendation is to make a reservation to stay that first night. Hotels have reception desks and personnel. Albergues and some hostals do not.

Sleeping rough on your first night is not a good way to start any Camino. ;)

Try booking.com or gronze.com (only in Spanish).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The above is a very good suggestion.

Note. You MUST connect at Lugo to get to Sarria. There are no direct buses from the airport. But the Lugo bus station is large and well marked. Just ask anyone... "...donde el autobus para Sarria?" (Where is the bus for Sarria?)

My only additional recommendation is to make a reservation to stay that first night. Hotels have reception desks and personnel. Albergues and some hostals do not.

Sleeping rough on your first night is not a good way to start any Camino. ;)

Try booking.com or gronze.com (only in Spanish).

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will book a couple of night along the way.

@missb , kia ora (welcome, greetings, good health)

From one whose home is less than a kilometre from the oceans and nearly 100 metres above sea level and with hills of up to 400 metres abounding, walking up and down hills is a regular occurrence. My recollection of Liverpool is some hills are few, steep and short, but none are significantly high.

So as to maximise your enjoyment of your limited time away and to build up your stamina and fitness of both body and mind for long distance walking each day for five days I suggest you consider working up to achieving, say:
1) 15 kilometres before stopping for breakfast; and
2) 400 metres of elevation gain before ...
and all with the clothing, pack and other stuff you expect to take on the way.

Not quite what you were asking about, I know. Having devoted your one spare week I would hope you get maximum enjoyment.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are train connections from Santiago to Sarria via Ourence that may be more convenient. Also, are there any flights to A Corona? Train connections there too as well as bus.

@Juspassinthrough , I also like train travel. And I like simplicity better.

Would you really have me have me travel from Santiago Airport (SCQ labacolla) back to Santiago bus station at the top of the town. Then walk (whatever) navigating as I go down to the rail station at the bottom of the town. My guess is about 2 hours so far, plus waiting time. I would rather wait in the relative luxury of the airport and their cafe.

Having got to Sarria I then have to navigate from train station at the edge of town on to my accommodation.
I do think @falcon269 and the website I have just referred to have got it right on this occasion.

Kia ora (greetings and good health)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@missb , kia ora (welcome, greetings, good health)

From one whose home is less than a kilometre from the oceans and nearly 100 metres above sea level and with hills of up to 400 metres abounding, walking up and down hills is a regular occurrence. My recollection of Liverpool is some hills are few, steep and short, but none are significantly high.

So as to maximise your enjoyment of your limited time away and to build up your stamina and fitness of both body and mind for long distance walking each day for five days I suggest you consider working up to achieving, say:
1) 15 kilometres before stopping for breakfast; and
2) 400 metres of elevation gain before ...
and all with the clothing, pack and other stuff you expect to take on the way.

Not quite what you were asking about, I know. Having devoted your one spare week I would hope you get maximum enjoyment.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
Thank you for the advice Alwyn 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.