• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Of Shoes and Shoelaces (2022)

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
I mentioned these resources in another current thread about alleviating foot pain, and realized that since they were so helpful to me in my walking/hiking journey the last few years (including training for my upcoming Camino in May) I thought I'd share them in their own thread in case others might be interested.*

I'm a relatively recent but very enthusiastic convert to a particular kind of no-tie shoelaces of which Lock Laces are probably the best-known example:

They are a pair of reflective elastic cords (similar to a thin bungee cord) that come with lace locks (which secure the laces to desired tension) and tips for the laces themselves once they're cut to desired length (I call them "super-aglets", because I love the word aglet.)
There are videos galore on the above website which will give you a better idea how they work.

I actually ended up buying these for my Camino shoes, as they're lower profile (same concept though):

Of course in searching to see if they've been discussed on the forum before I see that who but @trecile asked about them back in 2017!
So this will serve as a belated testimonial: they work amazingly well for me and eliminated what I thought was the narrowness of the Altra Olympus 4s I will be wearing on my walk in May.
They stabilize my foot as least as well as conventional laces too yet allow for much more flexibility for foot swelling and much less pressure on the top of the foot.
Among the best less-than-$10 things I've yet purchased for my gear.

And as for All Things Shoelacing, this site is one of the most helpful (and delightful) resources I've found for helping to make all my walks better:

Literally dozens of shoelacing techniques, many expressly designed to help alleviate foot pain and accommodate swelling – along with many that just plain look cool and would serve as excellent conversation starters.
It bought out the inner shoelace nerd in me I never knew existed, and my feet feel better too.

Of course @trecile beat me to the punch with this too!
Still, I think a once-every-four-or-five-year rehash is not unwarranted.

I hope someone reading this finds either of these things helpful.
Further shoelace tips and lore are very much welcome.
(A sentence I never thought I'd type, but here we are.)

*Edit: As always, standard disclaimers apply: I am not a doctor, your mileage may vary, talk to your podiatrist first, etc.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola and good morning. Yes there are many ways to lace a shoe/boot. I recommend adopting the one that suits you best. As for spare laces - I carry about 3 or 4 metres lace style heavy "twine". It has two or three uses.
As for helping feet recover, I follow this method: when I stop for a coffee - the boots come off to allow the moisture to evaporate; when I stop for lunch the boots and the outer (thick) socks come off which allows for a good cooling down of the feet. Cheers

I put elastic shoe laces into my hiking shoes/boots so that I can just kick them off at the end of the day, and push my feet into them next morning. Like slippers! No bending down! I love them!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I put elastic shoe laces into my hiking shoes/boots so that I can just kick them off at the end of the day, and push my feet into them next morning. Like slippers! No bending down! I love them!

Yes, forgot to mention the fact that once the laces are on and "dialed in" your shoes miraculously turn into slip-ons. Truly life changing!

I made the switch to lock laces recently and I agree. Brilliant all the way around. I’ve got mine in the runner’s heel lock lacing technique. I’ve had a tough time with heel lock for descents in the past and this did the trick.

My brother-in-law was a podiatrist. An appointment to get the best advice from a podiatrist will cost you less than a quality pair of shoes, insoles and laces. Don't mess around fumbling with iffy opinions from self proclaimed trekkers, because their feet are never like yours. A podiatrist has all the answers and recommendations upon which you can make the best "out of the gate" decisions about all that is related to footwear, socks, and posture.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Been using lock laces on my Altra Lone Peak 5 for almost a year now and I am super happy with them!
Gonna use them on my Camino Frances in couple months. That shoe lace site you you shared was gold! 😁 👌

My brother-in-law was a podiatrist. An appointment to get the best advice from a podiatrist will cost you less than a quality pair of shoes, insoles and laces. Don't mess around fumbling with iffy opinions from self proclaimed trekkers, because their feet are never like yours. A podiatrist has all the answers and recommendations upon which you can make the best "out of the gate" decisions about all that is related to footwear, socks, and posture.

In my original post about this I very clearly stressed the importance of consulting with a podiatrist (and I added the same disclaimer to this one just so there's no confusion). I am not expounding “iffy options from a self-proclaimed trekker”, but simply sharing some things that happened to work for me. There’s no need for the patronizing and dismissive attitude.

