• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Now (27 Nov 2021) on Via de la Plata

NigelKing

Time of past OR future Camino
English
Hi. I’m Nigel. 67 year old, currently living out of a converted pickup truck trying to walk as much of the Camino from Seville as possible, but with a walking disability that restricts how much I can do per day.

It’s pretty lonely. Seen no one so far and Albergues have been closed. Day 3 on the Camino, day 45 getting to the Camino. Driven 6400km so far, but seen friends in the way.

My problem is trying to get stamps and speaking almost no Spanish, just got Google translate. Currently outside Castilblanco hoping it will open this morning, wasn’t open last night. Are many Albergues closed now? Time of year, Covid etc.

Currently all I can do is write a note in my passport and take a picture outside the Albergue. Would this do for the certificate?

Interestingly I picked up an abandoned receipt on the path between Guillena and Castilblanco indicating a party of 10 plus Camino walkers having passed recently, maybe a week ago. Anyone know where this party is?

Many thanks from a slightly lonely pilgrim.

First picture is my truck parked up near Guillena Albergue. Others just pics on the Camino.

Nigel.

Attachments

• E88843B3-8DCD-48BC-B63C-EDD449A8ED6D.jpeg
    E88843B3-8DCD-48BC-B63C-EDD449A8ED6D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 154
  • 71CD4085-50B1-4514-A3ED-3C11410F44B9.jpeg
    71CD4085-50B1-4514-A3ED-3C11410F44B9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 135
  • 799C739E-7DCB-40AA-ACE7-E66F117A892A.jpeg
    799C739E-7DCB-40AA-ACE7-E66F117A892A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 305E1463-8D26-429C-A0EE-AA50FC992D38.jpeg
    305E1463-8D26-429C-A0EE-AA50FC992D38.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 179
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
You're out there at last, Nigel! Good news.
Buen camino!
But ayyiyi ... the sticky mud!!! That can't be easy on your fused ankle.

It's no surprise the number of pilgrims is low, given the time of year. Someone else here can probably give more detailed information about albergues, but if they are just locked and no-one's around that doesn't necessarily mean they're closed. In many small pueblos, you get the key from someone - a bar or the ayutamiento. And Gronze will have up to date info about winter closures.

You can get stamps for your credencial in many places - even town halls and police stations, but certainly bars as well. Just ask. Fortunately google translate mostly works...

Ahhh. Thanks VN. That’s good to know that I can get a stamp in other places. Google translate here we go!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
NigelKing,
Glad to learn that you are on your way!
Local people running a business are often very willing to give a sello; gas station folk especially even for a pilgrim walking by.

Carpe diem and Buen camino.
Thank you MSPath! Picked up a stamp at a restaurant. I think I’m getting the hang of it now. Time for a walk now. Chilly but lovely sunshine.

Buen Camino

Hi. I’m Nigel. 67 year old, currently living out of a converted pickup truck trying to walk as much of the Camino from Seville as possible, but with a walking disability that restricts how much I can do per day.

It’s pretty lonely. Seen no one so far and Albergues have been closed. Day 3 on the Camino, day 45 getting to the Camino. Driven 6400km so far, but seen friends in the way.

My problem is trying to get stamps and speaking almost no Spanish, just got Google translate. Currently outside Castilblanco hoping it will open this morning, wasn’t open last night. Are many Albergues closed now? Time of year, Covid etc.

Currently all I can do is write a note in my passport and take a picture outside the Albergue. Would this do for the certificate?

Interestingly I picked up an abandoned receipt on the path between Guillena and Castilblanco indicating a party of 10 plus Camino walkers having passed recently, maybe a week ago. Anyone know where this party is?

First picture is my truck parked up near Guillena Albergue. Others just pics on the Camino.

