• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One day at a time, one photo at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I thought for a change I would switch to the Camino Portugues. This photo is taken just after walking under the Ponte da Arrabida, walking on the river on the way out of Porto. There are no fancy filters added; it is just the way it looked through the lens. It was weird. A beautiful clear day with a blue sky and no fog - except for this one patch surrounding the bridge.

20181001_094923.jpg

[Edit: I've added a thumbnail below to a photo that shows the approach to the bridge so you can see what I mean.]
20181001_093404.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Over the years of 2007- 2009 I walked together with husband and friends the Via Podiensis from Le Puy in France. One night when we stayed in La Romieu there was a thunderstorm and lots of rain. The next day we had to cross a field full of mud that stuck to our shoes. They became awfully heavy and it took quite a long time to clean them. The red shoes are mine and I was really afraid that they were destroyed. But they weren’t, I have walked a lot in them since then.🙂34469E81-41DE-4722-A182-5CEEDADAA8AE.jpeg

OMG, Tulle.
🤣🤣🤣
This brings back memories, besides being very funny in its own right. It's the hiking sandals that do me in....

I've had more than one day like that, but the one that sticks in the mind was coming into Burgos, getting to the river alternative alongside the airport with mud just like that. @sabine and I had a similar experience Last year coming into Miranda de Ebro on the Via de Bayona.

My photo today is from a foggy March day outside of VIllafranca Montes de Oca, with the peregrinos in front of me disappearing into white. This was the day before the seriously sticky mud, and there were daunting ponds of mud to come even before that a little later this day...IMG_7516.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
July 2014 - Walking past the shipbuilding company Navantia in Ferrol. As a very powerful symbol, the hundreds of workers who had lost their jobs hung their work clothing and clothing of their families on the fences surrounding the massive work yard.

View attachment 77212
Sometimes it is really difficult picking out the appropriate like response. I gave a Thank you for posting this pic and story but it certainly is a sad story.

Eunate

I'm posting this a few hours early as Peg and I will be out of internet range for a couple of days. This is a picture of one of the windows. It is not the same one above the door that I posted earlier nor is it the one in the apse, a picture of which is upcoming.

eunate-window.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sometimes it is really difficult picking out the appropriate like response. I gave a Thank you for posting this pic and story but it certainly is a sad story.
Yes, it was a sad, thoughtful start to the Camino Ingles. As I came across the photo today, I wondered if the families affected by sudden job loss then, are again experiencing the same situation due to the pandemic. Remembering certainly brought a keener understanding personally as my industry suddenly and completely shut down. There are blessings though and I'm gratefully counting them. 😌

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has anyone else seen this out of place elevator in the middle of nowhere ( just out of Hontanas )?
No, I never noticed it. I tend to fixate on the ruins after you go around the bend and start heading in the direction of San Anton. The rest of the exit from Hontanas, other than the swimming pool, is a blur.

Astorga, and the contrails of people headed west much faster than we were:Astorga-Rabinal del Camino (7).JPG

Last edited:
A wonderful visit and talk with this man in Santa Maria de Vilabade on the Primitivo. As we walked past a stone barn, he came out and asked if we would like to see his wood gallery. Every day he goes for a walk in the forest to find pieces of wood that he carves into sculptures, walking sticks, shelves, candlesticks... The barn was filled with his work. I liked the small, fanciful figures - they were 1 euro each. I chose 2 and as we were leaving, he put 3 more in my hands and wished us well on our journey. One of those strong special memories. I wish I had asked him his name.

santa maria de vilabade.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino del Norte-29th, April, 2018 In the evening in Zarautz with the locals and pilgrims promenading along the beach front. The restaurant where we had dinner that evening was also on the front behind where this photo was taken. While in the restaurant, we noticed the second photo below, taken on 04/03/2014!!!

20180429_192011.jpg20180429_201333.jpg

On the penultimate day on the Invierno, before dropping down to Ponte Ulla you come around a corner to a commanding view. There's a castro on the hill on the right, the hugh-speed train viaduct, and then way off in the distance left of centre is the first sight of Pico Sacra. The end is near.
20190615_142617 - Copy.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From the cliffs above San Andrés de Teixido (alleged resting place of Galicia's other apostolic bones) on the Ruta do Mar a day or so before Ferrol. Highest cliffs in mainland Europe, according to the tourism people. A plaque above San Andrés commemorates the death of Leslie Howard, shot down by the luftwaffe in 1943 a few miles off this coast.

teixido.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmm, how long has she been sitting here? I can’t remember seeing her. But the last time I left O Cebreiro was 2014...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Camino del Norte- 20th, May, 2018 This photo was taken in the Sidreria in Llanes, where we had dinner with Werner, one of our Camino friends from Germany. We stayed in the Albergue La Estacion. Our second accommodation on the Norte in a railway station! The first was in Deba. Both good Albergues.

