• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overheating Gortex Shoes

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi everyone I'm planning on walking Camino Portuguese in September and have just purchased a pair of meindl respond gtx shoes. I was worried about Breathability issues but overall thought it best to go with gortex. I'm wearing lightweight Bridgedale (?)socks and my feet are really hot and sweaty even on short walks. It's not an option to return them and I can't afford another pair of shoes. Any sock advice? I need thick but light socks? Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum and Buen Camino!

I have walked in just about everything, boots and shoes with and without Gortex and trail runners and different kinds of socks with different mixes of Merino/synthetic. When I walk long distances (25 K+) my feet get hot no matter what, I think that’s just the way it is. Currently I walk in Meindl GTX shoes and I find them quite comfortable. The standard cork insoles of the Meindl footwear are actually quite well ventilated and good at absorbing moisture. I think your best option is to take breaks regularly, take off your shoes and air your feet and every day after walking, remove the insoles to let the shoes and soles dry out during the night. Hot feet go naturally with walking long distances ;), don’t let that discourage you, just keep an eye out for ‘hot-spots’ that could evolve into blisters.

I wear Goretex year round with Smartwool medium PhD socks and am always comfortable. Or try a pair of thin Wigwam tencel socks as an wicking liner sock with your current socks.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my Camino (CF, July/August) I wore Merrell hiking shoes with Goretex and didn't find them too hot. Inside were Wright double layer cotton socks (the one's with the "blister-proof" claim).

On my Camino (CF, July/August) I wore Merrell hiking shoes with Goretex and didn't find them too hot. Inside were Wright double layer cotton socks (the one's with the "blister-proof" claim).
I didn't know that Wright Socks made cotton socks. Mine are synthetic with the inner layer made of Cool Mesh. I also have some with a merino wool outer layer.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm still amazed how many and mostly north Americans use Gortex expression. Because it is not, it is GoreTex. Why did that (Gortex) expression came so much into the language???

I found that wading through any stream I found in my fabric trainers cooled my feet down wonderfully and the gortex lining kept my feet dry.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm still amazed how many and mostly north Americans use Gortex expression. Because it is not, it is GoreTex. Why did that (Gortex) expression came so much into the language???
I see no difference in pronunciation. I imagine that many people just don't know the spelling.

I wore Merrell Moabs in temperatures above 40 along the Meseta last year , the GoreTex [ do I pass spelling Miss ?:)] lining made my feet sweat terribly . I countered this by wearing liner socks , nothing thicker , and changing them three times a day . Worked wonders , no need for clean socks , just dry ones , pin the manky ones to your back pack and swap them when dry .

Because it is not, it is GoreTex. Why did that (Gortex) expression came so much into the language???
Technically, the registered trademark is GORE-TEX(r) (https://www.gore.com/products/categories/fabrics?view=gore-tex-fabrics). And the answer is, for simplicity's sake. Also, at this point, the name is used to refer to the entire category of waterproof/breatheable fabrics, regardless of manufacturer.

We observe this phenomenon throughout the history of consumer products. Does anyone have a kleenex?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sticking with the theme of hot feet on the Camino, can anyone recommend a cream for heat rash? I got it on my feet last year and someone let me use some of their cream to get rid of it, sadly I forgot to take down the name of it. My feet and me would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Wandalina, I have always worn a very light weight Gore Tex walking shoe with merino wool socks - one pair and no liner and no blisters. The Gore Tex did nothing to keep my feet dry when it rained. My feet also did get hot, but they often will when walking. What helped me was to change the insole of my shoes during the day. I purchased a memory foam insole (heaven for your feet) and a more fitted insole. Next time I'm wearing non-Gore Tex walking shoes/trail walkers so that they dry out quicker.

I wear non Goretex trail runners for that very reason. I also wear just liner socks as Charles above. Since you are not going to change your shoes, at least stop and take your shoes and socks off every two hours and let your feet cool down. Your liner socks will probably dry out during that time, but if they are wet, change to dry ones.

Technically, the registered trademark is GORE-TEX(r) (https://www.gore.com/products/categories/fabrics?view=gore-tex-fabrics). And the answer is, for simplicity's sake. Also, at this point, the name is used to refer to the entire category of waterproof/breatheable fabrics, regardless of manufacturer.

