• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options for not walking through industrial areas

phot

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk August 2015
Good day to all, being that both time and money are short, can anyone tell me which areas I could bus through so as to avoid not so pleasant scenery, such as factories ect. PS... God bless all of you. For just after a few months of following this site I can't help but be inspired by all the kindness I see . (I am an American living in Europe )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good day to all, being that both time and money are short, can anyone tell me which areas I could bus through so as to avoid not so pleasant scenery, such as factories ect. PS... God bless all of you. For just after a few months of following this site I can't help but be inspired by all the kindness I see . (I am an American living in Europe )
Hello, you can take a bus for the areas before Burgos and Leon. Wish you well, Peter.

Hi Phot, there's no need to take buses. Just get yourself a guide, and look for alternative roads.
There are maps in every good guide, and you can either take one of the alternative marked roads, or just walk an unmarked one according to the map.
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are places as uninspiring as industrial areas. Bus transportation is very regular, so you can make decisions each day to take a bus. Big cities have industrial areas, so that is the most obvious place to use a bus arriving or departing. You may want to choose a bus more on how you feel, how hot it is, or how much time you have left, rather than on the industrial nature of the environment. For example, the walk out of Logrono is part industrial, but part park and lake. Taking a bus, you miss both.

Into Burgos, once you get to the bridge to cross the highway (pedestrian is it? It's been a while since I walked that route) and where you decide to go the airport direction or not, optimg not to go towards the airport youmfind yourself walking along a major road with all sorts of businesses. On that road, very soon, therés a typical truck driver restaurant, and in front of it therés a bus stop. Bus will take you tomthe center of town.

For Leon, the train line that goes through Sahagun parallels the Camino forba few etapas. You could choose to jump on that train at some point.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a wonderful river camino route into Burgos. It's on a bike path which becomes the sidewalk in the old town right to the Arco de Santa Maria and it also leads you out of town.
Follow the camino to Castaneres to pick it up. Stay cool and enjoy the scenery!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks , very helpful! The reason is that we have booked our return tickets. (Can't risk losing them) 35 days Really doesn't leave much rest time. Being first time "caminoers", we were thinking maybe these could be our rest days. We are well trained hikers but 35 days will be a 1st. We truly hope we won't need to stop. All the invaluable info we have gathered from this site has made the difference. The reassurance we now feel is thanks to all of you.

Last edited:
.......For example, the walk out of Logrono is part industrial, but part park and lake....
If you have the time ... walk the whole distance. So what if some of it is ugly.
Ugly I can handle, but that concrete walkway into Logroño, and the interminable concrete walkway out, was murder on my feet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Out of Leon:
Walk west on Avenida Ordoño. This is the big main street in old Leon.
Cross the river (the street name becomes Palencia)
Directly across the street from the Renfe train station is a city bus stop on Avenida Astorga.
If you stand there, you can catch a morning bus to Virgen del Camino, where you can have breakfast and begin your walk, skipping all the busy city walking.

Bus into Burgos from villafria...I think...just did Camino in thirty five days..
didn't really have days off....but short days walking into cities....but you will know best once you get started....slowly in the first week to reduce risk of injury....then gradually increase your kilometres....Don't go off at a sprint....you will pay for it later....drink plenty of water in the heat...wet scarves or similar help to keep you cool....listen to your body...if you are tired stop early if not keep going....one of the benefits of not booking ahead......if you are running out of time hop on a bus for short sections....rather than miss whole areas.....even with all the bad press the meseta gets I still enjoyed most of it....was just heat that I struggled with

Thanks , very helpful! The reason is that we have booked our return tickets. (Can't risk losing them) 35 days Really doesn't leave much rest time. Being first time "caminoers", we were thinking maybe these could be our rest days. We are well trained hikers but 35 days will be a 1st. We truly hope we won't need to stop. All the invaluable info we have gathered from this site has made the difference. The reassurance we now feel is thanks to all of you.
Hi again I should add I did this in thirty five days and although I like walking I would not call myself a seasoned hiker.....I did a few practice walks with my boots and rucksack and off I went.....I booked my flight in January and started walking in April.....I am sure given what you have said above....you will be fine in thirty five days and if you want more sight seeing time then just do short hops on the bus.....enjoy your camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I took a public bus out of Leon that drove me 8 kilometers outside the city limits. I caught the bus on a rotunda right near the old city center, the blue line, and it took me to Virgen del Camino. From there I walked a a few km to a scenic route that left the highway.

