• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost - Frances vs. Portuguese?

bkkboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi.
I plan to walk either the French or Portuguese caminos next year with family members and am working out a budget. Since I want to keep costs to a minimum, is the Portuguese camino cheaper than the French route for food and accommodation? On average, how much did people pay, per day, this year?
Thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are at least two other threads started in the past week asking about costs on the CP. You can find my contribution to them here and here. Note that the data was collected when I walked the CP from Valenca, so collected in Spain. My experience is that costs in Spain are generally slightly higher than those in Portugal, but I haven't walked the CF recently enough to give you current daily cost information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found the costs to be pretty much the same between the two routes. That being said, I found more options to be available on the Frances, simply, I suspect, because it is more popular. The friendliness and helpfulness was equal on both.
I wish I could give you the numbers you want/need for your planning. However, I did not keep track! My overall budget on the CP, which I did last October, was on the low side, and I never ran out of money.
On the other hand, I am a cheapskate.

Based on a lot of recent posts of the same nature - plan on €50-60/day. If it winds up being less, be pleasantly surprised and perhaps treat yourself to a private room, a massage or both 😊
Good luck and Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked CF in 2019 and CP (from Porto) 2023. I think the costs are about the same with the CF a bit lower. I think CF is a bit lower because there are more choices as far as food & lodging. Especially with the lodging - more of the less expensive albergues available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With all Respect Due IMHO anything pre COVID is gone into the annals of yesteryear.
CF in may-june/22 averaged me €40/day and as I stated above more recent posts suggest that the prices did go up even more, however slightly

Hi.
I plan to walk either the French or Portuguese caminos next year with family members and am working out a budget. Since I want to keep costs to a minimum, is the Portuguese camino cheaper than the French route for food and accommodation? On average, how much did people pay, per day, this year?
Thanks in advance
Hi,
I have walked both, the French almost 10 years ago and the Portuguese, starting in Lisbon in 2019, so I cannot speak to recent costs on the French. That being said, when looking in the current guide book, the prices do not look too expensive for the albergues on the French. I think that there are many more choices for accommodation and food on the French, which could ultimately save some money. It was much more difficult to find reasonable accommodation on the Portuguese. I am headed back to do the French Camino in April and very excited to walk that Camino again. I am sure that you will make the right decision for you and your family. Buen Camino

I walked the CF 4 years ago and had daily average cost of ~23€ (excl. transportation to and from start and goal). Walked the CP from Porto this July and had average cost of ~27€ per day.

Slightly increased in the past 4 years. Mix of private and mostly municipal albergues (11€ in average per night). Food, coffee and drinks were a bit cheaper in Portugal, but not much. Most evenings pilgrims meal, only 3 times self catering/communal meal.

If you stay in municipal albergues (used the list of the forum) you'll have an inexpensive and very impressive walk, either if you are on the CF or the CP.
Used Donativos 2 times on each Camino and had very much fun and good experience on all occasions.

HTH

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi.
Thanks in advance
You’re traveling from a long way from Iberia. The rest of the cost and the local difference in cost will be marginal. As you’ve not said how many days you are planning for or what type of accommodation you are planning to use your question is unanswerable in any meaningful way. Portugal, food cheap accommodation expensive: Spain otherwise. None of this may be true

As one crosses the bridge into Spain, the price of a beer goes up about 20%. The effect on your cost will depend on the personal ‘basket of goods’ which comprises your daily spend. In my case it went up by 20%.

There are more supermarkets on the Portuguese side of the border than the local population could support, indicating a degree of cross-border trade.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A real factor could well be what airport you fly to. Some airports are served by budget airlines others are not, plus the cost of internal transport to reach starting point of either Frances or Portuguese. Apologies if I am stating the obvious.

You’re traveling from a long way from Iberia. The rest of the cost and the local difference in cost will be marginal. As you’ve not said how many days you are planning for or what type of accommodation you are planning to use your question is unanswerable in any meaningful way. Portugal, food cheap accommodation expensive: Spain otherwise. None of this may be true
The travel cost difference btwn Spain and Portugal, may be more than the Camino cost difference.

Realize that when most people say they are walking the Cami I Portugues, they are still walking a majority of the route (if not all of it) in Spain. It’s like the Camino Frances, which is mostly in Spain, too. So prices in Spain vs prices in Spain are, not surprisingly, relatively the same with some variation on the CF because of the amount of food and accommodation choices giving you more of a range.

As others have said, the greatest cost may well be where you are flying into and out of, plus ground transportation to/from the airport.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi.
Thanks in advance
Refer to Gronze or to Eroski and you will find current costs. Try StingyNomads, they are creative! Keep saving. No matter how much you have, you need a buffer. Buen camino, however you travel to Santiago!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back