• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Overwhelmed...Derwen

Derwen Rhys

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014
I have only just managed to find time to read all the replys to my post a few days ago. i am completely gobsmacked. Today has been like a warm spring day. I left Villafranca at 6 and have arrived on the outskirts of burgos. Today has been one of the most important days of my camino. I walked alone... no other caminotti to be seen in either direction. It truly felt like I had that path to my self. As I left Villafranca a small cat ran ahead of me for a quarter of a mile. She left me at the pines and the birds took over her guardianship. A female robin bobbed ahead of me then nightjars low and encouraging just ahead. My senses felt completely switched on. The birds passed me on to the marbled butterfly's...my companions for miles. I suddenly realised I was smiling from ear to ear. My pace was true and right. No hurry, but definitely going somewhere. On the outskirts of San juan I saw and old pilgrim hobbling toward me . He is probably well known. A scruffy beard and pilgrim hat, tatty clothes and pack. A small red, green and yellow striped flag on his straps...an old soviet republic perhaps?...a small puppy yapping beside him on a piece of string. We spoke in signs and grunts, a bit of French. I wished him 'Bon chance' and walked on. Fifty paces on I turned, looked at him and his dog... Going where? The village I had come from was many miles back. I started running back after him, " Monsieur, monsieur attente!" I caught up to him shook his hand and put some euros in his grasp. "Bon chance monsieur, ou vous allez." Where ever you are going. I stumbled away embarrassed. " Monsieur" he called after me.."thankyou!"

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"I walked alone... no other caminotti to be seen in either direction. It truly felt like I had that path to my self."
Derwin - I think the Camino found you and spoke to you! Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have only just managed to find time to read all the replys to my post a few days ago. i am completely gobsmacked. Today has been like a warm spring day. I left Villafranca at 6 and have arrived on the outskirts of burgos. Today has been one of the most important days of my camino. I walked alone... no other caminotti to be seen in either direction. It truly felt like I had that path to my self. As I left Villafranca a small cat ran ahead of me for a quarter of a mile. She left me at the pines and the birds took over her guardianship. A female robin bobbed ahead of me then nightjars low and encouraging just ahead. My senses felt completely switched on. The birds passed me on to the marbled butterfly's...my companions for miles. I suddenly realised I was smiling from ear to ear. My pace was true and right. No hurry, but definitely going somewhere. On the outskirts of San juan I saw and old pilgrim hobbling toward me . He is probably well known. A scruffy beard and pilgrim hat, tatty clothes and pack. A small red, green and yellow striped flag on his straps...an old soviet republic perhaps?...a small puppy yapping beside him on a piece of string. We spoke in signs and grunts, a bit of French. I wished him 'Bon chance' and walked on. Fifty paces on I turned, looked at him and his dog... Going where? The village I had come from was many miles back. I started running back after him, " Monsieur, monsieur attente!" I caught up to him shook his hand and put some euros in his grasp. "Bon chance monsieur "ou vous allez." Where ever you are going. I stumbled away embarrassed. " Monsieur" he called after me.."thankyou!"

After reading your post from a few days ago, this is one of the most wonderful messages I've seen on this forum, and beautifully expressed. Jeepers mate, I hope you make it to Santiago because I am so looking forward to your reports along the way!