There is also a public bus out of Mansilla de las Mulas that will take you to the main bus station in Leon, a short walk away from the Cathedral and the tourist office. I took this bus as a rest day because of some tendinitis, and it was a good decision. I rested one more day in Leon, and then took the bus 8 km to Virgen del Camino.

I didn't plan to take these buses. It all came about because I was listening to my body. But if you know you want to skip the big city, industrial entrances, these two buses might be your choice.

Leon to Burgos would be a good slot to miss but even though there were industrial bits and they weren't that nice it all added to the contrast and made the nicer bits seem even more special
If you do have the time do the lot

Bus into Burgos from villafria...I think...just did Camino in thirty five days..
didn't really have days off....but short days walking into cities....but you will know best once you get started....slowly in the first week to reduce risk of injury....then gradually increase your kilometres....Don't go off at a sprint....you will pay for it later....drink plenty of water in the heat...wet scarves or similar help to keep you cool....listen to your body...if you are tired stop early if not keep going....one of the benefits of not booking ahead......if you are running out of time hop on a bus for short sections....rather than miss whole areas.....even with all the bad press the meseta gets I still enjoyed most of it....was just heat that I struggled with

Fiona99, you went from SJPDP to Santiago in 35 days? Recently?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that this is a related question. Could any experienced walker of the Camino Frances suggest places where it might be possible to take a bus or an alternate route where the route is on or crosses a major highway and may be dangerous? I have heard that traffic is the main hazard for pilgrims and there have been deaths this year. I do not want to be a statistic.

Fiona99, you went from SJPDP to Santiago in 35 days? Recently?
Yes started April 23 and finished May 27th. My shortest days were about 5km...Going into Pamplona and Santiago....longest 33km think did about three of those....too long for me really.
.Had lots of days when finished walking by 2pm starting mostly about 7am...with a breakfast and mid morning /lunch stop. One day left really early as long stretch with no places to stop. Going into cities tried to only walk about 15km max..as you then walk loads of km sightseeing. The heat was my biggest problem...did have some days where I struggled being tired but just stopped early....next day usually fine.....My brother said I made it look easy ....it wasn't as hard as I expected....but not easy. Hope that helps.

I think that this is a related question. Could any experienced walker of the Camino Frances suggest places where it might be possible to take a bus or an alternate route where the route is on or crosses a major highway and may be dangerous? I have heard that traffic is the main hazard for pilgrims and there have been deaths this year. I do not want to be a statistic.
There is some busier road walking but cannot rember exactly where...sure others will help you out with that....but can't say I ever felt really at risk apart from a few occassions when I had to cross over a busier road. Just be over cautious ....I never quite remember which direction traffic is approaching from....so spent loads of time looking both ways ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Out of Leon:
Walk west on Avenida Ordoño. This is the big main street in old Leon.
Cross the river (the street name becomes Palencia)
Directly across the street from the Renfe train station is a city bus stop on Avenida Astorga.
If you stand there, you can catch a morning bus to Virgen del Camino, where you can have breakfast and begin your walk, skipping all the busy city walking.
You can also catch that bus in front of the Banco Santander building at the top os the huge round about on the main commercial artery.

I would not worry about any stretc that particularly dangeous, just keep watch traffic whereever you are.

I recall only two, maybe three, major highways that had to be crossed and these were spanned by pedestrian overpasses, so crossing the highways is not a problem. There were other roads we had to cross where particular attention is needed. (I just did a 'title only' search of this forum using the word 'dangerous' and several threads popped up, where you might find more specific information.) Again, if I recall correctly, there was one place where, because of a curve in the road, we decided it was safer to not follow the rule of walking facing the traffic, and we crossed over to the 'wrong side.' And, as soon as the coast was clear, we crossed back over so that we were back facing the traffic. Just be alert at all times. Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks to those who replied. Like most people, I do not feel frightened of traffic: too used to it. But I know that it can be dangerous. As a pilgrim I shall be at threat from busy traffic at times and must try to pay intense attention while walking next to major roads. I shall try to find less busy routes, when possible. I just don't feel confident in maintaining that level of attention.

Thanks to those who replied. Like most people, I do not feel frightened of traffic: too used to it. But I know that it can be dangerous. As a pilgrim I shall be at threat from busy traffic at times and must try to pay intense attention while walking next to major roads. I shall try to find less busy routes, when possible. I just don't feel confident in maintaining that level of attention.
Go buy an orange hunting cap of some sort. Easier that trying to figure out detours that may not exist just to avoid 100 meters of busier raodway.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back