• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cash

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many hotels and restaurants now accept cards, however smaller village stores, bars, and albergues will want you to pay in cash. Donativo albergues have no way to accept a card. It is an additional charge for the use of a card to the vendor so they may allow purchases of only so many euros or more with a card. Additionally, we had one of our credit cards hacked this summer and our card vendor wanted us to stay in one place for several days to get a new one delivered. Glad we had a second unrelated credit card and also separate debit cards and were able to get cash.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In last 10 years i was in Israel, Germany, Swiss, Czech, Slovakia and never saw a place that dont accept cards.
Im living in Tel Aviv and ppl here barely use cash.
But Tel Aviv is in Israel, not Spain. Things are different there, especially in rural Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will say that since Covid, more places do accept cards on the Camino than when we were there in 2019, however for small purchases, cash will be important. A coffee for 1, 20 euros or a beer or glass of wine for a euro for example as you make your way along the Camino or an albergue may want you to total all your purchases for the day (meals, drinks, and bed) and just pay once with the card to avoid the extra charges they incur for separate purchases.

My parents used to run a small antiques business and would give a 10 % discount for cash purchases so I know the card cost is a consideration in charges.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I typically carried around 200 Euro in cash. I walked off and on with someone who didn't bring a debit card, thus I paid in cash for both of us at most places. Then I kept getting charged with the insane ATM fees since I was depleting my cash more quickly than anticipated. Carry cash, unless you can find a sucker like me...

In last 10 years i was in Israel, Germany, Swiss, Czech, Slovakia and never saw a place that dont accept cards. Im living in Tel Aviv and ppl here barely use cash.
None of the places you have been are like the Caminos in Spain.

After reading this thread, I do not think anyone has addressed your question completely, and, it is difficult to determine a good answer as we do not have all the information needed to provide that. In 2018, 40 euro would get you through a day, including food / meals and a bed. Today, that may be 60 euros.

The other issue is, not all villages have an ATM. So, a higher amount may have to be withdrawn to ensure getting stuck does not happen.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cash was helpful, so many small expenses (cafe con leche, pinchos, fruit, etc) were easier with it. I presume merchants have to pay a percentage on every card they process, and on a small expense I’m sure they appreciate the cash. The coins are a bit heavy but they spend pretty easily.

The percentage is indeed quite high. And this in combination with extreme high energy bills here in Europe does not make it easier for the small independent stores and restaurants.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The percentage is indeed quite high.
Are we talking credit cards, or debit cards? Debit cards have much lower costs to both merchant and consumer than credit cards. Furthermore, I understand that there have been changes in EU regulations that limit the surcharges for card payments. Certainly, in recent years (perhaps accelerated by the pandemic), merchants have become more willing to accept cards than before, even for small amounts.

Handling cash is not free of burden to merchants. There are costs (labour, for example) associated with collecting and transferring cash to/from the banks.

Even so, I would always carry enough cash to survive a couple of days on the Camino.

Are we talking credit cards, or debit cards? Debit cards have much lower costs to both merchant and consumer than credit cards. Furthermore, I understand that there have been changes in EU regulations that limit the surcharges for card payments. Certainly, in recent years (perhaps accelerated by the pandemic), merchants have become more willing to accept cards than before, even for small amounts.

Handling cash is not free of burden to merchants. There are costs (labour, for example) associated with collecting and transferring cash to/from the banks.

Even so, I would always carry enough cash to survive a couple of days on the Camino.

I can only speak for Belgian small businesses. Credit cards are hardly used here for daily small payments. Most payments or with a debit card but yes costs are still considerate for the small independent owners.
Though from this month on small enterprises are legally obliged to have a payment system aside cash.
Most businesses here use an app called Payconiq.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here’s a thing about cash. If you’re running a small cafe/ bar in a poco pueblo chances are you’ll buy your beer, wine & spirits, likely your mixers and canned drinks from a wholesaler. Delivered on time, invoiced, payment at month end, maybe even a little discount for prompt payment by bank transfer or that non-rubber cheque.
If you buy your bread from the local panaderia, your salad and spuds and tomatoes from the local market or that grumpy campesino with the huerto that was worked by his grandfather- you pay cash. The window cleaner; the chica that helps on Sundays; the guy from the hills who does the serious aguadiente - you pay cash. Cash is the lifeblood of small, independent, traders. Take away cash and all that is left is the Brakes Brothers truck, and the Brakes Brothers menu and 1% of every transaction to the bankers ( I checked my typing on that one ). It’s only 1%? It’s on every transaction!

Here’s a thing about cash. If you’re running a small cafe/ bar in a poco pueblo chances are you’ll buy your beer, wine & spirits, likely your mixers and canned drinks from a wholesaler. Delivered on time, invoiced, payment at month end, maybe even a little discount for prompt payment by bank transfer or that non-rubber cheque.
If you buy your bread from the local panaderia, your salad and spuds and tomatoes from the local market or that grumpy campesino with the huerto that was worked by his grandfather- you pay cash. The window cleaner; the chica that helps on Sundays; the guy from the hills who does the serious aguadiente - you pay cash. Cash is the lifeblood of small, independent, traders. Take away cash and all that is left is the Brakes Brothers truck, and the Brakes Brothers menu and 1% of every transaction to the bankers ( I checked my typing on that one ). It’s only 1%? It’s on every transaction!
Looking at it slightly differently; it’s worse. We shouldn’t consider turnover, but rather profit.