20180520_204829.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The lonely keep of Pinhel's castle on the Camino Torres, looking back over Spain from a day or so inside Portugal's border. The delicious light fruity white wine rewards the pilgrim who makes the final ascent from what seems a very long way down.
pinhel.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Time to jump in and share. Picking just one a day is hard! Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about the Camino Castellano-Aragonés (from Zaragoza to Burgos), and getting to enjoy this particular cloister of the 12th century monastery of San Juan on the Duero River in Soria was one of the highlights.
View attachment 77497
I agree with V. Leave it to you to find the romanesque Laurie. I'm no expert but I think I see Moorish influence there. I see that the columns and arches in the background have different styles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A forum member I ran into on the CF in 2016 took this one of me. I met her as we walked in the rain, and then we'd run into each other as it goes! This was a brilliant sunrise, somewhere in the "middle." Nice to pop in and see all the amazing photos!
IMG_1096.jpg

I should have included this link yesterday so you can see photos on Flickr taken near the Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate.

Here is my picture for today. It isn't a favorite but I picked it because it shows the church at the end of the Camino Aragonese; where it joins the Francés.

junction-church-1.jpg

I wish I had taken a photo more like the one below (a portion of a Google Streetview). Taken from the Francés, it shows the Aragonese on the far side of the bollards.

junction-church-2.jpg

See photos on Flickr taken near meeting of the caminos.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am so glad to have started checking into this thread, not least of all because I got to see @CaminoDebrita’s photo. :p Good to see you!

As I sit here in the flatlands yearning for mountains, I think of my first “mountain camino,” the Salvador. The exhilaration it brought sent me off to walk caminos like the Olvidado, Vasco, Vadiniense. But there is something unmatchable about the stage between Buiza and Poladura.

12FCD48A-934E-4C0A-8591-E7D9602E32D4.jpeg

I remember coming round the corner and seeing this for the first time...the beauty stopped me in my tracks and I said "Oh my God" out loud as I gazed in wonder...

2015-05-17 225.jpeg

€60,-
Undoubtedly for me, the wow-inducing vistas are those including either mountains or a romanesque church! But in another thread, @C clearly posted a beautiful photo of an ”unspectacular” landscape and described how it filled her with exhilaration. I am now remembering all the many hours I have spent walking through “boring” olive groves or fields of grain and being filled with awe at the beauty and feeling such a powerful sense of — I am ALIVE!!!!

This picture is from the Mozárabe, in between Alcaudete and Baeza, but it could be so many places where the olive groves just go on and on and on, and it’s just you and the olives.

1593091445884.jpeg

Undoubtedly for me, the wow-inducing vistas are those including either mountains or a romanesque church! But in another thread, @C clearly posted a beautiful photo of an ”unspectacular” landscape and described how it filled her with exhilaration. I am now remembering all the many hours I have spent walking through “boring” olive groves or fields of grain and being filled with awe at the beauty and feeling such a powerful sense of — I am ALIVE!!!!
Amen.
The meseta is beloved for a reason - I often feel that way there, striding between the long earth and the vast sky. Photos don't capture that so well.

Sansol - I stood for a long time at this view. As @peregrina2000 says above...that moment of awe at the beauty of place.
Wow. What a beautiful photo, and very different from my experience of that place. Driving rain howling wind and no visibility meant I didn't see how beautiful it actually was. I was just cold and wet and miserable...