Last edited:
In my original post about this I very clearly stressed the importance of consulting with a podiatrist (and I added the same disclaimer to this one just so there's no confusion). I am not expounding “iffy options from a self-proclaimed trekker”, but simply sharing some things that happened to work for me. There’s no need for the patronizing and dismissive attitude.
The topic heading " Of shoes and shoelaces" implies any advice input. My advice is get a podiatrist's advice and not take unprofessional advice. Sorry if you think someone is trolling you. I hope you feel better and that your feet don't distract what you read in opinions.

For medical issues related to feet, a Podiatrist who specializes in sports and athletics is always a great resource for diagnosing issues.

From my sports medicine training, as well as my relationships and clinical training time spent with podiatrists, I can appreciate the knowledge and skill level your brother in law might have. From my work reviewing backpacking gear and clothing, including shoes and boots, I also know that podiatrists can have a pretty narrow range of practical knowledge about the kinds and types of footwear and socks which are available and work the best for backpacking and trekking.

Unless a podiatrist has the many miles of trail or road beneath their feet while backpacking and hiking and trekking as do those who are engaged in the activity, they are working from a limited base of practical knowledge as to the issues and stresses that the footwear used by backpackers is placed under. Nor can they understand the practical needs of the backpacker when looking for footwear.

I do not see a problem with considering the advice from experienced, 'self proclaimed trekkers'.

I will also state that no one should go out and buy a shoe based on anyone's personal recommendations. Feet are too different from person to person to do such a thing. All personal recommendations from anyone about what footwear they find comfortable should be only put on a list of shoes or boots to try.. . .an audition list.

Last edited:
For medical issues related to feet, a Podiatrist who specializes in sports and athletics is always a great resource for diagnosing issues.

From my sports medicine training, as well as my relationships and clinical training time spent with podiatrists, I can appreciate the knowledge and skill level your brother in law might have. From my work reviewing backpacking gear and clothing, including shoes and boots, I also know that podiatrists can have a pretty narrow range of practical knowledge about the kinds and types of footwear and socks which are available and work the best for backpacking and trekking.

Unless a podiatrist has the many miles of trail or road beneath their feet while backpacking and hiking and trekking, they are working from a limited base of practical knowledge as to the issues and stresses faced by the footwear used by backpackers.

I do not see a problem with considering the advice from experienced, 'self proclaimed trekkers'.

I will also state that no one should go out and buy a shoe based on anyone's personal recommendations. Feet are too different from person to person to do such a thing. All personal recommendations from anyone about what footwear they find comfortable should be only put on a list of shoes or boots to try.. . .an audition list.
My brother-in-law also owned and ran a sporting goods store for over 20 years. He sold tens of thousands of shoes, skates, ski boots plus lots of other foot related footwear. He served tens of thousands of clients and fitted lots of them with custom made or adjusted footwear. Don't discount everything you come across until you know the whole story.

My brother-in-law also owned and ran a sporting goods store for over 20 years. He sold tens of thousands of shoes, skates, ski boots plus lots of other foot related footwear. He served tens of thousands of clients and fitted lots of them with custom made or adjusted footwear. Don't discount everything you come across until you know the whole story.

Sorry, but that is red herring. Your reply to the OP was referring to all podiatrists and all 'self-proclaimed' trekkers'. THIS is what I responded to:
"My advice is get a podiatrist's advice and not take unprofessional advice."

I find it a bit ironic that you attempt to take me to task by now narrowly focusing on your brothers broad experience (not that of all podiatrists in general) in the outdoor gear trade, and telling me to get the whole story first before commenting. Yet you did the same thing when you said ' iffy opinions from self proclaimed trekkers'.

I can understand pointing out a specific bit of 'iffy' advice posted, but there was a lot of broad brush generalizations in your post that I found unnecessary and ill advised.

Sorry, but that is red herring. Your reply to the OP was referring to all podiatrists and all 'self-proclaimed' trekkers'. THIS is what I responded to:
"My advice is get a podiatrist's advice and not take unprofessional advice."

I find it a bit ironic that you attempt to take me to task by now narrowly focusing on your brothers broad experience (not that of all podiatrists in general) in the outdoor gear trade, and telling me to get the whole story first before commenting. Yet you did the same thing when you said ' iffy opinions from self proclaimed trekkers'.