Retail margins - after all costs paid - can easily be down in single figures. Big efficient retailers (in the UK) are around 6% gross profit (before tax)

If that small retailer’s making 4%, that 1% credit card fee knocks 25% off their profit.

(Thanks for signing up for maths 101)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

In the Netherlands it's like this,

The law does not oblige anyone to accept legal tender. Retailers may refuse cash (notes and coins) or payment by debit or credit card. However, retailers usually indicate which payment methods they do not accept. For example, through window stickers or checkout stickers.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In last 10 years i was in Israel, Germany, Swiss, Czech, Slovakia and never saw a place that dont accept cards. Im living in Tel Aviv and ppl here barely use cash.
That may be true, but many of the wide spots in Spain have one tienda, maybe two albergues and 30 residents. Buying that banana or beer and staying in a hostel which holds 16 people may be a lot more difficult. Now if you plan to only stay in larger towns or cities, and have mapped it out, you will probably be OK. Me I carry at least 200-400 euros on me, gives you a lot more options!

I live in Frankfurt, THE banking city and there are any number of stores, restaurants, food stands, markets, etc. that only take cash. My tour business is one of them. The credit card fees for small businesses here, are not something I want to pay.
Cash in small towns and small businesses in Spain is preferable. Give it a try.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
btw. Can i pay in Spain with google pay?
You can ,

There's no limit on the value of Google Pay transactions, and there are no fees to download the app or use it to make payments. However, many shops and businesses will limit the amount you can pay without entering a PIN or using fingerprint recognition to the contactless payment limit.🙏

€46,-
Tap-to-pay with a card has relatively low limits but payments with Apple/Google Pay are usually much higher or unlimited. I’ve used Apple Pay for transactions upwards of 500 euros without a problem.
Thank you for that info, I have Google Pay but never use it so I wasn't sure if it had the same limit as tap to pay on a debit card.

Same here in Sydney Australia. I haven't used cash in years.

But......in rural Spain many still use cash.........as you will find out ;) ;)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cash was helpful, so many small expenses (cafe con leche, pinchos, fruit, etc) were easier with it. I presume merchants have to pay a percentage on every card they process, and on a small expense I’m sure they appreciate the cash. The coins are a bit heavy but they spend pretty easily.
I agree, we just picked up some Euros from our bank. Good exchange rate and no fees. We always carry cash and while we use a debit card at home here most of the time we have found that small businesses here are adding a percentage fee that they would typically be charged for accepting the card. Many have gone back to accepting checks in order not to be charged 2-4% per transaction. In Spain they must also have that extra charge for cards, so in small businesses we try to use cash.

Do i need to bring cash to the camino in 2022? If yes, how much i need to carry on me?
Havent used cash in like 10 years :)
Some cash is essential. Even places that take card sometimes specify a particular card eg MB cards in Portugal. That said the pandemic has certainly shifted the balance away from cash a great deal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some cash is essential. Even places that take card sometimes specify a particular card eg MB cards in Portugal.
That happened to me several times in Portugal where my US card was not accepted, but Portuguese cards were.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or.... get a card from a financial institution that REFUNDS atm fees. I use a Fidelity personally. When I see that 7 euro charge for atm fees, no worries.
Yep, and in the USA Charles Schwab seems to be well known. I've never had a problem nor paid any conversion fees overseas with my debit card associated with C.S.

It also depends where you stay. If you are staying in albergues, most are for cash. If you are staying incommercial accommodation and buying supplies in towns or cities, cards are a feasible option. When I was last on the Camino, I found that most bars and restaurants (perhaps all of them) took cards, a great change from 15 years before. But for the reasons outlined by others, cash is preferred by many restaurants.

€46,-
Do i need to bring cash to the camino in 2022? If yes, how much i need to carry on me?
Havent used cash in like 10 years :)
I started the CF on May 18, 2022 and walked to SDC. My experience was that I could almost always pay for lodging with a credit card (hostels, albeergues @ booking.com). A few Casa Rurals identified upfront that Euros were required for payment. Grocery and pharmacies all take cards and I paid with my phone (Samsung Pay.) Bars and restaurants were mostly cash in smaller towns. Even then, if you ask they might take a card. I carried 300 Euros and replenished the wallet at the 100 mark to ensure I did not get caught in a cash situation. 100% you need to carry cash and coin, you chose the comfortable amount. Buen Camino!

Not sure this is true. I mean the nice lady or man taking my money for their services rendered, they seem to like cards/digital too.
I would be fairly certain that it is. I have had restauranteurs complain to me about the credit card charges (usually about 3%). Mind you, I could have completely misunderstood them, such is the quality of my Castilian.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m sure they weren’t complaining. After all, the banks profits were no doubt feeding into their pension fund 😉

The only additional comment I’ll add to this thread: I have never, ever, had an offer of cash declined. Nor have I ever seen a notice stating “no acceptamos dinero”

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excuse my ignorance on these matters.

