• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nimblewill Nomad's Record-Breaking Completion of the Appalachian Trail at Age 83

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fantastic. Respect.
Unfortunately, I need to subscribe to read it.

Fantastic. Respect.
Unfortunately, I need to subscribe to read it.
You should be able to read it from this unlocked link

How to share NYT articles with non-subscribers.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Heaphy Track is one of NZ Great walks, 78km that walkers usually take 4 days to traverse. It is a tremendous walk but one big challenge is the length of road between the start and finish.You can walk in either direction.
Derry Kingston was an active walker who retired from his work and then set up a business taking walker's cars from one end to the other, if he got a car to drive back you got a discount, otherwise he would drive and then return walk in 19-20 hours.
He did this from 2003 to 2018, and retired again at 72.
This is Derry in the middle of pic (I am at right) during one of his last walk backs, other pic shows the car return path.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.26.22 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.26.22 pm.png
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1026.jpeg
    IMG_1026.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Heaphy Track is one of NZ Great walks, 78km that walkers usually take 4 days to traverse. It is a tremendous walk but one big challenge is the length of road between the start and finish.You can walk in either direction.
Derry Kingston was an active walker who retired from his work and then set up a business taking walker's cars from one end to the other, if he got a car to drive back you got a discount, otherwise he would drive and then return walk in 19-20 hours.
He did this from 2003 to 2018, and retired again at 72.
This is Derry in the middle of pic (I am at right) during one of his last walk backs, other pic shows the car return path.
I met this guy (I think) or a DOC ranger when I walked the Heaphy. Who ever it was they often completed the trail from end to end in less than a day. Way out of my league.

I also remember clearly, swimming in the mountain stream on the Gouland Downs. The water was so cold that it actually felt hot on my skin.

I met this guy (I think) or a DOC ranger when I walked the Heaphy. Who ever it was they often completed the trail from end to end in less than a day. Way out of my league.

I also remember clearly, swimming in the mountain stream on the Gouland Downs. The water was so cold that it actually felt hot on my skin.
this news article says :-
"Kingston likes to set himself challenges. He once walked 130km in just one day, leaving the Karamea pub at 10pm and arriving at the Collingwood Tavern exactly 24 hours later. He took a kitchen timer for 10-minute naps on the track. "

There was also a guy doing similar service on the Routeburne Track, they knew each other and one got the idea from the other (but I forget which was the original). The Routeburne guy would back walk it in a day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whaaat?!
I'm speechless.
Yes and the drive part from near Milford Sound to top of the lake above Queenstown is looong too.

Not sure if this service is a continuation but it says :-
THE ROUTEBURN TRACK CAN BE HIKED / RUN IN JUST 1-2 DAYS.

Yeah. They'd have to be running. Quite the terrain to be doing that, I have to say. Respect.

Those Southland DOC guys are tough as nails. I met a few of them when we were all stuck for days at Mason Bay on Stewart Island in a massive storm (1990? Something like that) - and they had easily walked in one day what had taken me 2½. Carrying way more than I was.

(They had come for the weekend on a lark to hunt deer and were missing work on the mainland. But we had to eat all their venison. Good folk; and an unforgettable 'mishap' that was way better than boring old things going as planned.)

Sorry off topic. But a happy memory.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nimblewill Nomad Complete the Appalachian Trail at age 83 setting a new record
We met 93-year-old Dorothea Adaskin and her daughter Tanya Bigge from Washington state in Sahagún hiking the Francés in 2017. I do know they both made it to Santiago from St. Jean Pied de Port over 46 days. I don't know if there are records of the oldest person completing the entire route, but this has to be close.

I agree... never too old. My first Camino.... SOLO..... from SJPDP to Compostela was in 2015 at the age of 77 and my second was 3 years later in 2018 to celebrate my 80th birthday... again the full 500 miles SOLO; and then I also went to the Finisterre and Muxia. I took my time and 50 days to do these walks. Many times alone as I walked my own pace; I stayed in Hostels along the way. Many pilgrims would slow down and walk with me a stretch just to hear my story. I made many friends and I'm still in touch with several of them. And several walked more than a day with me.
We'd planned a family trip in 2021 for several of our group to walk the Portugal route and others to drive the car and meet us every night, enjoying touring during the day. But, Covid happened and it was cancelled. Yes... I definitely want to walk another time. In preparation, I walk several miles a day, walk up a steep hill at least once a week and , on Saturday mornings I do a ten mile walk with my two daughters! Oh yes.... we live in a condo on the third floor and I only take the elevator when I've been shopping! Otherwise I walk two flights of stairs several times a day. Hopefully next year II will do my third walk at the age of 84. But it depends on Covid conditions. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We met 93-year-old Dorothea Adaskin and her daughter Tanya Bigge from Washington state in Sahagún hiking the Francés in 2017. I do know they both made it to Santiago from St. Jean Pied de Port over 46 days. I don't know if there are records of the oldest person completing the entire route, but this has to be close.
That gives us hope! We did Pamplona to Santiago in 2019. I was 73 and Peter was 79. He had his 80th birthday in Santiago. We are planning for possibly April - May in 2023 when he’ll be 83 and I’ll be 77. Walking every day now to keep those legs going!

Truly inspiring!
During our 2019 CF we met a lady from Oakland CA in an albergue in San Martin (just past Leon) who was 82. She was doing it solo, carrying her own pack, and having a grand time. Her daily average was about 10 miles, so probably a 50+ day schedule.
I told here that she was my hero, and that I hoped to be able to do it when I'm 82, which she thought was pretty funny. Oh well, we'll find out in about 15 years...
Hopefully we can do another practice hike later this year, on the CP.

Loved reading all the above & hoping to get back into the ‘swing of things’ in September on Portuguse………..hopefully COVID 19 will be a distant memory by then - been a long 2 years!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree... never too old. My first Camino.... SOLO..... from SJPDP to Compostela was in 2015 at the age of 77 and my second was 3 years later in 2018 to celebrate my 80th birthday... again the full 500 miles SOLO; and then I also went to the Finisterre and Muxia. I took my time and 50 days to do these walks. Many times alone as I walked my own pace; I stayed in Hostels along the way. Many pilgrims would slow down and walk with me a stretch just to hear my story. I made many friends and I'm still in touch with several of them. And several walked more than a day with me.
We'd planned a family trip in 2021 for several of our group to walk the Portugal route and others to drive the car and meet us every night, enjoying touring during the day. But, Covid happened and it was cancelled. Yes... I definitely want to walk another time. In preparation, I walk several miles a day, walk up a steep hill at least once a week and , on Saturday mornings I do a ten mile walk with my two daughters! Oh yes.... we live in a condo on the third floor and I only take the elevator when I've been shopping! Otherwise I walk two flights of stairs several times a day. Hopefully next year II will do my third walk at the age of 84. But it depends on Covid conditions. Buen Camino
Good luck to you, Martha! Walking and swimming are the best exercise. Hope to run across your path one of these years.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.