Nigel.
Nice truck.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Nigel.
Hi Nigel,
I just walked Norte via Ingles. I had posted photos and daily stories. Many kind people on this forum read my humble post and cheered me on. That made me feel like I was walking with a big Camino family. Don't feel alone because we will be thinking of you. Mera

If you have passed Mérida, Nigel, you have probably now found a greater number of pilgrims, as the Camino Mozárabe joins you there. Certainly, you will find a lot more company from Zamora onwards, despite the much less busy time of year. There is a choice of three routes from Zamora; those heading via Astorga and Ourense are both usually busy. I trust that you will thoroughly enjoy the rest of Camino. It sounds very demanding but a great expedition!
You say that your Spanish is very limited, but the expression "Soy un peregrino" (I am a pilgrim) is a good start, along with "Tiene un sello [say-yo], por favor" (Do you have a stamp, please) and "Hay un albergue (Is there an albergue) are also useful basics. In your circumstances, you will find that hospitaleros in any open albergue will give you good advice, a stamp, and possibly a nice cold or hot drink if you want one.
With all good wishes, Nigel. I look forward to reading about your progress. Tom Hagger

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please do post regularly. We will live somewhat vicariously through you during your walk and many here can offer daily advice about your route.

I’ve met the occasional pilgrim doing what you are doing - walking and then backtracking to collect your support vehicle. The pilgrim office will focus on your 2 stamps per day for the last 100 km, so don’t worry if you miss a few early on.

Buen camino!

Blessings, thank you Tom. I never expected to find this kind of support on the forum. It is sooo welcome.

Would you like a crazy story? About an hour ago in Minesterio I was having a little bit of trouble with google translate in the the company of a man and his girlfriend, and three friends. Both were incredibly helpful and took me to a location where I could get a stamp. But the translation….. you HAVE to see the picture. Three times it came up with this translation and spoke it out loud to everyone who threw their hands up and said No No No!!

Attachments

• 025A6C2A-273A-4DE4-AE84-C5095B3F4125.png
    025A6C2A-273A-4DE4-AE84-C5095B3F4125.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 98
Don't worry about that right now. The only stamps that really count towards receiving a Compostela are those that you get in the last 100 km before Santiago.

Please do post regularly. We will live somewhat vicariously through you during your walk and many here can offer daily advice about your route.

I’ve met the occasional pilgrim doing what you are doing - walking and then backtracking to collect your support vehicle. The pilgrim office will focus on your 2 stamps per day for the last 100 km, so don’t worry if you miss a few early on.

Buen camino!
Hi Northern Light, my companions today were huge dogs that I think protect goats, and Mario and Jo, who backtracked me to my vehicle in Almaden. Have some pictures amigo to entertain you. I got chased by a big black pig! 7D92F223-1D11-4C72-9880-7D8E06E3D60C.jpeg4B789C6E-A7BD-44AD-8EF7-74BED7178FDA.jpegE35BD1CD-5936-44A8-A6AF-C77C2880A961.jpegBE9D1378-5362-4956-A3EF-43D132A63255.jpegDC4152D5-1922-46C5-AE7B-8DA73F65331B.jpeg
Don't worry about that right now. The only stamps that really count towards receiving a Compostela are those that you get in the last 100 km before Santiago.
Oh dear. Please help me with some information here. There is no way I can walk the last 100km and do two stamps a day. Because of my disability I have to do a mix of walking and driving. By the time I get to Santiago I will easily have walked 100km, possibly a lot more, but over the whole route from Seville. Will this discount me then?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will have to make stops on the last 100 kms. at cafes etc. to collect stamps.

It depends on if you are walking for religious reasons; if it is important for you to receive a Compostela. If so, you need 2 stamps/day the lat 100 kms. If not, just enjoy the ride. And again, Buen Camino!

You will have to make stops on the last 100 kms. at cafes etc. to collect stamps.

It depends on if you are walking for religious reasons; if it is important for you to receive a Compostela. If so, you need 2 stamps/day the lat 100 kms. If not, just enjoy the ride. And again, Buen Camino!
Hi Alex, I’m still not clear. Are you saying I have to walk ( not walk/drive) the last 100km and get two stamps per day. If so are stamps available every 5km? That’s the only way I could manage it. My passport is in Spanish so I don’t understand it and there is no one to translate it.