It appears this tech savvy 65 year old is not quite as tech savvy as he thought :rolleyes:

On camino I use cash, and a debit card.
But I realise even home I should 'get with the program' and use a payment app on my phone.

I was selling some stuff online recently and a lady who turned up to collect something was 'gob smacked' that I couldn't take a phone payment :oops:

I use an android so I guess Google Pay is the one for me.

Now the dumb questions!

1. When I search the Play Store there is not Google Pay App. Only Google Wallet. Is this the same thing?
  2. What are the charges associated with using these apps? Currency conversion? Are the rates OK? And transaction charges?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Won't download here from that link (Australia).
Must investigate more.

Ahhhhhhh. Same thing.

Is Google Pay accepted in Australia?

Today, Google Pay app will become Google Wallet and support new digital items. Google Wallet will be available in Australia on Android and Wear OS and will standardise the way you save and access essential items such as payment and vaccine cards, transit and event tickets, boarding and loyalty passes.

I typically carried around 200 Euro in cash. I walked off and on with someone who didn't bring a debit card, thus I paid in cash for both of us at most places. Then I kept getting charged with the insane ATM fees since I was depleting my cash more quickly than anticipated. Carry cash, unless you can find a sucker like me...
Mooching is not attractive and I would not be an enabler. 😏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excuse my ignorance on these matters.

It appears this tech savvy 65 year old is not quite as tech savvy as he thought :rolleyes:

On camino I use cash, and a debit card.
But I realise even home I should 'get with the program' and use a payment app on my phone.

I was selling some stuff online recently and a lady who turned up to collect something was 'gob smacked' that I couldn't take a phone payment :oops:

I use an android so I guess Google Pay is the one for me.

Now the dumb questions!

1. When I search the Play Store there is not Google Pay App. Only Google Wallet. Is this the same thing?
  2. What are the charges associated with using these apps? Currency conversion? Are the rates OK? And transaction charges?

Thanks in advance.
It's a program that works for some, but not all... don't feel obligated to join unless it suits you. Remember, what was a phone has slowly become a storage of all your personal info. How much do you want to be in there if you lose it and how quickly can you recover? It is supposed to be safe. 🤓... it has all your contacts, communications, web sites, finger prints and or facial recognition, some passwords, gps tracks, and more. Would you like to voluntarily add more personal info into this little box?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was walking when this thread originally started last year, and I know this is a perennial question. Last year I started my 4-week camino on the Torres/Geira with 500€ in cash. I usually don’t carry so much, but I had a bunch at home for different reasons. I do what @Marbe2 does and use the credit card everywhere possible. I just checked my little euros pouch and see that I came home with 370€ and change. I was in rural Spain and Portugal most of the time and found that credit cards were frequently preferred, almost always accepted — even the laundromat in some city had a spot for credit cards.

I would not start a camino without cash, but I think the trend is definitely in the cash-less direction.

And as Marbe points out, for those who are new to this, if a credit card machine in Spain or Portugal asks if you want to pay in euros or in your home currency, always go with euros. Counter-intuitive but it is cheaper.

I do think it depends on where you are staying or eating. Where we work and often stay, cards are not accepted. I always leave a nice donation which must be in cash. Also twice I have had my credit card hacked and subsequently cancelled in Spain. We do usually use a credit card for hotels on arrival/departure and in larger cities, but almost never for albergues, dining, or daily coffee/bread/tiende purchases.

I do think it depends on where you are staying or eating. Where we work and often stay, cards are not accepted. I always leave a nice donation which must be in cash. Also twice I have had my credit card hacked and subsequently cancelled in Spain. We do usually use a credit card for hotels on arrival/departure and in larger cities, but almost never for albergues, dining, or daily coffee/bread/tiende purchases

Of course, there are places, especially donativos where cash is King. However, every place that I have stayed at on The CF which included, private albergues, pensions, hostels, hotels and rurals since 2020 welcomed Visa/Master Card. No problem using cards in Supermercados as well. I used the cash for coffee/cake, water. But if I spent over €15 in Bars ( twopersons) I charged it!

I always carry 3 different CCs. My sister carries one of mine, and I, one of hers. In addition 2 different ATM cards for the same account ( different numbers in case one gets lost or eaten by an ATM machine).
When we arrive in Madrid I have about €400 euros, I keep this amount from the prior trip. This way we don’t have to worry initially about cash upon arrival.

Last edited:
I will be on the camino del Norte and Portugués in March, April and May. Do we still need to bring money to pay with or are most establishments using the tap with the card method for payment mainly for accommodation and cafes etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many places won't accept cards for small purchases, like a coffee or a beer, so you should probably take some cash. Hotels, pensions and tourist albergues will take cards.

More accept credit cards then ever before, but still have some cash for those that don’t or if your card gets declined.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry it is important to have a hidden stash of cash Euros. This might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'.
Furthermore keep some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 € bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

As always it helps to be prepared!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.