• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte vs Frances

David Stockholm

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte or Frances in June 2016
Hi all! Me and a friend are doing a short hike (4-5 days) in early June and we are weighing our options between either the first legs of the Norte (probably Irun - Guernika) or the first legs of the Frances (SJPP to Logrono). Which one of these stretches should we choose? Subjective opinions are highly welcome, as are nuanced pro's and con's :).
Beauty is far more important than convenience. We are both fairly strong walkers. Many thanks!
David

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have not walked the Norte but I live nearby and I periodically walk from Biarritz to Hendaye, so accept this as an inexpert opinion.
Irun to Guernika will be days and days of many ups and downs as you walk near the Atlantic coast on the Bay of Biscay, sort fjord to fjord and on to the next fjord. (There has to be a Spanish word for this kind of landscape but I don't know it.)
If you do the CF from SJPdP you will be walking in the pristine Pyrenees mountains for a few days and on to Pamplona, it will be less urban but more crowded with pilgrims than the Norte.

I've walked both. Completely different experiences, both good. If you are after a soltary walk with beautiful landscape, interesting towns and good food, do the Norte. An experience rather similar to many other lovely places in the world.

If you are after a unique experience, do the CF. As you are considering the first section you will still get the beautiful landscape, but a whole lot of other things as well. It gets my vote.

Do a bit of reading about the history of the Camino before you go. There are traces of the medieval pilgrimage and the Roman road that still remain. Knowing a bit really does enrich the experience.

Btw I do thoroughly agree with your plan to walk the first section, whichever route you choose, and not to try and "hop" through the whole route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
SJPDP to Logrono would most probably need more than 4-5 days for many pilgrims. But if you are really strong walkers and are prepared to do long days you might make it. What do others think?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
SJPDP to Logrono would most probably need more than 4-5 days for many pilgrims. But if you are really strong walkers and are prepared to do long days you might make it. What do others think?
Many thanks Maryimelda and others! I realize that Logrono might be optimistic; but we're flexible regarding where to end our walk, so that won't be a problem.

I've walked both. Completely different experiences, both good. If you are after a soltary walk with beautiful landscape, interesting towns and good food, do the Norte. An experience rather similar to many other lovely places in the world.

If you are after a unique experience, do the CF. As you are considering the first section you will still get the beautiful landscape, but a whole lot of other things as well. It gets my vote.

Do a bit of reading about the history of the Camino before you go. There are traces of the medieval pilgrimage and the Roman road that still remain. Knowing a bit really does enrich the experience.

Btw I do thoroughly agree with your plan to walk the first section, whichever route you choose, and not to try and "hop" through the whole route.
Thanks Kanga, for your nuanced response! Ah, the tough choices we face... Have already done a lot of reading. Research is half the fun! ;)

(I posted this in the Frances section already)
Hi all! Me and a friend are doing a short hike (4-5 days) in early June and we are weighing our options between either the first legs of the Norte (probably Irun - Guernika) or the first legs of the Frances (SJPP to Logrono). Which one of these stretches should we choose? How is the stretch between pamplona and Logrono? Subjective and assertive opinions are highly welcome, as are nuanced pro's and con's :).
Beauty is far more important than convenience. We are both fairly strong walkers. Many thanks!
David
I've walked the Frances and the Norte, then the Primitivo. The Frances will be more crowded , the Norte less so. As far as difficulty, the early stages of the Norte will, IMO be more challenging, especially the stretch through Guernica. The ambiance will be better in the Frances (more people, especially Americans) not as many people on the Norte, hardly any Americans. I did the Frances in October 2011 and there were almost no Americans then. But when I merged from the Primitivo in Arzu in October 2015 it suddenly was a stampede! Seems like the tour operators have been working overtime over the last 4 years. I think the film "The Way" had something to do with it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(I posted this in the Frances section already)
Hi all! Me and a friend are doing a short hike (4-5 days) in early June and we are weighing our options between either the first legs of the Norte (probably Irun - Guernika) or the first legs of the Frances (SJPP to Logrono). Which one of these stretches should we choose? How is the stretch between pamplona and Logrono? Subjective and assertive opinions are highly welcome, as are nuanced pro's and con's :).
David
Hi David,
I haven't walked the del Norte so I can't comment on it, but here's my thoughts on the Francés:
Even though you say you are strong walkers, I doubt that you'll make it from St Jean to Logroño in 4-5 days. You can easily do Pamplona to Logrono in that time, though, and I'd have to say that the stretch between Pamplona and Logroño (and on to Burgos) was my favorite stretch of the Camino Francés. The terrain is varied, mostly rolling hills and with only one notable hill to climb -- and descend -- at the Alto de Perdón. Overall, I'd call it "pastoral" for lack of a better word. If you have time, you could walk on beyond Logroño to Nájera.

Hi David,
I haven't walked the del Norte so I can't comment on it, but here's my thoughts on the Francés:
Even though you say you are strong walkers, I doubt that you'll make it from St Jean to Logroño in 4-5 days. You can easily do Pamplona to Logrono in that time, though, and I'd have to say that the stretch between Pamplona and Logroño (and on to Burgos) was my favorite stretch of the Camino Francés. The terrain is varied, mostly rolling hills and with only one notable hill to climb -- and descend -- at the Alto de Perdón. Overall, I'd call it "pastoral" for lack of a better word. If you have time, you could walk on beyond Logroño to Nájera.
You're most probably right about us not being able to get to logrono in 4 days, but good to hear that the walk onwards from pamplona is nice, was a bit unsure about that stretch. Valuable info, mil gracias!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back