• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over Planning Again

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I'm just whiling away a couple of hours planning another Camino.

This time Pat will be coming with me.
It will only be a short one as 7-10 days is enough for Pat and we have other things to fit in on this next trip.
We might if time allows try to fit in some volunteering too.
She'd like to get another Compostela though.
She dedicates them to relatives who have passed.

Now for me to have a pleasant Camino, albeit a short one, 'she who must be obeyed' needs to be the primary focus.
So route selection is crucial.
Plus, I'm trying to select one that I have not walked before.

Pat struggles on hills a bit, though we can cope with that OK, by walking shorter days. (15-20 kms)
She can do 20 kms on flatter terrian OK.

I was favouring the Sanabres from Ourense, as I have not walked that before.
I enjoyed the Invierno and rather hoped it was similar.

Using the Brierly guides I made some simple comparisons.

Wow, the Sanabres looks hilly!
I enjoyed the hills on the Invierno, but I had already walked 800 kms before I got to them.
Are the hills a challenge from Ourense for the less fit?

I'm not that interested in the Ingles and Potuguese, mainly because I prefer a quieter route.
Am I missing out?

A strong contender is Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago. Near the Ocean, great path, good views, and of course great seafood!
I walked it last year, but this year would be in reverse, heading towards SdC. So a bit of a change.

Any thoughts most appreciated, particulary re the last 100 kms of the Sanabres.

Plan2.jpg

EDIT. Miscalculation on the ascent for Sanabres. Should be 6,850m.
(according to Brierley Guide)
See below.

Plan3.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Robo
I think Pat might enjoy your strong contender. Simply for the reasons you’ve quoted. Just hope you find a dry 10days and it could be perfect. I don’t recall any really bad hills - meaning that on foot ., you can always just take a breather.
The sanabrés from Ourense has a lot to offer too - Although the more heavy going climbs are before Ourense - after Ourense, the climbs that come to mind are really the initial climb out of Ourense. (And you would be starting there. / there is also a climb (stairs or carretera) out of Punta Ulla.
I could be forgetting 🤔 but it’s doable.
It can be soggy if it’s been raining too / you would have covered the last couple of stages of the Sanabrés when you walked the Invierno .. they join up, I think at A Laxe.

Buen camino ( it’s raining here in spain now. ).

Hi Robo
I think Pat might enjoy your strong contender. Simply for the reasons you’ve quoted. Just hope you find a dry 10days and it could be perfect. I don’t recall any really bad hills - meaning that on foot ., you can always just take a breather.
The sanabrés from Ourense has a lot to offer too - Although the more heavy going climbs are before Ourense - after Ourense, the climbs that come to mind are really the initial climb out of Ourense. (And you would be starting there. / there is also a climb (stairs or carretera) out of Punta Ulla.
I could be forgetting 🤔 but it’s doable.
It can be soggy if it’s been raining too / you would have covered the last couple of stages of the Sanabrés when you walked the Invierno .. they join up, I think at A Laxe.

Buen camino ( it’s raining here in spain now. ).

Oh you're there! So jealous :)
Thanks for the tips,
I recall the climb out of Punta Ulla at the end of the Invierno (they merge at A Laxe).

I was so looking forward to a nice lunch there.
But everything, I mean everything including the store was shut! :oops:

But I ended up with a wondeful dinner at a place that deserves a shameless plug!
Run by a mother and daughter, in an old Farmhouse that is like a Parador!

One reason I want to take Pat on the Sanabres is to stay here again.
OK, very un Pilgrim like, but we promise to stay in lots of Albegues to balance it up a bit :rolleyes:

Wonderful hosts. I came across the 'Daughter' speaking english with her own young daughters.
She explained it was to supplement their English classes at School. Lovely people.

I just looked at their website again.
It appears now they may only provide dinner at weekends.
Better check if you plan to stay there.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Although the more heavy going climbs are before Ourense - after Ourense, the climbs that come to mind are really the initial climb out of Ourense.
Oh I remember that climb! In 2022 I had to isolate for several days in Ourense after contracting Covid. When I was symptom-free and ready to resume, I started walking out of Ourense and then boom!

OK, very un Pilgrim like
Since when is a little luxury un pilgrim like? If you can afford it, do it.
That's the way it's been for over a thousand years, who are you and I to buck that much history?
Suggestion: present Pat with two options: one, the Sanabres; two, something like the Inglés - because yes, I think you're missing out. Very, very different caminos. I'm sure others will have nice, quieter options that you have yet to complete.

I'm not that interested in the Ingles and Potuguese, mainly because I prefer a quieter route.
Am I missing out?
I’m not a big fan of the last 100km of most caminos. The Portuguese from Tui + Variante Espiritual is the exception to this, so that would be my firm recommendation. Also lots of accommodation options and cafés etc to stop at to make it easier for Pat (although not so much on the VE).

As for quieter routes, it’s true that it’s not that. But are you sure you prefer quieter routes? 😉

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m not a big fan of the last 100km of most caminos. The Portuguese from Tui + Variante Espiritual is the exception to this, so that would be my firm recommendation. Also lots of accommodation options and cafés etc to stop at to make it easier for Pat (although not so much on the VE).