I can understand pointing out a specific bit of 'iffy' advice posted, but there was a lot of broad brush generalizations in your post that I found unnecessary and ill advised.
I've been hiking for a little over 50 years, all over the world. I'm 70 years old and there's one thing I've leaned during the 13 years I spent studying in various universities, including John Hopkins University, get advice from experts. If you read anything other than take advice from professional experts and not "self proclaimed" experts you've got a problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been hiking for a little over 50 years, all over the world. I'm 70 years old and there's one thing I've leaned during the 13 years I spent studying in various universities, including John Hopkins University, get advice from experts. If you read anything other than take advice from professional experts and not "self proclaimed" experts you've got a problem.

Well, your post needs no direct response from me; it is self-revealing.

Look at Álvaro Lazaga’s shoes as he starts out on his 47th Camino Francés. Pictured at 1 :30 more or less. I suppose the more interesting thing is that he made it to Santiago no problem with those shoes, but when I watched it about a month ago, I noticed the laces and wondered what the deal was.

He is heatbroken that they are his favorite shoes, out of poduction now, and this is his last pair. I know a lot of us can relate to that!

So thanks for teaching me the new term, “lock laces.”

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not just a term - it's a brand. 😊

True! But I think it's rather like "Kleenex" or "Xerox" (remember those?) - technically a brand name, but one that is now used for the whole category of like products. As I said above, I ended up buying these lock(ing) laces, mostly because their branding was less obtrusive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RTRRCC/?tag=casaivar02-20

For what it's worth, they use the exact same elastic paracord as do the LockLaces™️, and cost about half as much.

Of course, now I have to worry about people who look at my shoes closely and think my name is Nathan, but that's a risk I can live with ;)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
True! But I think it's rather like "Kleenex" or "Xerox" (remember those?) - technically a brand name, but one that is now used for the whole category of like products. As I said above, I ended up buying these lock(ing) laces, mostly because their branding was less obtrusive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RTRRCC/?tag=casaivar02-20

Of course, now I have to worry about people who look at my shoes closely and think my name is Nathan, but that's a risk I can live with ;)
Oh, Nathan, you are just being modest.😅

Oh l
Look at Álvaro Lazaga’s shoes as he starts out on his 47th Camino Francés. Pictured at 1 :30 more or less. I suppose the more interesting thing is that he made it to Santiago no problem with those shoes, but when I watched it about a month ago, I noticed the laces and wondered what the deal was.

He is heatbroken that they are his favorite shoes, out of poduction now, and this is his last pair. I know a lot of us can relate to that!

So thanks for teaching me the new term, “lock laces.”
Oh lordy, I do feel homesick.

Ex as in "has-been". spurt as in "drip-under-pressure"?

Members will be minded of Rule 1 of this forum and if they haven't read it they should make sure to do so before deciding to play key-board ping-pong.

Points will be awarded for further disregard of our rules.
Comment deleted.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have some cord-lock fasteners and elastic that look exactly like the ones used in these products - left over from making cloth masks with elastic lanyard/hand straps. I think I'll try them in my shoes. I'm just not sure if the elastic is the right firmness.

And what do points mean . . . ?
See this page, but any further discussion should done be by private Conversation.

I've been wearing shock cord laces for several years now - even my dress shoes have them - if nothing else it gives you a chance to jazz things up:

my tan Merrells have bright blue laces, my grey Skechers bright red but my black trail runners have florescent yellow ones. Asked why and I responded "So I can see my feet when it starts to get dark"

I've been wearing shock cord laces for several years now - even my dress shoes have them - if nothing else it gives you a chance to jazz things up:

I'm all about jazzing things up! 🤗
This thread (or most of it anyway) actually got me thinking about designing custom Camino shoelaces - maybe blue ones with little yellow arrows on them?

Turns out I'd have to order several hundred pair to make them cost efficient though ...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd sign up for blue-yellow camino laces!
I suppose you could buy a set of each of these:

1649170943477.png 1649170998999.png

and put a blue lace in one shoe and yellow in the other.

This would:
prevent somebody taking your shoes by mistake
give you an air of slightly outlandish chic
be a great ice breaker - "that's an interesting idea!"; "I never realised you were colour blind!"; "Is that so you know which shoe goes on which foot?"

EDIT:

Or these

1649172315288.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.