• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense to Santiago with kids

Rosalinda

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Sarria to Santiago; 2017 Ourense to Santiago
In July 2015 my husband and I walked from Sarria to Santiago with our two sons ages 11 and 14. I have to admit that it was not easy walking with them as they were not really into it like we were. They stopped complaining as much at the mid way point. My husband and I were thinking about doing another 100km in July 2017. The kids have decided that they want to come along. I was thinking that we should walk from Ourense to Santiago, but the kids say we should do Sarria to Santiago again. On this forum I have read that the last 100km on the Vdlp are the most beautiful of all the Caminos. I need to gather as much info. so that I can convince them that doing Ourense to Santiago is the better option. I think that the only reason they liked the CF is because it had so many places for them to stop and buy refreshments and snacks. For those of you you have done Sarria to Santiago and Ourense to Santiago maybe you can help us out by telling us how they compare to each other. First we have no choice but to go in July or August. We live in northern Virginia so last year in July the weather from Sarria to Santiago was very good. Is the Vdlp much hotter? I loved Sarria to Santiago because it was well marked, not too difficult of a walk, we past many small villages, a lot of the walking was done on trails with lots of shade and then the kids were able to stop and buy snacks along the way. Will Ourense to Santiago be like this? We don't want to disappoint the kids. I would hate to take them on this other trail and then it turned out nothing like we were expecting. Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In July 2015 my husband and I walked from Sarria to Santiago with our two sons ages 11 and 14. I have to admit that it was not easy walking with them as they were not really into it like we were. They stopped complaining as much at the mid way point. My husband and I were thinking about doing another 100km in July 2017. The kids have decided that they want to come along. I was thinking that we should walk from Ourense to Santiago, but the kids say we should do Sarria to Santiago again. On this forum I have read that the last 100km on the Vdlp are the most beautiful of all the Caminos. I need to gather as much info. so that I can convince them that doing Ourense to Santiago is the better option. I think that the only reason they liked the CF is because it had so many places for them to stop and buy refreshments and snacks. For those of you you have done Sarria to Santiago and Ourense to Santiago maybe you can help us out by telling us how they compare to each other. First we have no choice but to go in July or August. We live in northern Virginia so last year in July the weather from Sarria to Santiago was very good. Is the Vdlp much hotter? I loved Sarria to Santiago because it was well marked, not too difficult of a walk, we past many small villages, a lot of the walking was done on trails with lots of shade and then the kids were able to stop and buy snacks along the way. Will Ourense to Santiago be like this? We don't want to disappoint the kids. I would hate to take them on this other trail and then it turned out nothing like we were expecting. Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hola, Rosalinda!

Welcome to the forum!
I don't want to go into why only and again last 100km to Santiago or how not do disappoint (???) kids but do think about any, not just the last, 100km if the time constrains is an issue... Otherwise, have you looked at Porto (Portugues), Monforte de Lemos (Invierno), Lugo (Primitivo), Ferrol/A Coruna (Ingles) or Fisterra/Muxia as a starting point for your 100km Camino?

BTW, technically Ourense isn't on VdlP but Sanabres. Via de la Plata goes from Zamora via Benavente to Astorga.

Ultreia!

Ourense to Santiago is gorgeous. And you can shorten the stages but there are not nearly as many places to stop for eating or for sleeping. And there is some climbing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In terms of degree of difficulty and shade they're about the same although the climb of about 5km out of Ourense on the harder route is a good challenge for the children ! There are not as many refreshment stops either but the scenery and the stops on the way make up for it. There are some great places you will see from Ourense which is chidlren friendly city then on to Cea the village full of breadmakers, Oseira Monastery,Lalin, Silleda & Ponte Ulla...For the adullts I do agree along with Camino de Invierno it's one of the most beautiful stretched of the camino.

Hola, Rosalinda!

Welcome to the forum!
I don't want to go into why only and again last 100km to Santiago or how not do disappoint (???) kids but do think about any, not just the last, 100km if the time constrains is an issue... Otherwise, have you looked at Porto (Portugues), Monforte de Lemos (Invierno), Lugo (Primitivo), Ferrol/A Coruna (Ingles) or Fisterra/Muxia as a starting point for your 100km Camino?

BTW, technically Ourense isn't on VdlP but Sanabres. Via de la Plata goes from Zamora via Benavente to Astorga.

Ultreia!
You are right. It does not have to be the last 100km. I will look into the places you mentioned above. Thanks for taking the time and suggesting those other starting points.

You are right. It does not have to be the last 100km. I will look into the places you mentioned above. Thanks for taking the time and suggesting those other starting points.
Those mentioned starting points are just that - starting points on different routes that qualifies you to get Compostela for at least 100kms walked. But there are other beautiful 100kms stretches on any route ;)

I think walking from Santiago to Fisterra is quite rewarding when you first see the Atlantic ocean. You can get Fisterrana and if continue to Muxia (you have to get sello in Lires, also possible to sleep there in albergue: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-as-eiras) you can collect Muxiana.

Anyway it's nice you're walking with kids!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back