• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

obtaining cash

bfd

Hi
One issue I haven't seen discussed is how pilgrims obtain cash along the way. I'm coming from New Zealand and am not sure about whether to have travellors' cheques to cash in the cities or how to manage this. Also how much should I budget for refugio accommodation and food along the way? Any ideas??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cash along the way

There are many ATM's (hole in the wall dispensers) in most larger towns.
I have never taken travellers cheques - some small banks don't have foreign exchange departments and won't cash them.
You can allocate E1 per 1km walked.
If you intend walking for a bout 30 days, covering 775kms - your food and refuge costs will come to about E775. Of course you can do it for less if you don't have the Peregino Menu (± E8) or offer any donations to the refuges - and sadly many pilgrims just don't bother to put a coin in the box.
Most refuges only expect about E4 - more if it is a private refuge.
Hope this helps,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some guide books will even tell you which towns have ATMs and which don't. I've got a Spanish book that was very helpful on that basis.

Do check the small print with your debit/credit cards. Most charge 2.5% (or more) for using abroad, foreign atm's, shop purchases, etc - if you are UK citizen get a Post Office credit card - it's free to use it abroad!

ATMs

Use ATMs, you'll find them at regular intervals, but take out enough cash a week, then the bank fees are not too high. Just remember not to let your cash run too low, especially in villages where there may not be an ATM.

Take a debit card and credit card, and if you want maybe traveller's cheques for extra security. A useful option to bulky traveller's cheques is the Travelex card. Have seen it in Australia so guess you can get it in New Zealand too. You buy the card and put whatever amount of euros you want on it, and use it in ATMs like a debit card. It can be topped up on the way.

It's important to let your bank know when you're going overseas, as they sometimes see the overseas ATM withdrawals as a breach of security on your account, and will close it down.

I allow about 20euros per day. That covers the refugio, a 'menu del dia' lunch, and snacks. Some days it's more, others less.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
On the VDLP there were far less opportunaties to use ATm's but I don't believe that will be a problem on the camino frances super highway. The VDLP passes through about 5 major towns where you could use ATM's but I tended to use cash-and very small denominations at that

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back