• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orrison is not responding! Help!

Coleen Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
Perhaps you can help me. I have been trying for three weeks now to contact Orrinson for my first night's stay, a critical one for me since I am not as physically fit as I should be and I am worried about my ability to walk the Camino. I have sent 5 e-mails, with no replys at all. I call the two numbers given on the website, the first says it is disconnected and the mobile says the number is changed. I do not want to begin my walk in frustration or apprehension. Am I calling the wrong numbers or sending to the wrong address?
Phone: 00 33 559491303

Mobile : 00 33 681497956

Email :
Sans-titre-3.jpg

These are directly off their website, but do not seem to work. I can walk the rest of the Camino knowing that each day will take care of itself, but so much has been said on the Forum about the climb that I am determined now to stay at Orrinson, or else walk a different route.
I NEED A RESERVATION FOR TUESDAY, AUGUST 4!!
Any information you can give me will be very much appreciated.
Coleen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Keep trying. They are always slow to respond, and they are dealing with turn-away crowds at the moment! I don't know about the phones not working.

Sorry I can't help but am interested in what others might say. I used the website form 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back. However since I am asking about October I assumed they are still deciding about their closing date, and didn't reply yet because there's lots of time. But that isn't the case for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If all else fails you could walk up to orisson and taxi back down to SJPdP....then taxi back up to orisson to continue walking the next day..don't know cost but can't be too much as its only a few km....8 km I think......bit of a faff but if you want to walk that route it is a s solution that I have heard others suggest and do....Buen Camino

The only way I finally got a response was after booking thru PayPal, even though I never did stay there. Just walked on to Roncevalles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The only way I finally got a response was after booking thru PayPal, even though I never did stay there. Just walked on to Roncevalles.
So how did you do that? I do not see a Paypal button on their website. I have Paypal and could pay if I knew how. Oh this is so frustrating. I may wind up walking it, taxiing back to SJPP and back up again the next morning like fiona99 says, but that's a last resort. Oh my.

So how did you do that? I do not see a Paypal button on their website. I have Paypal and could pay if I knew how. Oh this is so frustrating. I may wind up walking it, taxiing back to SJPP and back up again the next morning like fiona99 says, but that's a last resort. Oh my.
That walk to Roncesvalles the first day tends to be a bit exaggerated on here at times (like a fish story). Everyday people of all ages, sizes, etc walk all the way to Roncesvalles with no problem (especially during the summer). A lot did it today I am sure. Don't let the prospect of not staying at Orisson worry you. Like I've said on here before, I think some members on this forum have a profit-sharing agreement with albergue Orisson, ha ha.
There's a time lapse video someone posted on this forum once showing the walk from SJPdP all the way to Roncesvalles. It kind of dispels the myths some have of it being like a trek up the Himalayas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Just figured it out myself. I went on Paypal, put in their email address and the amount in euros, then in the note section put in my name, date, and thank you. If I am supposed to stay at Orrison, they will contact me now that they have my money. If I am not supposed to stay there because they are all booked up, I will deal with it. Sometimes ya gotta let go. I have spent too much time and energy worrying about this.
Adelante!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Y
Ok. Just figured it out myself. I went on Paypal, put in their email address and the amount in euros, then in the note section put in my name, date, and thank you. If I am supposed to stay at Orrison, they will contact me now that they have my money. If I am not supposed to stay there because they are all booked up, I will deal with it. Sometimes ya gotta let go. I have spent too much time and energy worrying about this.
Adelante!
Yes they simply have the mountain no competition

Adelante!
Print out the receipt and stick in your pack to show upon your arrival.

Hi Coleen, I made my reservation at the website and after 3 day's I got a mail back, had to pay with PayPal after that my payment was my reservation. Wish you well, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Coleen: I experienced the same situation last September. The phone numbers and e-mail address are correct. It could be that the owners, Jean-Jacques and Carole, are away and the staff is slow to respond. There is another contact number for Carol at Gite du Camp Romain at St. Jean Le Vieux. If calling from the States. dial 011-6-86-99-82-03. Carole speaks some English.

Another option is to ask your aubergue in St. Jean Pied de Port to contact Jean Jacques on your behalf. Locals are far better getting through than overseas phone calls.

Another possibility is to ask the tourist information center in St. Jean to make a reservation on your behalf. They do speak English. Explain your situation. They are there to help.