Many thanks.

Nigel, if you are walking for religious or other spiritual reasons, but find that you do not qualify for the Compostela, you can always go to the Church of San Francisco, which is a few yards past the Pilgrim Office. There you can receive a blessing and a very nice Certificate of Blessing. It is a beautiful Baroque church. You could tap at the door at the far end of the church, to the left of the altar, or at the main door of the Convento, which is alongside the church on the left. You will find them very helpful. Tom

Further to Alex's message above, the Pilgrim Office is generally happy with one stamp per day for the last 100 km for people who have started their pilgrimage from a far greater distance. They may well accept a single stamp for each day from you in your circumstances, and you will have no difficulties getting plenty of stamgs, particularly if you go via Astorga onto the Camino Francés. I have never bothered to get two stamps a day for the last 100 km and have experienced no problems. Tom

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been thinking about your situation, being somewhat hindered but still doing it.

I walked the VdlP in 2012-2013. On the way I met an old farmer in his 70s, Guntram, from Austria. His ONLY goal was to receive his Compostela, being profoundly religious. Only problem was that he got terrible blister: I do not mean ordinary, but open wounds. I tried to heal them, but they were beyond repair. His feet looked terrible: I have never seen such bad feet. But he carried on, limping towards Santiago.

Finally, he had to give in: 60 kms. from Santiago, he was told by a doctor that if he continued, feet amputation was a likely outcome.

So he had to take a bus the last kms. to Santiago...

When there, he went to the Pilgrims Office and explained the situation, and asked if he could get a Compostela anyway, as it was his sole purpose of having walked almost 1000 kms. He said he was willing to show his feet to the office workers as proof of his devotion. They answered: "Not necessary".

He got his Compostela. God bless the man. And the Pilgrims Office.

Last edited:
Hi Alex, I’m still not clear. Are you saying I have to walk ( not walk/drive) the last 100km and get two stamps per day. If so are stamps available every 5km? That’s the only way I could manage it. My passport is in Spanish so I don’t understand it and there is no one to translate it.

Many thanks.
Stamps are available literally everywhere. They are crazy about stamps on the Caminos. Bars, cafes, albergues, gas stations, shops of everykind. Just ask for "Un sello possible, por favor". You have to be selective in order not to fill your pilgrim passport too early :). But if you do, just get a sheet of paper, and attach it to your passport. The Pilgrims Office will understand and accept (I am a former volunteer and official at the PO).

Edit: The walk is between you and yourself. Do what is needed to achieve your goal. Of course, Jesus will know if you drive, bus, taxi, or walk, But he is a very very forgiving guy, so I guess if you do it the way you can, all is well. @NigelKing : FYI: I am also 67, and planning my next (and many more) Caminos..

Last edited:
Hi Alex, I’m still not clear. Are you saying I have to walk ( not walk/drive) the last 100km and get two stamps per day. If so are stamps available every 5km?
Yes, but as @alexwalker mentioned, exceptions can be made.

My passport is in Spanish so I don’t understand it and there is no one to translate it.
You can find the translation of what it says in your credential here:

This is the important part:

• The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.
  • The last 100 km must be done by any of the routes recognized as official by the S. A. M. I. Cathedral of Santiago.
And from this page about the Compostela:

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, but as @alexwalker mentioned, exceptions can be made.

You can find the translation of what it says in your credential here:

This is the important part:

• The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.
  • The last 100 km must be done by any of the routes recognized as official by the S. A. M. I. Cathedral of Santiago.
And from this page about the Compostela:

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
I wonder if those rules applied in the Middle Ages, when people also used carriages on their way to Santiago? I think not. I think this is a modern day rule. I also think it is too strict: It excludes devoted person who cannot walk, but want to travel to Santiago in order to get their Compostela. Just MHO..

