• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

November Lucca to Rome

Myway

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 November Francigena from Lucca to Rome
Hi, I’m D and was wondering if anybody has info on walking the via Francigena from Lucca to Rome in November. Is it easy to find accommodation in albergue’s and would also like to know about the weather, I know it’s unpredictable but any info would be appreciated. I’m looking at starting around the 9/11/24.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi D,
As your trip is still a whole year away, I suggest you monitor the weather for your intended region now. Following the weather this year will be your best indicator of what to expect at the same time next year...major climatic events aside!
Happy planning 🤗
👣🌏

Hi @Myway weather conditions may vary, but in general, in November in Tuscany and Lazio you can expect autumn weather with cooler temperatures than in the summer months. You can expect highs of 15 degrees, sometimes rainy days, but in recent years the climate is very variable and it is difficult to make predictions. It is always advisable to check the weather forecast closest to your travel date for the most accurate information.
As for open accommodations, however, some pilgrim's albergues remain open, otherwise there are many private hostels that are also open during the winter months. For a detailed list of accommodations and stages see this web page https://app.forwalk.org/4/5/en-us/13/#11.5/42.9/7/0

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HI, How exciting to be planning your camino! My husband and I just finished walking from Milan to Rome in September/October. I found this site very helpful in locating monasteries, etc. to stay in. https://ospitalitareligiosa.it/en/

Most of the time I didn't contact them through that website, but once I located them, I emailed directly to the location and always got a quick response. For the ones I did contact through the site, the response was also quick.

In Monteriggioni, we stayed here: Casa per ferry Santa Maria Assunta, in San Gimgano we stayed here: http://www.monasterosangirolamo.it/index.php?p=accoglienza

Advice from above is all good and to the point. My wife and I walked from Switzerland to Rome in the fall of 2021, covering the Lucca - Rome section from late October into mid-November. Separately, we also did the Lazio sections into Rome in December, 2018. November, in general, should be a good time to walk, as there is little shade in Tuscany, and October can still be blisteringly hot. Though, of course, the days will be much shorter, with sunset before 5PM. For weather averages, my go-to site is www.weatherspark.com. Just plug in random cities and the month you're interested in.

The best site, in general, for accommodations is www.gronze.com, the Bible of the Spanish caminos, which now also covers the Via Francigena from Switzerland to Rome. Open in Chrome browser for English translation. Gronze is very up-to-date with opening and closing dates, and also tells you how far the lodgings are from the Via, which is important in these heavily-touristed regions, where there is plenty of lodgings but often not near the trail. It also has reviews. Way more useful for pinning down accommodations than the guidebooks or the official Via Francigena app. Like Samos, above, we also enjoyed our monastery stays.

If you'd like our itinerary, with suggestions on (possibly) by-passing unattractive stretches, let me know. I also put together a logistical / resource guide which covers Switzerland from Lake Geneva to Rome.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.