Some of my best days were days I walked alone on the Camino. My preference was to rise early, about six, and head out in the darkness. Using my flashlight I would search for the comforting Camino signs and then turn my light off and just enjoy the morning sky. It is so quiet in the morning hours. The only sound I would hear was the crunch of my boots on the gravel and the click of my sticks. Usually after walking a couple of hours I would start seeing other peregrinos. For me the Camino offered the best of two worlds - solitude when I wanted and companionship when I needed it. I walked with South Koreans, Brits, Irish, Germans, French, Puerto Ricans, Spanish, Italians, Australians, Canadians, Americans, and even one from Russia. Buen Camino - Lorenzo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have only just managed to find time to read all the replys to my post a few days ago. i am completely gobsmacked. Today has been like a warm spring day. I left Villafranca at 6 and have arrived on the outskirts of burgos. Today has been one of the most important days of my camino. I walked alone... no other caminotti to be seen in either direction. It truly felt like I had that path to my self. As I left Villafranca a small cat ran ahead of me for a quarter of a mile. She left me at the pines and the birds took over her guardianship. A female robin bobbed ahead of me then nightjars low and encouraging just ahead. My senses felt completely switched on. The birds passed me on to the marbled butterfly's...my companions for miles. I suddenly realised I was smiling from ear to ear. My pace was true and right. No hurry, but definitely going somewhere. On the outskirts of San juan I saw and old pilgrim hobbling toward me . He is probably well known. A scruffy beard and pilgrim hat, tatty clothes and pack. A small red, green and yellow striped flag on his straps...an old soviet republic perhaps?...a small puppy yapping beside him on a piece of string. We spoke in signs and grunts, a bit of French. I wished him 'Bon chance' and walked on. Fifty paces on I turned, looked at him and his dog... Going where? The village I had come from was many miles back. I started running back after him, " Monsieur, monsieur attente!" I caught up to him shook his hand and put some euros in his grasp. "Bon chance monsieur, ou vous allez." Where ever you are going. I stumbled away embarrassed. " Monsieur" he called after me.."thankyou!"
That's just beautiful. I know that feeling I will always remember the very first time I felt like that and let me tell you you will have many more of these beautiful moments as you travel. Stay safe and keep that smile from ear to ear. I'm smiling from reading your post. X Buen camino.

Keep going Derwen, we leave Sarria on 23rd, if we meet I'd be happy to walk a few k,s with you... My sons name is Rhys, I haven't seen him for 3 years, I guess he's taking his own path.. keep listening and absorbing what's around you, Buen camino..!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

When I've been reading your post I remembered this stage... It was 3 years ago but it seems to me it was yesterday.. Whenever I close my eyes I see this route: beautiful , gentle mountains, green grass, green trees, the smell of heather ( it was September) and twitter of the birds... I felt very happy going alone, I could easily enjoy everything that I've seen ... This day was one of the best days on Camino.
Enjoy this road .... and Buen Camino !

Attachments

• DSCN2789.JPG
    DSCN2789.JPG
    976.7 KB · Views: 18
Your post answer the question that has been on this forum for some time, does one give to people on the Camino looking for a hand out. You my friend if I may call you a friend did so out of the goodness of your heart. No one asked you, you just did. That old man just might have been God, for sure he was one of Gods children. Bless you.
Buen Camino

That lucky old man. You never know what makes others walk. We all have a different story.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Awesome! Don't stop walking!

Thank you for your heat felt posts. I am starting my Camino on the 2 Sept and I have been wondering if The Way is all sunshine and roses :). Your posts have put my mind (and heart) at ease...I see now there will be days that are harder than others...but I also see that there will be days that will be perfect for me :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dear Derwen, I remember how it took me till the first day after Burgos to realize exactly how I needed to walk my own Camino and decide each day on a pace that was right for me. Here at home months after my pilgrimage I recognize the waymarks you've mentioned and remember myself at those same places last year. I loved your latest post and felt relieved that your journey is becoming filled with interesting encounters and sources of delight. I've appreciated everybody else's caring contributions toward healing your spirit and illuminating your pilgrimage. We care.
Buen Camino.
Carmen

Glad to hear that you are hanging in there. The Camino always has something to teach you, something new for you to see, or someone new for you to meet. Just keeping putting one foot in front of the other and absorb the wonder and beauty of the Camino. Buen Camino.

Well - being the slow and pokey one on the way, I only found overwhelmed-derwen after posting to crisis... I'm SO happy to see this update!! Derwen, I love the way you were being passed on by your Camino 'friends'! I didn't realize that's what was happening when I walked last year, but you've made it so clear, and I'll pay more attention this fall. Thank you! Terry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.