Nigel.
OnyaNigel! Keep us informed on how you going!
Buen Camino

The point of two stamps per day is to prove you walked. I think it is based on an assumption that people walk about 20-25 km per day and take about 5 days to cover that 100 km. If you are taking more time and walking only 5 km per day, then you would have about 20 stamps (if one per day over 100 km). I suspect the Pilgrim Office would accept that. Ask for a supervisor if the volunteer doesn’t agree.

€46,-
Okay. I took a vow of honesty and authenticity in my journey to deepen my soul, my faith, my connection with others, and through that to help heal and inspire others.

My truth is that I’m finding this journey so far cold, lonely, a worry, a search for stamps in soulless places that all seems a selfish process on my part to have someone else prove that I’m worthy. I’ve not connected with anyone or anything other than animals. What has focussed it for me is that my community in Northern England has been hit so hard by storm Arwen that everyone has been affected with damage of some kind. And here I am, almost two thousand miles away, on a journey that’s all about me. It’s hard to reconcile what’s right and loving for me to do. Me, my community, my faith, my journey?

So it’s been a long cold night of contemplation and doubt for me, and my vow takes me to share it with you, honestly.

I think I have answers. My spiritual saviour has been to leave the Camino for now and find a lake, under the stars, where I feel more at home and able to hear what is being said to me. I just need time to process it and confirm it is right.

Thank you for listening

In these situations I like to remember the advice that I get during the safety briefing on airlines as they prepare to take off.

When they get to the part about oxygen masks they say "if you have children with you then be sure to put your own mask on first".

What I take from that is that in order to best help the people who I care about then I need to take care of my own wellbeing first.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So it’s been a long cold night of contemplation and doubt for me, and my vow takes me to share it with you, honestly.

I think I have answers. My spiritual saviour has been to leave the Camino for now and find a lake, under the stars, where I feel more at home and able to hear what is being said to me. I just need time to process it and confirm it is right.

Thank you for listening
Nigel, I have been following your story these last few days. Quite simply you are a pilgrim … it matters little or not at all how or how far you walk, where you get to, if you receive a piece of paper.

You are someone I would have liked to cross paths with one day. Your honesty is both courageous and refreshing. Bravo. Be where you need to be.

Buen Camino peregrino. Safe travels. 🙏

What has focussed it for me is that my community in Northern England has been hit so hard by storm Arwen that everyone has been affected with damage of some kind. And here I am, almost two thousand miles away, on a journey that’s all about me. It’s hard to reconcile what’s right and loving for me to do. Me, my community, my faith, my journey?
More than anything else, your ongoing reflections make you a pilgrim on the inner journey - more than where or how much you walk, and more than any stamps or outer recognition.

I am so touched by your path, and your sincerity and flexibility - being open to taking the time to process is a profound letting go, actually an act of faith and courage no less than making your way to a physical place.

Go well and keep well, peregrino.

Thank you for listening

I hope you find comfort at that lake.
I can only comfirm what the other people here wrote!

True pilgrimage has nothing to do with how many kilometers you walk, what kind of backpack you wear, the " paperwork " to prove!

I would feel blessed meeting you en route!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Okay. I took a vow of honesty and authenticity in my journey to deepen my soul, my faith, my connection with others, and through that to help heal and inspire others.

My truth is that I’m finding this journey so far cold, lonely, a worry, a search for stamps in soulless places that all seems a selfish process on my part to have someone else prove that I’m worthy. I’ve not connected with anyone or anything other than animals. What has focussed it for me is that my community in Northern England has been hit so hard by storm Arwen that everyone has been affected with damage of some kind. And here I am, almost two thousand miles away, on a journey that’s all about me. It’s hard to reconcile what’s right and loving for me to do. Me, my community, my faith, my journey?

Thank you for listening
Nigel, you lead me to say this: no matter what you thought it might be, you have now made it your own. One minute of honest appreciation is worth all the rest of it. Hope you can share some images of the lake!

