Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non-walking day on Camino Invierno?

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hola!

What village/town would you recommend to make a stop for non-walking day? I was thinking to end my stages at: Borrenes, Sobradelo, A Rua, Quiroga, A Pobra de Brollon, Castrotane, Chantada, Rodeiro, A Laxe and Ponte Ulla. It could be anywhere on the route, even near Ponferrada or SdC because I don't plan to stop there (I've seen both :wink: )

Thank you for your help!

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hello!

I suppose that really depends on what you enjoy more, nature or culture. there are not many big towns to choose from.

o barco de valdeorras is the first you come across but there is not much to see, just pretty houses and a river promenade.

a rua is the second. you can explore the old village of fontei where there is the private albergue, the old centre a rua vella and make a short walk to roman ponte cigarossa (about 2km one-way). I'm sure asunción from the albergue can make other suggestions.

from quiroga you can go see the former hospital of knigts of st john (about 2km one-way) but apart from that there is not much else.

monforte de lemos is the biggest town on the route and there is probably enough to occupy one day. the old town, the castle/monastery, convento de clarisas with museum, colexio NS antigua with museum, pazo muinos de antero (19C mill with a curious security system of peep holes), cruceiros, ermita s Lazaro with an inscription that mentiones a refugio, a stroll along the river, some good restaurants (o xugo on the square at colexio NS antigua, for example).

lalin is also bigger and has, for me at least, a very nice and relaxing atmosphere, two museums, one of an astronomer and one of puppets, and the old centre above, lalin arriba, where the route arrives (don't miss the church with shells all over!).

las medulas is certainly worth one whole afternoon (at least 2h30-3h), but apart from that there is nothing else there.

but for a day with legs in the air, I would say barxa de lor = a ponte with the fine medieval bridge (pension is supposed to be about 300m away, and another further along the main road), or santo estevo with the romanesque church with a beautiful portal (this one is about 3km off route and has an english-speaking BB where they tell you how to get there from diomondi).

hope that helps a little.

Hi Caminika, Thanks for your input as it helps all kinds of folks! I 'm heading off for eight days walking in late August but probably play safe and ramble from Ferol to Muxia. Might have a free evening and thinking of walking out to Camarinas.
Buen Camino.

PS. Caminaris is close to Muxia & Pri,....,foxy retre.......oooops I might be banned .Blah, blah y Buen xcamino a todos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks caminka, that helps a lot, because I'm more interested in personal observations than of those in guide-books.
Hvala!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back