• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If at first you don't succeed, try-try again and again, and again....

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
I walked my first Camino in September of 2013 at the age of 74. I was quite fit from years of hiking and backpacking in my home state of New Hampshire, but in no way a true athlete. However I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 32 days with two days off in the middle. Easy peasy. The next summer I walked from Pau, France to Puente la Reina on the Camino Aragones. When I was first walking the France route I remember being fascinated by seeing a small Refugio just after the Col de Lepoeder crossing the Spanish border out of France. There I saw a sign for a trail intersecting called the GR 11, the Ruta Transpirenaica, and thinking to myself. Hmmm, maybe someday.

The third year, I stayed at home and kept wishing that I was in Spain. So on the fourth year of this personal Odyssey I went back to Spain and started on the GR 11 where is crosses the Camino Frances in Burguete (2016) After getting a taste of this route I returned the next summer at the age of 78 back onto the GR 11 (2017)

Unable to keep Spain and the Caminos out of my blood, I Began the Camino del Norte in Irun in 2018 but due to a foot problem developed from badly fitting shoes I quit in Deba. I returned to the Norte again in 2019 and walked from Deba to to Bilbao where I took a bus to Santiago to meet some friends who had just completed the Portuguese Camino as they completed the International Appalachian Trail completing the route from Georgia in the US to Morocco. 4800 miles over a period of about several years.

Since I was now in Santiago, instead of returning to Bilbao and continuing, I walked instead to Finisterre and then went home.

The following year, 2020, Covid hit and I stayed home again, sorely missing walking in Spain.

However, the next September, 2021 I was back in Bilbao and continued my Camino but only made it to Santander. Old and tired at 82 and still carrying my full pack.

Here we go again. Last September, 2022 I returned again to Santander and this time made it to Gijon where I took a bus to Oveido to spend a few days and visit the wonderful Naranco World Heritage site.

It was a wonderful visit until I came down with a healthy or unhealthy if you will, bout of Covid, which sent me home again after a bit of isolation.

Today as I write this it is June 24th 2023 and I have a ticket from Boston to Santander to begin again in Gijon on August 31st. I am trying again to finish the Camino del Norte at the ripe old age of 84. I will be training all summer at home, and for the very first time letting Correos carry my main pack.. So there you have it. The Camino del Norte on the four year plan. Sincerely, Old Hillwalker

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked my first Camino in September of 2013 at the age of 74. I was quite fit from years of hiking and backpacking in my home state of New Hampshire, but in no way a true athlete. However I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 32 days with two days off in the middle. Easy peasy. The next summer I walked from Pau, France to Puente la Reina on the Camino Aragones. When I was first walking the France route I remember being fascinated by seeing a small Refugio just after the Col de Lepoeder crossing the Spanish border out of France. There I saw a sign for a trail intersecting called the GR 11, the Ruta Transpirenaica, and thinking to myself. Hmmm, maybe someday.

The third year, I stayed at home and kept wishing that I was in Spain. So on the fourth year of this personal Odyssey I went back to Spain and started on the GR 11 where is crosses the Camino Frances in Burguete (2016) After getting a taste of this route I returned the next summer at the age of 78 back onto the GR 11 (2017)

Unable to keep Spain and the Caminos out of my blood, I Began the Camino del Norte in Irun in 2018 but due to a foot problem developed from badly fitting shoes I quit in Deba. I returned to the Norte again in 2019 and walked from Deba to to Bilbao where I took a bus to Santiago to meet some friends who had just completed the Portuguese Camino as they completed the International Appalachian Trail completing the route from Georgia in the US to Morocco. 4800 miles over a period of about several years.

Since I was now in Santiago, instead of returning to Bilbao and continuing, I walked instead to Finisterre and then went home.

The following year, 2020, Covid hit and I stayed home again, sorely missing walking in Spain.

However, the next September, 2021 I was back in Bilbao and continued my Camino but only made it to Santander. Old and tired at 82 and still carrying my full pack.

