• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in late October/early November?

joebrown7696

Time of past OR future Camino
It has always been on my bucket list to walk the Camino. I never thought I would have the time until retirement. I unexpectedly have about 10 days where I could go to Spain near the end of October. I have a few questions about going then.

1. Is this a good time to go, or will weather be a problem?
  2. Should I come from Sarria on the Camino Frances, or from Vigo on the Portuguese Camino? Or do you have a better idea and why?
  3. Is there anything else I should consider?
Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It will be less busy at this time and you may find some places will be "closed for the season". Still should be enough open to serve pilgrims on the Camino Frances. Sarria to Santiago will still have bag transport through Correos if that is a consideration. My husband spent a month in Santiago in November few years ago and it rained a lot (not light rain either) so you'll want to be prepared for that possibility. I am not sure what is open from Vigo, but Xunta albergues should be open at a minimum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I walked both my camino's in october-november.

The Mozarabe from Granada to Cordoba and two years ago the Portugues from Porto to Santiago.
The first one was cold and lonely, the second one warm (20degrees) and sunny, with enough others to meet up regularly. I'm going to walk the dry stone route on Mallorca this time, I'll see how it goes, for most weather you can prepare or adapt. I'd go if I had the opportunity. You can't fail, you may adapt, but at least you were there.

joebrown7696,

Late autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although during past years albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. The hospitaleros usually know what was open on the next section. Walking in late autumn I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

Howwver you must be prepared for cold. Many who walk in late autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My sister and I are walking Camino Ingles the last week of October, so there is another short Camino possibility. I do expect rain and have packed accordingly.

I think the Camino Ingles is certainly something to consider. That would give you a "complete" Camino in the timeframe you are looking at.

This may be a good time for a Sarria to Santiago Camino, when it won't be as busy as during spring, summer, or earlier autumn. You will benefit from the more robust infrastructure.

If you are looking at the Portugues, you might also want to consider starting in Valença or Tui when it is colder.

I think the Camino Ingles is certainly something to consider. That would give you a "complete" Camino in the timeframe you are looking at.

This may be a good time for a Sarria to Santiago Camino, when it won't be as busy as during spring, summer, or earlier autumn. You will benefit from the more robust infrastructure.

If you are looking at the Portugues, you might also want to consider starting in Valença or Tui when it is colder.
I think the Camino Ingles is an interesting idea. With it being a less popular route, do you think it would have adequate infrastructure during that time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the Camino Ingles is an interesting idea. With it being a less popular route, do you think it would have adequate infrastructure during that time?
The Xunta albergues should all be open year round. "Adequate" really depends on what length of stages you are able and willing to walk. If you are prepared to have a night or two in hostals then there should be no major problems.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm walking at this time as well. Initially from Sarria to Santiago and then Camino Finisterre. Plenty of infrastructure in Sarria. Not so much on Finisterre but I'm anticipating a beautiful walk towards the end of the world. I don't mind rain and wind. I have booked ahead though in hotels: I have a health problem which is easier to manage that way. BTW does anyone know of baggage service on that route in November? Or a place to store a bag for the week in Santiago?

Great, pretty sure I’m doing the same route to Santiago de Compostela. Plan on starting October 26. I have some extra days available at the end and may go to Finisterre, but may just explore for a few days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm walking at this time as well. Initially from Sarria to Santiago and then Camino Finisterre. Plenty of infrastructure in Sarria. Not so much on Finisterre but I'm anticipating a beautiful walk towards the end of the world. I don't mind rain and wind. I have booked ahead though in hotels: I have a health problem which is easier to manage that way. BTW does anyone know of baggage service on that route in November? Or a place to store a bag for the week in Santiago?
Correos is the only winter bag transfer servicd that I am aware of and they only do Sarria to Santiago in the winter months.

I think Ivar - who operates this forum, stores bags in SDC.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back