As for quieter routes, it’s true that it’s not that. But are you sure you prefer quieter routes?

Ok, got me!
But that was just three days :)

The Portuguese from Tui + Variante Espiritual is the exception to this, so that would be my firm recommendation.
Yes- a great idea. I tried this last November 2023, and didn’t get a dry day. It took the gloss off the whole camino. Rained continually, on boat ride and all way into Santiago.
There were some heavy going downhill rocky sections last November on the espiritual variant caused by rain . I’m sure it’s been fixed and as I said before -with the absence of rain , a great camino. There is noticeably fewer pilgrims once you split from the central route to the espiritual variant so I wouldn’t say it is very crowded.

I love the Varíante Espiritual from Valença. Beautiful and easy ALSA bus ride from Santiago. Just one hill to speak of right before Armenteira and the next stage is one of my favorites of all Caminos Ruta da Pedra e da Auga. The Sanabrés from Ourense is also easy to get to and less strenuous than the Invierno with a bit of a hill as Annie & Jungleboy report above, avoid it at high noon. El Mosteiro de Oseira is awesome and has a new Albergue. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Robo,

Have you and Pat though about doing a "stretch" of a Camino with some interesting things to see and visit? Maybe part of the Mozarabe through Cordoba or Grenada? Maybe the Aragones where there's lots of side trips? Even parts of the Camino El Cid which can have lots of castles or other history, but doesn't go towards Santiago.

Hi @Robo,

Have you and Pat though about doing a "stretch" of a Camino with some interesting things to see and visit? Maybe part of the Mozarabe through Cordoba or Grenada? Maybe the Aragones where there's lots of side trips? Even parts of the Camino El Cid which can have lots of castles or other history, but doesn't go towards Santiago.
Yes, we have those on our to do list.
But for this next one she’d like to finish in Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Any thoughts most appreciated, particulary re the last 100 kms of the Sanabres.
My actuals from 2023:

Sanabres (from Ourense): 120 km, 3030m of ascent
Variante (from Valenca)" 148 km walking, 3162 m of ascent.
'
Edit: steepest slopes were after Ourense, Oseira and Ponte Ulla. 17% over about 7.5 km, 15% over 2.3 km and 12% over 5 km respectively, although averages on those stretches are less severe.

Last edited:
My actuals from 2023:

Sanabres (from Ourense): 120 km, 3030m of ascent
Variante (from Valenca)" 148 km walking, 3162 m of ascent.
'
Edit: steepest slopes were after Ourense, Oseira and Ponte Ulla. 17% over about 7.5 km, 15% over 2.3 km and 12% over 5 km respectively, although averages on those stretches are less severe.
I must check my figures!
Was surprised at the Sanabres hills.
Must be an error

Edit. I checked my figures and I think I must have added an extra days elevation on the Samabres.
But using the Brierley guide, I still get 6,850m of ascent from Ourense?
I'm curious why we get such different figues @dougfitz

Plan3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, @Robo after the rice cooker, I was wondering what on earth you could be considering taking this time.
I'll just say I loved the Sanabres way more than the way from Tui BUT it's very likely Queen Robo would like the other if she's not fond of hills. Have you explained that generally speaking you need to climb a hill to get a spectacular view? You could always do what I did with my kids - let them stop whenever they wanted and dictate when the whole group should start again. In reality they never rested for long!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, @Robo after the rice cooker, I was wondering what on earth you could be considering taking this time.
I'll just say I loved the Sanabres way more than the way from Tui BUT it's very likely Queen Robo would like the other if she's not fond of hills. Have you explained that generally speaking you need to climb a hill to get a spectacular view? You could always do what I did with my kids - let them stop whenever they wanted and dictate when the whole group should start again. In reality they never rested for long!

With short days the 'Princess' will cope fine. She likes the views too.
It's a tough call.
The pull of the Sanabres is strong within this Pilgrim......:)

The Sanabres should be quieter, slightly less road walking (kills her feet - plantaar facia), more 'in nature'.
And it's a new route for me which is always preferred.
And Pat will get to experience a couple of nice Albergues.

The other front runner, Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago, has a lot going for it though, even though I walked it last year the other way, starting in Santiago.
Also great views. Pat gets to see Muxia (big plus), nice countryside, a greater selection of 'Princess' appropriate accomodations, and for both of us.........great fish/seafood meals in Muxia, Lires, Fisterra, Corcubion.........

I think the food might swing it ;)

Though the Sanabres would be next 'cab off the rank' when Pat decides to join me again......

I'm curious why we get such different figues @dougfitz
These were my actuals from walking the route!! I don't recall avoiding any large hills, certainly not to the extent that would account for nearly 4000 m of climb. I think I would have noticed that :)

Out of curiosity, I used the CNIG tracks. Without the complementary route to Oseira, from Ourense they total 107 km and 2829 m of climb. The complementary route is 34.7 km and 949 m of climb. I did the complementary route separately - there are some gaps when I try and join the main and complementary routes together, and my curiosity only goes so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back