Wow. What a beautiful photo, and very different from my experience of that place. Driving rain howling wind and no visibility meant I didn't see how beautiful it actually was. I was just cold and wet and miserable...
Those dark clouds in the photo opened up soon after with sudden heavy rain. The next photo in my file after Sansol is of pilgrims struggling to get into their ponchos. Then 20 minutes later, there is a photo of the sky clearing with a rainbow over the landscape. I love having a record of the date and time of each photo - years later when some memories are sketchy, there is such great visual help piecing together a timeline of the day.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
Camino del Norte- 17th, May, 2018 Walking from Cobreces to Comillas, we walked passed this lovely little chapel in Pando and were able to go in, which didn't happen very often on the del Norte. You can see St James above the entrance way. Unfortunately, can't find the name of the chapel.
20180517_113030.jpg20180517_112641.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is especially for @peregrina2000 .
Ermita Nuestra Señora del Valle, just after Monasterio de Rodilla on the Via de Bayona.
I wish I had read that link before I walked - I would have spent more time there. Edit - I see it was under the jurisdiction of the Monastery in Oña, just off the Viejo. Monasterio de Rodilla was an important stop along the way that goes from Bordeaux to Asorga and its Roman predecessor is mentioned by Pliny. Now it is a sleepy town, completely shut on Tuesdays. Fair warning.

Attachments

• 20190528_141721.jpg
    20190528_141721.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20190528_141616.jpg
    20190528_141616.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Today I simply have to send in two pictures. Despite appearances they do have something in common. They were taken along the early Francés so nearly every pilgrim reading this post has seen these places. What do they have in common?

Use the two spoiler buttons below the pictures for either a hint or the answer.

IMG_20191110_102952.jpg

IMG_20191110_103108.jpg

Click this spoiler button for a hint:
Here is a Google Streetview of the monument. Click to enlarge. our-lady-monument.jpg

Click this spoiler button for the answer:
Despite looking like pictures taken in late summer and late autumn I took the pictures two minutes apart from the exact same spot.

November 10th outside of Uterga on the Pamplona side of the camino. 42.714,-1.757

See photos on Flickr taken near the monument to the Virgin Mary.

Last edited:
It's the madonna at the foot of the alto de perdon, as you come into Uterga, right? I am guessing that one photo's of the madonna looking back at the alto you probably just stumbled down (dang rocks!), and the other is taken looking towards the town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One is of the Sacred Heart. It has a feature beside it, wrought iron?, a shell. The setting is an open rectangular space, and so has the second picture , but even magnifying it I cannot see a matching shell feature...

It's the madonna at the foot of the alto de perdon, as you come into Uterga, right?
One is of the Sacred Heart. It has a feature beside it, wrought iron?, a shell. The setting is an open rectangular space, and so has the second picture , but even magnifying it I cannot see a matching shell feature...
I edited my post a tiny bit to insert the pictures full size and I also wrote before the pictures "Use the two spoiler buttons below the pictures for either a hint or the answer".

I am guessing that one photo's of the madonna looking back at the alto you probably just stumbled down (dang rocks!)
On this trip I walked up the rocky part of the trail. My daily goal was Pamplona. I've got to admit that that section slowed us down a bit 4 years before and Peg normally flew down similar trails.

Today’s photo(s) are of my camino friends George (on the left) and Mike on the Frances, September 2012. People called them the most photographed pilgrims from the back on the camino :). Drying laundry, bandanas, bags of food…everything attached to the pack with George’s special clips. I first met them on the climb to Alto Perdon. It was a very hot day and they were sharing a small circle of shade under a tree. I stopped to chat and it seemed like they were old friends. They were so happy to be on this adventure, joking and cheering each other on. Later I found out they had just met the day before and decided to become walking buddies.

The camino was a religious pilgrimage for George and I will always remember a wonderful long conversation about faith that I had with him on the stage to Lorca. Due to illness, George had to leave the camino twice but returned 2 more times to continue and complete his walk to Santiago.

I just heard today that sadly, George passed away on June 7. Rest in peace to a wonderfully kind man.

George Mike Alto del Perdón.jpgGeorge Mike Cirauqui.jpg

On the Portugues in 2015 I met German Sabine, same name as I. She is an occupational therapist ( also worked in mental health like I so we had alot in common ) . She also gives painting workshops ( she made gorgeous daily sketches ) Her " artist " name is BIN ( short for Sabine but in German also meaning ' I am " ).
We walked on our own during the day but we covered the same distances so we shared a mix of albergue and private rooms.
In Santiago she gave me this wonderful small shell ( that she picked up in Fisterre ) with this beautiful dedication.

BIN.jpg

Are others here also having difficulties loading the pictures here lately? Should we use the thumbnail function?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Are others here also having difficulties loading the pictures here lately? Should we use the thumbnail function?
Actually, I was even wondering does it need closing of this set of posts and opening a part 2? Maybe thumbnail is the answer, though...

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
So the new thread is live!
I will have the mods close this thread for further replies.
Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful sharing...please keep them coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back