• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern route

capetowngirl

Hello, I am planning to walk the Northern coastal route of the Camino late May. It has been a few years that I have had a longing to do this (I was not sure of which route at the time) but the opportunity has finally arrived... I've been searching the web for some info on this route but I cannot seem to find much so any tips and pointers would be very very much appreciated! I am only planning my trip now so it feels a bit like jumping in the deep end and I am a bit overwhelmed by all the DO's and DONTS! So at the moment I am focusing on getting fit and healthy...I am lucky enough to live in Cape Town with a great mountain to climb everyday :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, capetowngirl, you've made a great decision. It's a beautiful route.

If you go to the Camino del Norte section of this forum, you'll find lots of information on the Norte, in fact more than 100 threads. I posted a description of the stages I did in 2006 here: el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html and there are lots of more recent postings with additional information.

I think the main decision confronting Norte walkers is whether to stay on the Norte all the way to Santiago (that option stays on the coast till Ribadesella and then moves southward to Santiago through Galicia), or to go south at Villaviciosa (before Gijon) on the Asturian coast and in Oviedo connect with the Camino Primitivo into Santiago. Both options are spectacular so you can't go wrong!

I walked the Norte starting in Irun in early May and the Primitivo from Oviedo in late September. May-June weather should be nice, but you never know.

There are lots of people here who have walked the Norte, so just ask away.

Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello CapeTowngirl,

Here are a few websites to get you surfing!

http://www.caminosnorte.org/caminos.htm#costa

http://www.gawthorpe40.freeserve.co.uk/ Mostly Camino Norte but with a few pages and info on the Primitivo as well.

http://raunsbjerg.dk/ Diary

http://flickr.com/photos/juanjeitor/set ... 299475269/ Photos

Notice of A Camino workshop in Cape Town this Saturday -
The Confraternity of St James of SA is hosting workshops for all planning to walk the Camino this year. We will give practical advice, show you what to pack and what not to pack, how to prepare, about your feet, and answer your questions. Veteran pilgrims are welcome to share knowledge and advice. You can also get your Camino passport here and join the confraternity. Please reserve your place so we can print a set of notes for you too!

CAPE TOWN: Venue: 44 Beach Blv, Table View (a grey house on the beachfront next to Spectrum Flats). When: Saturday 7th March 2009 from 10:00 for 10.30 to about 13:00+. Cost: R10 pp. Reservations: Andrée 021 552 2525 or andreelombard@absamail.co.za or Elmara 021 554 1786 or elmara@telkomsa.net

Drukkies from a Durban girl!

Thank you everyone for all this info...wow I have a lot of websurfing to do... And thank you "durban girl!" I will be attending the workshop on Saturday. I am so excited that my dream is finally changing to reality.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back