Here are the contact details: 14, place Charles de Gaulle
64220 Saint Jean Pied De Port
Tel :+ 33 5 59 37 03 57
Fax : + 33 5 59 37 34 91
saint.jean.pied.de.port@wanadoo.fr

Lastly, at Orisson they do have tents for the overflow crowd behind the refuge and another gite: Kayola, 800 meters below Orisson. For the former, I would advise having a light role similar to a yoga mat. The roll is very helpful as many refugios/refuge will be full at times as you walk.

The most important aspect of the climb to Orisson and beyond is a comfortable pace and lots I mean lots of hydration before and during the walk. Leave St. Jean early and enjoy the spectacular morning light and cool air. It will get warmer during the day. Your lungs will get more of a workout as you adjust to the altitude differential.

Don't stress yourself out ahead of time. You will find that your body and mental toughness will endure as you make your Camino.

Good luck.

Hi Coleen, I made my reservation at the website and after 3 day's I got a mail back, had to pay with PayPal after that my payment was my reservation. Wish you well, Peter.
It has been three weeks, and I only have a few weeks before I will need them, so I rolled the dice and sent them 35euro thru paypal. I either have a reservation or a thank you for your donation. Either way I am letting go and letting God.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It has been three weeks, and I only have a few weeks before I will need them, so I rolled the dice and sent them 35euro thru paypal. I either have a reservation or a thank you for your donation. Either way I am letting go and letting God.
Wish you good luck, Peter.

That walk to Roncesvalles the first day tends to be a bit exaggerated on here at times (like a fish story). Everyday people of all ages, sizes, etc walk all the Roncesvalles with no problem (especially during the summer). A lot did it today I am sure. Don't let the prospect of not staying at Orisson worry you. Like I've said on here before, I think some members on this forum have a profit-sharing agreement with albergue Orisson, ha ha.
There's a time lapse video someone posted on this forum once showing the walk from SJPdP all the way to Roncesvalles. It kind of dispels the myths some have of it being like a trek up the Himalayas.
Let´s get thing straight .

Donibane Garazi/SJPdP stands at 165mtrs. the heights point of this hike is Col Lepeoder at 1430 mrs. the you defend to Oreaga/Roncesvalle at 950 mrs. The hike from Donibane Garazi/SJPdP to Col Lepeoder is 20.5 kms. The total walk is 25.7 kms. That´s a climb of 1,265 in 20.5 kms. That´s a steep climb. Now I am a regular hiker, I hike every weekend both days Sat & Sun these are my mountains I know them very well. I understand that if you are a hiker this is just a beautiful and tough day but for someone who has come from the other side of the world and has not rested to this hike is tough and if you add to that that this person is middle aged over weight and dos no exercise what so ever to walk this in one go to say the least is a very very hard day and can ruin their plan to get to Santiago.

In Spanish there is an old saying " Mistime despacio que tengo prisa. " " dress me slowly I´m in a hurry." Let´ s not confuse people and ruin their Camino please. The Camino is hard enough without making it even harder.

Btw I have no commission from Refuge Orisson can you say the same from the helicopter rescue squad? :rolleyes:

Ondo Ibili !
I don't know dude, I'm from flat (so flat it's below sea level) south Louisiana. Don't mountaineer. Did no prior training. Was in my 50's, and walked all the way to Roncesvalles the first day on both my Caminos with no problem. My second one I continued on to Burguete.
Yeah, I agree with you on the point that there are bound to be pilgrims that can't walk all the way that first day and have no business trying to. Sure. Agreed. And from time to time one will have bitten off more than they can chew and succumb to a prior medical condition. It happens. But I've seen so many posts on here that do over inflate the difficulty.
I definitely don't get any commissions from the Spanish search and rescue. Is it a lucrative investment if I do? If so, I'm interested. :D

Coleen, I think you have it covered now. The backup plan for a taxi sounds good. But what do I know, I started from Roncesvalles! Have a wonderful Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Coleen, Glad to hear that you have found a solution - I should think that a receipt indicating payment will get you a bed. As for the on going debate over the difficulty of St. Jean to Roncesvalles…I think there are so many variables to that walk that there is never a simple answer. Jet lag, heat or cold, wind, etc. all have an impact. If you are feeling that it is best to break up the walk then that is what is best for you. We chose to reserve at Orisson and I'm so glad that we did. After travelling from the west coast of Canada with little sleep, having two poor nights sleep in hotels, and then setting off in temperatures in the high 30's with strong wind even that first 8 kilometres felt tough. (And we had trained prior to our Camino.) At any rate you will soon be on your way. My husband and I are leaving Canada on August 4th and heading to Burgos to resume our Camino so we will be wandering around Spain at the same time as you! Buen Camino!