We observe this phenomenon throughout the history of consumer products. Does anyone have a kleenex?

I will let you know as soon as I finish putting a bandaid on my foot where I stepped on some legos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
I found that wading through any stream I found in my fabric trainers cooled my feet down wonderfully and the gortex lining kept my feet dry.

There was a time, long, long ago no one had waterproof boots for tramping (back-packing, hiking) in the bush (sub-tropical rain forest) in the local hills (from 100 m to 1500 m [from 300 feet to 5,000 feet] above sea level).

Early on I found great enjoyment in itself when crossing through streams and rivers and getting very wet feet and socks.

These days (away from the bush) I wear running shoes with a mesh top when walking: I generate quite a bit of heat and so need a way for that to escape my feet.

Now, when I walk through wide shallow streams on one of my routes along a beach, I rejoice. The natural heat of my feet and the mesh top of my shoes takes care of things nicely over the next 30 minutes or so.

Regretably I recall no similar opportunities anywhere in Europe - every stream had a bridge and the stability of the stream-bed was too uncertain to chance it.

So, from my perspective, the focus on water-proof shoes seems like an effort to overcome a phobia. And, from some stories above, the creation of consequential dificulties to be overcome in their turn.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Common usage - like Duck Tape instead of Duct Tape. I'm sure Gore-Tex isn't that fussed ;)

I think I suffer from poor circulation in my feet. They are like blocks of ice in winter, and overheat dreadfully in the summer. I was going to wear GTX Merrill Moabs for my first camino, the CF, but at the last minute switched to trainers as I was getting heat rash even from short walks in coolish weather. Since then, I've done another 5 walks in trainers and never regretted my choice. The mesh tops help keep the feet cool, and when I have got them soaking (paddling in streams when the path was flooded), they soon dried out. Mind you, they smelt terrible by the end of the walk!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
By
Hi Wandalina, I have always worn a very light weight Gore Tex walking shoe with merino wool socks - one pair and no liner and no blisters. The Gore Tex did nothing to keep my feet dry when it rained. My feet also did get hot, but they often will when walking. What helped me was to change the insole of my shoes during the day. I purchased a memory foam insole (heaven for your feet) and a more fitted insole. Next time I'm wearing non-Gore Tex walking shoes/trail walkers so that they dry out quicker.
Great advice I'll def look into the extra insoles

Just confirming some of the above advice from my personal experience (four Camino walks). I wear Wright socks (very light, thin, double) and take breaks without socks and shoes to dry and cool off my feet. I have not had a single blister yet and hope to keep that way during my 1000 KM walk this fall on Via Francigena. Good luck!

No gortex shoes, it traps moisture in turn softnes the skin, and if gets wet good luck drying it. So no gortex use a breathable shoes and change socks at twice.

Zzotte

Sticking with the theme of hot feet on the Camino, can anyone recommend a cream for heat rash? I got it on my feet last year and someone let me use some of their cream to get rid of it, sadly I forgot to take down the name of it. My feet and me would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I have the same question . . . I have been training to walk the CF in September and the biggest issue I have is a heat rash on my feet and ankles . . . I have been wearing injinji toes liners (they keep my toes from rubbing and happy) with smartwool lightweight socks. Started with silk liners, also tried cool-max. When I walk anything more than 6 miles (10km) I end up with a heat rash. Have had no blister problems at all. While hydrocortisone cream helps, as does airing out my feet every couple of hours, I would love to hear any other suggestions. Latest one was to try wool liners since wool is more heat regulating . . . I plan to try it, but am not sure it will help. My shoes are Merrill Moab low-cut which provides the support and stability my feet need (also like Vibrum soles). Hoping you (and I) hear some other suggestions.

The rash you get may actually be a histamine reaction to your own blood and fluids building up in your feet. Sounds crazy but it can happen, at least thats what my training Doc tells me. Something about your feet pooling fluids as your walk causing the tissues to freak out. As long as it does not break the skin and does not itch, it can be scary to see but nothing to worry about. I had it every day on Camino after 10 miles and no issues.