Here we go again. Last September, 2022 I returned again to Santander and this time made it to Gijon where I took a bus to Oveido to spend a few days and visit the wonderful Naranco World Heritage site.

It was a wonderful visit until I came down with a healthy or unhealthy if you will, bout of Covid, which sent me home again after a bit of isolation.

Today as I write this it is June 24th 2023 and I have a ticket from Boston to Santander to begin again in Gijon on August 31st. I am trying again to finish the Camino del Norte at the ripe old age of 84. I will be training all summer at home, and for the very first time letting Correos carry my main pack.. So there you have it. The Camino del Norte on the four year plan. Sincerely, Old Hillwalker
Absolutely inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! All the best on the next stage of your journey! Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Absolutely made my day…so inspiring. Buen Camino…walk proudly into Santiago
Compostela…a great journey!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Absolutely awesome. An inspiration to us all.
I have a friend who hiked a major part of the Frances in May 2019 at the age of 81. I hiked from Leon to Santiago several weeks later, and on to Finisterre. I believe he's hiking part of the Aragones this year at age 85. Age is only a number...

Buen Camino. Keep us posted on your journey.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is the one of the posts I really enjoy reading in this forum and thank you very much for sharing your experience!

It’s truly inspirational. I’ll be doing my very first Camino (CF) in mid April next year when I’m 69 years young. I’ll follow your “footsteps” for as long as I can, Old Hillwalker! Buen Camino!

So encouraging to a newbie preparing for her first Camino! Thank you for the inspiration!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Great! My body is falling apart at 78 but I've got my ticket for Spain in September. I don't carry my pack which makes a big difference. I also did the San Salvador and part of the Primitivo in 2021. My friends wanted to quit the Primitivo and we took taxi to Sarria which I hated. I prefer to hike alone but I have balance problems so don't know what I'll do this time. I loved the Norte. Buen Camino.

Today as I write this it is June 24th 2023 and I have a ticket from Boston to Santander to begin again in Gijon on August 31st. I am trying again to finish the Camino del Norte at the ripe old age of 84. I will be training all summer at home, and for the very first time letting Correos carry my main pack.. So there you have it. The Camino del Norte on the four year plan. Sincerely, Old

Amazing! I love that you are returning again and again. At age 84, you are having your Uranus return in astrology. Uranus is the planet of surprise and the unexpected. Sometimes when we do brave and bold things, as you are doing, we live into our Uranus in a way that makes this transit easier. Good for you. I hope you have an amazing trip and that you have happy feet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Your story inspired me to continue to return to Spain. Buen Camino! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

I've mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I met a gentleman on the veranda in Orisson. We stumbled on the fact we were both Marines stationed in Quantico, Virginia. We hiked together off and on until Pamplona. He was 86, I was 75. When we were hiking together, we joked that we were probably the oldest duo on the trail at a combined age of 161 years!

Today as I write this it is June 24th 2023 and I have a ticket from Boston to Santander to begin again in Gijon on August 31st. I am trying again to finish the Camino del Norte at the ripe old age of 84. I will be training all summer at home, and for the very first time letting Correos carry my main pack.. So there you have it. The Camino del Norte on the four year plan. Sincerely, Old Hill Walker Well, I'm back walking the Norte.. I started in San Vicente de la Barquera yesterday and walked to Unquera today. An easy 10 miles or so. You know, when old age creeps up on you, it's much faster than a creep. I'm determined to complete the Norte this year in my 84th year living on this wonderful Blue Marble. Later all....Old Hillwaker

Amazing! I love that you are returning again and again. At age 84, you are having your Uranus return in astrology. Uranus is the planet of surprise and the unexpected. Sometimes when we do brave and bold things, as you are doing, we live into our Uranus in a way that makes this transit easier. Good for you. I hope you have an amazing trip and that you have happy feet.
Tell us more. This is not a perspective I’ve come across before. I thought the OP was simply putting some effort in and doing what he wanted to do - which is to be applauded.

Big B*lls should be your middle name! At the age of 69, I understand from your story that my Caminos have not ended yet: Inspirational, and THANK YOU!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.