Do you have a helicopter? If so you got yourself a partner.:p

Ondo Ibili !
Oh a helicopter ride would be so nice......although when I flew into Biarritz the French man in seat next to me was rather concerned that we were approaching runway from the wrong end.......not once but twice we flew out to sea and did a huge circle over the mountains .....before approaching the runway and landing....the French man was still insistent that we landed at the wrong end......I was too busy enjoying the view to care.

Everything I'm reading about Orrison is that the proprietor is busier than a one-armed paper hanger. There have been a lot of complaints here about no response to e-mails.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know dude, I'm from flat (so flat it's below sea level) south Louisiana. Don't mountaineer. Did no prior training. Was in my 50's, and walked all the way to Roncesvalles the first day on both my Caminos with no problem. My second one I continued on to Burguete.
Yeah, I agree with you on the point that there are bound to be pilgrims that can't walk all the way that first day and have no business trying to. Sure. Agreed. And from time to time one will have bitten off more than they can chew and succumb to a prior medical condition. It happens. But I've seen so many posts on here that do over inflate the difficulty.
I definitely don't get any commissions from the Spanish search and rescue. Is it a lucrative investment if I do? If so, I'm interested. :D
I personally don't think the pyrenees section is difficult and is blown out of proportion too......obviously any mountain presents some challenges ....such as unpredictable weather......but I do think it is important to go slowly in the first week ie not too many km per day.....to give your body time to adjust to what you are asking of it.....I went s lowly ....no problems.....some of my group went racing ahead and ended up with tendonitis ....some who were less fit had problems with tendonitis by day three......that's why I think it's important to break up the first stage into two shorter sections.

I think if you have a concern for fitness, health, weather you should consider Orrison. I left sjpdp with 4 healthy adults 2 of us had reservations. If you need it use it. None of us did. We simply asked them to give the beds to someone in need. As there were folks who needed to stop. I don't know if our donation was used or simply additional profit, but it makes no difference to me as it is a needed service for many.

Ok. So I have some time to volunteer, and some basic computer skills. I'll let the guy at Orrison know I could help, if he lets me. That way everyone has a face and a name to blame if there's no response. ME!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My plan was to get to SJpDP the same day I arrived from the US. Didn't work because of immigration lines then missing planes, trains, automobiles, etc. Ended in Pamplona for the night with a reservation at Orrison the next night. Took a taxi from Pamplona to SJpDP the following morning and started mi Camino about 11:00 and was very happy happy to stay at Orisson that night for 2 reasons:
1) without knowing it, was too late a start to make it all the way to Roncenvalles for me. SJpDP deserves some time to explore for just a bit and for me to just to absorb that I was actually there and going to start...
2) Orisson stay was great. Meeting new pilgrims just like me have created new relationships that I'm hoping will last for life. The space invites that
Looking back I would say that my best decision for mi Camino was staying at Orisson on the first night. Just me talking.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'd like to meet Jean-Jacques, the proprietor of Orisson. He seems to be his own man, operates on his own time, doesn't take any guff from anyone, and does not seem too concerned about the whims of those trying to stay at his establishment, and certainly not to some of us westerners who want service when we want it, and as soon as. I think I like the guy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hate to,be a pain. But first gwt tue country code right. Then, do not ever depend on 1 albergue to make youe camino possible.

Ok. Just figured it out myself. I went on Paypal, put in their email address and the amount in euros, then in the note section put in my name, date, and thank you.
I'm happy to read about your success. I agree that now you should relax and let things unfold.

I tried entering the email address at the Paypal site, but Paypal said that payment must be done from the merchant's website. By coincidence (?) after 2 weeks, today I received an email from Orisson confirming the night of Oct 14. Jean-Jacques wrote that "To confirm i send you one demand of payment by paypal system" so I assume that will come later by email. Can anyone confirm this?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm happy to read about your success. I agree that now you should relax and let things unfold.

I tried entering the email address at the Paypal site, but Paypal said that payment must be done from the merchant's website. By coincidence (?) after 2 weeks, today I received an email from Orisson confirming the night of Oct 14. Jean-Jacques wrote that "To confirm i send you one demand of payment by paypal system" so I assume that will come later by email. Can anyone confirm this?
C clearly:
My demand for payment came a day later from a quite different name (Sarl Apathia), but clearly a payment for Orisson, which I paid to confirm my booking.