Take pics and ask your doc if you are worried just to make sure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The rash you get may actually be a histamine reaction to your own blood and fluids building up in your feet. Sounds crazy but it can happen, at least thats what my training Doc tells me. Something about your feet pooling fluids as your walk causing the tissues to freak out. As long as it does not break the skin and does not itch, it can be scary to see but nothing to worry about. I had it every day on Camino after 10 miles and no issues.

Take pics and ask your doc if you are worried just to make sure.
Malachiuri,
Thank you for your reply. I had kind of related this to what some people call golfer's verticulitis, a rash that develops due to heat and blood not circulating back up from the feet too well. What you say makes sense to me. I did show the pictures to my primary care doctor but she didn't have any real suggestions. So far the skin hasn't broken . . . and while the rash can itch, it usually is better the next morning (although not gone). I have been using cortisone cream, perhaps I should try benadryl instead. We still have 6 weeks until we leave, so I continue to work on how to minimalize this. Taking my shoes and socks off more often and cooling my feet with water seems to help. I figure it will be "a thorn in my side" (to quote St. Paul) on my Camino.

My favourite and only camino walking shoes. 25 caminos and over 15000km and No Blisters. Usually get over 2000km from a pair buen camino

I'll be wearing Salomon X Ultra 2 GTX shoes, as I have for the last couple of years. For me they're fine. I regularly walk 15 to 20 miles. My feet do get a bit hot and the socks get slightly moist but I've not had a blister for many many years. On a good day I will stop at about the halfway point and 'air' the feet for 15 minutes or so. Socks will make some difference to the walking experience. I just use one pair. Currently it's either Icebreaker Medium Hike merinos or Lopren T3 Midweight Hikers. Both are ok but there's just something about the Icebreakers that my feet seem to prefer. Recently acquired a pair of Smartwools but not yet tried out. Best of Luck with your Camino. I hope to commence the Camino Frances on Sept 22.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There was a time, long, long ago no one had waterproof boots for tramping (back-packing, hiking) in the bush (sub-tropical rain forest) in the local hills (from 100 m to 1500 m [from 300 feet to 5,000 feet] above sea level).

Early on I found great enjoyment in itself when crossing through streams and rivers and getting very wet feet and socks.

These days (away from the bush) I wear running shoes with a mesh top when walking: I generate quite a bit of heat and so need a way for that to escape my feet.

Now, when I walk through wide shallow streams on one of my routes along a beach, I rejoice. The natural heat of my feet and the mesh top of my shoes takes care of things nicely over the next 30 minutes or so.

Regretably I recall no similar opportunities anywhere in Europe - every stream had a bridge and the stability of the stream-bed was too uncertain to chance it.

So, from my perspective, the focus on water-proof shoes seems like an effort to overcome a phobia. And, from some stories above, the creation of consequential dificulties to be overcome in their turn.

One never knows...this past winter the whole Camino Frances was often a stream..there was so much rain. I imagine many Gortex walkers (BTW I am fine with no dash.. in between) were happy to be wearing them!

Malachiuri,
Thank you for your reply. I had kind of related this to what some people call golfer's verticulitis, a rash that develops due to heat and blood not circulating back up from the feet too well. What you say makes sense to me. I did show the pictures to my primary care doctor but she didn't have any real suggestions. So far the skin hasn't broken . . . and while the rash can itch, it usually is better the next morning (although not gone). I have been using cortisone cream, perhaps I should try benadryl instead. We still have 6 weeks until we leave, so I continue to work on how to minimalize this. Taking my shoes and socks off more often and cooling my feet with water seems to help. I figure it will be "a thorn in my side" (to quote St. Paul) on my Camino.
I wrote a similar post about this issue last week and received some helpful advice. Mine is definitely heat and distance related. I will certainly try to avoid training in extreme heat and elevate the legs up a wall post walking to allow the blood and lymph to return throughout the body. Hydrocortisone does help settle the rash and itch. Good luck and hope to see you in 6 weeks time along the trail.

€149,-
@Wandalina think about sandals. Most people take a pair and if they are proper walking sandals then you have a back up if your boots become too hot.

In my case I now wear sandals on all my caminos. The Norte, the CF (twice), the Via de la Plata, the Madrid.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.