Nigel, you lead me to say this: no matter what you thought it might be, you have now made it your own. One minute of honest appreciation is worth all the rest of it. Hope you can share some images of the lake!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have passed Mérida, Nigel, you have probably now found a greater number of pilgrims, as the Camino Mozárabe joins you there. Certainly, you will find a lot more company from Zamora onwards, despite the much less busy time of year. There is a choice of three routes from Zamora; those heading via Astorga and Ourense are both usually busy. I trust that you will thoroughly enjoy the rest of Camino. It sounds very demanding but a great expedition!
You say that your Spanish is very limited, but the expression "Soy un peregrino" (I am a pilgrim) is a good start, along with "Tiene un sello [say-yo], por favor" (Do you have a stamp, please) and "Hay un albergue (Is there an albergue) are also useful basics. In your circumstances, you will find that hospitaleros in any open albergue will give you good advice, a stamp, and possibly a nice cold or hot drink if you want one.
With all good wishes, Nigel. I look forward to reading about your progress. Tom Hagger
Tom, you’ve given me inspiration 5997727D-E12C-4828-9E7E-71EF806862EE.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So today, my Camino friends.

Today has brought me understanding and inspiration and answers.

Today I didn’t walk the Camino, nor do I think I will tomorrow. Where I am at now, on my own, in the beauty of nature and solitude, alone yet not alone, this is where I need to be just now to connect and hear.

So many messages have come in that encourage me to stay on my path. My friends from home enjoy my journey and would rather have me here and my new friends on the Camino do the same.

This morning, as I was in doubt and deliberation as to whether I should be here or helping at home, just as the first sun rose and I could feel it warming the truck, this spiritual message came to me before all others.

“All paths are the same, Nigel. They all lead to the same place in the end. But better to choose a route today of devotion and calm rather than a route of torment and guilt. Stay on the way.”

Then the messages came in from around the world. Such kindness and love. Now I’ve cried buckets on this sojourn and I’m not ashamed to admit it. So often I don’t actually know what it’s about. And this morning was the same.

From Jenny@zen she said “quite simply you are a pilgrim” and I broke down into tears. And I’ve just done it again. It’s something that reaches so deeply into me that I can’t begin to understand, or comprehend. The cry comes from so far from inside me that I can’t explain. It keeps on happening and I’m so glad there is no one around to hear. I’d have to try and hold it in, but I don’t think I could.

I think I’ve known I’m a pilgrim all my life. Ever since a profound dream around 3 years old. I’ve just hidden it. Been an adventurer, free spirit etc. But it was missing a dimension I know for sure exists. I’ve had many profound spiritual experiences, worked deeply with people, helped heal many souls, but this has gone as deep as anything. Somehow those words from Jenny@zen hit right home.

A wee picture now from where I’ve been cooking up at the lake near Monesterio. I walked around it today.8AF94737-304B-4F8B-9854-4C9C74E03B14.jpeg0E803C2E-508C-4199-8D16-1D92A56DE992.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 16 on the Camino. I made it all the way to Arzua with a mix of driving and walking. It’s tough just now with the storm still passing through.

From Seville I travelled seven days without meeting a single person or saying hello, heard the first English voice in Salamanca, then my first pilgrim after Astorga. Both were little blessings for me to break the silence. Now it’s pilgrims and the same faces everywhere.

Many little blessings in the way, both from nature and humanity. In O Cebreiro, in a winter storm, I put a silver Camino ring on my wedding ring finger. It felt really good. I know for sure it will stay there. Paco the priest blessed it at the Mass in the evening. So incredibly special for me as it represent my commitment to the way of the pilgrim as a journey of life, not just of a walk.

Now it’s kind of busy. So much going on. But the quiet moments are still there. When I walk I walk solo because I hobble along at half the speed of anyone else, and then backtrack to my truck.

Looking forward to it ending, but I know I’ll miss it. And I’ll miss the wonderful people that pop up again and again on the way to Santiago, just like Silvia in the picture. 6B7D2415-456E-416B-B516-39F8544B3A58.jpeg61C4DC46-A6EE-4510-A798-05EECC1918DD.jpeg3F885CAA-C025-45BC-83F9-256F3F96FC2A.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.