Mine was the same as Albertagirl, a confirmation email and then the next day a PayPal request for payment from Apathia Sarl. They took about 5 days to get back to me for a booking on Aug. 30 and I just booked last week on July 6.

Yes Clare this is how it's normally done, once you pay through his instructions you have your bed.
Buen camino
Sarah

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I´m sorry but I must disagree with you on this. I cannot use the word I would as I would be risking a warning but this statement of yours is absolutely B....... . Pardon my French.;)

Ondo Ibili !
A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.
"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."
"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.
Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.
Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.
"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."
"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
What you give, you receive back in kind.

Hi Coleen, as Mark Lee said, do make a copy and present it. It took me several tries but I finally got a response. I too reserved with PayPal. I totally understand that with so little time left, you would be frustrated. Speaking of documents (couldn't find a thread this), I find that many people neglect to pencil in their emergency contact info in their passport. (not sure how different each passport is). Also good idea to make a couple of copies of all docs and keep one at home and two in separate places in your equipment, i.e. passport, travel tickets, medical insurance policy, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Coleen, you sound like a "friend of Bill".
In any case, I am sure it will work out and I wish you a wonderful journey !

I used Orisson's email and requested a reservation and heard back from them yesterday. They sent a request to pay by Pay Pal which I did. I received a receipt by email. It took about 2 weeks but they will contact you.

Orisson would be very busy even now & for several weeks to come including 4 August.

Summer holidays for Europeans are 20-06-2015 until 17-09-2015.
If you are wanting definite answer there is HUNTO 2km before Orisson . This means a very easy relaxed start with benefit of leaving St Jean later in the morning .
The walk to Roncesvalles in a push for your first day and may be your toughest climb and longest distances of whole camino. Many can do , even when able to do I choose not too - the benefit of breaking this stage into 2 days may not be evident until some time later ie 2 weeks later

a few details here http://www.tumbarumba.co.uk/PILGRIM WALKS/Camino 2014/1.htm

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Update! Got my e-mail! Got my reservation. I worry about things so much! I know, right? Let go and let God. If anyone else is going to be in Orrison on Aug 4th I'll be the happy tired old lady sipping red wine and wondering why the heck I started on this adventure. Buen Camino my friends!

Update! Got my e-mail! Got my reservation. I worry about things so much! I know, right? Let go and let God. If anyone else is going to be in Orrison on Aug 4th I'll be the happy tired old lady sipping red wine and wondering why the heck I started on this adventure. Buen Camino my friends!

YAY!!! Really happy for you Coleen! As we say in the North of England I am "chuffed to rotten bits!"
It's such a relief when that confirmation comes through, I had to check mine several times just to make sure it was really, truly, actually there and I hadn't imagined it?

This is going to be one of the best adventures you ever had! Blessings on your journey, enjoy every second. :)
Buen camino
Sarah x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Similar problem with Orisson took ages to respond to my e mail but send me a Pay Pal invoice finally. Paid that waiting for the the mail confirmation now.

Couple of ? on those lines.

Arriving SJPP around 2pm need to get a Compostella and buy some poles and then head out for Orisson and looking to get there before 6:30pm. Will pre order the poles.

Looks doable allowing 1 hour in SJPP, 2.5 hours for the 7k arrive by 5:30. Anyone with any advice as to whether that sound about right. Am I allowing enough time for getting the Compostella and poles. Am I allowing enough time for the walk up to Orisson.

I did not hear from the m at first. I then went on line to a language translater and re-sent my email in French. I heard bacl immediately and then booked my stay and paid, got receipt of payment.

Have you considered an email in French? Use the on line language translator

Similar problem with Orisson took ages to respond to my e mail but send me a Pay Pal invoice finally. Paid that waiting for the the mail confirmation now.

Arriving SJPP around 2pm need to get a Compostella and buy some poles and then head out for Orisson and looking to get there before 6:30pm. Will pre order the poles.

Looks doable allowing 1 hour in SJPP, 2.5 hours for the 7k arrive by 5:30. Anyone with any advice as to whether that sound about right. Am I allowing enough time for getting the Compostella and poles. Am I allowing enough time for the walk up to Orisson.
I don't know your entire itinerary as how far are you traveling from, coming from the states it was a brutal trip, I think you might be pushing it to close. Stay the day in SJPDP & walk up in the morning. No need to rush the early days as if you do you will regret it. As you have many days to build your body for the walk. Lovely part of France to charge out of.
Buen Camino
Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Why the rush , take a day in SJPdP and rust a bit . You will nead the energy for your walk over the mountains .
Wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back