• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtaining a credencial in Burgos?

pjdine

Dear All,

I am from the UK and am joining two American friends in May, who are picking up where they left off last year in Burgos. Can anyone can tell me where I might obtain a credencial in Burgos? Most sites dedicated to El Camino refer vaguely to them being available at refugios and tourist offices. I would be grateful for any information slightly more definite than that.

And - any thoughts on walking poles? I am new to the Camino, but already listening to advice, and obsessively weighing everything and discarding anything not absolutely necessary. I've never used them (or any other type of walking stick) - should I give them a try?

With many thanks,

Pippa

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't use poles and given the abbreviated distance you will be walking and that you've never used them before I wouldn't bother. If you can borrow one try it out before you leave.

Burgos Credentials

For credencials, try the Cathedral ticket office or the main Tourist Information office which is just a few metres away from the Cathedral. If neither of these places have credencials, they can direct you to the right place.

I had never used hiking poles before the Camino, but last year took a pair and found them invaluable. Great for leaning on when walking uphill and, for me anyway, saves the knees when going downhill. I would have been lost without them. They are very easy to use and carry, and you'll soon get into your own rhythm.

There's actually quite a distance between Burgos and Santiago, with variable terrain, so I think you will find them quite useful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Credentials

I refer to this 2006 list when people ask about getting the credential.

CREDENTIALS:

RONCESVALLES - Oficina del peregrino.
CANFRANC - Oficina de turismo de Canfranc EstaciĂłn (Torre de Fusileros, situada entre Canfranc EstaciĂłn y Canfranc Pueblo).
JACA - Iglesia de Santiago.
LARRASOAĂ‘A - Albergue Municipal de Peregrinos (D. Santiago Zubiri).
PAMPLONA - Albergue de peregrinos. -
PUENTE LA REINA - Albergue de peregrinos.
ESTELLA - Albergue de peregrinos.
LOGROĂ‘O - Albergue Municipal de peregrinos.
SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA - Albergue de peregrinos de la CofradĂ­a del Santo.
BURGOS - Albergue de peregrinos (AsociaciĂłn de amigos del Camino de Burgos).
FRĂ“MISTA - Oficina del peregrino (Monasterio de San Zoilo).
LEĂ“N - Albergue de peregrinos, catedral
ASTORGA - Albergue de peregrinos.
MOLINASECA - Albergue de peregrinos (Alfredo).
PONFERRADA - Albergue de peregrinos.
VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO - Albergue de peregrinos AVE FÉNIX (Jato).
O CEBREIRO - Albergue de peregrinos.
SAMOS - Albergue del Monasterio.
SARRIA - Albergue de peregrinos.
PORTOMARĂŤN - Albergue de peregrinos

Credentials

You can also get a credential from your local Camino organsiation. If you don't have one, you can order the official one through Mundicamino before you go. They will send you a form to fill in which you can email back to them. They only charge for postage.
If you have your credential before you leave home you can get your first stamp at home. My friend Anneliese (who is a nun) will have her credential stamped by her local Bishop and at her parish church before we leave in August.

Thank you all

Good advice from everyone - I will try to get my credencial before I leave home, but if I don't succeed, then I know where else to go. And I will borrow poles and try them out on local terrain (the Dorset Coast Path) which should tell me if my middle-aged knees need the help.

Many thanks,

Pippa

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The tourist office underneath the cathedral in Burgos issues them. Facing the main cathedral entrance, turn right down the steps and the doorway is in the wall on your left hand side.

I think they opened at 9.30am, and my credencial cost me one euro.

You can your credencial at the cathedral in Burgos.

I just read the following somewhere:

"Less Compostelas and more Caminos!"

Whatever in heavens does that mean...

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

RE: Poles.

I usually start walking and...

more than likely a pole will "show up,"

like a tree limb I can cut and fashion to my liking,

or an abandoned stick at an albergue.

xm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"less compostelas and more Caminos"

I'm guessing that's a statement about the people who do the last 100km rather what other people think the "whole" camino is... Maybe? Dunno!

Erm... Poles are very handy for downhills, especially. If you have dodgy knees, I'd recommend that you learn to use poles, personally...

Re: Credential: Yep, as all above have said - Cathedral has them, go through the door, turn left to the end of the room and there should be someone there to help.

Buen camino.

The actual quote is:

"Más Caminos, menos compostelas."

http://galicias.com/frases/suenos.htm Go to: pensamientos de peregrinos.

I interpret it as someone like the author, a pilgrim named Angel (well what else?), saying that more importance should be given to experiencing the Camino than obtaining the precious Compostela upon completion.

Gotta say that upon completion of my first two Caminos, the Compostelas where a "must" to get, more as remembrances of intense experiences than anything else. Nowadays the Credenciales have taken their places (+ pics + corresponding with fellow-pilgrims + Santiago-related forums).

And the memories, always the memories.

xm

Pippa, I believe you can get your credential from the Confraternity of St. James in the UK. The home page here has a link to them. :)

I just got a walking pole & will try it out. My right knee is a bit "dodgy," so I think I'll need it.

Buen Camino!

dg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
walking sticks

Hola Pippa,
I had never used a walking stick before I was on the camino last year, but my freind brought two with her and let me try one - with a heavy rucksack on my back I found it invaluable, so bought my own while I was there. I will be taking it with me when I spend 3 weeks on the camino this year.
A fellow pilgrim who shared our experience with us was given a hand-hewn wooden stick by an elderly man who was just standing on the path. She absolutely loved it. The check-in staff were completely unfazed by it and it was checked in at Santiago airport without problem. It survived intact to Stansted, though we had to split up to locate it when we arrived.
What I also learned from last year is not to pack too much - it really is surpising what you can manage without!
Have a wonderful time.
Buen camino!
Hilary

There are also many places along the Caminos where Credenciales can be obtained, not to obsess over them.

Sometimes in tourist offices, sometimes in churches called "Santiago".

I always get two once I arrive at Santiago's Oficina del Peregrino.

One for a pilgim that may need it along the way on a future Camino, the other one for me.

They used to be free.

Now they cost anywhere from 1-2 e.

xm

Thank you Sil - I applied to Mundicamino (using the form on the website) by post last week, and received my credencial today. Five Euros, but then I now have everything I need, other than water, so more time to enjoy Burgos.

Can't wait to start!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Credentials

So pleased that you have got it!
Now you can have it stamped at home before you start - preferably at a St James' church!

Great idea - or at my old 'parish church' - Winchester Cathedral - then go and claim the 'traveller's dole' at the church of St Cross on the way out of town (I've wanted to do that since I was a kid!)

FIVE euros for a credencial :?: :?: :?:

:shock:

Coñooooo ....

BC :arrow:

xm 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Credenciales

Mundicamino don't charge for the credential - they only charge for postage.

2 euro in Spain
5 euro in Europe
10 euro to South Africa.

Hmm...ic...I'd wait and get a credencial in Spain. It isn't that big a deal. For pilgrims that will most likely get hooked and return, get one or two once in Compostela, at the Oficina del Peregrino. BC :arrow: xm 8)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey everyone I came across a site that had hand carved walking sticks that looked like they could be separated for travelling and also place earth in it. Haven't be able to locate it any suggestions.

Thanks

niel

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back